Why are so many giantbomb members atheist?

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@teh_pwnzorer:
I would enjoy your humor if it was remotely humorous, but you're becoming someone I just skim past.  
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By RsistncE

It's probably because most Christians think the internet is the work of the devil. Thank go...err...Bhudda.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @teh_pwnzorer: I would enjoy your humor if it was remotely humorous  "
Therein lies the paradox of the humorless humor.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@teh_pwnzorer:
Touche.
b_radt007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By b_radt007
@StarFoxA said:
" The fact that there is a majority of atheists on Giant Bomb isn't surprising, but I thought that our community could be more mature than the rampant religious hostility I've seen here. "
For real!  I really wish people could post on forums without saying things to just offend those who don't agree with them.  It just shows your ignorance.
itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By itsmadness
@ez123 said:
" Gaming for us is a religion and GiantBomb is the shit.    Does that answer your question? "
Hahahah, nice

I agree with this answer
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@b_radt007:
Ignorance, or hopeful. I didn't start using forum till about 2 years ago, it's quite surprising how spiteful people becoming the more disconnected they are. But then again, it's easier to cut down than to praise.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

People dying and starving all around the world, hunger, rape, murder, war....yet this is a part of god's plan. 

LOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By ajamafalous
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#110  Edited By jakob187

Atheism.  hehehe  So funny.  A religion fighting against religion.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@jakob187 said:

" Atheism.  hehehe  So funny.  A religion fighting against religion. "

Haha!  I know!  There is no such thing as an atheist, anyway!

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By kmdrkul
@teh_pwnzorer: So, basically you are both admitting that atheists are frequently loudmouths online and you are putting them on the same level as the person in that video.  

*Blinks*
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because it's full of rebellious teens

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By hakunin
@jakob187 said:

Uhhh, what?
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#116  Edited By Hamst3r
@jakob187 said:
Oh you.

I'd argue with you, but I have to go make cookies for the atheist prayer group at the godless chapel tonight. After we pray to the invisible pink unicorn we're going to hand out pamphlets to people trick-or-treating. :)

FSM bless you,

Reverend Hamst3r
fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By fishinwithguns

People are getting less and less religious all the time (in America).  Just think about how well atheist author's books have sold in America (like Dawkins and Hitchens).  There are a lot of people who don't believe in god but wouldn't admit it...there's a lot of closeted atheists out there, or at least a hell of a lot of skeptics.  I had a very religious upbringing and am now atheist, I live in the south...had I lived further north or somewhere religion wasn't in my face all the time I'd probably think differently about it or just never really consider it much at all.  The subject of religion gets me pumped up, I both love and hate to talk about it.  It's just that I myself am 99% sure there is no heaven or hell, and my parents believe they are going to heaven when they die.  In other words, in my eyes my parents are being deluded and it makes me very angry (especially when they say negative things about other religions).  There's no way I can make my ideas about religion make any sense to them.

I would actually describe myself as more of an anti-theist.  Atheists simply don't believe in a god, but that doesn't mean they can't WISH there were a heaven and all that.  Anti-theists don't believe but also don't even like the idea of an all-seeing, ever-present, omniscient being.  I think it's a very negative concept, having some being constantly watching you, behaving in ways without rhyme or reason.  And the Christian God to me is very cold and impersonal, I have enough love, I don't like the idea of loving something so vague and absent, and so much so that in comparision it's as if I hate my family (it does say that in the Bible).

