Why do people watch soccer?

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for living_monstrosity
Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Soccer is just the most slow and boring sport there is. Tennis is even more exciting. With soccer or "football" as you like to call it, you're watching people run around on an enormous field of plain grass for hours just passing the ball to each other with these sissy kicks, and finally after maybe an hour you might get lucky and watch a goal being scored. The announcers even have to mask how boring the sport is by shouting "GOOOOAAAAALLLLLL!" and holding the word for a whole minute to try and make it like some exciting thing since absolutely nothing else ever happens in a game of soccer, except for maybe the occasional instance where a soccer player starts crying because he got kicked in the shin.

Also, you have those penalty kicks that are just unfair because you can determine who wins by a random kick that has no relevance to the rest of the game. Talk about cheap. It's also the only sport there is where you can turn on the TV and not have any clue which direction the teams are supposed to go in.

And also - tie games. Who wants to watch a sport where there is no winner? Not real competitors, that's for sure.

To those who actually like to watch soccer, can you explain why your sport isn't awful? Why can't the rest of Europe get with the program and pick up American football?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By intro

I don't think people do watch soccer.

Although it does require skill.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By djstyles92

That's like, your opinion man.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By morningstar

Its the beautiful game.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Gizmo

What the Hell? Why does it anger you that people get enjoyment out of football? This shit should just get locked.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sanryd

This can only end well.

And besides, baseball is probably the most boring thing I've ever watched. Much more-so than soccer.

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By solidwolf52

Why do you play videogames? Just because something isn't relevant to your interests doesn't mean its boring to everyone.

Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gizmo said:

What the Hell? Why does it anger you that people get enjoyment out of football? This shit should just get locked.

Who says I'm angry? I'm just confused. I played soccer as a kid but then I grew up and moved on to real sports.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I don't like watching any sport really. I'd rather it over American football. Although that may be because I don't know the rules of the latter.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By FLStyle

@Living_Monstrosity: Your opinions on the sport aside, your tone and attitude isn't in line with Giant Bomb's golden rule: don't be a jerk. Please try to incite discussion and not flame wars in the future, thanks!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Djstyles92 said:

That's like, your opinion man.

You one upped me with your mini bio.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By artgarcrunkle

MORE LIKE HANDEGG AMI-oh this is a different thread.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShadowConqueror

All sports can be pretty boring.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deathstriker666

You love to start shit don't you?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Daveyo520

Exactly

Avatar image for captaincharisma
CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaptainCharisma

I watch professional wrestling on a weekly basis so I can't complain about what other people like. Also, I think soccer is incredibly boring but we all like different things.

Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker666 said:

You love to start shit don't you?

No?

@FLStyle said:

@Living_Monstrosity: Your opinions on the sport aside, your tone and attitude isn't in line with Giant Bomb's golden rule: don't be a jerk. Please try to incite discussion and not flame wars in the future, thanks!

But I thought I was inciting discussion? I'm asking fans of soccer what they see in the sport. It's certainly unpopular in America compared to other sports, but outside the US and in Europe especially people seem to go crazy over it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Sackmanjones
customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By customotto

be a little less obvious on your next troll job and you'll do well

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Animasta

because we enjoy eating dogs

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

@Living_Monstrosity

I've got a better question: Why the fuck do you care? I'm American and give a shit about neither, but I understand that other people love both sports and am not a dick to them.

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

There's a reason it's the biggest sport in the world (not just Europe), but I won't go into it since you seem pretty set in your ways and most of what you say is inaccurate to the point where educating you would ultimately be futile.

I'm an Englishmen who watches and enjoys American sports but nothing beats football (soccer).

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By BlackLagoon

Never felt much need to watch any sports at all, it's all pretty boring to me. I will give soccer one point though - at least they spend most of the mach actually playing the game, wheres American football seems to be more about taking breaks and lining up in formations. :P

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 49th  Online

If you wanted to troll Europeans you should have posted this a few hours earlier. It's late now.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Panpipe

Troll thread yaaaaaaay.

