• 60 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Summer is coming up and I reeeeally want a job. Do you know places that are hiring? Any places that really need more staff? It's sad to say that I have no work experience. Every year I feel like I'm in this trap where no-one wants to hire me because I don't have experience and I can't get experience to put on my resume which would help me get hired. I really want to change that this summer. I feel like I need to.  

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aegon
@GunslingerPanda: The reason I'm asking real people is because real people walk around and maybe work at places and they can see where there are new workers wanted signs or if they need more people at their own places or you know, the system is complex and more people = more knowledge of the system. 
mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mesklinite

You could try Ubisoft Toronto for a tester position. I'm sure they'll be hiring soon. I'm not at the toronto studio so I can't help you there, but it's worth looking into!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger
eshchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eshchan

Zings has an office in Toronto that does mobile development, you can a

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jumanji

go treeplanting

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aegon
@eshchan said:
Zings has an office in Toronto that does mobile development, you can a
I can a ____?
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aegon

Bumping due to desperation. 

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hunkulese

McDonalds is always hiring.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By donkeycow

What you need is experience, once you have that getting a job is easy, so you can do what i did (I'm also in Toronto btw), go to the Habitat of Humanity Restore (there are a few of them in the city, i went to the one on Bermondsey in East York) and volunteer there. You won't make money but it will let you claim customer service experience as well as stock room experience. If you ask it will also get you a reference. I worked there for about a month and a half, and then was able to get a job at Sobeys. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Rokkaku

@Hunkulese said:

McDonalds is always hiring.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SSully

Maybe instead of wasting time here you could go out and actively look for a job, search the internet for possible jobs, or maybe go on a forum that is based around a particular field you are looking to get into. What you are doing now is just a huge waste of time and shows me exactly why you have no work experience.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@H2Oyea: Haha if this is your effort to get a job, its not going to happen. Go into places and drop off your CV, if you got nothing to put on it just be creative with stretching out your accomplishments, say your hardworking, work well in a team or alone yada yada yada. If not go to a temping agency and get work through them. Since you have no work experience, WORK ANYWHERE WHAT EVER THEY GIVE YOU. References are the key to finding better jobs.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PeasantAbuse
fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fraser

I lived in Toronto briefly. I would pay you to constantly send me food from Kom Jug Yuen on Spadina.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aegon
@SSully said:

Maybe instead of wasting time here you could go out and actively look for a job, search the internet for possible jobs, or maybe go on a forum that is based around a particular field you are looking to get into. What you are doing now is just a huge waste of time and shows me exactly why you have no work experience.

That's harsh, but that's actually exactly what I'm doing right now. The only reason it said online on my thing is cause my tab is open. I've applied online for a couple of jobs already in the past few hours....boy do they ask a ton of questions. 
turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By turbo_toaster

Networking is the absolute BEST way to find a job. I think it's perfectly understandable that you'd try here, it couldn't hurt. You never know! I wish someone had told me how important networking was when finding work, it's easily gotten me 75% of the gigs I've had to date. Good luck finding something!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Sooty

Maybe you should ask God.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By InternetDotCom

How good is the organ black market in Canada?

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Tylea002

@Sooty said:

I was counting down the hours until this showed up.

Seriously though; I'm not in Toronto, but yelling at him for being lazy really is unfair. Getting that all important first job is, as they say in the biz, an absolute bitch. I've been applying for countless hours in London, but also to no avail; for one I have not got experience yet, and for two I'm a weird kind of nervous, who has an overwhelming urge to overstate his negative aspects so the other person isn't dissapointed. All in all, I'm statistically the worst person for getting a job, though not for lack of trying. Dude's not doing any harm, and who knows, some guy from Toronto might know some people who know some people and get those people in touch.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SSully

@H2Oyea said:

@SSully said:

That's harsh, but that's actually exactly what I'm doing right now. The only reason it said online on my thing is cause my tab is open. I've applied online for a couple of jobs already in the past few hours....boy do they ask a ton of questions.

Yes its harsh, but true. If you are relying on a gaming forum for job help then you obviously don't get it. But you are doing other stuff, so good for you. I wish you the best of luck duder.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aegon
@Turbo_Toaster: Yeah...I have like one friend who works at Sobey's. I've tried to use him as my connection to no avail. At one point it looked like they actually were going to hire me, but no, just raising my hopes up to topple them.
SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmilingPig

Economy kind of sucks right now... I would suggest you to "borrow" a squeegee and learn how to use it.

If that does not work and you have a prety mouth and are over 18, whore houses are now legal in Ontario.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aegon
@SmilingPig: Unfortunately I don't have a purty mouth, in my opinion anyways. Although that does make me wonder what the responsibilities of this hore are...
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By TheHT

@SmilingPig said:

If that does not work and you have a prety mouth and are over 18, whore houses are now legal in Ontario.

Well sheeeiit, time for a night on the town!

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheHumanDove

I got a job when I was 15 flipping burgers at mcdonalds. Everyone has to start somewhere. Go out and explore the world, champ/

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deusx

@Sooty said:

OH SNAP!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aegon
@Deusx said:

@Sooty said:

OH SNAP!

