Who Wants To Be A (Slumdog) Millionaire?

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBoy

Last night, I watched the 81st Annual Academy Awards, and I quite enjoyed the show.  Hugh Jackman did an impressive job as host, and I was quite amazed by his dancing and singing abilities.  I also liked the way the main awards were presented, with past winners handing out the Best Actor / Actress and Best Supporting Actor / Actress awards, while giving little speeches about the nominees.  The one thing I deplored about the proceedings was the amount of commercials.  Is the economy so bad that they need a commercial break every 10 minutes or so?

As for the winners, I don't have much to say.  Heath Ledger was a shoe-in as Best Supporting Actor and yes, I did get teary-eyed when his parents and sister accepted the award.  Penelope Cruz was a big surprise for Best Supporting Actress, but I was pulling for Marisa Tomei, even though she was, in all honesty, a long shot for the award.  I'm happy Kate Winslet won for Best Actress and, although the movie she won the award for (The Reader) doesn't interest me in the slightest, she is a superb actress and deserves it fully.  However, I'm disappointed that Mickey Rourke didn't win the Best Actor Oscar for The Wrestler, as it went to Sean Penn (for Milk).  Some people are crying foul, because of the role Penn plays in the movie (a gay rights activist), but I won't go that far.  Sean Penn is a terrific actor and I cannot speak without seeing his performance first.

Which brings us to the night's big winner: Slumdog Millionaire.  Danny Boyle won the Best Director Oscar for it, and the film itself won Best Picture, as well as numerous other accolades.  I've heard nothing but good and wonderful things about this movie and, after seeing its performance last night, I cannot wait to watch it.  I'm pretty sure it'll get a wide release in theaters now that it won Best Picture, so I'll try to go see it on the big screen.

What about you guys?  Do you agree with the winners?  If not, why?

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By DBoy

Last night, I watched the 81st Annual Academy Awards, and I quite enjoyed the show.  Hugh Jackman did an impressive job as host, and I was quite amazed by his dancing and singing abilities.  I also liked the way the main awards were presented, with past winners handing out the Best Actor / Actress and Best Supporting Actor / Actress awards, while giving little speeches about the nominees.  The one thing I deplored about the proceedings was the amount of commercials.  Is the economy so bad that they need a commercial break every 10 minutes or so?

As for the winners, I don't have much to say.  Heath Ledger was a shoe-in as Best Supporting Actor and yes, I did get teary-eyed when his parents and sister accepted the award.  Penelope Cruz was a big surprise for Best Supporting Actress, but I was pulling for Marisa Tomei, even though she was, in all honesty, a long shot for the award.  I'm happy Kate Winslet won for Best Actress and, although the movie she won the award for (The Reader) doesn't interest me in the slightest, she is a superb actress and deserves it fully.  However, I'm disappointed that Mickey Rourke didn't win the Best Actor Oscar for The Wrestler, as it went to Sean Penn (for Milk).  Some people are crying foul, because of the role Penn plays in the movie (a gay rights activist), but I won't go that far.  Sean Penn is a terrific actor and I cannot speak without seeing his performance first.

Which brings us to the night's big winner: Slumdog Millionaire.  Danny Boyle won the Best Director Oscar for it, and the film itself won Best Picture, as well as numerous other accolades.  I've heard nothing but good and wonderful things about this movie and, after seeing its performance last night, I cannot wait to watch it.  I'm pretty sure it'll get a wide release in theaters now that it won Best Picture, so I'll try to go see it on the big screen.

What about you guys?  Do you agree with the winners?  If not, why?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By gearhead

Little disappointed that Mickey Rourke did not win, but both Sean and Mickey have won numerous awards, Mickey winning best actor in the independent film awards among other awards. Plus, I think he probably happy that his career is just back on track.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3  Edited By JamesF

Marisa Tomei definitely should have won, and Sean Penn only won because of the part he was playing in my opinion. Mickey Rourke was far superior in acting.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I think Bruce Springsteen getting snubbed for best original song was one of the biggest crimes of the academy. Other than that, I pretty much knew Slumdog would clean house, and Sean Penn's win surprised me a bit myself. I've heard his performance is superb, but I doubt it has THAT much to do with him playing a homosexual. The Wrestler did get snubbed, but then again I haven't even seen it. I look forward to watching most of the nominees on DVD, though I will most definetly skip The Reader...not my type of movie at all.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm hoping Slumdog does get a wider release because I'm dying to see it a second time in theaters.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Bruce

They were pretty predictable for the most part. Rourke was robbed though.