A lot of this probably sounds really harsh but it's only because it's in text and it's on a very touchy subject.  Being from the south, I know a great deal of Christians and many of them are among the nicest people I met.  I like the idea of being "Christ-like" way more than being Christian.  I wish there were more people like you, who understood that one can be a genuinely good person despite the absence of religion in their lives.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@jakob187 said:
Atheism is not a religion, but the lack of one.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@kmdrkul said:
" @teh_pwnzorer: So, basically you are both admitting that atheists are frequently loudmouths online and you are putting them on the same level as the person in that video.    *Blinks* "
You're clever.  Now, interpret the previous statement as you wish.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By hatking

I'm athiest because I was raised christian.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By kmdrkul
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @kmdrkul said:
" @teh_pwnzorer: So, basically you are both admitting that atheists are frequently loudmouths online and you are putting them on the same level as the person in that video.    *Blinks* "
You're clever.  Now, interpret the previous statement as you wish. "
How can atheists expect to be legitimized online if all they can do to respond to a simple statement is to post a video, leveling themselves with another religion?  Don't respond to my statement and expect me not to attempt to interpret your lame flamebait video and single cryptic sentence as a weak argument against my original statement.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@kmdrkul said:
" @teh_pwnzorer said:
" @kmdrkul said:
You're clever.  Now, interpret the previous statement as you wish. "
How can atheists expect to be legitimized online if all they can do to respond to a simple statement is to post a video, leveling themselves with another religion?  Don't respond to my statement and expect me not to attempt to interpret your lame flamebait video and single cryptic sentence as a weak argument against my original statement. "
Huh?
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#123  Edited By chstupid

I have a better question 
Why do you care?
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#124  Edited By breadfan
@AaronAlex said:
 I believe in a higher power, but i don't like being confined to one religion, or a set of ideals.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@bshirk:
Catholics and Christians are at their core fundamentally different. Catholics belief in salvation through works, Christians believe in salvation through faith. Catholics are also open to the worship and praying of human dieties, referrance the limitless amount of saints, Christians believe in praying to God and God alone. Catholics require sin atonement through confessions and in centuries prior paying for atonement, Christians believe once salvation is acheived [ through faith] all sins are atoned, the unforgiveable sin being the inability to come to salvation. The are a multitude more of things that separate them apart. Christians and Catholics are separate. The only correlation is they believe in the Godhead, beyond that, very little things they keep in common. Christians and Catholics and Judism are pretty much like that. 3 religion with a central understanding, but nothing alike in practice. What you might be confusing is one of the many denominations of Christianity that might share a similarity with Catholicism, such as Pentacostal.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#126  Edited By tebbit
@Br3adfan said:
" @AaronAlex said:
 I believe in a higher power, but i don't like being confined to one religion, or a set of ideals.
"
I'll take that thanks. FIVE PAGE DISCUSSION. F THAT!
Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Nonethewiser

Whether atheist or christian, our faults are all the same -- pride.
Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Gruff182

Because we get more than enough fiction from playing games.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By Cube

Because God doesn't exist.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#131  Edited By flaminghobo

I used to be a firm Atheist, I've now changed my ways to be an Agnostic.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#132  Edited By Bones8677
@FlamingHobo said:
" I used to be a firm Atheist, I've now changed my ways to be an Agnostic. "
Hmm, that's a refreshing change of pace. If you don't mind me asking, what was it that made you change your view? I'd like to know. : )
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#133  Edited By flaminghobo
@Bones8677 said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" I used to be a firm Atheist, I've now changed my ways to be an Agnostic. "
Hmm, that's a refreshing change of pace. If you don't mind me asking, what was it that made you change your view? I'd like to know. : ) "
Whilst I still firmy believe in Evolution, I decided that I should stop being so close-minded, and think there might be a possibility of a God. Though, The Bible, isn't enough evidence for me. So, I remain non-religious, but I've learnt to respect peoples religious views a lot more.
Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#134  Edited By Gregomasta
@LuffyUzumaki: Satan is the prince of this world.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#135  Edited By 71Ranchero

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Aeterna

I'd say it's because in the western civilizations the current and future generations are growing up without being forced into a religion by their parents. It's a good thing; it's Choice, what so many people don't get. 

Be glad they are; it means they're thinking about it on their own accord instead of a forced way of thinking. It's exactly what we want from our freedom.

Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Th3dz

life is to short to devote to religions...

Sliqcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Sliqcore

Atheist is a word created by religious people. Maybe we're just not fucking crazy and think for ourselves.

Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Amorfati

The US is overly religious in comparison to other western countries. There are Europeans on this site and the European population is far less religious.

The overt religiousity of the US is one of it's biggest downfalls in my opinion.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ninjakiller

It's very easy to be an atheist if you just think about things logically.  The bible/koran/torah were all written by people who had "visions" of god, today we'd treat those people with medications and treat them. 

Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Amorfati
@Nonethewiser said:
" Whether atheist or christian, our faults are all the same -- pride. "
Pride can be well deserved, someone who is too modest, humble and meek probably aren't the people who go out of their way to make themselves a Da Vinci, an Einistein or a Bach (even if Jesus existed I doubt he was as humble as the ideals he spoke, claiming to be the son of God is hardly the most modest one can be).

Taking pride in your accomplishments and your strengths is good for you, I think. It's the pride of the prideless, those with nothing to claim of their own and take pride in others ("i'm proud to be an American", "i'm proud to be a Yankees fan"), that are at fault.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#142  Edited By natetodamax

Because we're smart?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By HandsomeDead
@yakov456 said:
" Simple answer, because Giantbomb members are intelligent. "
Oh, you.
tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#144  Edited By tranquilchaos
@yakov456 said:
" Simple answer, because Giantbomb members are intelligent. "
This is what I was going to say... 
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#145  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Geno said:
" Giantbomb consists mainly of young people, tech lovers and university educated people. These are basically the least religious demographics you can think of. Also I imagine anyone with some experience with video games can see how easy it is to make something up that is believable, and see religion as simply another idea or concept that is open to critique rather than something dogmatic and sacred, as the vast majority of the mainstream population does.  "
Pretty much answers your question there.

Just look at the Children of Atom in Fallout 3. Pretty much makes a complete mockery of religion. As an Atheist... I look at that, and don't see any difference between that or any other real religion.
theMuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By theMuse

God doesn't like video games.

Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#147  Edited By Kill

Because it's cool to be misanthropic and practice Atheism for people aged 18-24. It's usually a source of laziness, like for people who want to seem opinionated in politics without any real views. It's easy to go against a God no one can prove. Way cooler to confront Christians in the street about the Flying Spaghetti Monster than to be humble and accept you don't know the answers, just like everyone else.

I'm not saying all Atheists are lazy, young students but the vast majority seem to be. I'm an Atheist but I regularly attempt to educate myself on other religions and do not come to the debating table with "THERE'S NO GOD SO ENJOY YOUR LIFE, HUR HUR" or "Christians aren't intelligent". It's obnoxious, I think. I've known Christians who are way more intelligent than most Atheists I've met. Keep an open mind and don't attack people for how they believe.

Scorpinox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Scorpinox

We look for proof,and God refuses to show himself to us...therefore we don't care if he exists or not cause we have no reason to believe or not believe it.And that's not atheist,it's lack of religion altogether.Yes,there is a difference.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Hamst3r said:
" @jakob187 said:
Oh you.  I'd argue with you, but I have to go make cookies for the atheist prayer group at the godless chapel tonight. After we pray to the invisible pink unicorn we're going to hand out pamphlets to people trick-or-treating. :)  FSM bless you,  Reverend Hamst3r "
Hey atleast we have the shortest text to read.
Page 1- "There is no god"  
The end
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Amorfati
@Kill said:
 It's obnoxious, I think. I've known Christians who are way more intelligent than most Atheists I've met. Keep an open mind and don't attack people for how they believe.
Yes, religiousity has nothing to do with intelligence. Many of man's geniuses have been religious.

People on Giant Bomb come from a generation where there is far less religion is their social conditioning than there used to be. The US is still be pretty bad though, Europe is far ahead.