• 62 results
#1 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

Is this some silly internet thing or what, because I honestly don't understand hating a font.

#2 Edited by RobotSquad (213 posts) -

Designers hate it because it's childish and unprofessional looking. Everybody else hates it because it's fun to be a part of a group.

#3 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Designers hate it because it's childish and unprofessional looking. Everybody else hates it because it's fun to be a part of a group.

Spot on

#4 Edited by KosmoK (63 posts) -

I think it's because EVERY idiot used in the late, late '90s and early 2000s for their websites because it was "sooo funny".

Edit:

By the way: I hate it too. It just looks cheap.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Because it's not as good as Kristen ITC.

#6 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

It's lazy, overused and reeks of unprofessionalism as it doesn't look like you know what you're doing because any tom, dick and harry can use it. Same goes with Papyrus.

#7 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Look at this and tell me it doesn't look like shit. It's a major scientific breakthrough ruined because it looks like it was made by an 8th grader.
#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

I read something about this once. I believe there was a time where font options were much more limited, and comic sans was one of them, and it stood out so lots of people used it. And I guess it's not cool to use fonts unless they're super obscure.

#9 Posted by OurSin_360 (886 posts) -

because

#10 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

It looks really unprofessional. I don't have the burning hatred for it that some people do but I don't think it looks good.

#11 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

According to its designer, Comic Sans was "designed for screen use (that is why there wasn’t any kerning) in applications targeted to new computer users and families with children".

Basically, it was made for children, attempting to seem friendly and familiar by emulating the look of hand-lettered comic book speech bubbles. The reason some people (especially those of us with design degrees) dislike it is because it is used in inappropriate contexts all the time. For example, Comic Sans wasn't the most appropriate choice for the CERN presentation announcing the Higgs Boson. It doesn't say "we are serious scientists," it says, "we are children."

Do I hate Comic Sans? No. Do I think it's a good font? No. Even on the rare occasion when I need a font that looks hand lettered, it's usually just best to go ahead and letter by hand. When time constraints make that impossible, there are many better "comic" style fonts out there than Comic Sans. It's just sort of ugly. The kerning is awful. Also, it's impossible to look at it in a vacuum at this point. It's basically become a joke in design world (and as OP point out, almost a meme of sorts), so most designers are never going to use it.

"Hating" it is silly though. It's just a bad typeface, it's not ruining anyone's life.

#12 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

Doesnt matter if you work in prepress or web design, you better not use comic sans or any other shitty font because then you might as well start looking for another job.

So no, its not a "silly internet thing".

#13 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

It looks like it came out of a coloring book, which according to @kerned is what the designer wanted.

#14 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Most folks have traumatic childhood experiences using Microsoft's Comic Chat.

#15 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
#16 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

It's not a very nice typeface, but I think most people don't really hate the face itself as much as the ways it's been misused for years. It's one of those fonts you don't really think of using when designing, but really it was pretty well made for the time period it was created in and the use it was meant for.

#17 Posted by NoelVeiga (1099 posts) -

Weirdly enough these things spill over to the intended purpose of the font. Comic book letterers hate Comic Sans, and screenwriters often find alternatives to Courier New. I guess there's an element of having done the legwork to it there.

But seriously, where would Comic Sans fit outside of a comic book. I mean, it's not like you're going to type a letter on it or anything...

#18 Edited by xyzygy (9994 posts) -

I used it a lot for school projects when I was younger so it just reminds me of those. Funny story though, the Euro sign used to have an eye in it. haha

#19 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@kosmok said:

I think it's because EVERY idiot used in the late, late '90s and early 2000s for their websites because it was "sooo funny".

This.

Comic Sans and Papyrus were a blight which plagued the internet in the late 90's. In addition, because of the popularity of the internet came the inflation of the PC userbase and these two pack-in fonts made their way onto every hack-job pamphlet, flyer, notice, poster and powerpoint slide spewed out of a Windows PC during the same time period. Then came the ironic "appreciation" of those fonts. The ubiquity (and general ugliness) of Comic Sans, Papyrus & Co prompted a backlash that will last a thousand years - and rightfully so.

#20 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@noelveiga said:

Weirdly enough these things spill over to the intended purpose of the font. Comic book letterers hate Comic Sans, and screenwriters often find alternatives to Courier New. I guess there's an element of having done the legwork to it there.

But seriously, where would Comic Sans fit outside of a comic book. I mean, it's not like you're going to type a letter on it or anything...

Of course you wouldn't! don't start sounding like you're insane. Especially if it was some important letter to like the President of the US or the Queen of England.

Everyone knows you use Wingdings for letters :P

#21 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

@animasta:

It immediately makes me think of children and so I get irritated right away.

#22 Edited by Demmetje (201 posts) -

This video gives a great explanation:

#23 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@robotsquad said:

Spot on

I assume neither of you went to middle school when comic sans was already a thing?

#24 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@snail said:

@zeforgotten said:

@robotsquad said:

Spot on

I assume neither of you went to middle school when comic sans was already a thing?