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By darro

I wanted Mickey Rourke to win also and that was probably my only disappointment with the night.  I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire but I want to as it has been getting rave reviews and recognition.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ElectricHaggis

I wanted Jim Reardon (WALL-E) to win best original screenplay.
Only because Jim was a director at the Simpsons for many years.  I have actually yet to see the movie.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

i loved slumdog, but i think it was overrated overrated. not worth 8 oscars dude. also, that ji ho song is terrible my goodness. 

and rourke, i never seen a guy deserve it so much more than the competition and still lose it.

i also thought walle would win the screen play, there were no words for like the first half, so it was so impressive seeing how much emotion poured out of the movie without any dialogue 
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Artie

Best Actor was a surprise for me aswell.

This year was extremely "meh" though. Slumgdog Millionaire is a good movie, but when you compare it to any other Best Picture, it seems out of place. That's really just a statement of all the other movies nominated, rather than the film itself. The one award that was complete bullshit was "Sound Mixing" it's a niche award that no one knows or cares about, but for those who don't know: Sound Mixing is when the sound crew re-record sound effects for the film.

For instance, throwing a watermelon at pavement to make the sound of a fist hitting a guy's face. Slumdog millionaire only used average normal sounds, and did nothing spectacular. But Wall-E was also nominated for that category, and lost. For animations, every single sound has to be recorded in a studio, it's absurd that Wall-E did not win that, and it made it pretty clear that Slumdog would win every award it was nominated in.

The SHOW itself was the best so far, but in terms of awards, it was predictable as hell.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By lordofultima

Awards shows are always a lul for me. Getting sleepy just thinking about it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

Bruce should've won, goddammit. The fact they snubbed him for a nod really bothers me. Besides that, I was satisfied with most of the awards. Slumdog was great, and so was Sean Penn. He was excellent and either him or Rourke deserved the Oscar and one of them got it, 'nuf said. Heath Ledger's win was also very touching. That was very deserved.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us

I barely seen any of the movies that were major contenders in this years awards: Benjamin Button, Slumdog, Milk, Reader etc. And I can really only see myself getting to see Benjamin Button out of all of those as the rest dont interest me. I was glad that Heath Ledger won as I was a big fan of The Dark Knight but I didnt get sad or teary at all when he did and call me heartless but I find it a bit dreary when a room full of talented pretenders do get the way they do at an awards ceremony. And living in Perth, Heaths home town we are saturated with Heath Ledger.

I have heard of heaps of people calling foul about Mickey Rourke but you know I actually dont mind at all. I found The Wrestler to be over rated. Im not saying it wasnt a good movie I just thought it was over rated. Rourke was actually my prefered choice I just didnt feel strongly about it because of my over view of the movie. I hope we see a lot more of him in the future, and if he keeps getting parts like that I am sure he will cap of his come back with an Oscar some time down the track.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive
Artie said:
"Best Actor was a surprise for me aswell.

This year was extremely "meh" though. Slumgdog Millionaire is a good movie, but when you compare it to any other Best Picture, it seems out of place. That's really just a statement of all the other movies nominated, rather than the film itself. The one award that was complete bullshit was "Sound Mixing" it's a niche award that no one knows or cares about, but for those who don't know: Sound Mixing is when the sound crew re-record sound effects for the film.

For instance, throwing a watermelon at pavement to make the sound of a fist hitting a guy's face. Slumdog millionaire only used average normal sounds, and did nothing spectacular. But Wall-E was also nominated for that category, and lost. For animations, every single sound has to be recorded in a studio, it's absurd that Wall-E did not win that, and it made it pretty clear that Slumdog would win every award it was nominated in.

