• 109 results
Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3749 posts) 11 months, 26 days ago

Poll: Who is currently the biggest rock star? (194 votes)

Kanye West 33%
Someone other than Kanye West (please specify in your post) 66%

I'm sure many of you heard about this, and I thought it might make a fun poll.

If you don't want to watch the videos, Kanye West is mad at Jimmy Kimmel for him poking fun at a recent Kanye interview. One of the things Kanye said was "Rap is new rock and roll, we're the rock stars, and I'm the biggest of all of them."

Which got me thinking, who IS the biggest modern rock star? To make it more interesting how about three questions:

1) Biggest current rock star

2) Personal favorite current rock star

3) Personal favorite living rock star

My vote for the first two would probably have to be Jack White. He's been involved with three bands, and all of them make solid albums. Most of his side projects are pretty good as well.

Favorite living would have to go to Elton John.

I do like a fair amount Kanye Wests music, but I wouldn't even put him in a top ten of the last 20 years of rap, much less at the top of all rap and rock.

#1 Posted by Cheesebob (1239 posts) -

Honestly, Kanye is up there with Eminem as the biggest 'rock star' at the moment, if you agree with his statement that Rap is the now Rock and Roll.

#2 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3749 posts) -

@cheesebob said:

Honestly, Kanye is up there with Eminem as the biggest 'rock star' at the moment, if you agree with his statement that Rap is the now Rock and Roll.

Did you have that avatar before or after you saw this thread?

[edit] And honestly, if we're going to call Kanye West a 'rock star,' then we might as well call Adele, and Lady Gaga, and Taylor Swift 'rock stars,' and they all beat the shit out of Kanye West when it comes to record sales.

#3 Posted by punkxblaze (2986 posts) -

I feel like rock stars don't exist anymore.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (5094 posts) -

Well Kanye isn't rock so it's someone else by my logic.

1) Biggest current Rock Star? Hard fucking question, Coldplay? I really don't know to be honest, I kinda just sit in my hard rock/heavy metal corner and ignore mainstream for the most part.

2) Maynard James Keenan, wish they would get their act together and release their fucking album already.

3) Trent Reznor, still releases quality albums, but I wish for the early years on NIN a lot

I really don't see a difference between 2 and 3...like current as in they are popular right now and living is no one cares about them anymore but they are still sucking in air?

#5 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I don't know about rock star but he certainly is the biggest gay fish.

#6 Edited by Damodar (1393 posts) -

Biggest Rock Star? Dwayne Johnson. Seen his biceps lately?

#7 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Kayne West likes to exaggerate, but that's how he is. As for the best Rockstar I couldn't tell if my life depended on it. Growing up I've mostly listened to Hip-Hop, R&B, Jazz and Soul music. I really can't name afew Rockstars off the top of my head.

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Maybe not biggest rock star.
Diva I would accept I think

#9 Edited by Vuud (2000 posts) -

There are none. And it's really sad that there are generations of kids now growing up with out real rock n' roll music.

#10 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

haha Well he probably is the biggest musical star. Or certainly the biggest with any sort of talent.

#11 Posted by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -

The last "real" rock star was GG Allin...

#12 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

The last "real" rock star was GG Allin...

The fact that I had to look this guy up doesn't exactly bode well for that statement. Then to read that he just did shock stuff and his music sucked, well, wtf? haha

#13 Posted by xyzygy (9999 posts) -

I don't know. Honestly I feel like Miley Cyrus is even bigger than Kanye at the moment.

As far my own personal likes... I'd have to say that the guys from Radiohead are my favorite rock stars of all time. They are innovative, they change their style drastically and often. They make damn good music.

#14 Edited by Cheesebob (1239 posts) -
#15 Posted by mikey87144 (1777 posts) -

Beyonce honestly is bigger than Kanye. Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and most definitely One Direction. In Rap there is no one bigger but if all things are equal I think the ones I listed are bigger.

(I don't feel I have to write this but just in case I feel Kanye's music is waaaay better then the others but that isn't what the question was asking).

#16 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

@vuud said:

There are none. And it's really sad that there are generations of kids now growing up with out real rock n' roll music.

It's not the 60's anymore, we have better music now.

#17 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

#18 Posted by forkboy (1151 posts) -

Rap is the new rock n roll if you accept that rap is integrated with pop music in the way that rock was in the 50s & 60s. Where as if you think rock n roll is y'know, just rock music, then obviously Kanye West isn't a rockstar. He's a pop star. That's cool. But not quite the same as a rock star really.

And really, has there been any "rockstars" in the vein of Keith Richards & Pete Townsend & these types of guys since the 80s? Metallica maybe the last big "rock" band with that sort of blown up nature. Because a rock star should be to some extent larger than life in my view, it's more than just playing rock. So Kanye has that part of it down to pat, that's for sure. Maybe you could say Marilyn Manson was the last big rockstar? He freaked out parents in the same way that The Rolling Stones would have done in the 60s. And even then he's obviously pretty small fry compared to those big bands of the past, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, & what have you.

