Who Should I Support In The World Cup?

seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By seanvail99

So I'm jacked for the World Cup but I have no team to cheer for since I'm Canadian and we didn't qualify.  

Who should I support? Sell me on a team! I just can't decide and the tourney would be way more fun if I had a team to back.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fwylo

I hear the Lakers are good.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No one. Soccer sucks. 

bh0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By bh0y

People who state their opinion like it's fact suck !

I'm going Japan. 

However being Scottish, anyone opposing England seems fair game too :)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'm going for Germany. I hope they do the Fuhrer proud.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

You should support your Queen's team, eh?

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Team USA.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By EdIsCool

The Netherlands, next to spain the biggest attacking threat in the tournament, buckets of style, dodgy defence. Should be exciting, I'm Irish, but studying in the Netherlands the last 4 months, have always supported the dutch becuase my dad loved the 74 and 78 "Total Football " sides.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob

Nobody, because whoever you support will most likely lose. Plus you should find something better to do with your time.

JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

Being Irish, anyone but France or England.

I have a bet on Chile to win so they are my team for the tournament.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidS
@Jimbo said:
"You should support your Queen's team, eh? "

No, but support another commonwealth country like Australia or New Zealand. Some bars have been given permission to open early and serve booze here in Calgary during the cup so if you see a guy passed out in the street in an Australian jersey at noon don't worry, it was planned. 

For ultimate comedy option go for North Korea. 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

North Korea.

mcmets93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By mcmets93

Start watching all the games and ill bet eventually you will find a team that you want to cheer for. Im going USA and Italy because i live in the US and im half italian

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ChickenPants
@MysteriousBob said:
" Nobody, because whoever you support will most likely lose. Plus you should find something better to do with your time. "
Says the guy on a videogame forum.

Anyways, since Ireland won't be there I'll just be hoping to see some exciting football. Of course over my many years of watching football I've built up slight bias' to other countries. 
eg. I always like to see The Netherlands do well because they play some beautiful football. Oh and during Euro 2000 when I was just a lad watching a match in a bar in France a really hot Dutch girl      gave me a flag to wave.
      I like to see Asian teams do well because they play really tenaciously to makeup for their usual lack of class.
      I always want to see Argentina,Portugal and Italy do well though I have no idea why.
      I like to see the USA do well because it's such a minority sport over there in contrast to the other countries where football is king.
     I support Man Utd. and as such I hope their players have good tournaments - really sad about Nani's injury in particular.
     I've never been a really big fan of Brazil, probably because I've never seen a really stellar Brazilian team in action.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@bh0y:@JellyFish_Gsus:  Gahh, I hate that attitude. I, as an Englishman, love to see the other British teams do well. It always baffles me why you'd want the team closest to home to do badly.

For example, I'm an Arsenal supporter, but if Arsenal get knocked out of the Champions League... I'll root for the other British teams instead. It's better than some random team completely unaffiliated with yours winning it.

LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR!
ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ClaritySam

When my team doesn't qualify I generally watch a few group games and then see who impresses me.  In 94 the awesome Bulgarian team of Stoichkov and Letchkov won me over straight away.  This time I'd look out for Slovakia, with their cultured midfielder Marek Hamsik, Serbia with the intimidating Vidic and Ivanovic looking very solid in defence and I wouldn't be surprised to see the USA do well this time out.  Anyway with that said, I'm off back to Football Manager :-)

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EdIsCool
@creamypies said:

" @bh0y:@JellyFish_Gsus:  Gahh, I hate that attitude. I, as an Englishman, love to see the other British teams do well. It always baffles me why you'd want the team closest to home to do badly.  For example, I'm an Arsenal supporter, but if Arsenal get knocked out of the Champions League... I'll root for the other British teams instead. It's better than some random team completely unaffiliated with yours winning it.  LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR! "

Manchester United didnt occupy Highbury for 800 years(chiefly due to its not existing I'll admit), persecute the native people ,steal their land, and cause through neglience a famine(1845-50) which killed a million and caused another million to emigrate in a country which produced more than enough food, but the english owned the land and so the food was exported abroad.  
Ireland is not a home nation , we are not British and owe no allegiance to British or Home Nation teams, well a certain fondness for the Welsh and the Scots.
 I love english people , love english television, but I will change channels when God Save The Queen comes on, and hope England goes home early.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By c1337us

Dude go for the Socceroos.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ClaritySam
@EdIsCool said:
" @creamypies said:

