• 65 results
Posted by Vigorousjammer (2480 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Who else gets weirded-out when one of the guys says "Hell of" instead of "Hella"? (252 votes)

YES, ABSOLUTELY. I HATE IT. 4%
I definitely notice it and definitely get weirded-out, but it's not a huge deal. 8%
It doesn't really bother me. Seems like a cool way of saying it. 10%
What? weirded-out? No way! Fully pronouncing it just makes it better! 37%
What are you EVEN TALKING ABOUT?! 41%

I always find it super off-putting whenever one of the guys says "Hell of" instead of "Hella"
I'm not sure exactly why, It's like they're attempting to use proper English, but yet it stills ends up not being proper. It's this weird middle-ground. It's not like it actually bothers me that much, as I'm sure they do it on purpose just to sound that way, but... it just seems to stick out to me.

#1 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2196 posts) -

Does not bother me at all.

#2 Posted by MEATBALL (3064 posts) -

I'm more bothered by the term in general, I guess.

#3 Edited by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

I hate "hella", so making a mockery of it by pronouncing it out is something I fully support.

#4 Posted by Milkman (16526 posts) -

"Hell of" is way better than "hella."

#5 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

you need to find something better to do with your time dude

#6 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I say both so I don't mind in the least.

#7 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

People who say "hella" need to be rounded up and put in work camps.

#8 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

'Hella' and the people who use it are blights upon the English language and this planet.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

Both of them are pretty fucking stupid, I'm bothered by both.

#10 Edited by UlquioKani (1027 posts) -

I've never noticed.

#11 Edited by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

When I hear someone say "hella", the first thing I think of is "shut the hell up you left-coast NorCal asshole"

I can honestly say I've never heard anyone even utter the words "hell of" without saying it sarcastically.

#12 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

When people say "Hella" I just look at them weird and walk away.

#13 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

Ain't nothing wrong with hella. 'Hell of' is merely the formal version of it.

I hope when someone from Western PA refers to a group as 'yinz' you guys roll up on your anti-colloquial scooters of vengeance. Wearing your knit-caps/toques/toboggans/beanies.

#15 Edited by Krataur (341 posts) -

"Hella" is wicked dumb.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

When I hear someone say "hella", the first thing I think of is "shut the hell up you left-coast NorCal asshole"

I can honestly say I've never heard anyone even utter the words "hell of" without saying it sarcastically.

we said it growing up in western Oregon plenty of times, not just a norcal thing.

#17 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Ain't nothing wrong with hella. 'Hell of' is merely the formal version of it.

I hope when someone from Western PA refers to a group as 'yinz' you guys roll up on your anti-colloquial scooters of vengeance. Wearing your knit-caps/toques/toboggans/beanies.

A toboggan is a sled. Otherwise, hilarious visual.

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon Hey man, I'm Canadian, I know what a toboggan is. According to that dirty Carolinian Shoemaker, they call toques toboggans.

#19 Edited by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@Brodehouse Christ. Im in western PA and the "yinz" thing makes me want to punch kittens every time I hear it.

#20 Posted by zoozilla (977 posts) -

@animasta said:

@stonyman65 said:

we said it growing up in western Oregon plenty of times, not just a norcal thing.

Yup. "Whoa, that's hella dank, maaaaan."

#21 Edited by Winternet (8005 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the guys only say "hella" when they are going for it, not in their everyday normal talk. Which doesn't mean they should stop saying hella. In fact, they should say it a bit more.

#22 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Hella is for retarded douche bags. No offense, but you sound like idiots when you say stuff like that.

#23 Edited by Superkenon (1388 posts) -

Hella is for retarded douche bags. No offense, but you sound like idiots when you say stuff like that.

"no offense"

#24 Edited by AngriGhandi (754 posts) -

"Hella" has literally been around since the 1970s. Anyone getting worked up about a forty year-old, mostly-logical contraction ("hell of a" or "hell of a lot of") in 2013, when we have YOLO growing from the dark corners of the internet like a rapidly-forming ass cancer, needs to have their head examined.

#25 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

What kind of idiot says "hella" in a serious way?

#26 Edited by bennyboy (328 posts) -

I'm pretty sure they say it to be tongue in cheek and/or to troll people, in which case I guess it totally worked on you.

