Who's going to watch the debate tonight?

• 165 results
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

I know that discussing politics on a video game forum would be an exercise in futility, but I'm actually pretty stoked to see what goes down. Expectations have been lowered for both sides, but given that Romney can't come out of this with anything other than a win I predict he's going for a hail marry to salvage is campaign.

Thoughts on the debate and your expectations.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I hope my candidate (optimus prime) will break through the roof and explain his platform before turning into a rig and driving off into a beautiful sunset.

I will say I'm not a big fan of politicians, but I do love optimus prime.

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By runnah555

Maybe if they actually answered questions rather than give the popular statement I would be interested.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shookems

You are fucking mental if you think Romney has a chance at winning this debate.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

They're super boring, over-produced, over-moderated and we're not going to hear a single new thing about Romney's plan (I'm not convinced he actually has one.) But yeah, i'll watch it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

I lived in New Zealand during election time, their debates were way more interesting, it was just the canidates and the question asker (a popular newsman) alone in a conference room, no crowd, very little moderation, so much more freedom.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar

@TooWalrus said:

I lived in New Zealand during election time, their debates were way more interesting, it was just the canidates and the question asker (a popular newsman) alone in a conference room, no crowd, very little moderation, so much more freedom.

In terms of format, that doesn't differ from the presidential debates that much. Two candidates, one moderator (a popular journalist), a crowd that is not allowed to many any noise. The idea of letting the candidates simply talk to each other without a structured debate format was presented by Peter Jennings many years ago, but it never caught on.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Phatmac

I will if I remember.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexanderSheen

The Daily Show is enough for me.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By crazyleaves

Yep, can't wait to hear Mitt's zingers!

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Is it going to be streaming somewhere?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

@crazyleaves said:

Romney's Retorts™

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

@runnah555 said:

Maybe if they actually answered questions rather than give the popular statement I would be interested.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Flawed_System

Obama shall provide a substantial amount of humor.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turambar

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

Pretty sure it will be broadcasted on all major news networks and their respective websites.

pizzapotomus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By pizzapotomus

A year plus of campaining did't give you enough of an idea on each candidates stances and opinion? No, I have seen enough the candidates I am considering to make my choice.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre

It should be an entertaining bloodbath at least.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By falserelic

Obama is going to stunt on all of them.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShadowConqueror

If I'm not busy and I remember, sure.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Jams

@pizzapotomus said:

A year plus of campaining did't give you enough of an idea on each candidates stances and opinion? No, I have seen enough the candidates I am considering to make my choice.

It's not hard to imagine some people still on the fence about who they want as President. Some people are stuck between economic policies and social ones. I read about one Latino lady from Nevada that liked Romney's economics but didn't like his stance on immigration. But she also didn't like what Obama was doing with everything. I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm for gay marriage, pro choice and pro evolution with immigration reform. But I'm for small federal government and bringing factories back, bringing jobs back, cutting all the government jobs down by a lot (we don't need 100 IRS employees working half-assed as opposed 25-50 working at a decent pace.) But I think the economy is the most important to fix right now, so I'm leaning Romney. I'd really rather have Ron Paul or Gary Johnson, but yeah that'll never happen. EDIT: I'm also for giving teachers all the funding they need because they're the most important people in the country. They can do pretty damn good on a shit budget, just imagine if they had near unlimited funds to teach with.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mtcantor

@Jams said:

@pizzapotomus said:

It's not hard to imagine some people still on the fence about who they want as President. Some people are stuck between economic policies and social ones. I read about one Latino lady from Nevada that liked Romney's economics but didn't like his stance on immigration. But she also didn't like what Obama was doing with everything. I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm for gay marriage, pro choice and pro evolution with immigration reform. But I'm for small federal government and bringing factories back, bringing jobs back, cutting all the government jobs down by a lot (we don't need 100 IRS employees working half-assed as opposed 25-50 working at a decent pace.) But I think the economy is the most important to fix right now, so I'm leaning Romney. I'd really rather have Ron Paul or Gary Johnson, but yeah that'll never happen. EDIT: I'm also for giving teachers all the funding they need because they're the most important people in the country. They can do pretty damn good on a shit budget, just imagine if they had near unlimited funds to teach with.

Sounds to me like you lean far more D than R.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jams
No Caption Provided

@mtcantor said:

@Jams said:

@pizzapotomus said:

Sounds to me like you lean far more D than R.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Turambar said:

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

Pretty sure it will be broadcasted on all major news networks and their respective websites.

I realize it'll be on the news networks. I just don't have a television right now (trying to save up for a good one).

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cornbredx

Debates are fun to watch when one of them is an idiot. 

I may watch this year, I don't know. Sometimes it can be funny or interesting- you never know with debates.  

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#25  Edited By Slag

Nope, not going to waste any of my life on politicians. My mind was made up a long time ago. I can read the cliffnotes on the web which will let me know if something crazy happened.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Strife777

I will just to get the gold spartan armor avatar on the 360!

