I used to like Star Wars, and there is still some stuff about Star Wars that I still like, but Star Trek to me is a lot better. The only reason I made this poll is because of some news here. By the way, I was going to put other as a choice, since I'm sure there are going to be some people thinking "Mass Effect", or something, but it's really unneeded.
I saw the original three Star Wars movies in the late 90s, when I was about 19 or 20. They were fine. They were fun. I don't see why people get so fucking worked up over them. I really enjoy watching a lot of Star Trek, but it's just as over-hyped and over-loved. It's good to watch and pass the time now and then with a couple episodes, but that's about it.
There are far more interesting and compelling things out there than both of those combined.
@McGhee: Definitely gotta second ya on that one. Jedi Academy for being the best game to actually allow you fight, with remarkably good controls, as a Jedi (action wise). And KOTOR for creating a star wars story that is far better then any of the star wars movies.
Hell in summary I choose the Revan option lol.
They're honestly not that similar, so why do they keep getting compared? They both start with Star and take place in space but the similarities kind of end there.
Nerd pissing contests have been fought over less than that. Classic base need to be "right" without any particular need or even capability to determine "correct".
For me personally, I'd lean towards Trek as it gives us that awesome view of the better optimistic future coupled with the somewhat bitter medicine that we could all stand to do better. It's that kind of thinking that gets us off this planet. Wars gives us perhaps a far more compelling universe to tell stories in, the "lived-in" trope that gives us better escapist fare with grandiose motions and fascinating characters, but ultimately perhaps empty calories.
Beginning tangential rant in 3...2...1...
It's why I can't disagree MORE with the Bombcast vis a vis Superman sucking or DC being boring. I don't WANT human heroes going through their mundanity. I WANT gods being good for the sake of being good. Yeah it ISN'T relatable, but (and whether you believe or not) neither is say Jesus or perhaps more secularly, the Dalai Lama (yeah I recognize the irony there). But just taken on face value, that's a more comforting world to live than one where the fates crap on a good man like Peter Parker again. That dichotomy is encapsulated perfectly in their Alex Ross works, Marvels vs Kingdom Come. Celebrities/sports stars/etc vs mythology. Obviously one is more interesting to the everyday man on the street, but one has a more lasting relevance and ultimately pervasive influence (how many sporting events have herculean or other mythological reference)?
There tied right now. I like Star Wars more, i grew up with it. I like movies more than TV.
EDIT: Plus, Star Wars is just cooler in general. K now i'm getting mad. Star Trek is good but come on. Star Wars(original obvs) is way way way way way way cooler. Phasers are gay little flashlights, lightsabers can cut through anything. And I don't see Kirk using the force to bring down kling-on ships. Luke could take on the whole Enterprise himself rofl.
As a sci-fi fan, it's easily Star Trek for me. A few good films, and some legendary TV. So much goodness within the universe.
Star Wars is mediocre fantasy 99 percent of the time. The other 1 percent being Empire Strikes Back. Certainly a classic film that towers above the others (including Return of the Jedi and A New Hope).
It's a shame George Lucas couldn't take a step back more often (or just for good). Don't think it's a coincidence that the one time he did the Star Wars license had something truly special.
After viewing this thread and a few of the posted responses I've a theory that I'll instantly love any/most show/movie with Star in the title.
BattleSTAR Galactica (both), STAR wars (episodes 4, 5 and 6 only), STAR trek (all), all STARgate SG-1, STARgate, STARman, STARship Troopers etc, etc...
I just started watching Star Trek on Netflix and I have to ask. Are those special effects the same since the 60's? The shots that take place outside of the ship in space look amazing for it's time. I figure it must be because they shot a miniature or something, but it looks really really good to my eyes.
Having said that, I love them both equally if not preferring Star Wars first.
Please Log In to post.