#151 Posted by J12088 (462 posts) -

Daniel Radcliff.

#152 Posted by Grillbar (1903 posts) -

i know there is no way this is going to happen but Tom hardy.

since james bond have moved towards a more action heavy hitter in your face he would be awesome and then there might be a chance that i would watch a bond flick since roger moore and Sean Connery. and that was in 85

#153 Posted by Grillbar (1903 posts) -

i know there is no way this is going to happen but Tom hardy.

since james bond have moved towards a more action heavy hitter in your face he would be awesome and then there might be a chance that i would watch a bond flick since roger moore and Sean Connery. and that was in 85

but your pick aint bad actually. and maybe clive oven.

UH or dame edna

#154 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

I would prefer someone I didn't know. I hope they cast to type for the role too like they did for Craig. Whatever they decide Bond will be after Craig, whether they'll continue with the rough and tough thing like they've done with Craig or do something else, they need to cast the right British dude for the role. I would be disappointed if they just went for a name.

#155 Posted by Discoman (170 posts) -

Clive Owen will be too old sadly. Maybe Tom Hardy?

#156 Edited by flindip (534 posts) -

One thing the Bond franchise has to do in a modern context is reintroducing SPECTRE.

Bond needs his rogue gallery back. It was the biggest missed opportunity of Quantum of Solace and made the movie irrelevant.

#157 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

@Jaytow: I think he's a good enough actor to play him, but I can't really see him as Bond.

#158 Posted by Iodine (551 posts) -

Idris Elba in the character of Stringer

#159 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

@Humanity said:

I've heard rumors that Idris Elba would be the next Bond which would be quite a bold move.

That would be fucking amazing!!!

#160 Posted by whore_of_babylon (8 posts) -

Colin Firth.

#161 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

Ray Stevenson, if he was 5 years younger and slimmer.

#162 Posted by Lashe (1266 posts) -

Michael Fassbender, or Idris Elba.

#163 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Idris Elba. That man... when he is looking into the camera, my soul melts. Is there a more attractive man that Stringer in a fucking suit? I think not.

#164 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

It can only go up from here so have at it.

#165 Edited by Fattony12000 (7559 posts) -

Justin McElroy. 007.

#166 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

Christian Bale.

#167 Posted by TheHT (11773 posts) -

@whore_of_babylon said:

Colin Firth.

That would really be awesome.

#168 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

You nailed it, Cumberbatch is the perfect choice

#169 Posted by TheHT (11773 posts) -

@Venatio said:

You nailed it, Cumberbatch is the perfect choice

Cumberbatch will forever be Sherlock to me. Though I am curious to see how he'll be as the Necromancer and Smaug.

#170 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (302 posts) -

David Tennant.

#171 Posted by JBird (490 posts) -

@Bell_End: Well this thread can end now cant it. Your right. That is the right answer.

#172 Posted by DxBecks (72 posts) -

Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be a great choice I think.

#173 Posted by falling_fast (2278 posts) -

bring in another relatively unknown extremely dapper looking young guy, I guess.

#174 Posted by Gruff182 (875 posts) -

Tom Hiddleston or Sherlock

#175 Posted by Hunter5024 (5961 posts) -

What's with people freaking out when non white characters are played by white dudes, but drooling when the prospect of Idris Elba as Bond is mentioned?

#176 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1012 posts) -

If Christian Bale gets to play Batman and Henry Cavill Superman, I say an American gets to play Bond. Mwa ha ha.

#177 Posted by RazielCuts (2986 posts) -

Michael Fassbender would be a good choice if I wasn't afraid he would chew the scenery a bit, although maybe that would work. Tom Hardy would be alright but he'll need to slim down again, that guy gets buff and thin like nobody's business. Idris Elba would be good but I don't want him cockney.

#178 Edited by qawsed (145 posts) -

Hey girl, how about Ryan Gosling.

Or Emma Watson, because hey why not.

#179 Posted by JordanaRama (225 posts) -

Idris Elba.

#180 Posted by LTSmash (659 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great said:

If Christian Bale gets to play Batman and Henry Cavill Superman, I say an American gets to play Bond. Mwa ha ha.

Americans have played Sherlock Holmes and Margaret Thatcher, so why not.

If not, could a Canadian do the job?

#181 Posted by Kadayi (185 posts) -

@Lashe said:

Michael Fassbender, or Idris Elba.

Both fine actors and both perfectly capable however Alba is 40 and Fassbender is 35 presuming Craig (whose 44 btw ) does two more films then we're talking 3 - 4 years on the clock for both of them. People are going to look at a new actor then they need to look for someone mid to late 20s really. Not an age range of actors I'm that au fait with tbh however: -,

http://www.listal.com/list/young-british

Someone like a Henry Cavill, or Alex Pettyfer looks like they could fit the role in a few years

#182 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3024 posts) -

It is pretty clear the next Bond should be a female Bond...right?  I mean why not.  So, I choose Emily Olivia Leah Blunt, the English actress who performed in the British drama My Summer of Love and also worked in The Devil wears Prada. She is beautiful

#183 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

Jason Statham

#184 Posted by flindip (534 posts) -

@Kadayi: Um no. Bond is not someone in their late twenties. That is way too young for the character. Bond is supposed to be in his early 40's.

