Why Chris Broderick Is The Greatest Guitarist Alive

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

This is obviously a subjective thing, but Chris Broderick proves to be one of the best guitarist alive...and the fact that he's now in Megadeth makes me psyched more than ever for their new album.  However, let me present my case.

The dood can shred like crazy:

He can also play Mozart with ease:

But while his Mozart is good, his Legnani is amazing:

He rocks Megadeth pretty damn hard:

His string skipping technique is almost flawless:

And lastly...he rocks jazz like a muthafucker:

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

How quickly you can move your fingers has nothing to do with your skill as a guitarist.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Maybe he'll use that skill to play a good song at some point.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Pretty damn good. The classical guitar is what first grabbed me. I'd raise you one, but I think arguing Jimi Hendrix as the best guitarist ever is trie and overused.

However, Megadeath sucks.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Bulldog19892

It's impressive, but I've never really been into artists that are just amazing players. I've always preferred substance over skill. For example, I love this guy's style:

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Ah, what the hey. Let me show you the best guitarist!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
BiggerBomb said:
"How quickly you can move your fingers has nothing to do with your skill as a guitarist."
That's why I provided NUMEROUS examples, half of which don't involve speed, but technique instead.  = D

HandsomeDead said:
"Maybe he'll use that skill to play a good song at some point."
....like "Sugar, We're Goin' Down", right?  -_-

Arkthemaniac said:
"Ah, what the hey. Let me show you the best guitarist!"
Don't knock it, man.  That was the third song I ever learned on guitar.  People gotta start somewhere.  Hope the kid continues to play and get better.

Also, if you think that I only base my ideas of great guitarists on speed, then you've obviously never heard of my love for Tommy Emmanuel's music.  He is THE best acoustic guitarist to ever walk the face of this planet, and to say otherwise is blasphemy (and make sure you go past the 3 minute mark of the video...):

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gameboi

Impressive, but  I still think Steve Vai is the guy to beat.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kmdrkul
BiggerBomb said:
"

How quickly you can move your fingers has nothing to do with your skill as a guitarist.

"
That is one hundred percent completely wrong.  Being skilled requires technical capability; speed is paramount to achieve that.  Obviously that is far from being the only thing, but it is without a doubt a revered skill to have and, in this guys case, he is a damned good guitarist.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
jakob187 said:
Arkthemaniac said:
"Ah, what the hey. Let me show you the best guitarist!"
Don't knock it, man.  That was the third song I ever learned on guitar.  People gotta start somewhere.  Hope the kid continues to play and get better.
Yes, I know. There's no problem with not being good at some point. It's just filming yourself doing it that grinds me.
Yep, Tommy Emmanuel is pretty sweet. I'm more of a Segovia man, myself. BEHOLD!

Asdf

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Also,

jakob187
said:
HandsomeDead said:
....like "Sugar, We're Goin' Down", right?  -_-
PWNT!!!!! I don't know why, but pwnt nonetheless.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
jakob187 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
....like "Sugar, We're Goin' Down", right?  -_-"
Sure. Though, one thing that song really needed was an interlude of widdly-widdly fret wanking, so maybe he could join FOB for the ultimate mash-up.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187

Segovia is good as well, but my only problem with him is that he still lacks technique after all the years.  He writes amazingly atmospheric music...but if you ever really listen to his stuff, his fingerpicking always resides on a 3:1 pattern that is very typical.  Emmanuel has range and shows it very fluently.  He's also a bit of an egomaniac about the fact that he's amazing, but when Chet Atkins says you are one of the greatest guitarist on the planet, then you know you've got something going for you.  However, when you watch his percussion solos with the guitar...that's when you realize that no man should be THAT fucking talented.

However, Emmanuel is good on ACOUSTIC.  His electric work has a GREAT tone to it, but it's nothing nearly as stonkin' amazing as Broderick.  When you listen to the tone on those jazz slaps he does...man, that's where it's at.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Oh yeah?

OH YEAH!?!

Well, how about . . . SHAZZAM!

Yeah . . . recover from that pwnz/
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bulldog19892

Now THIS guy is my favorite guitarist ever.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gameboi
Arkthemaniac said:
"Oh yeah?
OH YEAH!?!

Well, how about . . . SHAZZAM!

Yeah . . . recover from that pwnz/
"
Wow! That guy is amazing. Was that a Candid Camera stint or something? No way he's just hanging out on the street with talent like that.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Gameboi said:
Wow! That guy is amazing. Was that a Candid Camera stint or something? No way he's just hanging out on the street with talent like that."
I have no idea, but the fact that he's playing on the street is depressing to me. 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187

Rad videos, Ark and Bulldog.  I was worried about the one you had posted, Bulldog, but it proved to be vastly worthwhile.

Ark, check out Jean Boudin with his 11-string bass:

Ark, I'm assuming you know who Victor Wooten is, correct?  While that dood you showed is good...Wooten decimates his face.  Here's a video of Wooten playing "Amazing Grace"...on a bass...with pinch harmonics...and adjusting his tuning keys:

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac

WOOTEN AINT SHIT!