Sick burn.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Dagbiker

@Sooty said:

Dont be an ass.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Enigma777

@Tylea002 said:

@Sooty said:

I was counting down the hours until this showed up.

Seriously though; I'm not in Toronto, but yelling at him for being lazy really is unfair. Getting that all important first job is, as they say in the biz, an absolute bitch. I've been applying for countless hours in London, but also to no avail; for one I have not got experience yet, and for two I'm a weird kind of nervous, who has an overwhelming urge to overstate his negative aspects so the other person isn't dissapointed. All in all, I'm statistically the worst person for getting a job, though not for lack of trying. Dude's not doing any harm, and who knows, some guy from Toronto might know some people who know some people and get those people in touch.

You know what, as someone who's spent every goddamn day of the last two months filling out applications, I second this. Finding a job really sucks and we should all help each other.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sooty
@Dagbiker said:

@Sooty said:

Dont be an ass.

It was just a topical jest.
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tim_the_corsair

You should speak to all the unemployed people on here and form a company that does something or other.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By boylie

@Mesklinite said:

You could try Ubisoft Toronto for a tester position. I'm sure they'll be hiring soon. I'm not at the toronto studio so I can't help you there, but it's worth looking into!

The man speaks truth. Especially if you have no work experience, getting in as a tester is a good way to get your foot in the door. Worked for me. Actually, worked for too, if memory serves haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Networking is the absolute BEST way to find a job. I think it's perfectly understandable that you'd try here, it couldn't hurt. You never know! I wish someone had told me how important networking was when finding work, it's easily gotten me 75% of the gigs I've had to date. Good luck finding something!

This 100%, I've gotten hooked up with two jobs while in highschool and now in college because of friends who worked there and put in a good word.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By white_sox

Perhaps you might have to suck it up and get a job in fast food. It is kind of hard to start demanding better positions when you haven't started at square one. How old are you/do you have a degree beyond a high school education?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aegon
@white_sox said:

Perhaps you might have to suck it up and get a job in fast food. It is kind of hard to start demanding better positions when you haven't started at square one. How old are you/do you have a degree beyond a high school education?

Currently working on a Bachelor's in Science. 
DrMacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DrMacca

Do you want a job in your (future) field? If you're doing a Bach. of Science you could look for a lab job at your University/College? I went to UofT (more than 10 years ago now....I'm old) and there were lab jobs available - you just need to ask TAs and Profs.

Outside of that - you can always try retail - just print out your resume, suck it up and go store to store passing them out - it can be a bit of a blow to your ego but it's what you gotta do. We've all been there and it's just a part of the learning process.

Push comes to shove you can go through an agency like ManPower to get a factory job - one summer I worked full time at a sticker factory. Grueling work but paid the bills and I've moved on to better things.

Good luck and keep your head up!

L

PS I did a Bachelor's in Science too!

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ducksworth

What kind of job are you looking for? If you're working towards a bachelors in science then you could theoretically pull of a 4 month co-op placement over the summer. Do you also have a decent resume at hand?

There have been a lot of good ideas thrown around in this thread. Networking can be a huge time-saver, it's how I got my upcoming job and I'm hoping to do some good networking while I'm there. In the worst case scenario you might have to do some volunteering and gain experience and networks through there. I'm in the tech field but if you (or anyone for that matter) want to PM me an anonymous version of your resumes I could try and provide some feedback. I'm not claiming to be an expert in them but I've had hiring managers from some big names give me feedback that I could possibly pass on.

Edit:

Also, please check out www.talentegg.com. It's a neat little website that aggregates jobs fairly well and it's just another resource you should constantly be checking during your job hunt.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aegon
@DrMacca: Did you go past a B.Sc? I don't think I will. 
DrMacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DrMacca

H20,

No, I went to med school after finishing my B. Sc. I know a B. Sc sometimes gets bad rep but it's not only a stepping stone to professional school or Masters/PhD - I know a number of people that do a variety of jobs with their degree from working for Environment Canada to a Pharma Rep.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aegon
@DrMacca: Haha, I kind of figured the "Dr" in DrMacca wasn't just a creative choice. 
Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jumanji

you should go treeplanting

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aegon
@Jumanji said:

you should go treeplanting

You already said that...is treeplanting not what I think it is? Or do you think the joke is THAT good? 
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By Skald

You should probably rob a bank and move to France.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By mustachioeugene

@H2Oyea: What kind of work are you looking for?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aegon
@mustachioeugene said:

@H2Oyea: What kind of work are you looking for?

Something that's not fast food. I know a lot of people have been recommending that route, but I wanna avoid it if I can for multiple reasons. Mostly I guess something in retail or in a grocery store. Jobs outside of that realm seem most likely to need some sort of specific training or higher education that deal with it or they're simply manual labor jobs.  

@Skald said:

You should probably rob a bank and move to France.

Is that reference to something?
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kmdrkul

Don't ask for jobs on the internet. Don't even apply for jobs on the internet. Go to your local restaurants/retail stores IN PERSON, politely ask to see the manager, then tell them you are interested in working at their establishment and that you would like to fill out application. You are sitting on your hands right now and quite frankly will have very little luck getting hired from your computer. In person is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better.

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By 1momosauky

Move to Calgary