Even Connery, who was in his early to mid thirties in reality(in the 60's), could pass for someone in their 40's when he played the character.

#185 Edited by flindip (534 posts) -

@MonkeyKing1969: Well cause its not the character? Its not like changing Bonds skin color. In order for a female Bond character to work you would completely change or omit certain support characters(and how they interact).

You would have to completely rewrite the character to where it would become unrecognizable. This is the same problem writers for BSG ran into with Starbuck. The difference is that Starbuck, in the original BSG, was not a cultural icon(he was also a flimsy character). So they could take as many liberties as they wanted and rewrite the character as their own.

#186 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

What's with people freaking out when non white characters are played by white dudes, but drooling when the prospect of Idris Elba as Bond is mentioned?

because's he's perfect for the role?

Also whitewashing is a Thing that happens a lot, while the opposite (...blackwashing? I feel like I want to make a boot leather joke here) doesn't.

I mean the last movie that had white washing that I remember was Avatar, which wasn't even for the excuse of "they're good actors".

#187 Posted by clumsyninja1 (816 posts) -

Jensen Ackles

#188 Posted by flindip (534 posts) -

@Animasta: Has white man ever played Othello? I would assume so.

#189 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

@BoG said:

This is a no-brainer. is the only choice.

Whoa, I just realized probably has an english accent!

#190 Posted by DonutFever (3536 posts) -

That kid from Two and a Half Men.

#191 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

The youngest son from Home Improvement would, obviously, be the best choice.

#192 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2609 posts) -

Betty White

#193 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Shit, now that you guys mention it, I totally want Idris Elba as the next Bond; that man has a gorgeous accent.

#194 Posted by Hunter5024 (5961 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hunter5024 said:

because's he's perfect for the role?

Also whitewashing is a Thing that happens a lot, while the opposite (...blackwashing? I feel like I want to make a boot leather joke here) doesn't.

I mean the last movie that had white washing that I remember was Avatar, which wasn't even for the excuse of "they're good actors".

Well we didn't know they were bad actors when everybody freaked out over it, they were unknowns. In fact the characters they were playing were racially ambiguous in the source material and everyone still freaked out over white casting, because they felt like they couldn't possibly be those characters because of the color of their skin. I don't really have a horse in this race (boom), because I don't care about James Bond, or Avatar and never saw the dude's name before this thread, but I'm just saying that if anybody championing Idris Elba as Bond was one of the people who wore an "Aang ain't white" shirt, that's pretty racist. Either ethnicity should matter in casting to you or it shouldn't, we can't pick and choose based on the race in question.

#195 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Hunter5024: I... don't necessarily think so. It's not like we're talking about Elba because he's black, after all; we're talking about him because he's an actor that could probably play Bond pretty well and is a known quantity at this point. It's like, being white is not Bond's primary defining trait; it's being hella british, and there ARE a not insignificant number of black britons out there. whereas the defining trait of the avatar characters was the fact that they were all based on asian culture, I suppose (fire nation = japan, earth kingdom = china, air nomads = tibet and well the water tribes are inuit which isnt asian but whatever)

There's a difference between arbeitrarily changing a character's ethnicity and ignoring history because the actor could portray the character well.

I guess.

I don't know?

#196 Posted by LiquidPrince (16166 posts) -

@stoodspoon said:

My choice, Benedict Cumberbatch

1.He is handsome

2.Awesome voice

3.He is Sherlock Holmes

Fucking no way... I don't see the allure of this guy and people are always mentioning him positively. I mean, I have nothing against him and enjoy the new Sherlock quite a bit, but he's a bit too dickish for my tastes. He has the cocky dickish look about him, but not in the funny sort of way that say Robert Downey has. He also doesn't seem to have the Bond physique or charm.

#197 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1148 posts) -

Craig has two more movies left, so that could be another four to five years before they need to start thinking about a new Bond.

#198 Edited by medacris (674 posts) -

Idris Elba. Watch Luther and you'll see why he's so amazing.

I like the alternate female Bond idea as well (like Male!Bond, I can only see a Brit playing the part). Has anyone suggested a gay/lesbian Bond yet? I'd love to see that too.

#199 Edited by h83r (470 posts) -

Paul Walker, guys! And the story will be Bond infiltrating an illegal street gang. And he's gonna need some NOS. And Bow Wow can be the new Q!

Oscar, please!!

#200 Posted by Hunter5024 (5961 posts) -

@Animasta: If I knew more about Avatar I might have more of an argument to make, but all I can say is from the four or five episodes I saw their ethnicity definitely never seemed to be a defining character trait, and it didnt seem like it was even established which ethnicity they were supposed to be. If anything Aang looked white. Whereas in Bond it was established in the books and all the movies that came before that he was white. If anything it seems like there's more of a cause to make a kerfuffle now, and the only reason we're not is because this time it's a white guy being replaced, and they're like the L.A. Lakers of race, so who cares.