#51 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

The problem with Idris Elba is that it becomes the whole 'first black bond' thing and he's quoted as saying he would hate that, this was when they approached him a few years ago when it looked like Daniel Craig wanted out of the whole franchise. You just know the media would have a field day with that story too, as if it was inconceivable. Sure, in the original books he was the rich orphan white kid from the all boys boarding school but it's sad we can't just have him be a black guy.

Anyway, I do desperately want to see Idris Elba in a solid spy flick or thriller type movie. I think he would be awesome.

#52 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

James McAvoy

#53 Edited by Bob_Toeback (308 posts) -
#54 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

Idris Elba, the fallout would be insane.

Also, he's like, a good actor or whatever.

#55 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Idris Elba, obviously.

In a film directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, also.

#56 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

Idris Elba, obviously.

In a film directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, also.

oh god that would be... something else.

#57 Posted by Stonyman65 (2703 posts) -

Jason Statham

#58 Posted by binhoker (82 posts) -

rupert everett or ian mcshane.

#59 Posted by Revan_NL (341 posts) -

50 Cent

#60 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6190 posts) -

Neil motherfuckin' Patrick motherfuckin' Harris. Or Rip Torn. Don't make me choose.

#61 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

Idris Elba is like 40 now, I'm guessing there are still a couple of Craig movies in the works, so Elba would be what? 45 when he plays Bond, that is not that old by movie standars. Fassbender is 35 now so maybe he would be bbeter age-wise. James Macavoy is like 30, he maybe a little too young but he would be great also.

If they choose a woman I think Lena Headly should do it.

#62 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Neil motherfuckin' Patrick motherfuckin' Harris. Or Rip Torn. Don't make me choose.

and that would be the perfect opportunity to make him gay

now I wonder what would make more people angry... black james bond or gay james bond or woman james (well jane assumingly) bond

#63 Edited by flindip (533 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

now I wonder what would make more people angry... black james bond or gay james bond or woman james (well jane assumingly) bond

The whole idea of a female James Bond is completely pointless. I have no problem of doing a female character inspired by James Bond. But eventually you change the perimeters of a character so much that they become irrelevant. James Bond isn't a women, and trying to make the character fit into those perimeters is utterly silly. Now, if they want to do a story about a female 00 agent, thats perfectly fine.

As far as a black James Bond, that could work. A gay James Bond? Probably not. If no other reason that a big part of literary Bond is using sexuality to get what he wants. A gay person isn't going to be able to use their sexuality as easily. For the mere fact that most people in the world are not homosexuals. A bisexual James Bond? Yeah, that could work.

At the end of the day, James Bond is a male power fantasy(like Conan). It was written by a man for men. That was the intended audience. Characters shouldn't be reimagined to the point they stop being the character they originally were. Its better to make an entirely different character.

#64 Posted by Wampa1 (663 posts) -

@Animasta: See I read that as Rip Torn playing him as a flaming homosexual. Which I would pay any amount of money to see. Double if it's drunk Rip Torn.

#65 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Michael Fassbender

#66 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@stoodspoon said:

My choice, Benedict Cumberbatch

1.He is handsome

2.Awesome voice

3.He is Sherlock Holmes

Fuck. No.

#67 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I would love to see JGL play the role, but he's not English/Scottish/even Australian, so I'm willing to let him go. He does a better Bruce Willis anyways.

I agree that it looks like Cumberbatch will be a hot commodity over the next five or so years. The question is, however, how far do his acting chops go, and will he go to Bond or to Doctor Who? Or will the new Sherlock eventually just join those ranks? I have a feeling this next Star Trek movie might actually sink his chances at being Bond over the next Doctor. Playing Khan, or fake-Khan for that matter, is probably just too campy for a pre-Bond role.

I'm totally with the "Jane Bond" call. Mostly because I'm pretty damn sure Skyfall is pretty much the final summary of the last fifty years of Bond, and I'm ready for a new kind of movie. Idris Elba will be old, and my only problem with that is that this Craig arc is gonna reflect the fact that Craig is totally getting "too old for this" (considering it was already referenced in Skyfall.) To swap to Elba would be jarring; he'll be older in his first movie than Craig was in Skyfall.

#68 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

As much as I love Elba, it'd be so fucking weird to have Stringer Bell become James Bond. You know what? I could get down with that, actually. But if you're doing that, go all the way and give it to Michael K. Williams. Imagine Omar being a suave spy.

#69 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Is Benedict Cumberbatch the most British name of all time?

#70 Edited by flindip (533 posts) -

@MikkaQ: I'm not sure if Williams could do a decent british accent, or even play a convincing suave character. We have never seen him in those type of roles. Elba could pull off both of those things fairly easily.