" @bh0y:@JellyFish_Gsus:  Gahh, I hate that attitude. I, as an Englishman, love to see the other British teams do well. It always baffles me why you'd want the team closest to home to do badly.  For example, I'm an Arsenal supporter, but if Arsenal get knocked out of the Champions League... I'll root for the other British teams instead. It's better than some random team completely unaffiliated with yours winning it.  LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR! "

Manchester United did occupy Highbury for 800 years(chiefly due to its not existing I'll admit), persecute the native people ,steal their land, and cause through neglience a famine(1845-50) which killed a million and caused another million to emigrate in a country which produced more than enough food, but the english owned the land and so the food was exported abroad."
Love this idea, fuck Arsenal ;-)
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@EdIsCool: Dude, this is what I mean. When people bring fucking politics into the game. The England players had nothing to do with that, nor did the backroom staff. The England of then, is not the England of now.
Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blueman
@EdIsCool said:
"@creamypies said:

Manchester United did occupy Highbury for 800 years(chiefly due to its not existing I'll admit), persecute the native people ,steal their land, and cause through neglience a famine(1845-50) which killed a million and caused another million to emigrate in a country which produced more than enough food, but the english owned the land and so the food was exported abroad.  Ireland is not a home nation , we are not British and owe no allegiance to British or Home Nation teams, well a certain fondness for the Welsh and the Scots. I love english people , love english television, but I will change channels when God Save The Queen comes on, and hope England goes home early. "

Your bitterness is hilarious.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EdIsCool
@creamypies said:

" @EdIsCool: Dude, this is what I mean. When people bring fucking politics into the game. The England players had nothing to do with that, nor did the backroom staff. The England of then, is not the England of now. "

They are the representatives of the people of England, they have the flag and anthem of  oppression, its like sense memory, red rag to a bull. Even though you like Rooney et al when they play for United, that flag, that anthem drags up the them and us thing. Not enough time has passed Bobby Sands, internment without trial etc the wound was being opened up until very recently. Even though you like english people, brain for a few seconds switches off, flooded with pure celticness, of which stubborness is a cornerstone.
Its political, everything is political actually.
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@EdIsCool said:
" @creamypies said:
" @EdIsCool: Dude, this is what I mean. When people bring fucking politics into the game. The England players had nothing to do with that, nor did the backroom staff. The England of then, is not the England of now. "
 They are the representatives of the people of England, they have the flag and anthem of  oppression, its like sense memory, red rag to a bull. Its political, everything is political actually. "
Ugh. No offense, but I hate your pessimism.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By one_2nd

Base it on your ethnic background. I'm an american and I'm going for the US and Italy. 

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cap123

Go for england! You share our queen and she will of course be watching every game on the edge of her seat, wearing a shirt with rooney on the back and swearing at the TV.

Don't support brazil just because they play the best football, that's booooriiinnng. There will be no drama unless you play Spain. You want a team who has as  good a chance to win as to lose.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By clubsandwich

I'm mexican, but I'll be rooting for Argentina and Italy, because I hate my country and hate the fucking coach, and I love Argentina, love their football, their country and their women, same with Italy.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ClaritySam
@mnzy said:
" As a german, can you describe to me how it is if you don't qualify? "  

I hate you, love from the whole of England. ;-)
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss

Frankly that's the main reason I'm not a soccer fan.
As a Canadian we never have a team there and randomly choosing a team to pretend to get behind just doesn't carry the passion of being a real fan of something.

seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By seanvail99

Wow - thanks for all the amazing feedback.  I like to see people getting fired up about their countries and their soccer. Even though soccer isn't a main sport I follow, I've played and love the game so I have mad respect for soccer fans around the world.

I'm thinking the Aussies will be the team I'll follow closely. They are certainly an underdog and will have a tough time advancing out of their group but they seem to have a feisty style. Plus, us Canucks can relate to Aussies in a lot of ways ;)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By KaosAngel

Your home country?

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@seanvail99 said:

" So I'm jacked for the World Cup but I have no team to cheer for since I'm Canadian and we didn't qualify.    

Lol, we never do. The CSA is a joke. What's your ancestry? Support them.

If you don't have a team, it's always fun to cheer for an underdog. South Africa are obviously the home team, but personally I'm calling Honduras to be the Cinderella story of the tournament. I don't think they'll win the title, but I think they'll surprise a lot of people.  

