• 105 results
Edited 1 year, 9 months ago

Poll: Which of these fears do you have? (343 votes)

Heights 43%
Thunder/lightning 3%
Needles/injections 18%
The dark 11%
Flying 8%
Ghosts 4%
Small spaces 16%
Public speaking 37%
ALIENS (for Patrick) 3%
Dying 27%
Being alone 20%
Spiders 43%
Snakes 17%
Clowns 10%

You know, a positive poll for a change

#1 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -

Spiders and other bugs. Thankfully I live in Sweden where European hornets are as bad as it gets, if I lived someplace where large flying bugs and spiders roamed the outdoors and cockroaches invaded homes I would probably do what Jeff said in the Deadly Creatures Quick Look and lock myself in a bug-proof cage forever.

Also what is up with this poll result I got:

#2 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -
#3 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -
@icemael said:

Spiders and other bugs. Thankfully I live in Sweden where European hornets are as bad as it gets, if I lived someplace where large flying bugs and spiders roamed the outdoors and cockroaches invaded homes I would probably do what Jeff said in the Deadly Creatures Quick Look and lock myself in a bug-proof cage forever.

Also what is up with this poll result I got:

Everyone can choose as many options as they want so the percentages are weird. Looks like someone decided to pick everything on the list for whatever reason in that screen shot.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Why would I openly reveal my fears?

#5 Edited by NickL (2247 posts) -

If you don't I will have to cover all bases and do everything on the list to you at the same time.

#6 Edited by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

Public Speaking is going to be mighty high up there. I think that was recorded as the #1 most common fear in the world.

#7 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3778 posts) -

Heights! ~ I still kinda like roller-coasters though. I don't know how that works.

#8 Posted by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

Heights, Needles, Small Spaces, Spiders and Clowns

FUCK CLOWNS!!!! God damn them

#9 Edited by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

Heights, flying (due to heights), public speaking and spiders.

The trip to PAX East will be my first time on a plane, but I'm mentally preparing myself for it, and trying to rationalize things a bit by thinking "at least while we're up in the air, I have the plane itself around me to keep me from falling." Though if the plane were to crash, that line of thinking won't exactly help...

#10 Posted by Donkeycow (558 posts) -

I said spiders, public speaking, and death, though i am getting over the latter two.

#11 Posted by haffy (674 posts) -

Public speaking if it's something I hate, not too bad if it's something I enjoy. And spiders. Fuck spiders.

#12 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

Public speaking and being alone I hate more than anything.

#13 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

They're obviously charting out our weaknesses. One poll at a time. For years. Creating a system. Hunting us down. Dismantling us piece by piece.

#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Just heights.

#15 Posted by Pikawai (135 posts) -

Flying and spiders! Thinking about them right now makes me anxious argh...

#16 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Public speaking.

#17 Posted by darkvare (780 posts) -

you don't like CLOWNS?

#18 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Heights, public speaking, and spiders from this list. Spiders only applies to large ones. Tarantula size. Little household spiders are too easy to kill to scare me.

This list and my votes on it are not indicative of the breadth of my phobias. I have OCD and a lot of the stuff involved with that is fear based. Now as for death, not scared of that at all. Much more scared of being injured to the point that I lose control over my life. Just being dead, I kinda look forward to that, a little bit.

#19 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1857 posts) -

Spiders and heights. My own personal hell is being flanked by a cliff on one side and a bajillion human sized spiders on the other. And all of the spiders are female.

#20 Edited by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

The only one I for sure have is public speaking. And probably dying... The others are conditional. How small a space are we talking? Coffin sized? Smaller? If I can't move at all then I'd be fucking freaked, but if I can move a bit then I'll be able to stay calm.

How many snakes or spiders, and of what species are we talking? If it's just one or just a few and it's not an obviously deadly species then I'm fine. If we get into hundreds or more then it might be a different story. Or if I'm caught off guard by a particularly nasty variety of snake or spider I surely wouldn't enjoy that.

I'm not afraid of heights, but I can sometimes get a touch of vertigo if I'm particularly close to an edge and I'm not holding onto something or my feet aren't firmly planted on the ground. Yet strangely I've gone rock climbing without a harness or gear without issue. Only 40 or 45 foot rock faces max, but still, if I were afraid of heights I probably wouldn't be able to have done that.

