#1 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -

I am not saying atheists are bad I know that all atheists have there own morals and are good people. But whenever the topic of religion pops up on giantbomb a lot of people say they don't believe in God. If you look at it stastically shouldn't there be more religious people. I'm not one of these people that pray before my meal and I have barley read the bible. I'm not a person who pushes my religion on other people and I think it is very rude that my school has this thing called FCA every wednesday morning  where freaking 8th graders can preach about God, Faith, and there life and how to solve problems. I mean what the fuck do  little snot nosed 8th graders know about life. Anyway there 2.1 billion Christians alone so that 1 out of 3 of the world's population right there. Let's see there are 1.3 Muslims in the world so that 1 out of 6 people. And for what i can find there are about at least 500,000 Buddhists in the world. There are at least 850 million hindus so there should be more people who believe in faith then don't on giantbomb. 
THANKS for reading!

#2 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

Because not being told what to do is cool, and right now cool is cool, and people like being cool. Cool?

#3 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

Well i was christened . And i do believe in god but i don't practice Christianity . I'm a pretty shitty christian tbh

#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

01010101010101... God doesn't compute.

#5 Posted by AaronAlex (182 posts) -

I believe in a higher power, but i don't like being confined to one religion, or a set of ideals. 

#6 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -
@LuffyUzumaki said:
" I am not saying atheists are bad I know that all atheists have there own morals and are good people. But whenever the topic of religion pops up on giantbomb a lot of people say they don't believe in God. If you look at it stastically shouldn't there be more religious people. I'm not one of these people that pray before my meal and I have barley read the bible. I'm not a person who pushes my religion on other people and I think it is very rude that my school has this thing called FCA every wednesday morning  where freaking 8th graders can preach about God, Faith, and there life and how to solve problems. I mean what the fuck do  little snot nosed 8th graders know about life. Anyway there 2.1 billion Christians alone so that 1 out of 3 of the world's population right there. Let's see there are 1.3 Muslims in the world so that 1 out of 6 people. And for what i can find there are about at least 500,000 Buddhists in the world. There are at least 850 million hindus so there should be more people who believe in faith then don't on giantbomb.  THANKS for reading! "
FCA isn't so much about preaching and stuff. Its mostly just games and food in a Christian environment.
#7 Posted by Walreese55 (508 posts) -

Because we see the world the way it is. Because we're not gullible enough to believe that the world is ruled by a benevolent mystical being no one has ever seen. Because we realize the world is not fair-it is the way it is. God does not figure into this. God is a figment of human's imaginations so that people can hide themselves from evident but scary truths. 

#8 Posted by yakov456 (1918 posts) -

Simple answer, because Giantbomb members are intelligent.

#9 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

Considering that gaming delves on science quite a bit, that market is somewhat more atheistic focus as atheist use forms of science to back their non-faith. Very few games have that much of a reverance towards religion as it, why be suprised.
#10 Posted by Icemael (6343 posts) -

Those statistics apply to the entire world population. When you attempt to apply them to "people who go to a specific, fairly small gaming-focused site and post on its forums", they are meaningless.

#11 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
" Simple answer, because Giantbomb members are intelligent. "
Well i don't think that is true lol
#12 Posted by lordofultima (6260 posts) -
@Claude: Dude, god is 2 in binary, he totally computes. 01101002

I think it's just the territory of the niche Giant Bomb appeals to, a majority of viewer tend to think for themselves, go figure. I don't mean that as a derogatory statement towards religious people or athiests either.
#13 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

Because I'm a Scientist and I like proof.

#14 Edited by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

I was raised as a Catholic, and never really bought into the church's corrupt system. I wouldn't say that I'm an atheist. An agnostic sure, but not an atheist. Human knowledge is limited to experience, and I have never experienced or witnessed anything that would make me believe there is a God. Still, I also cannot prove (or care to prove) that there isn't a God, so I never bother with these kind of debates because there really isn't a "right" side.

#15 Posted by Dethfish (3686 posts) -

I'm not sure why but I don't think we need 2 religion topics in one day.

