• 105 results
Edited 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Which of these fears do you have? (343 votes)

Heights 43%
Thunder/lightning 3%
Needles/injections 18%
The dark 11%
Flying 8%
Ghosts 4%
Small spaces 16%
Public speaking 37%
ALIENS (for Patrick) 3%
Dying 27%
Being alone 20%
Spiders 43%
Snakes 17%
Clowns 10%

You know, a positive poll for a change

#51 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

I marked spiders, but I actually like spiders. It's those flying big bugs that worry me though. Big spider with wings? Check.

#52 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1647 posts) -

As some great people have said, I don't have a fear of heights. I have a fear of falling from heights.

#53 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

I chose dying, being alone, the dark, and ghosts.

The 'ghosts' I fear come from this game. D:

(Those faces... Those death animations... D: D: D: )

@intro said:

None of those.

Bees.

And yes, I must disapprove of this poll's distinct lack of a Bees option. :P

#54 Posted by SuperTess (142 posts) -

Not on this list, but I have a big fear of being underwater. I actually really love being in the water and love the ocean, as long as my head is above water. Drew talking about diving during the Reef Shot Quick Look was really cool and then he got to the part where he talked about them ripping the masks off during certification. TERRIFYING.

#55 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

Dying, being alone, and public speaking for me.

#56 Edited by Fattony12000 (7460 posts) -

#57 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

come on guys, how can you hate these cuties?

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST KILL IT WITH FIRE

#58 Posted by Kaiserreich (705 posts) -

Heights, public speaking, spiders, and clowns.

#59 Posted by MrT (162 posts) -

a real man has no fear besides AIDS

#60 Edited by stryker1121 (1465 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: The idea of being trapped in a small space and unable to move terrifies me. Was just reading one of Song of Ice N Fire books where a character describes an oubliette under Casterly Rock that "fits a man as tight as a suit of armor." You can't move, you can't sit, and you can't stop the rats from gnawing your toes. That would be my hell, even without the rats.

#61 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@stryker1121:

I agree. It's not so much even the tight space, it's the being unable to do what I want with my own body aspect that freaks me out. A lack of control. It's the reason why the idea of being paralyzed freaks me out so much.

#62 Posted by Bocam (3764 posts) -

I don't like blood

#63 Posted by RobotHamster (4172 posts) -

Fuck spiders, public speaking and needles. All those other things I'm alright with.

#64 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

While I wouldn't say I like most of those things listed, I don't think I have an inordinate fear of any of them. Except maybe clowns.

#65 Posted by ripelivejam (4080 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

naw they're harmless

DOUSE THESE MOTHERFUCKERS WITH FIRE AND NAPALM AND ACID AND SALT THE EARTH FOR GOOD MEASURE THO

#66 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Heights, flying, spiders, and clowns. I almost picked snakes too but that's more of a "this thing can kill me I'm running away" fear, whereas my fear of spiders is more primal. Really just all insects can fucking die.

#67 Posted by MocBucket62 (1234 posts) -

I'm afraid of spiders and heights. As for snakes, my college's mascot is a moccasin so oddly enough I'm not that afraid of snakes.

But in all seriousness, don't fuck with an actual moccasin, it will attack without being provoked.

#68 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

I am legit terrified at the thought of being eaten alive.

:(

#69 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -

Public speaking is one common fear that I'll never understand. It's so easy.

#70 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

Seriously? I have none of those?! I think I need to get checked.

#71 Edited by Nictel (2422 posts) -

I have this weird version of fear of heights. I can stand on the tallest building. No problem. But stairs/escalators that are in an open space: fuck that.

#72 Edited by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

You forgot nuclear warfare.

#73 Edited by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

Radioboxes in polls? Outrageous!

#74 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Heights, tight spaces and snakes. And centipedes.

I like spiders and I enjoy public speaking!

#75 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Read "public speaking" as "public parking" I guess I could see how somebody might be afraid of that.

#76 Edited by Sanity (1911 posts) -

Spiders, public speaking, and dying are my big ones. Heights used to bother me but working construction has changed that, im nervous when im on a roof sometimes but not so much that it locks me up with fear.

#77 Edited by Krataur (366 posts) -

Public speaking, though I've largely gotten over that. And I lie more on the rational fear of falling side than the irrational fear of heights in general. I'm fine with flying and love rollercoasters, for example, and would probably enjoy skydiving and bungee jumping. But tall ladders paralyze me and if you get me near the edge of a cliff...well, you'll never get me near the edge of a cliff.

It's mostly whether I feel secure or not from falling that triggers the fear, the height doesn't matter.

#78 Posted by MentalDisruption (1639 posts) -

Heights, public speaking, and spiders. So if you really want to torture me, make me give a public speech while covered in spiders and hanging from a skyscraper.

