#1 Edited by DriveupLife (909 posts) -

Now that the new site is up and running, I just have one question.

Why do all of this in the first place? Did they have to get the old website off of whiskey media servers, requiring a full rebuild?

If Dave has actually said why the site was being rebuilt on a podcast someone post it, I'd love to know.

And Dave, if you're out there duder and you haven't told us, whats the reason? Love ya bro.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

They also had to convert from Python to PHP (I believe)

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

I think it was because the guys were tired of the old site and wanted a chance to improve on their design.

#5 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

@animasta said:

They also had to convert from Python to PHP (I believe)

This. CBS sites use PHP, which required a complete rebuild of the backend of the site and they might as well have rebuilt the entire site to allow for more responsive design then the previous site. Not an easy task for a site this size.

#6 Posted by pepperzz (160 posts) -

It's always a good idea to update both the front end and back end of a website every so often. Especially one as visited as this. You learn a lot after maintaining a website, and you notice things you can improve upon and clean up. I'm sure this was the case with the Giant Bomb development team.

Also I know personally that trying to work with code I came up with even just a year ago is torturous. I couldn't imagine how Dave and everyone felt about the old site's code lol.

#7 Edited by snide (2413 posts) -

@driveuplife: Whiskey Media was sold to two separate companies. CBS bought Comic Vine and Giant Bomb and hired it's editors along with Alexis and I (the two designers). However, they did not sell the technology the site was built on. That was sold to Berman Braun, who hired all of Whiskey Media's engineering staff. That team has been building other sites, along with supporting Tested.com. Meanwhile Giant Bomb's been operating on a lease of the old code to keep the live site up. So we had to scramble to rebuild it.

That's the reason. On the positive, most of the technology powering Gamespot was getting a little stale, so CBSi needed a refresh of that codebase anyway. A lot of what you see in Giant Bomb will likely make it's way over there (and little parts into gamefaqs), but will likely look much different than the site you're looking at now.

The stability issues you've seen in our launch are mostly due to the sheer size of Giant Bomb's featureset (and hence, this new codebase). Unlike most sites that are a blog, some comments and a video player and maybe some hosted forums, GB has a membership system, wikis, a full product database to manage along with profiles, user uploading and all that fun stuff.

The engineering team here has shouldered though it really well and while I know some people miss the achievements and quests, have accomplished a pretty crazy amount of work in a single year.

#8 Posted by Kscorps (55 posts) -

Awesome job, it looks so sleek and modern! One question, though, the site seems to be loading slower than the old one did for me. Is this because of lots of new traffic to the site, or what?

#9 Posted by NoRemnants (378 posts) -

@kscorps: Yes. It should speed up greatly once they fine tune their load balancers.

#10 Posted by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

@snide said:

@driveuplife: Whiskey Media was sold to two separate companies. CBS bought Comic Vine and Giant Bomb and hired it's editors along with Alexis and I (the two designers). However, they did not sell the technology the site was built on. That was sold to Berman Braun, who hired all of Whiskey Media's engineering staff. That team has been building other sites, along with supporting Tested.com. Meanwhile Giant Bomb's been operating on a lease of the old code to keep the live site up. So we had to scramble to rebuild it.

That's the reason. On the positive, most of the technology powering Gamespot was getting a little stale, so CBSi needed a refresh of that codebase anyway. A lot of what you see in Giant Bomb will likely make it's way over there (and little parts into gamefaqs), but will likely look much different than the site you're looking at now.

The stability issues you've seen in our launch are mostly due to the sheer size of Giant Bomb's featureset (and hence, this new codebase). Unlike most sites that are a blog, some comments and a video player and maybe some hosted forums, GB has a membership system, wikis, a full product database to manage along with profiles, user uploading and all that fun stuff.

The engineering team here has shouldered though it really well and while I know some people miss the achievements and quests, have accomplished a pretty crazy amount of work in a single year.

Wait, so you guys rebuilt the codebase for Gamespot as well, or they're just taking relevant chunks?

#11 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@grimluck343: They'll take relevant chunks, including the CMS system the editors use.

#12 Posted by Foggen (836 posts) -

@snide said:

The site looks great. Do you think achievements are coming back?

#13 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

What are you saying, Giant Bomb? Do you think you're better than Comic Vine? HUH?

#14 Posted by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

@snide said:

@grimluck343: They'll take relevant chunks, including the CMS system the editors use.

Ah, it makes sense they would take the backend stuff. Are you guys doing continual support for Gamespot as well or was this just a one time thing with the rebuild? Would hate to see Gamespot get in the way of the glorious return of Random PC Game!

#15 Edited by laserbolts (5313 posts) -

CBS

#16 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

@snide: Don't forget to sleep! And eat! :D

I like the new digs here a lot. Everything seems to work nicely when the server cooperates. Kudos to you and Alexis and the rest.

#17 Edited by Red12b (9079 posts) -

@snide said:

We appreciate all the work you guys have done,

Much love Snide