Just to give some of you an idea. The Fleming Bond is about in his early 40's. Bond is not supposed to be a young guy.

#71 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

The Rock. Or Keith Urban.

Actually, both.

Actually, anyone but Roger Moore.

#72 Posted by applet0n (653 posts) -

Idris Elba. He'd be great in the role.

#73 Posted by stoodspoon (626 posts) -

@meatdimensionfighter said:

Sam Worthington

OH NONONONONONONONONONO

#74 Posted by Rafaelfc (1346 posts) -

Josh Brolin would be a FANTASTIC james bond

#75 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@flindip said:

@MikkaQ: I'm not sure if Williams could do a decent british accent, or even play a convincing suave character. We have never seen him in those type of roles. Elba could pull off both of those things fairly easily.

Just to give some of you an idea. The Fleming Bond is about in his early 40's. Bond is not supposed to be a young guy.

But then it would prove the whole James Bond is a code name thing if you had an american one, a-ha! I'm not really being serious, but they need to address that shit.

#76 Posted by Vod_Crack (721 posts) -

Jimmy Wales.

#77 Posted by Pop (2631 posts) -

He also has to sound like a brit.

#78 Posted by Coafi (1488 posts) -

Johnny Depp and Tim Burton as the director. Also, the whole movie is in black & white.

#79 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@psylah: I don't think they would ever cast a non-Brit as Bond and honestly I wouldn't want them to.

Edit: as non-Brit I meant "The Islands" as I am fully aware Sean Connory was Scottish.

And Brosnan is an Irishman

#80 Posted by Veektarius (4822 posts) -

Chiwetel Ejiofor

#81 Posted by Fat_Magnum (68 posts) -

Christian Bale

But he has to do his shitty Batman voice the whole time

"Bond! Jaaaames Where-are-they Bond!"

#82 Posted by Humanity (9218 posts) -

@devilzrule27: Well by The Islands I meant that whole little area including Scotland and Ireland. Yes I know Scotland is part of the UK as well but people identify themselves as Scottish. Although didn't know that Lazenby was Australian, but thats technically just a descendant of a British criminal outcast.

#83 Posted by Deusx (1904 posts) -

Jack Black.

#84 Edited by Deathshroud (359 posts) -

I Say Michael Fassbender. That scene from X-men First Class were he goes into that bar sold it for me.

#85 Posted by NTM (7377 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

Christian Bale.

Really...? I'm all for that, but noooo.

#86 Posted by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

@Bell_End: Yes Please, James Bond needs a round headed actor!

#87 Posted by Largo6661 (335 posts) -

Edris Elba hands down.

#88 Edited by Pr1mus (3905 posts) -

@bananaz said:

Elba! That dude is hardcore. Honestly, I hope Craig sticks around. If not, Elba would be really cool.

Daniel Craig as already signed on for 5 more movies after Skyfall.

I agree that Elba would be awesome but may end up being too old by the time Craig is done. Realistically 5 more movies means at least another 10 years if not more.

Christian Bale would be my second pick. I think people associate him too much with Batman and forget how he played Bruce Wayne in a very condescending asshole kind of way with a normal sounding voice in the first two films.

#89 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

@Pr1mus: He has 2 more signed for, 5 total. Craig has made three.

#90 Posted by Pr1mus (3905 posts) -

@flindip said:

@Pr1mus: He has 2 more signed for, 5 total. Craig has made three.

Yeah it seems he signed for 2 more but was offered a contract for 5 more after Skyfall. My mistake.

#91 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Justin Bieber, because I am a horrible person.

#92 Edited by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Idris Elba

#93 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Black lesbian Jane Bond who is also Jewish.

#94 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Elba. Charisma. Handsome. Actually English.

#95 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

karl pilkington

#96 Posted by Bob_Loblaw (110 posts) -

Michael Fassbender pretty much is James Bond in the first 20 mins of xmen first class.

#97 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

I still say Jason Statham. I think he's been more Bond than Daniel Craig in my opinion (though I haven't seen Skyfall yet, and folks say that it's more Bond than Bourne, so maybe that's changed). Always thought he was perfect for the role since that reboot of The Italian Job.

#98 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Jeust: I don't know if you know it but they did offer Clive Owen the rule of James Bond before Denial Craig and he refused because he really wanted to do Children of Men. I guess the truth is that it was only a rumor. My mistake.

#99 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

Clive Owen would be awesome, but I think he'd be too old by 5 years or whenever the next Bond is unveiled.

I agree that Fassbender or Elba would be fantastic choices. Elba has a more street-tough quality, while Fassbender has a more suave style.

Either way, it would be great.

#100 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -