• 101 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5821 posts) -

I'm not too into the new stuff, but a lot of people say you just have to look hard enough. I tried looking, and only found a few things here and there that were kinda catchy. I guess a lot of my enjoyment of music depends on the capabilities and tone of the singer's voice, as well as the energy/style they sing in. As an MJ fan, I can appreciate some of what the Weeknd does with his similar-ish voice, at least in terms of range. 

I also love the tone of voice of Carly Rose from the X factor competition. I know...X factor, but she has a great voice.  

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#3 Posted by Aegon (5821 posts) -
#4 Posted by jkz (4058 posts) -

The Weeknd most definitely is one of my favourites, but that's probably simply because I love his take on the upper registers (just like I loved Michael's). I'm partial to Daughn Gibson, Andrew Bird, and Aloe Blacc when it comes to more popular acts. It's kind of hard to say though: there's so many absolutely fantastic voices out there

#5 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

The Spine, from Steam Powered Giraffe. No living thing should have a vocal range that varied.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Hatsune Miku.

Shut it.

I see we have a Kaito fan.

#7 Posted by Morningstar (2238 posts) -

Tom Waits. Obviously.

#8 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Dani Filth of Cradle of Filth.

For posterity:

oh, also Matt Bellamy.

@_Zombie_: Damn, that song is great and that dude is great. Thanks! Never heard of them before.

#9 Posted by AssInAss (2741 posts) -

Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance)

You've heard her voice everywhere in movies and games, but just don't know her name. Deus Ex Human Revolution, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Samsara, you know the one.

And this is off Dead Can Dance's latest album this year, get on it!

#10 Edited by Aegon (5821 posts) -
@_Zombie_:  Yeah he seems to have a pretty cool voice.  

@AssInAss: Ah, she sung the Gladiator music!
#11 Posted by 71Ranchero (2827 posts) -

Tommy Karevik

#12 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

Jonathan Keevil

Or the lead singer of the Black Keys.

#13 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1828 posts) -

Lajon Witherspoon and Myles Kennedy are two of the greatest rock vocalists of all time. You don't get too many vocalists who sound like they pour every ounce of passion they have in any given performance in modern music anymore, but these guys are up there with the best of em.

Darroh Sudderth from Fair to Midland also has an incredible range with a very unique sound to boot. He can hit some ridiculously high notes and still sound great. There's a few songs where he belts out absolutely vicious screams and growls that provide a very interesting contrast to his usual styles. He also utilizes throat singing occasionally, which isn't easy to do.

And of course, Chino Moreno, because his voice and singing style is beautiful and soothing, and sometimes brutal and terrifying in a way that I would liken to a pleasant form of torture. There are technically 'better' singers out there in terms of ability and range, but Chino's no slouch and he has improved exponentially over his career.

#14 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

Tom Waits. Obviously.

#15 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

Sho and Saya of Lacroix Despheres.

#16 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -
#17 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

Tom Waits. Obviously.

Yup. Also, Fiona Apple and Frank Ocean.

#18 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -
#19 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -
#20 Posted by mosespippy (4433 posts) -

Matt Berninger of The National and Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine.

#21 Posted by The_Tolman (435 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Matt Berninger of The National and Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine.

Im partial to Matt Berninger of The National as well.

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4486 posts) -

Gaga

#23 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Jonny Craig has a pretty good voice

However he himself is a piece of shit

#24 Posted by AssInAss (2741 posts) -

@OneKillWonder_ said:

And of course, Chino Moreno, because his voice and singing style is beautiful and soothing, and sometimes brutal and terrifying in a way that I would liken to a pleasant form of torture. There are technically 'better' singers out there in terms of ability and range, but Chino's no slouch and he has improved exponentially over his career.

YES! Latest Deftones album is some of their best work. Listen to it all NOW

#25 Posted by mellotronrules (1244 posts) -

@Aegon said:

I'm not too into the new stuff, but a lot of people say you just have to look hard enough. I tried looking, and only found a few things here and there that were kinda catchy. I guess a lot of my enjoyment of music depends on the capabilities and tone of the singer's voice, as well as the energy/style they sing in. As an MJ fan, I can appreciate some of what the Weeknd does with his similar-ish voice, at least in terms of range.

i like the weeknd, but the kid's live show is brutal (at least when i saw him at coachella). he was pitchy as fuck! maybe an off night for him. but his mixtapes/albums are awesome.

i tend to like breathy, airy voices over ones that emphasize virtuosity. like elliott smith

and emily haines

#26 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1828 posts) -
@AssInAss said:

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I already have a couple dozen times. As far as I'm concerned it IS their best work and it is probably my favorite album of the year. It really showcases how Chino has evolved as a singer more than Diamond Eyes did, too.
#27 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

The strength of the artist voice rarely impacts my enjoyment of the music. I prefer a quirky voice over a strong voice.

So for me Thom Yorke:

(Also big mistake, don't type nude into youtube as this song aint first result...)

#28 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4898 posts) -

@benspyda said:

(Also big mistake, don't type nude into youtube as this song aint first result...)

Haha, I'm guessing you're at work?

#29 Posted by AssInAss (2741 posts) -

@OneKillWonder_ said:

@AssInAss said:

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I already have a couple dozen times. As far as I'm concerned it IS their best work and it is probably my favorite album of the year. It really showcases how Chino has evolved as a singer more than Diamond Eyes did, too.

I thought I was crazy calling it their best album in an Amazon review, but then soon after loads of people were echoing that.

#30 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

The Weeknd has a beautiful voice

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5959 posts) -
#32 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

Tom Waits. Obviously.

#33 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (960 posts) -

Plenty of good voices here, but I still think Maynard James Keenan takes that. But then again, I am a die-hard Tool fan...

This live rendition of the song "H" still gives me chills, even though it doesn't fully show his voice. It's more the brilliant way they change it up near the end, which I guess you'll only know if you already know the song. Anyway:

Oh, and I agree that Chino Moreno has an awesome voice. Really need to listen to the new album it seems. So to make this post slightly more awesome, here is Chino and Maynard together!

#34 Posted by doosmacleod (189 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

Tom Waits. Obviously.

Still the best (since) 1973.

That being said Leslie Feist has a voice that I don't think I could ever find unappealing.

#35 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

I'm going to give a list of people and example songs (they won't be my favourites from them but they are going to be the more acoustic ones which show a bit more vocal controll than what I would actually prefer listen to them sing. Although I'll start with my favourite:

• *Kris Allen - Out Alive
  • *Olly Murs - This Song Is About You
  • The Fray - Dead Wrong
  • Jack McManus - Amy -:don't know what happened to this guy, but heard this song a few years back and this thread reminded me of it
  • The Caulden Road - Transistor
  • Sam Tsui - Safe and Sound -:One of the weirder arrangements, but it does showcase his different tones pretty well

*Are ex-contestants on talent shows - It actually isn't that rare for them to be good singers - most however don't follow that side of it after the competitions (heck even this guy from One Direction sung pretty well in auditions)

#36 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3923 posts) -

@Jaqen_HGhar: Chino and Maynard are so damn good.

Huge Josh Homme fan too. HUGE.

#37 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

Psy-Gangnam Style. Just kidding. Let the hate flow.

#38 Posted by ESREVER (2697 posts) -

@Canteu said:

oh, also Matt Bellamy.

My vote. I love his voice and am super jealous of his range.

#39 Posted by TheHT (11768 posts) -

Florence Welch.

#40 Edited by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

Jennifer Charles of Elysian Fields/Lovage fame. Best voice I've ever heard in anything resembling pop music.

#41 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Oh, who's that dude from Cage the Elephant? I like that guy. I'm not judging 'best' based on skill, I'm judging based on who I enjoy listening to.

#42 Edited by Jimbo (9979 posts) -

Something about Brandi Carlile's voice makes me want to break down in tears whenever I hear it. I don't, obviously, because I'm too manly... I'm just sayin' it gets to me... jeez.

(song starts at 1:17)

#43 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3242 posts) -

Adele's got a wonderful voice.

#44 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Might not be everybody's cup of tea...

#45 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Really digging Lana Del Reys voice.

#46 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

Nobody mentioning R. Kelly makes me so goddamn sad.

Also, Trapped in the Closet 23-33.

Sure, dude's not exactly new, but he continues to have a completely breathtaking voice.

#47 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@benspyda said:

The strength of the artist voice rarely impacts my enjoyment of the music. I prefer a quirky voice over a strong voice.

So for me Thom Yorke:

I mistake the thread title for artists out now, so this Thom Yorke. That vocal outro to that song is fucking brilliant.

#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3890 posts) -

Jackie Ojeda from Bella Novela. 

#49 Posted by SSully (4315 posts) -

I think John Legend is pretty damn good.

#50 Posted by JOURN3Y (230 posts) -

Nicki Bluhm has a very smokey smooth voice.