Okay, lemme gather myself . . . sure, Wooten has technical talent, but I've actually slammed my heads into walls listening to his band work. He's definitely a better soloist than bandmate, because his band style is kinda stock funk. Of course, I've watched that video a hundred times because it's great, though. I just wish his other stuff had the same kind of inspiration as his solo stuff. 

Good bassist, but there's many I like more. Like this guy. The king of the instrument. He may not necessarily be able to "bass shred" like Wooten, but he's got the soul more than anyone else.

Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bonesofwar

Anyone who writes a song (albiet a terrible one) about how awesome they are, loses in my book.

Andrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Andrew

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Andrew said:
"

"
WRONG THREAD!!! WRONG THREAD!!!!!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187

Sir, Clapton is NEVER the wrong thread!!!  Clapton is a God on his instrument.  The only time I've ever seen anything better was B.B. King's infamous sustain.

Ark, that dood had quite a bit of soul to him.  Really dug what he was doing as well.

Also, I think it's sad that BlackWater had to make another topic to rival this proclaiming Hammett as being the best guitarist ever.  I think Hammett is an amazing guitarist as well.  If you look at his work from when he was in Exodus, he really showed a lot of great thrash skill, and he has continued that pedigree with Metallica.  My only problem with Hammett as a guitarist is not this so-called "rehashing" of solos.  It's actually a pretty minor thing, and that's the fact that he rarely is willing to show skill in other areas of the instrument.  That's not to say he's incapable of doing it.  It's just that he's always rock and thrash all the time.  I would love to see him SHOW his skills to people.  Broderick is willing to do that.

Also, I might point out that Broderick's body of work resides mostly in solo stuff, as well as Jag Panzer and Nevermore, another greatly accomplished metal band.

And with that being said, I present a video of a guitar God from my own neck of the woods that isn't the amazing Dimebag Darrell.  Meet Rusty Cooley, the legato master:

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Man, it must be cool to have talented musicians from your area or state or whatever. I have:

Formerly-awesome-now-washed-up-alternative-band Smashing Pumpkins, and . . .
These faggots. Sorry,
These faggots. Sorry, "men of questionable gender." That also suck hard. Fallout Boy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to hate Clapton. Mostly because of that awful Tears In Heaven song, but my buddy made me listen to some Cream and damn, the man can play guitar.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kmdrkul
Arkthemaniac said:
"Man, it must be cool to have talented musicians from your area or state or whatever. I have:

"
The bassist was so incredibly hot back then :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I need Blackwater`s opinion on Chris or this board = Fail.
On a serious note, I love Chris and he is an amazing guitarist, I can`t wait for Megadeth`s new album with him on lead.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187

Cream, Yardbirds, and Derek and the Dominoes were all amazing, and his solo stuff is just as good.  "Cocaine" is a song that I've wanted on one of the music/rhythm games for a while, but obviously it ain't gonna happen.  =  (

You know, I'm sick of people talking shit about Fall Out Boy as well.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Cork Tree album, from start to finish.  Infinity on High was alright, nothing amazing to me.  Folie a Deux is alright as well.  Maybe it's just that I'm not so narrow-minded that I'll exclude every artist because they appeal to a mass audience, but whatever.

And never...EVER...talk bad about the Pumpkins, mang.  While my disdain for Corgan is massive, the fact is that Siamese Dreams, Gish, Pisces Iscariot, Mellon Collie...dood, they've got some amazing work under their belts.  Then again, they might very well be a "you had to be there" type of ordeal...and I was there, so I get it.

However, neither of them feature AMAZING instrumentalists.

So back on topic, because I'm not trying to make a bashing thread here...but rather a way for us to talk about music and the artists that excel at their instruments beyond most human capability:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
You know, I'm sick of people talking shit about Fall Out Boy as well.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Cork Tree album, from start to finish.  Infinity on High was alright, nothing amazing to me.
Wow in a split second I just lost respect for you, sorry dude.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HandsomeDead
Bucketdeth said:
"jakob187 said:
You know, I'm sick of people talking shit about Fall Out Boy as well.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Cork Tree album, from start to finish.  Infinity on High was alright, nothing amazing to me.
Wow in a split second I just lost respect for you, sorry dude."
I'm sure he's crushed.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187
Bucketdeth said:
"jakob187 said:
Whatever.  I like Justin Timberlake too, and Dave Matthews Band, and My Chemical Romance.  I've got a million nails to drive in hearts, but I'm a child of music all around.  Trying to limit yourself to just saying "well, this is the only thing that is acceptable" is being narrow-minded and absurd.  Also going around and proclaiming that a band is shit because they don't play the most complex music in the world is stupid.  Even stupider than that is saying that something sucks because it is popular amongst a mass number of people.
Back on topic:

