Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Chocobodude3

Name some of their works for more info

Best: Grant Morrison (Arkham Asylum a Serious House on Serious Earth), Alan Moore(Watchmen) and Neil Gaiman (Sandman)

Worst: Frank Miller(Holy Terror and the horrible Spirit movie he directed)

Name your opinions

Fatcat222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Chocobodude3:

I agree with your selections, but maybe put Frank Miller as both one of the best and worst? His 80s work is just too influential to ignore, and his more recent stuff is too horrendous to ignore.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chocobodude3:

I agree with your selections, but maybe put Frank Miller as both one of the best and worst? His 80s work is just too influential to ignore, and his more recent stuff is too horrendous to ignore.

Yeah but Holy Terror is just so horrible it knocked him down to be on the worst. Plus he did that horrible live action The Spirit adaptation

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chocobodude3: I've read a few Neil Gaiman novels and I thought they were pretty great. Are his graphic novels similar in weirdness ?

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's Alan Moore and then there's everyone else.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By Kidavenger

The only one I actively read now is Robert Kirkman, I like both Invincible and The Walking Dead.

I haven't read anything recent by Frank Miller, but pretty much everything he did up to Sin City was fantastic.

Other favourites: David Lapham, Terry Moore, Brian K Vaughan, Garth Ennis, Kurt Busiek

The first hardcover Stray Bullets is easily my favourite graphic novel.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brian K. Vaughan. I try to avoid bad ones so I don't have a good name to throw out for it.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By amafi

I'm not very well read in comics, so probably fairly obvious favorites:

• Garth Ennis (Preacher, Hellblazer)
  • Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta). Need to read some Swamp Thing.
  • Neil Gaiman (Sandman)
  • Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan)

As for least favorite I can't really think of anything, I've been lucky to have been recommended mostly great stuff over the years.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#10  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Favorites are probably Max Andersson and Lars Sjunnesson. Especially the book Bosnian Flat Dog which they did together.

No Caption Provided

Can't really think of any least favorite ones.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

wait are we talking about public opinion or our own favorites

your topic title question and your actual post confuses me

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Twazuk

I don't really keep up with particular authors much, but Mark Millar is a try-hard, edgy hack.

Edit: Actually looking to my left I've noticed several volumes of Invincible by Robert Kirkman, who also did The Walking Dead so I guess he's a pretty cool guy.

Read Invincible.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Warren Ellis is sometimes a bit out-there, but he's consistently great at doing mini-series that are readable and entertaining. A lot of them aren't related to any existing universes, either. Jack Cross is great, and the miniseries that Red the movie was based on is hilariously better than the film itself. I agree with most of the other names listed above.

The original Top Ten miniseries by Alan Moore was pretty great. There are a bunch more that I could remember if I was at home and not at work, alas.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Sessh

The only good ones that I can think of right now and that are still missing in this thread are Jason Aaron and Rick Remender, for their runs on Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny X-Force alone. They also both did some good work on the Punisher and Aaron's Thor was the first time that character got interesting to me.

Oh, and Scott Snyder for his Batman and Swamp Thing runs. I also liked Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, but I don't much care for anything else he did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Craig Thompson's Blankets is one of my favorite books I've ever read.

I also like Art Spiegelman's Maus, Kazu Kibuishi's Copper, and of course, Watchmen.

No Caption Provided

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Technician

I'm a huge Ed Brubaker fan. Criminal, Sleeper, Fatale all kick ass imo.

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@fisk0: You know, the last time I read a thread on comics you mentioned Andersson's work and I then purchased Pixy, which I now must fully evangelize. Pixy is one of the greatest comics I have read.

Luckily enough comics (or comix, graphic novels, sequential art, gags) has hosted a great variety of styles and themes. There are great children's comics, autobiographical comics, heretical comics, superhero comics, comedic comics (bit of recursion there), and dramatic fictional comics. Comics can be crazy to wrap your head around once you realize how large it is, but it is a lot of fun finding out what locations are hitherto missing from our atlas.

Following are some some of my favorite people in comics and their great books:

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18 fisk0  Moderator

@fisk0: You know, the last time I read a thread on comics you mentioned Andersson's work and I then purchased Pixy, which I now must fully evangelize. Pixy is one of the greatest comics I have read.

Happy to hear you liked it :) I'd probably say that if I'd do a top 5 list, three of the top positions would be Max Andersson comics, and then probably Preacher and Sandman on 4 and 5.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than whats already been said, Bryan Lee O'Malley is great. Kieron Gillen is killing it with Wicked + Divine. Saga by Brian K. Vaughn is the best current comic.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zefpunk

Gotta echo the Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Neil Gaiman, Robert Kirkman and Grant Morrison love.

I am surprised though that nobody has mentioned my man Jeph Loeb and the guy who got me back into comics, the double threat: Mike Mignola.BPRD, Abe Sapien, Lobster Johnson, Baltimore, and of course one of my all-time favorites Hellboy. I love just about everything he has done.

As for worst...gotta go with the Miller/Millar combo of Frank and Mark respectively. No thank you. No thank you very much.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I've only read Watchmen because I'm not a big comic guy, so Alan Moore is the best for me.