The SHOW itself was the best so far, but in terms of awards, it was predictable as hell.
"
great points. i was thinking the exact same thing for the sound mixing award. i said to myself, wait a minute, every single sound in wall-e was created in a studio dude! 
i also thought wall-e deserved best screen play, the first half of the script was made up of nothing but seriously well written descriptions, and what happened on screen was oozing with emotion even though there was little to no dialogue (if you count the singing on the tv and wall-e trying to say eve). 

it was the best show they've down, but holy shit was the hugh jackman musical stuff fucking lame. "the musical is back!" *FACEPALM*
he wasn't a great host and many many people easily stole the show from him like for instance Jack Blacks hilarious bit during the animation awards, and Ben Stiller's awesome Joaquin Pheonix impression (i think its a hoax thing like borat for a documentary/comedy movie that Casey Afleck is making though). 
but yeah, the was they presented the awards was far more entertaining and the people they chose to present them was much better. 
But the over glorification of the "best actors" was cheesy, and nobody wants to be forced to watch a minute long clip of all the best supporting actress acceptance speeches. lol it was like com onnnn. and even though it was sorta cool having former best actor winners say nice things about the nominees (and all get a mtv style entrance) it was still totally unnecessary. 
i liked how the presented screenplay awards a lot. i like how the read the scripts while the scene played out on the screen. 

ps. dude, slumdog was very cool, but not nearly as good as they say. 
i was very entertained watching it, but once it was over, it was totally forgettable. 
and there was good music in there, but holy fuckin lord the JII HOOOO song BLOWS. my goodness that was like, wait this guy is really winning an award for that weird shit

pss. the Dark Knight was better than Slumdog Millionaire. it should have at least been nominated, i dont think it should have won, but at least nominated. but i also thought the wrestler should have been nominated. never has a movie been so convincingly real to me. halfway through i felt like i was watching a documentary. rourke totally deserved best actor, not sean penn, he even had to give rourke props during his acceptance speech. rourke is a truly natural talent and hollywood dislikes him because of that, he cant act incredibly well, but his a free spirit and will do what ever he desires, and they still haven't forgave him for just up and leaving hollywood. 
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By artofwar420

Just watched the wrestler, and it should have won some Oscars, it was so powerful. This is coming from a former wrestling fan, back in the good old dizzays. And the ending, DAMN. Amazing ending. The movie touched my soul in so many ways.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Moeez

I'm only sad that WALTZ WITH BASHIR didn't win in Best Foreign Film. I'm kinda happy that finally a movie with no big name stars won awards, and was better than the other Best Picture movies. Ok, maybe not better than Revolutionary Road, but oh well, some people don't like that movie. 

Dark Knight was snubbed for nominations in better categories. Like, Best Directing? Best Screenplay? Best Visual FX?
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Mushir

The fact that Wall-E didn't win for best sound is bullshit! Slumdog Millionaire was a great film but did NOT deserve all the 8 awards it won.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive
Twilight said:
"The fact that Wall-E didn't win for best sound is bullshit! Slumdog Millionaire was a great film but did NOT deserve all the 8 awards it won."
lol for real. the song is annoying too, JIII HOOOO wtf?!
temperedvortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By temperedvortex

I liked the awards very much but i didn't really care for the nominees for best picture just because I have not seen any of them

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Moeez

At least Slumdog is more deserving of 8 Oscars than Return of the King deserving like whatever number of Oscars it got...

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By lightwarrior179

Here in India much has been talked about Slumdog and how it represents our country in a negative light (by selling "poverty" for Oscars). That's humbug and all as the movie was an entertaining watch and finally drove home a very humane message to it's viewers.

I can call it the best movie of 2008 to come out from Hollywood but not something that deserved to get so much attention worldwide . I dunno....maybe it's because I've seen too many movies that have similar elements as Slumdog (underdog victory,never-say-die human spirit, and that "feel good" factor) too many times in the movies made here to feel anything "emotional" about any part of Slumdog.
I think it did so well as Oscars mainly since...
1. The Academy are suckers for movies based on human spirit and human rights. Slumdog falls into one of these categories.
2. The kind of movies like Slumdog Millionaire are still a novelty in the West. 
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Commando

I never even heard of Slumdog Millionaire until the Oscars. I am kinda disappointed that we Americans can't even win our own awards anymore.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wolverine

I can't say if I agree with the winners because I have not seen most of the movies.