Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Aegon
@kmdrkul said:

Don't ask for jobs on the internet. Don't even apply for jobs on the internet. Go to your local restaurants/retail stores IN PERSON, politely ask to see the manager, then tell them you are interested in working at their establishment and that you would like to fill out application. You are sitting on your hands right now and quite frankly will have very little luck getting hired from your computer. In person is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better.

I applied online to stores that only accept online applications.
UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By UitDeToekomst

i think the Leafs are looking for a goalie and a decent d-man. interested?

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Willtron

@fraser said:

I lived in Toronto briefly. I would pay you to constantly send me food from Kom Jug Yuen on Spadina.

I live in Toronto right now, and if Spadina wasn't a bit of a trip, my Goddddddd I'd eat there every single day.

And straight up, just... walk around and look for jobs? O_o

And if you have to get a fast food job, get it. Stop being a bitch, and just do it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Turambar
@H2Oyea said:
@mustachioeugene said:

@H2Oyea: What kind of work are you looking for?

Something that's not fast food. I know a lot of people have been recommending that route, but I wanna avoid it if I can for multiple reasons. Mostly I guess something in retail or in a grocery store. Jobs outside of that realm seem most likely to need some sort of specific training or higher education that deal with it or they're simply manual labor jobs.  
I'll stress something here.  For someone with zero work experience, you are not in any position to be picky.  When employers talk about job experience, its not simply whether you have spent doing something relevant to what that position is about.  A lot of it involves simply showing the capacity to be productive in a work environment.  If you can't find something, suck it up and work in the food service industry for a summer.  If you can show that you actually know how to work a job, any job, your chances at something better will be much better next year.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By MikkaQ
@H2Oyea When I found out some stores only did online applications, I basically said "No thanks". It's almost impossible to be hired online if you don't already have experience.

When I was in your exact position last year, I just cycled around Toronto in a nice shirt, dropping off 10 resumes a day for a week. Eventually got a job at an indie theatre, and now I hve almost two years of retail experience to put on a resume.

Just volunteer or intern somewhere to gain experience/skills for a more impressive resume. Worked for me.
Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Willtron

Agreed on the internship/volunteer stuff. It really, really does help. And yes, really, you should suck it da fugggggg up. As stated, experience is experience. Doesn't matter if it's relevant. And summer? Oh no, A WHOLE SUMMER working in fast-food? You could do much, much worse. It's barely anything.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By kmdrkul

@H2Oyea said:

@kmdrkul said:

Don't ask for jobs on the internet. Don't even apply for jobs on the internet. Go to your local restaurants/retail stores IN PERSON, politely ask to see the manager, then tell them you are interested in working at their establishment and that you would like to fill out application. You are sitting on your hands right now and quite frankly will have very little luck getting hired from your computer. In person is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better.

I applied online to stores that only accept online applications.

Forget that shit. Take it from me - those types of places will never get you hired. Managers want to see eager faces taking the initiative of showing up in person and going out of their comfort zone. Sorry if you have been doing this, I was just under the impression that you are ONLY applying to places online. That is bad.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jumanji

@H2Oyea said:

@Jumanji said:

you should go treeplanting

You already said that...is treeplanting not what I think it is? Or do you think the joke is THAT good?

I have no idea what you think treeplanting is, and it wasn't meant to be a joke.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Skald

@H2Oyea said:

@Skald said:

You should probably rob a bank and move to France.

Is that reference to something?

It's a reference to having money if you set your sights too high with zero work experience.