#27 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

People who say "hella" need to be rounded up and put in work camps.

It'd be easier if you just turned Hayward into a work camp. That way you get 99% of the people in there that use the term. It's funny because I was just there 3 days ago and it was hella nice.

#28 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@mideonnviscera said:

"no offense"

Yeah, I love that.

#29 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1733 posts) -

I thought 'hella' was a Sacramento thing.

The world is not Sacramento. Thankfully.

@animasta said:

As another ambassador for Oregon, I can say this is not true. I definitely remember the first time I heard someone say the word "hella," and it pretty much made a room of Oregonians stop and stare.

#30 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

@animasta said:

As another ambassador for Oregon, I can say this is not true. I definitely remember the first time I heard someone say the word "hella," and it pretty much made a room of Oregonians stop and stare.

Oregonians are a bunch of jockers.

#31 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@mideonnviscera said:

"no offense"

Motherfucker is hella insincere.

#32 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@funkasaurasrex said:
@superkenon said:

@mideonnviscera said:

"no offense"

Motherfucker is hella insincere.

Naw, I'm pretty secure in my ability to speak in a room full of my peers without them writing me off the second I open my mouth.

EDIT: haha I read "insecure".

#33 Edited by deadmoscow (261 posts) -

I say "hella" all the time because it's cool and fun. I guess it now has the added benefit of making uptight weirdos totally mad.

"Hell of" is what you say when the word coming after it starts with a vowel. Like, "hella good" vs. "hell of awesome." At least that's the way I use it.

#34 Edited by Creamypies (4051 posts) -

They both kinda weird me out. I come from a country where neither saying is used.

#35 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

I can't stand the phrase "hella," but I've (subconsciously, perhaps) worked "hell of" into my regular vocabulary.

#36 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7050 posts) -

@shagge said:

I hate "hella", so making a mockery of it by pronouncing it out is something I fully support.

#37 Edited by utamaru (96 posts) -

I mean if you say "hell of" then why are you even saying it? This is the real mystery. We all know it sounds fucking stupid but that's part of the charm.

Hell of odorous cannabis sativa you have in your possession my friend of darker skin than I.

e: If you are going to say that you read through the giant bomb forums and it was a hell of weird threads then its okay. These are different words they are just made up of the same letters.

#38 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

People cry when someone says hella? Wow :/

#39 Edited by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

They are both stupid. Lose/lose situation.

#40 Edited by deadmoscow (261 posts) -

People cry when someone says hella? Wow :/

All the more reason to keep saying hella!

#41 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

It's the only way you can use that phrase without being a terrible person.

#42 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

My wife pointed out Hella and Hell of tends to have different uses.

Something is "hella cool" or "hella good" and usually not "the cake was hell of a good", the cake was infact "hella good".

#43 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

'hella' is bad and you should feel bad.

#44 Posted by myketuna (1652 posts) -

This thread is hella bullshit.

#45 Posted by Darson (448 posts) -

That's hell of weird, duder.

#46 Posted by ESREVER (2669 posts) -

Thats hella lame man.

#47 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

@animasta said:

I spent summers in NorCal, specifically in Lodi and Stockton, and the rest of the years in Oklahoma City growing up. I heard "hella" in California about seven or eight years before I heard it in Oklahoma. I've always thought of it as a California thing.

I also happen to enjoy how dumb "hell of" sounds.

#48 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

@geirr said:

My wife pointed out Hella and Hell of tends to have different uses.

Something is "hella cool" or "hella good" and usually not "the cake was hell of a good", the cake was infact "hella good".

You wouldn't say "hell of a good", certainly. "Hell of good", maybe, but probably not. I do think that I hear "Hell of" more frequently when the guys are discussing the amount of something rather than the degree of something, e.g. "There are hell of explosions in that movie," v.s. "That movie is hella sick."

#49 Posted by DemiGodRaven (267 posts) -

I say hella now because I know it makes people's skin crawl and I find that hilarious.

#50 Posted by President_Barackbar (3433 posts) -

Being from Southern California, I find both particularly repugnant. LEARN TO SPEAK YOU HIPPIES!