#21 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Fuck heights.

#22 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Heights, definitely.

Well, that and failure.

#23 Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

Women making more money than I do, the earth being older than 5,000 years, Obama turning into Jewreptile form to sneak into my basement and take my guns. You probably wouldn't understand because your not objective and freethinking like me am.

#24 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Getting HIV from a fat boy that sneaks into my room. Fuck you fatass.

#25 Posted by RedCricketChase (444 posts) -

If it was specifically needles/ injections into blood vessels, then yes. As it stands..... heights and (much less so) snakes.

#26 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

Small spaces and dying.

#27 Posted by believer258 (12185 posts) -

Bees.

Where are the bees and wasps?

#28 Edited by ripelivejam (4852 posts) -

come on guys, how can you hate these cuties?

#29 Posted by ajamafalous (12151 posts) -

Dying and Being Alone

:((((

#30 Edited by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

Bees.

Where are the bees and wasps?

I'm actually deathly allergic to bee stings but I've got no great fear of them for some reason.

#31 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

@ripelivejam: FUCK MAN! Not cool. I chose Dying, Being Alone, Public Speaking and spiders. I would also add insects of really any kind, but just real ones, I actually really like non-realistic insectoid stuff. Also I have this weird thing where I want to try and catch and bag a snake with my bare hands some day. Always looks fucking rad.

#32 Posted by ripelivejam (4852 posts) -

snakes are awesome, it's a shame the deadliest ones seem to have the most adorable faces :wub:

i'm considering a hognose snake tho

HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS FACE????

but on the subject, yes fuck heights and even in my older age and despite my rationality the dark kinda irks me a bit. i also hate rollercoasters (guess that ties in w/ heights but w/e)

#33 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2609 posts) -

Of those? Heights, but it has to be pretty high up. I got over public speaking after taking Speech in High School.

I'm terrified of hornets though.

#34 Edited by Intro (1212 posts) -

None of those.

Bees.

#35 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3085 posts) -

Flying and the dark somewhat, but my biggest fear is mirrors/reflective surfaces. I'm not sure why. It's not so much that I'm afraid of them, it just really bothers me when I'm around them.

#36 Edited by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

Surprised that public speaking us so high. I'm a anti social hermit yet I kind of enjoy public speaking.

#37 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Large spaces.

#38 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Height and snakes and dying probably. First off fuck snakes. Those motherfuckers are the reason we ain't in heaven no more. Heights only make me uncomfortable but I imagine if I was really high up I wouldn't have fun. And finally I've never had a near death experience so I'll guess that I'd be scared.

#39 Edited by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

The only one that stands out to me is public speaking.

#40 Posted by big_jon (5783 posts) -

Heights for sure.

#41 Posted by roninenix (121 posts) -

Where's drowning or suffocating? I would pick those above the rest

#42 Edited by CollegeGuyMike (393 posts) -

Fear of crushing failure and ending up alone.

#43 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12109 posts) -

Spiders. and needles. And clowns.

#44 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

The idea of being stuck in a small space is terrifying to me. That movie about the dude buried alive with only a charged cellphone ? Can't even watch 5 minutes of that.

#45 Posted by probablytuna (3822 posts) -

Mad fear of heights. It's cool in video games though, especially in games like inFamous where you climb the tallest structure then jump down and take no damage. Awesome.

#46 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

Fire used to mess me up, thankfully the last five years of chemistry using Bunsen burners have largely cured me of that. I would probably learn to be scared of spiders and snakes if I lived somewhere they were dangerous and common, Scotland only has 2 dangerous animals and you're very unlikely to ever get hurt by either so I've always found it weird that people here are ever scared of animals.

#47 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5090 posts) -

Needles/injections (worst heroin addict ever), spiders (cause fuck spiders... and bugs while we're at it) and clowns (I don't have a fear of them per se, they just make me feel uncomfortable.)

#48 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

I chose dying, but I have a weird thing with heights where I'm not afraid of heights per se, rather afraid of dangling off ledges and stuff, so things (like chandeliers) scare me because I imagine myself hanging from it. Not especially strong though.

#49 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

Fuck spiders. In fact, fuck everything that is a bug/insect.

Also, needles aren't very nice either.

#50 Posted by Chibithor (573 posts) -

Out of these public speaking I guess, but why with all of these options would you not include bees?