#19 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

It's kind of funny that in this discussion the only thing I can say for certain is that the actual genre of "rock" seems to have zero rock stars.

#20 Posted by Abendlaender (2808 posts) -

I don't even know what Rock is anymore....

#21 Edited by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

I think in current music the two biggest stars are Kanye West & Lady Gaga, they've managed to straddle both the mainstream and the art world. Not saying that either of them deserve all the praise they get, (though I do enjoy the majority of the output they both put out).

David Bowie trumps them all however. If he wanted to be the biggest thing everyone was talking about it could be achieved on a whim. His last album had next to no marketing, and he hadn't released any material in ages, but everyone was talking about it.

#22 Posted by Rotnac (771 posts) -

Easy answer:

</thread>

#23 Posted by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -

@mideonnviscera: Fair enough. But if we go by the classic trinity of "Sex, Drugs & Rock n' Roll" or Rock n' Roll as an "glorified" way of self destruction I still think I have a point ;)

And the question if his music sucked is as always just a matter of taste, I really like his country album "Carnival of Excess" for example.

#24 Edited by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -

No one is more authentic than Kid Rock?

#25 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

People use the term 'Rockstar' wrong all the time these days(Rockstar Parking, Rockstar Chickenwings, Rockstar colon cleansing)

Speaking from a purely rap standpoint: You can find much better current rap than what Kanye does.

#26 Posted by oldenglishC (958 posts) -

Rock Stars (proper noun) do things like burn down hotels and snort drain cleaner of out a groupie's ass crack. Kanye goes to fashion shows and has Twitter slap fights with Ray J. Summation, he is not a Rock Star. Keith Moon on the other hand, there was a god-damned, honest to goodness Rock Star.

#27 Posted by Franstone (1121 posts) -

Well Kanye isn't rock so it's someone else by my logic.

1) Biggest current Rock Star? Hard fucking question, Coldplay? I really don't know to be honest, I kinda just sit in my hard rock/heavy metal corner and ignore mainstream for the most part.

2) Maynard James Keenan, wish they would get their act together and release their fucking album already.

3) Trent Reznor, still releases quality albums, but I wish for the early years on NIN a lot

I really don't see a difference between 2 and 3...like current as in they are popular right now and living is no one cares about them anymore but they are still sucking in air?

Number 2) is absolutely correct.
Tool always has their act together, be patient.

#28 Edited by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Even if you get way into the "rock means rock" thing, Yeezus is more "rock" than 90% of rock music these days. I'm only being a little selective when I choose these three; there's at least a couple more that are rocked-the-fuck-out.

And peep the guitar solo at the end of this slower song, courtesy of Mike Dean.

He's not a pop star, not like Adele or TSwift anyways. No smiling at awards shows and marketing towards the norms. He's still wilding the fuck out and disrupting the message. If there's a bigger rock star left, I must have missed it. The only thing he's doing wrong is trying to move modern rap to the legacy of classic rock; rockists will never accept it, and rap is its own beautiful and incredible lexicon.

EDIT: Also, fuck racist-ass Jimmy Kimmel. Dude is an unfunny asshole with a history of blackface jokes, fuck him forever.

#29 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

#30 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Ted Nugent. Wait, he's just the biggest nutjob in the business.

#31 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

I don't think rap is the new Rock and Roll, and is Kanye really rap? I'm not really that into the genre, but doesn't his style fall more definitively under Hip-Hop (again, a genre I'm not super into)?

As to the question;

1) I don't really know, but IMO it isn't Kanye.

3) Disturbed.

As to the whole 'real Rockstars are dead' thing, I think your definition is a bit limited, and music today is no better or worse than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

#32 Posted by stryker1121 (1455 posts) -

There's aren't "rock stars" in the traditional sense anymore. It's an antiquated term.. There's no Page, Jagger, Hendrix, Axl, Elvis, Morrison, bigger-than-life stars with myths built around them - a certain mystery. These here modern times when we can find out everything about any celebrity that mystery is gone. Who's the biggest traditional rock star now? I don't know, Bono, maybe?

My personal favorite, if you need it, is Freddie Mercury. Best voice in rock n roll history and mountains of charisma:

#33 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I think Kanye is overrated but yeah, he probably is the biggest act in hip hop right now. I don't think he's the best, but he's certainly one of the most popular and polarizing and anticipated artists.

#34 Posted by Nick (667 posts) -

I don't really care for Jimmy Kimmel but Kanye West is moronic, watching that BBC interview it's like he's a child who thinks he's a god. His music is not bad, but I'm not the biggest fan.

