• 55 results
#1 Posted by NTM (7540 posts) -

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

All of star trek? Cause I hate Deep space nine. 

#3 Edited by NTM (7540 posts) -

I used to like Star Wars, and there is still some stuff about Star Wars that I still like, but Star Trek to me is a lot better. The only reason I made this poll is because of some news here. By the way, I was going to put other as a choice, since I'm sure there are going to be some people thinking "Mass Effect", or something, but it's really unneeded.

#4 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

I prefer Star Wars, I really only liked the older Star Trek show/movies.

#5 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -

Star Trek has the better stories, but Star Wars has the better action.

Phasers vs Light Sabers...is not a fight.

#6 Posted by BAUagent (28 posts) -

I like Star Wars better I got better opportunities to watch it than Star Trek

#7 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Star Wars, although I'm not a big fan of "futuristic" sci-fi movies.

#8 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

Were is the Stargate option?

#9 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

The best thing that came from Star Wars was Jedi Academy and KOTOR.

Star Trek all the way.

#10 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@rb_man said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

It just says Star Trek, you gotta lump it all together. I hated Episodes I & II, but I considered it before making this decision.

#11 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Gotta go with the Trek.

#12 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

Can I pick Starfox? Or maybe Starcraft, but that's basically just Warcraft in space.

#13 Posted by Adus (68 posts) -

They're honestly not that similar, so why do they keep getting compared? They both start with Star and take place in space but the similarities kind of end there.

#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@rb_man

I would go with this, but only one show was any good. On second thought I would still go with this.
#15 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@Dagbiker: You just can't say no to Richard Dean Anderson

#16 Posted by Branthog (5596 posts) -

I saw the original three Star Wars movies in the late 90s, when I was about 19 or 20. They were fine. They were fun. I don't see why people get so fucking worked up over them. I really enjoy watching a lot of Star Trek, but it's just as over-hyped and over-loved. It's good to watch and pass the time now and then with a couple episodes, but that's about it.

There are far more interesting and compelling things out there than both of those combined.

#17 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

I'm not a huge fan of either one, but Star Trek doesn't have anything that I actively fucking hate.

#18 Posted by hermberger (117 posts) -

Tough choice, but my nostalgia for Star Wars trumps my newfound enjoyment of Trek.

Also, I think Star Wars hits higher highs than Star Trek, while they both have tanked it a few times (prequel trilogy, Enterprise)

#19 Posted by faizjuma (11 posts) -

@McGhee: Definitely gotta second ya on that one. Jedi Academy for being the best game to actually allow you fight, with remarkably good controls, as a Jedi (action wise). And KOTOR for creating a star wars story that is far better then any of the star wars movies.

Hell in summary I choose the Revan option lol.

#20 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

The answer is Star Trek but more people will say Star Wars because they prefer the easy way out.

#21 Posted by billyhoush (1193 posts) -

Star Trek: The Next Generation. Any episode with Q in it is the best episode.

#22 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Depends if this is just the movie Star Wars, or the EU*. If it's just the movies.. I'm 50/50. If it's the EU, Star Wars wins by a landslide.

*I refuse to count The Clone Wars(the newer cartoon) as part of the EU. It will not happen. EVER.

#23 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

D.

I'm saying this because I go to each franchise for different reasons.

#24 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

Star Trek has the better stories, but Star Wars has the better action. Phasers vs Light Sabers...is not a fight.

Yeah, totally.

#25 Posted by SeanFoster (889 posts) -

Star Trek's drama appeals to me more than Star Wars' action.

#26 Posted by Games5522 (6 posts) -

Apples and oranges. Star Wars and Star Trek set out to do different things. Star Trek uses it's science fiction setting to explore philosophy, while Star Wars is drama in space. A better comparison would be between Stargate and Star Trek.

#27 Posted by ParchedThroatCottonMouth (14 posts) -

@billyhoush: Agreed.

Also, this: TNG > DS9 > Enterprise? =/> Voyager =/> Original Series?

#28 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I only really like TNG for Star Trek. But star wars has been sullying their image for too long, so between the two, I just don't care anymore.

#29 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm sorry, but I goddamn despise Star Trek besides the new movie. I love Star Wars.

#30 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

I normally would rather WATCH anything Star Trek over anything Star Wars, but would rather PLAY anything Star Wars over anything Star Trek.

So...it's a crapshoot for me.

#31 Posted by Cheetozs (11 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

What was wrong with ds9? Sisko was one of the best captains of all time. He was part god!

#32 Posted by clumsyninja1 (816 posts) -

Star trek is about science and for adults while star wars is about the force and for kids...

