Which phone should I get?

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mattimus_prime

i got an email from t-mobile today about their Black Friday sales. they have some pretty good deals i guess, but two deals stood out to me in particular. they have two phones that are free after trade in and bill credit, the iPhone 7 and the galaxy s7. i have been interested in these phones, but the phones available aren't the versions i have been interested in. Ideally i would want the iPhone 7 plus, or the galaxy s7 edge. Now i wouldnt normally upgrade right now because i currently own an iphone 6 and it works perfectly fine, but the phones will be free so why not?

so here is the dilemma, if it were just down to the phones i would pick the iPhone simply because i am already established in that Eco system. i use Icloud on the reg, and have several app purchases. the only reason i would want the galaxy is because it also comes with a free gear VR headset. lucky for me i have used android in the past (in fact my current iphone is also my first) so it wouldn't really be that hard to get back up and running.

i guess my question is: is the Gear VR worth changing phones over?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

What is "trade in and bill credit"? Doesn't sound exactly free. I'd go with the S7.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I have an s6 edge. I love the phone but the curved edge doesn't bring anything to the table, unless it is completely overhauled for the S7.

It has some nifty text notifications and pictures look decent, but seriously, don't forego the phone just for the Edge.

As for Gear vr: if you are a gaming gamer, someone who enjoys mechanics and systems over presentation, VR as a whole is not worth it right now. If you like wow-factor and new technology, VR is super worth it right now.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I have the Pixel phone and I bought the daydream setup for it; and it works surprisingly well.

My only issue with it is that the phone gets extremely hot after about 30 mins of use, it isn't really causing any problems, but I worry that it will severely reduce the life expectancy of the phone with prolonged use. I would imagine the Samsung would have the same issue.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WynnDuffy

OP: iOS is stale and I don't like them anymore. iPhone Plus models are bigger than other phones that have bigger screens. Apple are not so good at designing these days it seems. The S7 Edge has the same sized screen as the iPhone Plus yet is a much smaller device.

Of course these are just my opinions. I think Apple lost their mojo and have been playing catch up to Android, I remember when it was the other way around. Now Android has more features than iOS and looks much nicer (to me).

@the_nubster said:

if you are a gaming gamer, someone who enjoys mechanics and systems over presentation, VR as a whole is not worth it right now.

Very happy Vive owner with 200 hours in Onward alone. VR as a whole is worth it right now, and the future looks bright.

GearVR is a cool gimmick, I barely use mine (especially after getting the Vive).

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Is the S7 the phone that explodes?

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bill_mcneal

I don't want to be "that guy", but do you care about a headphone jack? Also, are the apps you purchased necessary or were they expensive? Do you own any other Apple products you could use them on? You can always go back next upgrade cycle or if T-Mobile has a leniency window. Maybe see if there's a GearVR you could try beforehand, if a friend has one or if the store had a demo. Don't forget that Samsung still has the option for expandable memory...if that matters.

Sorry to be vague but the two are very similar now and it sounds like the only reason you're interested in going back is because of GearVR*. If you're not happy with the way the iPhone has been performing (or just preferred Android) switch back, otherwise you could probably just keep it.

*which is why I'm upgrading Friday. Target is offering a $250 GC + a pair of GearVR goggles. Going to get the 7 Edge because of the size.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the Pixel phone and I bought the daydream setup for it; and it works surprisingly well.

My only issue with it is that the phone gets extremely hot after about 30 mins of use, it isn't really causing any problems, but I worry that it will severely reduce the life expectancy of the phone with prolonged use. I would imagine the Samsung would have the same issue.

OOOOOOOOOOO How do you like your Pixel? I am itching to get one and I'm curious about user experiences.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: That was the Note 7, which is no longer available. Yes, the naming conventions for phones sucks ass. Also, if they had kept it "Note 6" instead, it might not have.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@ghost_cat:

I was annoyed to find out it had a usb c charger, but now I wish all my devices used that port, it's a pretty big improvement over micro usb from a user friendliness perspective.

I use the fingerprint unlock almost exclusively now, which I didn't think I would use.

It's the fastest phone I've ever used.

I haven't played with the camera at all yet.

Speakers not as good as my last phone, but they aren't bad.

It's the only phone I've ever used that would get super hot, mostly in vr, but it can heat up playing games also.

"Ok google" is an extremely awkward/annoying phrase to speak out loud in my opinion, I tried it for awhile and I'm done with that, seems to work well otherwise.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to suggest the Moto G4, which is what I got and have been very happy with, but I see your options are way out of my league, so uhh, I'll just leave now.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@bill_mcneal: Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to need to buy a new phone within the next 6 months. I've been on the same windows phone for about 4 years now!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would check the deal inside out to make sure you aren't being locked into something that is hard to get out of or that charges more down the line.

I am probably being old fashioned but I am always sceptical about 'free' phones.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I hate Samsung phones because of Touchwiz. If I went android again, it would be the Pixel. My wife has the iPhone 7 and I have the plus. We like them.

Phones are kind of boring now though, I had wouldn't over think it.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@horseman6: you know it's possible to switch to other launchers like Google now on any android phone? I have a Samsung s6 with Google now and it works well. Unless there's something idk, you never have to use the default launcher on samsung phones.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: @horseman6: Yeah I changed out of Touchwiz on the second day of owning my S5 neo. I've been on Nova Launcher for a good while now.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those sidekicks were the shit back in the day.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm looking at the Pixel XL, but I will wait a few months to see what the Samsung Galaxy S8 is like. The prices of these phones is getting ridiculous. I suppose for a device I use every day for two year straight paying $800 is what you gotta do...but damn. What I like about the Pixel XL is the large battery, but I wish you could add storage.

Actually, I'll look at all the brands of Android phones. There are many really good phones on the market today, so it is possible to choose one over another for the small things. They are all within striking distance of each other in processing power, battery, and camera; and so you can actually just choose one based on weird factors like speakers or where a button is placed.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you used GearVR before? I used it a few months ago, and it was definitely not something that I would base a phone purchase around. If you haven't used it, I recommend trying it before committing it.

zuruinp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zuruinp

I have an S6 switched from iPhone 5. If i were you, i will stick to iPhone. Touchwiz is a mess. The good part for Samsung is that it comes with a nice app to help you transfer content from other phone to Samsung. It is the best one I have used: http://www.androidphonesoft.com/resources/transfer-contacts-from-iphone-to-samsung-galaxy-s5.html

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@zuruinp said:

I have an S6 switched from iPhone 5. If i were you, i will stick to iPhone. Touchwiz is a mess

Yeah their Android skin looks like garbage to me. I'd never choose a Samsung phone over an iPhone.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:
@zuruinp said:

I have an S6 switched from iPhone 5. If i were you, i will stick to iPhone. Touchwiz is a mess

Yeah their Android skin looks like garbage to me. I'd never choose a Samsung phone over an iPhone.

As I mentioned earlier, yes TouchWiz is bad but it's extremely easy and quick to replace with whatever you want.