Why do people care so much about politics?

BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BODDAH

I don't get it. You have abortion doctors being shot, ACORN trying to steal elections, MSNBC dedicated to slander, Hannity dedicated to delegitimizing Obama ... why?

All because we believe in varying forms of democracy (in the US, that is)?
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

It's kind of like reality TV, it's kind of a drama, and it kind of makes people feel smart when they debate it.

Contrary to popular belief, I hate politics, but I love political philosophy and economics (I'm working on my BA in philosophy and have my BA in economics). Consequently, I find myself arguing politics a lot. But also people should care about politics because it is something that effects your life significantly. When kiddies grow up and find out that $10/hour turns into $7/hour after taxes, they start caring.

And I don't think it's fair to say we all believe in democracy of some sort. I sure as hell don't.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Gunner

because if no one did care, such events would be out of control.  in fact, it might be because not enough people care enough that politicians can pull those things off to begin with.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Suicrat
@lilburtonboy7489:
God dammit, Burt! We have so much in common yet we can't get along on anything! (Or so it would seem) I for one will not accept this current state of affairs! Let us unite against the ever-encroaching statism that blots out the saccharine daylight we call LIBERTY!

(Or at least add me to your friends list)
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Snipzor
@lilburtonboy7489 said:
" It's kind of like reality TV, it's kind of a drama, and it kind of makes people feel smart when they debate it.

Contrary to popular belief, I hate politics, but I love political philosophy and economics (I'm working on my BA in philosophy and have my BA in economics). Consequently, I find myself arguing politics a lot. But also people should care about politics because it is something that effects your life significantly. When kiddies grow up and find out that $10/hour turns into $7/hour after taxes, they start caring. And I don't think it's fair to say we all believe in democracy of some sort. I sure as hell don't. "
Or like a car accident, in which some of us must all stare at it but not do anything. Questioning our sense of humanity at every step. It reaffirms the sensation of life when we become passionate about our beliefs.

I enjoy social politics, the discourse that takes place is intriguing, and I find myself constantly enlightened with every word spoken. Gaining knowledge, some bad, but some good. I like to know how people tick, and their words actually form a pattern that can be recognized over a short period of time.

I think therefore I am. We certainly do not debate our own existence when discussing politics. So I suppose there are various reasons why we love it so much. Even though politics is a meaningless word in which it can encompass many different styles of discourse between different people.
Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Spiral_Stars

One day, you're going to be embarassed you asked this. Just as embarassed as I am that i can't properly spell embarassed.

At the very least, if people didn't have the power of the vote, or were completely ignorant of what the prospective governments were planning on implementing or doing, then the people in power would have no reason to try to help the general populace at all since they would not be worried about being taken out of office.

But I get what you're saying. Politics is sort of boring. But there is a reason to be at least slightly interested in it.

lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@Suicrat said:
" @lilburtonboy7489: God dammit, Burt! We have so much in common yet we can't get along on anything! (Or so it would seem) I for one will not accept this current state of affairs! Let us unite against the ever-encroaching statism that blots out the saccharine daylight we call LIBERTY!(Or at least add me to your friends list) "
Fine. Deal.

Let's just not talk about Ayn Rand or abortion and we should be fine.

*added*
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@Snipzor said:
"
@lilburtonboy7489 said:
" It's kind of like reality TV, it's kind of a drama, and it kind of makes people feel smart when they debate it.

Contrary to popular belief, I hate politics, but I love political philosophy and economics (I'm working on my BA in philosophy and have my BA in economics). Consequently, I find myself arguing politics a lot. But also people should care about politics because it is something that effects your life significantly. When kiddies grow up and find out that $10/hour turns into $7/hour after taxes, they start caring. And I don't think it's fair to say we all believe in democracy of some sort. I sure as hell don't. "
Or like a car accident, in which some of us must all stare at it but not do anything. Questioning our sense of humanity at every step. It reaffirms the sensation of life when we become passionate about our beliefs.I enjoy social politics, the discourse that takes place is intriguing, and I find myself constantly enlightened with every word spoken. Gaining knowledge, some bad, but some good. I like to know how people tick, and their words actually form a pattern that can be recognized over a short period of time.I think therefore I am. We certainly do not debate our own existence when discussing politics. So I suppose there are various reasons why we love it so much. Even though politics is a meaningless word in which it can encompass many different styles of discourse between different people. "
You're such a hippy. Go back to the 80's (my history professor told me the hippy movement started in the 70's, so i figure i can attribute the hippy era to any decade i want if a college professor can) and live in Berkley.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Well it depends the voting polls show that pretty much 80% of americans dont give a damn about politics....and half of what you quoted as being people caring about politics are nut jobs with nothing better to do.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By maxszy
@Snipzor said:
"
@lilburtonboy7489 said:

Or like a car accident, in which some of us must all stare at it but not do anything. Questioning our sense of humanity at every step. It reaffirms the sensation of life when we become passionate about our beliefs.I enjoy social politics, the discourse that takes place is intriguing, and I find myself constantly enlightened with every word spoken. Gaining knowledge, some bad, but some good. I like to know how people tick, and their words actually form a pattern that can be recognized over a short period of time.I think therefore I am. We certainly do not debate our own existence when discussing politics. So I suppose there are various reasons why we love it so much. Even though politics is a meaningless word in which it can encompass many different styles of discourse between different people. "
Good post. I very much agree and feel the same.

Politics can make someone feel involved in a bigger thing. Something bigger than them. That maybe they are contributing to the whole. There's good that comes out of it as well as a whole lot of bad. But being interested in politics and the running of one's government, is a good thing. If no one was interested... I wouldn't even want to think what would happen.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Optiow

I find that politics can be interesting and it can help you in later life.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ
@Gunner said:
" because if no one did care, such events would be out of control.  in fact, it might be because not enough people care enough that politicians can pull those things off to begin with. "
Exactly
BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BODDAH
@Spiral_Stars said:
" One day, you're going to be embarassed you asked this.
Probably not. I'm a political science major.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Because politics affects everyone’s life directly or indirectly .

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cspiffo
@BODDAH:
People care about Politics because it directly affects our lives.  If noone cared then we'd just have a dictator in office who could decide to do what he wanted to us when he wanted to on a whim.  Everyone should care about their political system.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Because it affects every single aspect of our lives. Asking why people care so much about politics is like asking why people care so much about life.