@mnzy said: 
" As a german, can you describe to me how it is if you don't qualify?  No, as always: go for the underdog. If you want to have some fun, go for the underdog that has a chance.  My favourites apart from germany though: -Ivory coast. Africa never wins anything even if they have amazing teams on paper. This is their chance.-North korea for representing the cold war. Also, highest potential of their shirt being worn by hip people. No chance of winning anything, though.  edit: I have to add: don't support italy. That is probably the most important thing to remember. "
 Well, the sport here isn't nearly as popular as it is outside of North America. Still, there's always a lot of hype. Sadly, that hype usually turns into a lot of douchebags who's great grandparents are from Portugal or Italy, don't speak a word of that language, and have never even been to the motherland, claiming "their country" is the best team in the world. It's not just those two countries, England is the same, as are some others, but my city has a large Italian and Portugese population.  

Finally, I can't say I agree with your Ivory Coast support. I like to see the underdogs do well just as much as the next guy, but losing Drogba was a MASSIVE blow for that squad. 
seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By seanvail99
@FakePlasticTree: My roots go back to the first groups arriving in Canada from France in the 1600s so I'm pretty damn Canadian. I love Quebec but I can't stand France so despite how good they are, there's no way I can support them (although oddly I love Thierry Henry).  

Honduras is interesting but since they were a big part of the reason Canada didn't qualify I couldn't do it.  
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Karl_Boss
@fwylo said:
" I hear the Lakers are good. "
This.
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@mnzy said:

" Honduras just lost 0-3 to romania, and they are not even in the world cup. I wouldn't count on them. "

Ya I know, and they're on a five game losing streak. But I've just got a feeling about them. Like I said, I don't expect them to win the cup, but they've got a week and a half from then until their first match, and I think Chile is a team they can beat.  

@seanvail99

said: 

@FakePlasticTree: My roots go back to the first groups arriving in Canada from France in the 1600s so I'm pretty damn Canadian. I love Quebec but I can't stand France so despite how good they are, there's no way I can support them (although oddly I love Thierry Henry).   Honduras is interesting but since they were a big part of the reason Canada didn't qualify I couldn't do it.   "

Honduras isn't a part of the reason Canada didn't qualify. Canada have no one to blame but themselves.  This was the best chance they had at qualifying in decades, and they fell apart. 
randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By randiolo

italy and the socceroos ! 

seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By seanvail99
@FakePlasticTree: "
Honduras isn't a part of the reason Canada didn't qualify. Canada have no one to blame but themselves.  This was the best chance they had at qualifying in decades, and they fell apart.  "
Agreed. There is no reason Canada should be losing to Jamaica and Honduras. Unacceptable. 

I like to think that someday the CSA will get their act together, but they don't give me much cause for hope.
SaintMits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By SaintMits

COME ON ENGLAND. THREE LIONS ON OUR SHIRT. VINDALOO. FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME. 1966 WE STILL BELIEVE.

Blablabla.

FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@seanvail99 said:
" @FakePlasticTree: "
Honduras isn't a part of the reason Canada didn't qualify. Canada have no one to blame but themselves.  This was the best chance they had at qualifying in decades, and they fell apart.  "
Agreed. There is no reason Canada should be losing to Jamaica and Honduras. Unacceptable.   I like to think that someday the CSA will get their act together, but they don't give me much cause for hope. "
The problem is one of the CSA's two main offices is in Toronto. And here it's all Leafs and Raptors. The money doesn't get put into the CSA. Though there have been rumblings about the federal government dumping a lot of cash in to our national soccer team. I'm sure synchronized swimming and other such "sports" would suffer because of it, but who cares? Build a competitive soccer team and they will bring in more money than the "sports" you cut from. 
Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wrect

Its always fun to root for team USA.  The perpetual underdog in international soccer. 

I also usually back Italy, and I pick an African team to root for.  This year, it will be Nigeria.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Jadeskye
@seanvail99: England! support your commonwealth brethren!
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@Wrect said:
" Its always fun to root for team USA.  The perpetual underdog in international soccer.  I also usually back Italy, and I pick an African team to root for.  This year, it will be Ghana. "
Lol, I guarantee you the last team any Canadian is cheering for is the good 'ol US of A. 
seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By seanvail99
@FakePlasticTree: Well the results from the Own The Podium program were positive overall so hopefully that is encouragement to continue to fund elite level international sports in Canada. I like the growth of MLS up here, and the strides they've mad in TO, Montreal and Vancouver are positive but that doesn't really translate to international success unless it gets backed up with some serious funding and support.