#33 Posted by Three0neFive (2304 posts) -

Everyone knows Stargate is the superior star-based series.

#34 Posted by me3639 (1849 posts) -

Simple, you cant remake Star Wars.

#35 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I love both of them. But damn, Star Trek V was worse than the collective failures of anything Star Wars. So this is a tough choice.

#36 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

I'm gonna say that most people here like Star Trek more.

And I kinda like Voyager, except for how they made the Borg so weak.

and then how they introduced 8472 just to have them be push overs by the end too.

#37 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

Star Wars for me. Star Trek always looked incredibly silly to me.

#38 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

star wars is so much better.

#39 Edited by huser (1104 posts) -

@Adus said:

They're honestly not that similar, so why do they keep getting compared? They both start with Star and take place in space but the similarities kind of end there.

Nerd pissing contests have been fought over less than that. Classic base need to be "right" without any particular need or even capability to determine "correct".

For me personally, I'd lean towards Trek as it gives us that awesome view of the better optimistic future coupled with the somewhat bitter medicine that we could all stand to do better. It's that kind of thinking that gets us off this planet. Wars gives us perhaps a far more compelling universe to tell stories in, the "lived-in" trope that gives us better escapist fare with grandiose motions and fascinating characters, but ultimately perhaps empty calories.

Beginning tangential rant in 3...2...1...

It's why I can't disagree MORE with the Bombcast vis a vis Superman sucking or DC being boring. I don't WANT human heroes going through their mundanity. I WANT gods being good for the sake of being good. Yeah it ISN'T relatable, but (and whether you believe or not) neither is say Jesus or perhaps more secularly, the Dalai Lama (yeah I recognize the irony there). But just taken on face value, that's a more comforting world to live than one where the fates crap on a good man like Peter Parker again. That dichotomy is encapsulated perfectly in their Alex Ross works, Marvels vs Kingdom Come. Celebrities/sports stars/etc vs mythology. Obviously one is more interesting to the everyday man on the street, but one has a more lasting relevance and ultimately pervasive influence (how many sporting events have herculean or other mythological reference)?

#40 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

This thread reminded me instantly of this crappy movie.

#41 Posted by huser (1104 posts) -

@xobballox said:

I'm sorry, but I goddamn despise Star Trek besides the new movie. I love Star Wars.

Makes sense, the new Trek movie was made by a director that wanted to make a Wars movie but for obvious reasons couldn't get the rights.

#42 Edited by TomA (2531 posts) -

There tied right now. I like Star Wars more, i grew up with it. I like movies more than TV.

EDIT: Plus, Star Wars is just cooler in general. K now i'm getting mad. Star Trek is good but come on. Star Wars(original obvs) is way way way way way way cooler. Phasers are gay little flashlights, lightsabers can cut through anything. And I don't see Kirk using the force to bring down kling-on ships. Luke could take on the whole Enterprise himself rofl.

#43 Edited by Fjordson (2432 posts) -

As a sci-fi fan, it's easily Star Trek for me. A few good films, and some legendary TV. So much goodness within the universe.

Star Wars is mediocre fantasy 99 percent of the time. The other 1 percent being Empire Strikes Back. Certainly a classic film that towers above the others (including Return of the Jedi and A New Hope).

It's a shame George Lucas couldn't take a step back more often (or just for good). Don't think it's a coincidence that the one time he did the Star Wars license had something truly special.

#44 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3239 posts) -

Star Wars, for sure.

#45 Posted by TorMasturba (1089 posts) -

After viewing this thread and a few of the posted responses I've a theory that I'll instantly love any/most show/movie with Star in the title.

BattleSTAR Galactica (both), STAR wars (episodes 4, 5 and 6 only), STAR trek (all), all STARgate SG-1, STARgate, STARman, STARship Troopers etc, etc...

#46 Posted by Eladren (125 posts) -

I enjoy Star Wars more (a lot more in fact), I even like the prequels, but I completely agree if someone says that Star Trek is the more mature and "sofisticated" of the two.

#47 Posted by PenguinDust (12625 posts) -

These days I like them both the same because while the original trilogy of Star Wars is fantastic, all the follow-up drek brings the franchise as a whole down. Trek, on the other hand, was always hit-or-miss so it balances out in the end.

#48 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

I just started watching Star Trek on Netflix and I have to ask. Are those special effects the same since the 60's? The shots that take place outside of the ship in space look amazing for it's time. I figure it must be because they shot a miniature or something, but it looks really really good to my eyes.

Having said that, I love them both equally if not preferring Star Wars first.

#49 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Star Trek, I find Star Wars to be boring.....though I'm not a fan of either.

#50 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Based solely on the original movie of each series, I perfer Star Wars.