#16 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -

I'm not going to say I don't believe in God because that wouldn't be true but I'm also not going to go all  "OMG! RELIGOUn!" on people, either.

#17 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Because GiantBomb is a website about videogames. And websites about videogames are normally populated with young people, who grew up in a time when religion isn't as prominent as it was about say, 30 or 50 years ago.

#18 Posted by AjayRaz (12444 posts) -
@Claude said:
" 01010101010101... God doesn't compute. "
#19 Posted by artofwar420 (6296 posts) -

Because we're smart :p
#20 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
@eroticfishcake:
You stated pretty much everything I stumbled saying.
#21 Posted by ez123 (1968 posts) -

Gaming for us is a religion and GiantBomb is the shit.

Does that answer your question?

#22 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Because of some mathematical probability. For the life of me I sure can't figure it out.

#23 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2996 posts) -

well, mainly because so many giantbomb members are anti social

#24 Posted by ez123 (1968 posts) -
@VisariLoyalist said:
" well, mainly because so many giantbomb members are anti social "
Wait, are you God?  ... or Santa?
#25 Posted by wh1terav3n (661 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
" Simple answer, because Giantbomb members are intelligent. "
Haha, you looked at the forums recently? On average, they're far better than ign but still just as many so-called "atheists" are on ign, sooo...nothin against atheists, just saying, they're no smarter than the average person and are just as likely to scream "OMG NOOOOOOB YOU ********" in my ear while I'm playing an online game.
#26 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@LuffyUzumaki: I'll post what I posted on another thread...

I. More young people use the Internet than older people.
II. This is a gaming website, so even more of the older demography is filtered out.
III. More young people have a liberal college education than older people.
IV. Liberal education inherently leads to atheism or agnosticism because of the conflict between Darwinism and core Christian concepts of Man.
V. Atheists are anti religious because they want to export their beliefs concerning pure materialism and a history of religious violence.

Ta-da!
#27 Posted by Farmer (328 posts) -
@turbomonkey138 said:
" Well i was christened . And i do believe in god but i don't practice Christianity . I'm a pretty shitty christian tbh "
It may be better to refer to yourself simply as a theist.
#28 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:
" @LuffyUzumaki: I'll post what I posted on another thread...   I. More young people use the Internet than older people. II. This is a gaming website, so even more of the older demography is filtered out. III. More young people have a liberal college education than older people. IV. Liberal education inherently leads to atheism or agnosticism because of the conflict between Darwinism and core Christian concepts of Man. V. Atheists are anti religious because they want to export their beliefs concerning pure materialism and a history of religious violence.  Ta-da! "
I'm only a High School graduate. I do like to read, so my understanding of the universe came from my own labor of love. Some of your points are good, but still... religion seeks truth through faith in the words of the gospel. I seek truth through understanding of mathematics and physics.
#29 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@jmrwacko: I'm not anti-religion. Maybe against the organization of religion, but that's all. 

Well I am certainly against the people who reject the religion's reality of kindness/love/peace and substitute their own to inject in the people who would gladly listen to them. But anyone with working brain cells would do that.
#30 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Giantbomb consists mainly of young people, tech lovers and university educated people. These are basically the least religious demographics you can think of. Also I imagine anyone with some experience with video games can see how easy it is to make something up that is believable, and see religion as simply another idea or concept that is open to critique rather than something dogmatic and sacred, as the vast majority of the mainstream population does. 

#31 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Because we worship the bomb. ;)

#32 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (978 posts) -

Religious arguments for 30 pages, commence!

#33 Posted by Siris (432 posts) -
@yakov456: I agree with your sentiment. I think the majority of giantbomb users are athiest simply because they don't prescribe to any form of religious brainwashing. Certain religions can reflect good ideals, but for the majority of them - they're underlying motives in society at large are very devious and misguided. If only religion wasn't so corrupt, I think more people would be apt to listen to what they have to say. The Buddhist religion for example reflects a lot of ideals that I think would do a lot of people some good to follow the teachings of.
#34 Edited by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Why do so many people on the internet care whether or not I believe in God?  Seriously, i'll never understand the religious debates.  People must really, really like to argue.