Bucketdeth said:
"I need Blackwater`s opinion on Chris or this board = Fail.
On a serious note, I love Chris and he is an amazing guitarist, I can`t wait for Megadeth`s new album with him on lead."
Neither can I.  Friedman's work in the band was phenomenal, but even then, there was something missing from it all.  I think Broderick will bring something out in Megadeth that has yet to be seen.  Last I heard (and haven't been able to report, as me and Belly are holding off on the podcast until the end of the year), they've got 8 and a half songs done on the album.  I'm super psyched to see what they've got going on.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By Snipzor

Would like to remind people that "TEH BEST GUITARIST EVAR" is purely subjective, it falls within ones own taste. You can give me all the Hendrix you can, in the end, he will not be the best in my opinion. Key word being "OPINION". But then again, I've never met one man or woman who disagrees when I say that Holdsworth is the best skillwise. But again, that is purely opinion.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I love the Pumpkins. I just hate where they are now, and how Corgan refuses to reinvent them in any reasonable way. The thing I like a lot about Rush is that they have constantly explored and reinvented their sound. My favorite Rush album is Vapor Trails by a decent margin, and that came out in 2003. Corgan has issues with the fact that a 40 year old man saying "I'm so alone" sounds creepy.

And Fallout Boy. It's, just, it's mindless to me. It may be that I despise their culture because my theory class is filled with dingbats that are part of that culture that don't care about theory, but rather like to think of themselves as real musicians because they know what a dominant 7th is.I haven't listened to everything they've put out because what I've heard has been grating. Their music doesn't seem to go anywhere for me. When I listen to stuff like Weather Report and the Who, ESPECIALLY the Who, with constantly ebbing dynamics and whatnot, I get a feeling of satisfaction. It's because music is all about buildup and release in my eyes. Fallout Boy doesn't have that, and I blame the drummer most, because drumming as a whole is ASS nowadays, but I can't keep from blaming the rest of the band as well. I've never heard anything new from them. Coupled with the fact that they aren't instrumentally spectacular, I just look at them as unworthwhile. That, and their fanbase is rabid. Not you, HandsomeDead. You're far from the worst.

Then agan, isn't every band's fanbase rabid on some level? I get pretty uppity when people diss my favorite bands. It's probably just Pete Wentz's hair that pisses me off. Anyways . . . I knowingly hate My Chemical Romance with all my heart, though, because their singer needs to PICK A VOWEL!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187

Well, I guess now would be the perfect time for me to include one of my favorite guitar videos in here:

PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By PartTimeNinja

Yeah Chris Broderick is pretty good but, in my opinion, I still think Paul Gilbert is better.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Someone's compensating.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
"Well, I guess now would be the perfect time for me to include one of my favorite guitar videos in here:

"
Your back in my books as a cool guy, I love michael angelo batio, even if alot of his solo are about speed, he has amazing accuracy and dexterity.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I like John McLaughlin a lot. He's bizarre. Also, Billy Cobham is a god of the drums.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187
Bucketdeth said:
"Your back in my books as a cool guy, I love michael angelo batio, even if alot of his solo are about speed, he has amazing accuracy and dexterity."
MAB is damn good.  It doesn't matter if most of his solos are about speed, because as this video plainly shows, the man has more skill in his pinkie nail than most human beings will EVER possess.
  • He can play different rhythms at the same time on each hand
  • He can hold that heavy ass guitar up in the air upside down and still play with deadly accuracy
  • He can fret-switch and position-switch without losing tempo or accuracy

That's three things alone that none of the other guitarists we have mentioned seem to possess.  The only downside, and MAB DOES have a downside, is that a lot of his work is based on technicality and lacks a certain feeling of soul that other guitarists have.  In terms of just pure skill, however...MAB is a fucking God beyond most.

Broderick, for me at least, brings together all the elements that I like to see in a guitarist - skill, knowledge, power, shred, soul, and accuracy - into one package.  That's why I consider him the best guitarist alive.
Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

im not gonna be doushie and be like NO WAYZOR1!! SLASH IS TEH POWNAGE!

that guy is really good. is he that guy who is the 2008 fastest guitar player? that video way crazy! the guy played 320 bpm!

my favorite guitar players are buckethead, paul gilbert and jimi hendrix! 
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Tordah

Not a fan of Megadeth but Broderick has played in Nevermore (one of my favourite bands) so he's pretty cool in my book. Rusty Cooley is awesome too and I his work in Outworld. It's not often that those uber virtuoso guitarists make good music but this is one of the rare exceptions to the rule.

I think arguements about how guitarist X is better than guitarist Y are completely pointless so instead I bring you some sweet guitar and bass videos.

Nevermore live: Chris Broderick and Jeff Loomis guitar solo duel

Jeff Loomis plays the "Born" solo

Andreas Blomqvist from Seventh Wonder playing some stuff off their newest album

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Emilio
Bucketdeth said:
"jakob187 said:
Same.

Also, I just can't do shredding like in those videos. It just doesn't impress me. Same goes with slap bass styles. It just isn't the kind of sound that makes me think "Hey! I wish I could play like that!!".