1. Dave Grohl

2. (fuck i don't know... i can't really think of a favourite current rockstar)

3. Paul McCartney

#35 Posted by Rafaelfc (1349 posts) -

Music is bullshit, as a people we should be done with it and move on.

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (14851 posts) -

All hail to Yeezus. I like that the dude is self absorbed and an asshole if he wasn't I dont think he would be able to make the kind if music he does. So yeah, generally I think assholes are the ones making the best shit out there. Its funny that just because your good people expect you not to take credit and own your shit. He worked just as hard to get where he is as anyone else. He can brag all he wants because he is that damn good. If he wasn't he would have faded into obscurity already.

#37 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4213 posts) -

Paul McCartney

#38 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

Kanye is way to sensitive to be a "rock star". Dude seriously can't take a joke. It's like he only recently discovered that parodies and comedians exist and still doesn't understand why they would make fun of celebrities. Sure he makes great music (in a subjective sort of way) but if he can't keep his cool when seeing a headline about him in a newspaper then maybe he should stop making crazy statements and acting out.

Today's rockstars are movie celebs anyway. They don't make music but they do just about everything else rockstars were doing back in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

#39 Edited by Milkman (16811 posts) -

Kanye is the biggest rock star in the world and if you watch the interview, he explains what he means by that. I would recommend watching the full thing. It's really long but it's incredibly interesting and you really can see his passion. (To tie into the interests of most people on this site, he shouts out the TurboGrafx-16, 3DO, Amiga and uses Wreck-It Ralph as a metaphor for his life) As for Jimmy Kimmel, he's an unfunny idiot.

#40 Edited by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

@rotnac said:

Easy answer:

</thread>

Moongoose Mcqueen > Kanye West

#41 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1751 posts) -

Ha, Kanye West is not a rock star, but he is a piece of shit and probably the most self-absorbed douchebag in pop culture today.

#42 Edited by SSully (4195 posts) -

All hail to Yeezus. I like that the dude is self absorbed and an asshole if he wasn't I dont think he would be able to make the kind if music he does. So yeah, generally I think assholes are the ones making the best shit out there. Its funny that just because your good people expect you not to take credit and own your shit. He worked just as hard to get where he is as anyone else. He can brag all he wants because he is that damn good. If he wasn't he would have faded into obscurity already.

You must be really culturally sheltered if you believe that only assholes are the only one's making good shit.

#43 Posted by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

Just another clown samboing to the masses. He started out as a truth telling lyrical genius. Now he's just an angry self absorbed ass who is struggling to get out of Jay's shadow who even then just raps about the same garbage and glorifying nonsense. No he's no rock star, he's a rap star by definition. Living the rock star life, yes.

To me he will never be greater than Em and to a lesser extent Common who made it big and still didn't sell out his raps to glamorize garbage.

#44 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

1. Ozzy Osbourne
2. Ozzy Osbourne
3. Ozzy Osbourne

...Kanye West is not a rock star!

#45 Posted by kishinfoulux (2317 posts) -

Don't pay attention to music anymore, but the answer is probably Justin Timberlake. He's the Michael Jackson of our generation, or closest to it anyways.

Also I love that he just says what is on his mind and people get mad, even when they think the same. They don't have the balls to and he does. They mad. Like the whole Taylor Swift thing.

#46 Edited by Missacre (566 posts) -

Yeah, rockstars don't exist anymore. They really are a myth these days. As much as people don't like them these days, the last rockstars were probably Poison and Guns 'n Roses. They made the music and lived the lifestyle, right before that grunge nonsense came along. That is when rock 'n roll died.

#47 Edited by Sniipe (216 posts) -

Jack White, Dave Grohl, or Dan Auerbach.

#48 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

Ahem.

#49 Edited by ajamafalous (12004 posts) -

I think I'd go with Dave Grohl.

Also Kanye is not rock, etc.

#50 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3749 posts) -

Even if you get way into the "rock means rock" thing, Yeezus is more "rock" than 90% of rock music these days. I'm only being a little selective when I choose these three; there's at least a couple more that are rocked-the-fuck-out.

And peep the guitar solo at the end of this slower song, courtesy of Mike Dean.

He's not a pop star, not like Adele or T Swift anyways. No smiling at awards shows and marketing towards the norms. He's still wilding the fuck out and disrupting the message. If there's a bigger rock star left, I must have missed it. The only thing he's doing wrong is trying to move modern rap to the legacy of classic rock; rockists will never accept it, and rap is its own beautiful and incredible lexicon.

EDIT: Also, fuck racist-ass Jimmy Kimmel. Dude is an unfunny asshole with a history of blackface jokes, fuck him forever.

I think some of you people are confusing rock with punk. Of course, that sort of "dangerous rebel quality" has always been played with by rock stars, but it's hardly a requirement. And to represent my personal choices: