This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I am very ticklish, but I can't tickle myself.
Why not?

#2 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it's one of the 3 laws of robotics.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

What kind of mad man would want to inflict that kind of torture on themselves? I hate the feeling of being tickled myself.

#4 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Because you touch yourself at night.

This is why you were warned.

#5 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Oh for fuck sake, reminded of tickling my ex.

and you can, just not to the same degree because you naturally stop yourself

#6 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

That is an excellent question. It's right up there with the big question of why coffee makes you shit bricks.

#7 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Try your nipples. Amateur.

#8 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Because you stop yourself. Same reason why you can't commit suicide by holding your breath.

#9 Posted by Petiew (1347 posts) -
@Seppli:   
#10 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -

I always find feet to be ticklish, I think I can tickle myself there.

#11 Posted by AFTERLIFEJOSH (23 posts) -

I am also very ticklish and can tickle myself in the sole of my feet, so it is possible.

#12 Posted by Mcfart (1624 posts) -

Tickling is a panic response. Therefore, you can't do it to yourself because your body will stop you. Plus, your expecting it, unlike being tickled by somebody else.

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
Hizang I would like you to meet my friend Google. 
#14 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

I can tickle myself if the mood takes me.

#15 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

There is actually only one part of your body you can tickle yourself and it's the roof of your mouth. Try it.

#16 Edited by mlarrabee (2949 posts) -

You can't tickle yourself because your brain anticipates the action, since it's your brain sending the command to your hand. Your brain essentially ignores the sensation as unnecessary.

At least, that's how I understand the scientific community's findings.

@Meltac said:

That is an excellent question. It's right up there with the big question of why coffee makes you shit bricks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diuretic

#17 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Ok I want you to punch yourself as hard as you can. How much did he really hurt?

#18 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

You can't tickle yourself because your brain anticipates the action, since it's your brain sending the command to your hand. Your brain essentially ignores the sensation as unnecessary.

At least, that's how I understand the scientific community's findings.

@Meltac said:

Yep, and yep. mlarrabee is right. I mean think about it. How annoying would it be if you were showering and the entire time you were accidentally tickling yourself?

Fun fact: If you fall asleep on your arm until you can't feel your hand, you can tickle yourself with that hand. It's really weird.

#19 Posted by EarthBowl (164 posts) -

@Hizang:Because the expectation of being tickled happens before the act. You need to be surprised in order to be tickled.

#20 Posted by Linkster7 (1025 posts) -

If I move my hand slowly up and down my arm barley touching it, it tickles for me. Or isn't that technically tickling?

#21 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

I had never even thought about this.

#22 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

There is actually only one part of your body you can tickle yourself and it's the roof of your mouth. Try it.

Wow!

#23 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1246 posts) -

Just run one finger down your foot, get's me every time.

#24 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4604 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

This is the only acceptable answer.

#25 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

#26 Posted by vikingdeath1 (968 posts) -

@Meltac said:

wait.... The COFFEE is what's doing that?? oh jeez....

#27 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Hizang, I don't think anyone will ever usurp your title of king of creating the strangest threads.

#28 Posted by BeachThunder (11925 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

:o Spoilers!!

#29 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3829 posts) -

Honestly, the same reason there's masturbation vs a handjob.

Something magical about it being someone else. Not knowing what's happening, it being out of your brain circuit.

#30 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

@Meltac said:

Coffee is a diuretic but that's why it makes you pee, not why it makes you poop. Diuretics don't make you poop.

The reason coffee makes you poop is because coffee is brown and poop is brown. Science.

#31 Posted by Brendan (7804 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

DAMN

#32 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

You can't.

Don't try.

#33 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1971 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@mlarrabee said:

@Meltac said:

Coffee is a diuretic but that's why it makes you pee, not why it makes you poop. Diuretics don't make you poop.

The reason coffee makes you poop is because coffee is brown and poop is brown. Science.

Thank you, although your explanation for the pooping is wanting. I'm not sure if the scientific community has solved this yet, and I'm too lazy to research if it has.

#34 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

@PHenry1991 said:

You can't.

Don't try.

Tickle the roof of your mouth.

#35 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

Was the roof of your mouth thing not common knowledge? Huh.

#36 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

#37 Posted by Sanj (2386 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I am very ticklish, but I can't tickle myself. Why not?

Holy shit.

#38 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton: ....Oh god you can. It also makes the roof of my mouth itch. This will amuse me for hours.

#39 Posted by cloudnineboya (815 posts) -

dont do it or you will awake the tickle monster.

#40 Posted by TheHBK (5482 posts) -

Because your mind cancels out the feeling since you are also feeling your self with your fingers. Same reason why someone running their hand through your hair or sticking their finger in your mouth feels different from what you do it.

Try sticking your thumb through your anus. I am sure that you will funny then.

#41 Posted by Strongbadman47 (154 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

Fun fact: If you fall asleep on your arm until you can't feel your hand, you can tickle yourself with that hand. It's really weird.

#42 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

I geniunely know the answer to this but "Because you're a cunt" will be the answer I give.

#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@WickedFather said:

I geniunely know the answer to this but "Because you're a cunt" will be the answer I give.

A recent study conducted in Stockholm actually arrived at a similar conclusion.

#44 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

God dammit Hizang, I see your crap threads everyday then you pull out a gem like this. I can't hate you even though I try.

#45 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

Your brain instinctively knows when it would happen so it shuts off the sensation. Also it would be pretty weird and funny if you start tickling yourself especially in public.

#46 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

DAMN

****** wanna stick me fo ma paper!

#47 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

Seriously man? It's hard enough ignoring all your other threads, but I do, because you have a right to this forum too. Creating a topic asking a question you can Google in 5 seconds is ridiculous, though. You're becoming a parody of yourself. Our threads are now clogged with not only your nonsense but people satirizing you. One was just locked with a mod saying this: "This is either a joke, an attempt at trolling, or a very poorly judged serious thread. Whatever it is, it's needlessly inflammatory, and not the kind of thing that should take up space on the forums when people are trying to start genuine discussions." At this point, I don't see how your threads like this don't also qualify. This is spam taking up space on the forums. Take it easy Hizang, your desperate need for attention is showing.

#48 Posted by wemibelec90 (1656 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

This made me laugh harder than it probably should have.

#49 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6186 posts) -

All right, I see absolutely no purpose in letting this thread continue to devolve even further. Locking this down.