#35 Posted by yakov456 (1918 posts) -

I'm not against any religion. Just the assholes that love to push their beliefs on others. And with any religion, there are a shit load of them.

#36 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -
@LuffyUzumaki: Because people on Giant Bomb are cool. And cool people aren't sheep. 'Nuff said.
#37 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6305 posts) -
#38 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @LuffyUzumaki: Because people on Giant Bomb are cool. And cool people aren't sheep. 'Nuff said. "

Couldn't one see that as just being a sheep for following the crowd. I mean the amount of intolerance for people of faith with the two religious thread, might make people assume GB has an underlying militant atheist following.
#39 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
" I'm not sure why but I don't think we need 2 religion topics in one day. "
Agreed, keep these to once a month at the least. I can only take so much trolling and hate for a limited time.
#40 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@LuffyUzumaki said:
" I am not saying atheists are bad I know that all atheists have there own morals and are good people. But whenever the topic of religion pops up on giantbomb a lot of people say they don't believe in God. If you look at it stastically shouldn't there be more religious people. I'm not one of these people that pray before my meal and I have barley read the bible. I'm not a person who pushes my religion on other people and I think it is very rude that my school has this thing called FCA every wednesday morning  where freaking 8th graders can preach about God, Faith, and there life and how to solve problems. I mean what the fuck do  little snot nosed 8th graders know about life. Anyway there 2.1 billion Christians alone so that 1 out of 3 of the world's population right there. Let's see there are 1.3 Muslims in the world so that 1 out of 6 people. And for what i can find there are about at least 500,000 Buddhists in the world. There are at least 850 million hindus so there should be more people who believe in faith then don't on giantbomb.  THANKS for reading! "
In almost every JRPG, the final boss is God.  You just need to level up...
#41 Posted by Jayzilla (2567 posts) -

Here is my example of why God is real: A guy wakes up one morning. He gets out of bed. There is a small, spontaneous explosion, and POOF! a DvD spontaneously is formed in midair and lands softly on his bed. He decides to fire up his PC and put the disk in because the label on the DvD has the title of a game on it! And what's better? It doesn't say, "Games For Windows" anywhere on the DvD! Sure enough, an installer prompt appears and after installation he finds that there is a fully formed game universe! 

The crazy part about this is that what I just wrote has WAY better odds of happening than how "science" says the universe was formed. A spontaneously formed game on a disk that came from nothing is more believable to me than hundreds of millions of galaxies that each contain hundreds of millions of stars EACH! I just see too much synergy on our planet with the way the oceans move, and the rains, and the winds and the seasons etc. to not see this Universe as being created. 

I also want to be clear that I am NOT talking about who or what created it. What I wrote above has ZERO to do with any religion. I am just saying that from my own experiences, I have seen no proof to lead me to believe that order can come from chaos, and that something can come from nothing.

#42 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

I think the real question here is: why are so many atheists GiantBomb members...? There's a nickel for your lace!

#43 Edited by torus (1097 posts) -
#44 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@Jayzilla said:
" Here is my example of why God is real: A guy wakes up one morning. He gets out of bed. There is a small, spontaneous explosion, and POOF! a DvD spontaneously is formed in midair and lands softly on his bed. He decides to fire up his PC and put the disk in because the label on the DvD has the title of a game on it! And what's better? It doesn't say, "Games For Windows" anywhere on the DvD! Sure enough, an installer prompt appears and after installation he finds that there is a fully formed game universe!   The crazy part about this is that what I just wrote has WAY better odds of happening than how "science" says the universe was formed. A spontaneously formed game on a disk that came from nothing is more believable to me than hundreds of millions of galaxies that each contain hundreds of millions of stars EACH! I just see too much synergy on our planet with the way the oceans move, and the rains, and the winds and the seasons etc. to not see this Universe as being created.   I also want to be clear that I am NOT talking about who or what created it. What I wrote above has ZERO to do with any religion. I am just saying that from my own experiences, I have seen no proof to lead me to believe that order can come from chaos, and that something can come from nothing. "
You're joking right?  If you think there's order in the universe, turn on CNN or Fox News.   The goddess of the universe is Eris.  Fnord.
#45 Posted by thai_jedi (81 posts) -
@LuffyUzumaki: Sorry I have to correct you, 500,000 Buddhist's in the world!?!? 80% of the Thai population alone is buddhist which is at least 65 million plus 10 of India, Sri Lanka, and Nepal. 

Sorry for that urges you know
#46 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @LuffyUzumaki: Because people on Giant Bomb are cool. And cool people aren't sheep. 'Nuff said. "
Couldn't one see that as just being a sheep for following the crowd. I mean the amount of intolerance for people of faith with the two religious thread, might make people assume GB has an underlying militant atheist following. "
No, one couldn't see that. Well except for you I guess. The so called atheist "crowd" is a fraction of a fraction compared to all those religious nuts. 

Just to be clear, I don't think everyone religious are nuts. But damn if there aren't a lot that are.
#47 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer:
Thats entropy, order to chaos. Chaos to order is what he doesn't believe in. The world is destined to become more and more chaotic according to entropy.
#48 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

I've always been curious how places come up with those statistics. I've never taken any sort of poll that asked my religion :(   For some reason I don't think it's 2.1 billion practicing Christians and encompasses a vast number of different secular groups. In other words, it'll include family members of someone who said "Yeah I guess I'm Christian though I've never been to church". Oh hey, here's a pie-chart. By that chart, non-religious types are the third largest =0

It's probably good you haven't read much of the bible or you might start wondering why the "holy book of God" says it's okay to stone a disobedient child (Deuteronomy 21:18-21) and keep slaves (way too many to list, check out "Christianity and slavery" over at Wikipedia). ;) But then again, to follow a religion without having read the teachings of it is to follow blindly, no? Ignorance might be bliss, but it is still ignorance.

As people have said, just because a pie chart says X out of Y people in the general population are Christian, doesn't mean the people who visit this site are representative of the general population. On the contrary, if you were to look at a similar pie chart of People who play lots of games, People who sometimes play games, and People who NEVER play games, you'd see a different distribution in the general population than you would see here. For example, I'd venture to guess a pie chart for GB's demographic would be something like 95% would play lots, 5% would play some, and 0% would NEVER play games, while it would probably be more like 5% play lots of games, 30% play some games and  65% NEVER play games when you take the entire world population into consideration. Heck... the NEVER category might be even higher than that.

Anyhow, I have no problem with religion -- it can be a tool for good, creating community, friendships, and hope. That said, I have an issue with people who blindly follow and defend their faith without asking questions of it, or those who try to force their faith on others. I'm of the opinion that the church should be in the heart and mind of the individual and that no one book or teacher is enough for an individual to gain an idea of exactly what sort of religion works for them. If parts of Christianity appeal to you as well as parts of Buddism, use those parts and discard the teachings that don't feel right or fit with how the world has changed since those books were first penned.

Whee there's my rant for the day. I remember middle school was where I really started questioning faith and religion and it was quite a journey of discovery. Best wishes for your own journey :)

#49 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @teh_pwnzorer: Thats entropy, order to chaos. Chaos to order is what he doesn't believe in. The world is destined to become more and more chaotic according to entropy. "
No, entropy is devil talk.  It's the work of Eris.  Fnord.
#50 Posted by torus (1097 posts) -
@torus said:
" A 700 person poll (at the time of this post) indicates that about 45 percent of Giantbomb's forum community does not believe in a god (strong agnostic or atheist). 

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/do-you-believe-in-a-god-i-am-a/263184/ "
I forgot to mention: the reason non-believers would appear to be overrepresented on Giantbomb is that gamers are generally a younger population with a specialized interest. A demographic with a specialized, non-mainstream, technically oriented interest. That is, nerds are overrepresented. Nerds (I included) tend to think analytically, and thus, do not believe in a God.