Depends on when it became a thing.
Doesn't change the fact(has nothing to do with, really) that designers hate it or that there are people who just hates it because there's nothing else to hate this week.

#25 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@robotsquad said:

Spot on

And the fact that it was massively overused. My typography teacher would almost throw up every time someone tried to use Comic Sans in their designs.

#26 Posted by Zeik (2440 posts) -

I've always liked it actually, but only if used in the right context. It's definitely not an all-purpose font.

#27 Edited by Jimbo (9813 posts) -

It's just misunderstood.

#28 Posted by MHumphreys89 (714 posts) -

I think the word being thrown-around in this thread is accurate, unprofessional. Also, I just do not like its look.

#29 Posted by Bones8677 (3243 posts) -

You want to talk about a font that's overused, Helvetica is king of that hill. Optima, Univers, Futura, and Franklin Gothic are where it's at!

#30 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

White people problems.

#31 Edited by fisk0 (4117 posts) -

@demmetje said:

This video gives a great explanation:

That was a great video, not entirely sure about the uncanny valley thing (I think the kerning, and the weight/boldness of the letters may be the biggest issue), but the example where he showed it off with aliasing was great. In 1994 when the font was created, 640x480 wasn't uncommon as a desktop resolution, and in order to actually fit a lot of text on the screen, having the text be 7 or 8 pixels high was pretty common. As anti-aliasing for fonts, at least on Windows machines, was unheard of at the time, Comic Sans (as well as other sans serif fonts) was easily readable on the screen, whereas serif fonts get pretty busy in so low resolutions.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@levio said:

White people problems.

What would black people problems be?

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

I don't get it really. If you think a font makes something look less professional then you've got issues.

#34 Posted by TruthTellah (9101 posts) -
#35 Posted by mlarrabee (2962 posts) -

For me, overuse has nothing to do with it. I love Helvetica.

Handwritten fonts in general are ugly. Commendable handwriting looks nothing like handwritten fonts.

Use Nitti Basic Light.

#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11741 posts) -
#37 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

I don't get it really. If you think a font makes something look less professional then you've got issues.

Do you send letters to people written in crayon then?

#38 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Look at this and tell me it doesn't look like shit. It's a major scientific breakthrough ruined because it looks like it was made by an 8th grader.

The problem with that graphic is not the font, in fact the font would look great if it were design drawings for a level layout for a new video game. The problem is that it uses no less then 6 colors. That are not part of the pictures. The text is all in different sizes. Not aligned. And the pictures are all randomly sized, and placed on the page.

Again the font is possibly the best part about that thing.

#39 Posted by golguin (3929 posts) -
#40 Edited by handlas (2682 posts) -

I'm a graphic designer. You would be laughed at (maybe even talked to by a superior) if you were to use it. I'm sure. I would never use it simply because of those reasons.

It's not a pretty font. If that is the style you are going for then there are much better looking fonts that are similar to it.

A font called Gotham has kind of gotten the same treatment because it has been overused. Sucks, because I like that font.

#41 Posted by medacris (660 posts) -

I have a degree in graphic arts, and I never got the hate for it either. Any font used in the wrong circumstance, or too much/too little leading and kerning is definitely a pain, though.

#42 Posted by Elwoodan (831 posts) -

because it's not chiller?

#43 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3394 posts) -

I guess to sum it up, comic sans is the font version of Adam Sandler.

#44 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I like comic sans. D':

#45 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I used it all the time when I was little. I'm not a big fan of it now, but the hate against it in this thread and on the internet are just people who think its fun to hate things and Comic Sans is an easy target. There's no legitimate reason to hate a font.

(Well, besides those cursive fonts that get squished together so much that you can't read them.)

#46 Posted by Excast (935 posts) -

I believe this is what is commonly referred to as a "1st world problem".

#47 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

#48 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Comic sans was designed as an aliased font to be shipped with Windows 95, because at the time, Windows didn't support anti-aliased fonts.

Unfortunately, it did shortly afterwards and evidently the font didn't translate well. All we think of now are the oversized apertures, undersized eyes, the bad kerning and just terrible weighting altogether.

Or at least I do. If you don't think it looks bad, you have broken eyes.

#49 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

I can almost understand the hate for Comic Sans, but I don't see what's wrong with Papyrus.

#50 Edited by CaptainSandwich (75 posts) -

I almost forgot that Comic Sans WASN'T Action Man or from the Komika family of fonts... shit. I Used to make some little personal comics back in the mid/late 90s. Yeah, remember being like "there's gotta be something better than THIS.

But with Papyrus, I don't particularly hate it, but the problem with it is that it's pretty much designed to look "exotic."

Like, "built from the ground up to evoke primal understanding of the rough elegance of some non-white savage peoples' lands and artistry." I like the font itself, but it should probably not be used in your design work any more than once a year (or two years), and/or specifically for a single-word header or title when pertaining to an Egyptian travel brochure. It is not to be used in a sentence. James Cameron fucked that last bit up, thus failing in all other categories of papyrus use.