Alright maybe not just for that, I think it might be interesting, I've never actually watched a presidential debate before.

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My candidate (John Wayne Gacy) is going to win because he has super clown molesting powers that are useful in raping and mutilating the opposition :)

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By _Zombie_

I can't be bothered to care about politics anymore, so no, I won't.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By scalpel

They aren't debates.

jdw519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By jdw519

It's hard to imagine the debates having a very big impact, Obama has a pretty solid lead in most swing states, but it will be fun to watch Romney trip over himself attempting to keep up with Barack tonight.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Marcsman

I'm already booked to watch some paint dry.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Presidental debates in American politics are a waste of time. It's just a prepared talking set piece countered by another prepared talking point set piece with a few memorized zingers thrown in for good measures. Hard questions are skirted around and few election defining moments have occurred in the last 50+ years. Most voters, like myself, have already decided upon a candidate and I will probably vote early tomorrow to avoid the Election Day madness at the polls.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mtcantor

Better question: For those of you who ARE watching the debate tonight, how many of you will be watching on your Xbox?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By intro

If I end up hanging out with my girlfriend today, which I probably will, then no I won't watch it. If something comes up I'll probably at least turn it on in the background and try to listen for funny shit Romney is bound to say.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

It's meaningless trash.

I'm not American (WHEW!) but I wouldn't waste my time voting when both candidates are identical and the democrat is nothing more than a more radical Bush.

Sad times to be a leftist.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I will watch it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MikkaQ

If it's online, sure I'll watch it. I got a long night of cutting and categorizing hours of interview footage so anything to break the tedium is nice. Even if it's political nonsense. I hope it's entertaining nonsense.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By twigger89

I will watch it, I hope it is as entertaining as the Republican Primary debates, because those were just bat shit crazy

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By imsh_pl

Political debates are nothing but a bunch of crap. Instead of logical reasoning, valuing principles and refuting arguments they focus on demagogery and meaningless rhetoric.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I'm not interested in seeing two people argue about which one of them is the worst, but I'll probably catch some bits later on.

They really are just attacking each other. I dare anyone here to bring me one political ad that isn't prefaced by an attack on the other candidate.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aegon

Will there be a livestream?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jams said:

@pizzapotomus said:

It might surprise you to know that Obama supported legislation that would offer more affordable loans to small businesses. People like to associate government jobs with lousy office jobs but a good bulk of it is scientists, teachers, police officers, hospitals, firemen, etc.

Furthermore, the whole expansion of the government thing isn't the biggest thing running down the deficit. It's simply the fact that all the baby boomers are now getting old and there's a huge disparity in who is paying for the social security. From what I recall, social security and medicare accounts for around 60-66% of our current debt problems.

Romney likes to say that he has solutions but has never said that he's willing to cut specific parts of social security or medicare only that he is for "reform". But this is a stance that both parties follow. Obama believes that investing in the health of Americans will ultimately make them healthier and more productive (better economy) but this belief hasn't been tested or supported by scientific evidence.

So to me, I'd much rather have a president who is more willing to invest on science and technology than a president who believes that the world is 6,000 years old and that the Garden of Eden was somewhere in Missouri.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I think I'm going to bash my head into a wall for a couple of hours, I'll probably enjoy it more.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Franstone

The former governor of Mass debate?

ehhh heheh...

; )

Yea probably.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#45  Edited By UltorOscariot

I'll watch. I know who I'm voting for, but I do love a good bit of theatre as these two essentially make their case for two diametrically opposed views of how we should orient policy in the next four years, with Obama making the case for collectivism and Romney making a case for rugged individuality, at least in so far as either actually prescribes to the ideology of political base they are trying to excite, which I doubt in both cases

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TMBaker

Yeah "debate"

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By TheHT

@crazyleaves said:

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aetheldod

Nope .... I aint no gringo dude

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By imsh_pl

@Castermhief117 said:

It might surprise you to know that Obama supported legislation that would offer more affordable loans to small businesses. People like to associate government jobs with lousy office jobs but a good bulk of it is scientists, teachers, police officers, hospitals, firemen, etc.

Furthermore, the whole expansion of the government thing isn't the biggest thing running down the deficit. It's simply the fact that all the baby boomers are now getting old and there's a huge disparity in who is paying for the social security. From what I recall, social security and medicare accounts for around 60-66% of our current debt problems.

Romney likes to say that he has solutions but has never said that he's willing to cut specific parts of social security or medicare only that he is for "reform". But this is a stance that both parties follow. Obama believes that investing in the health of Americans will ultimately make them healthier and more productive (better economy) but this belief hasn't been tested or supported by scientific evidence.

So to me, I'd much rather have a president who is more willing to invest on science and technology than a president who believes that the world is 6,000 years old and that the Garden of Eden was somewhere in Missouri.

By 'invest' you mean 'force other people to pay for under the threat of force', correct?

I'm sorry but you make it sound like the government has some resoucres to 'invest' and 'redistribute' which were not obtained through the barrel of a gun.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aegon said:

Will there be a livestream?

I would also like to know this.