#79 Posted by CaLe (3996 posts) -

What is scary about being alone? I don't get that one.

#80 Edited by Rmack (1078 posts) -

I have an irrational fear of vomit.

(As opposed to, you know, a rational fear of vomit).

#81 Edited by MOAB (390 posts) -

SHARKS

#82 Edited by supermonkey122 (819 posts) -

Fucking spiders. Disgusting little shits. Started with Resident Evil 2, the sewer level.

#83 Edited by ShockD (2403 posts) -

Spiders and needles. They make me tremble equally.

#84 Edited by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

Sponges....fucking evil...

#85 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

The dark, dying and clowns. Also, what is up with the new Giantbomb? I've been away for months.

#86 Edited by Christophorius (4 posts) -

OMG :( So many fears(

#87 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2820 posts) -

I fear a vagina with teeth, it is common, or so I hear. It is common to fear it, not common to find it physically manifest that is to say.

@video_game_king said:

Why would I openly reveal my fears?

So you fear 'fear' itself.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”

#88 Posted by TooWalrus (13220 posts) -

None of the above? I suppose those giant mega-spiders are creepy, I wouldn't want to cuddle with one, but I'm not particularly scared of them. I'm not scared of much.

...so Other: kidney stones.

#89 Edited by Dchao (54 posts) -

I think my biggest fear is being alone.

#90 Edited by BaneFireLord (2941 posts) -

I have no problem with snakes on film or in pictures, but fuck those things IRL. They're like horrific sentient tails.

#91 Posted by Scrawnto (2452 posts) -

Heights, spiders, and dying here. You could also add talking to strangers. I don't mind public speaking, but trying to strike up a conversation with someone to whom I have not been introduced terrifies me. And that's why I'm seeing a therapist next Friday.

But heights, jeeze. I get nervous even two feet above ground level. Standing on a stepping stool makes my stomach clench. It made starting out in parkour rather tricky. I can climb up maybe twelve feet without freezing up these days, but the fear is still there.

#92 Edited by Daveyo520 (6799 posts) -

Heights which leads to flying.

#93 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

I get major vertigo. Even in games. Sometimes, especially if I've had caffeine, I get paranoid and a sort of reverse vertigo thing starts to happen if I can see the sky. Everything gets all spinny and I feel like I'm falling upwards. I can even feel it a bit right now thinking about it.

#94 Posted by PenguinDust (12533 posts) -

This is the first thing that crossed my mind.

I, myself have a fear of heights. I even experience episodes of nausea and unease when playing any video game that has the character moving about in high areas. I had to frequently take breaks while maneuvering around some of the climbing puzzles in the Uncharted games.

#95 Edited by zFUBARz (627 posts) -

On that list nothing. I might be a robot, I haven't been able to determine that yet. (never said I was a smart robot)

I do kind of find puppets eerie though, specifically the old school fireball XL5 marionette kind

I think it's the lips and eyes, they aint natural.

Love me some muppets though. Maybe I'm just being prejudice though.

@nictel: @krataur: Those height fears are probably not of the heights themselves more the potential for accidents/danger. you're much more likely to trip going down the stairs than you are to fall off the empire state building somehow. Same with skydiving and such, sure it's a flimsy attempt at safety but it's amazing what that tiny rope can do to help ease our stress levels

#96 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2820 posts) -

@zfubarz said:

On that list nothing. I might be a robot, I haven't been able to determine that yet. (never said I was a smart robot)

I do kind of find puppets eerie though, specifically the old school fireball XL5 marionette kind

I think it's the lips and eyes, they aint natural.

Love me some muppets though. Maybe I'm just being prejudice though.

@nictel: @krataur: Those height fears are probably not of the heights themselves more the potential for accidents/danger. you're much more likely to trip going down the stairs than you are to fall off the empire state building somehow. Same with skydiving and such, sure it's a flimsy attempt at safety but it's amazing what that tiny rope can do to help ease our stress levels

The best part about Fireball XL5 is that the robots all have British accents. I've watch most of the episodes and it is pretty obvious many Sci-fi tv shows from the 70s and 80s just copied an episode or two from this show.

#97 Posted by Stimpack (891 posts) -

I hate you, spiders. I hate you.

#98 Posted by audioBusting (1564 posts) -

Who isn't afraid of dying?! I'm pretty sure dying sucks way more than anything on the list! Spiders and heights can kill you, but public speaking?

#99 Posted by benpicko (2010 posts) -

@godlyawesomeguy said:

@ripelivejam said:

naw they're harmless

DOUSE THESE MOTHERFUCKERS WITH FIRE AND NAPALM AND ACID AND SALT THE EARTH FOR GOOD MEASURE THO

this thread... jesus christ

#100 Posted by Milkman (16851 posts) -

I know this is kind of a childish thing but I've never been too fond of the dark.