I'll type anyway because I feel like it. Any person with a shred of intelligence or empathy or anything would realise that perhaps you can't learn everything about a sport after watching it for 1 hour. Any person that watches "soccer" knows which way a team is shooting. There are these things called formations - also, the players usually face the oppositions goal, it takes less than 5 seconds to see which sides the teams are on.

If you watched Cricket, Rugby, Hockey or almost any team sport on a large field you would initially be bored. Only when you can gauge skill can you actually find a sport interesting.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clonedzero

personally i find watching almost any sport to be mindnumbingly boring. baseball, football, soccer, basketball, ect. especially football. god is that boring. omg a play! it lasts 10 seconds! omg! now listen to the announcers talk about every stupid minor detail that you JUST SAW. while the players reset. its so damn boring.

most of the time its 20 seconds of stuff happening, then old commentators talking for 10 minutes. the ONLY time its "entertaining" is when you're watching with a bunch of people who are really into it, and thats only due to the social aspect of feeding off their enthusiasm.

ive been to a couple live games (even been to a soccer game) and thats fun, but again, not due to the actual sport.

but thats my opinion, i dont knock anyone who enjoys watching sports. good for them. my ex used to watch every yankees game and i'd end up watching them with her, at first i hated it cus well it was boring, but once i got into it, it turned into alot of fun. i'd always cheer for the other team just out of spite and it turned into alot of fun trash talking. it was a blast.

so instead of judging people because they like something you don't why not either try and see why they like it from their perspective, or just let them enjoy it without making them feel bad or stupid for liking it. no need to be a jerk about it.

Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@Living_Monstrosity

I've got a better question: Why the fuck do you care? I'm American and give a shit about neither, but I understand that other people love both sports and am not a dick to them.

Curiosity.

@ElectricBoogaloo said:

There's a reason it's the biggest sport in the world (not just Europe), but I won't go into it since you seem pretty set in your ways and most of what you say is inaccurate to the point where educating you would ultimately be futile.

I'm an Englishmen who watches and enjoys American sports but nothing beats football (soccer).

Well the only reason I can think of is that soccer requires so little equipment that anyone can play it. And it's also not at all a complex game, making it accessible to more people. So I understand from a practical standpoint why people would play it in their free time, I just don't understand how loads of people can get enjoyment out of watching the sport on TV or going to a stadium to watch a match since there's so little that goes on outside of running.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Football is the most watched sport in the world. Not one sport gets as much attention on the world stage as football does. It's a beautiful game to watch, and requires a hell of a lot of skill to play at the top levels. You are entitled to your opinion, but your post just makes you sound like a complete dick.

I find a lot of American sports dull, but I wouldn't ever get offended or patronize people over their love of the sport. We all like different things, that's what's great about the world.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cloudenvy

Ugh, I already don't like you.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By benpicko

Most boring sport my arse.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aronman789

I find all sports besides gladiatorial arena fights to be dull as fuck. Where's the excitement? How am I supposed to care about a team's loss or win if their lives aren't at stake?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Living_Monstrosity: Thanks for letting everyone know you're a giant douche. I'll remember to pass off your future posts as incoherent rambling.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Animasta

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Living_Monstrosity: Thanks for letting everyone know you're a giant douche. I'll remember to pass off your future posts as incoherent rambling.

dude go check his earlier thread where he gets mad at 6 year old obama for eating dog meat :|

Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RollingZeppelin said:

I don't see not how disliking a sport is being a douche. But name calling, however...

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Living_Monstrosity said:

Soccer is just the most slow and boring sport there is. Tennis is even more exciting. With soccer or "football" as you like to call it, you're watching people run around on an enormous field of plain grass for hours just passing the ball to each other with these sissy kicks, and finally after maybe an hour you might get lucky and watch a goal being scored. The announcers even have to mask how boring the sport is by shouting "GOOOOAAAAALLLLLL!" and holding the word for a whole minute to try and make it like some exciting thing since absolutely nothing else ever happens in a game of soccer, except for maybe the occasional instance where a soccer player starts crying because he got kicked in the shin.

Also, you have those penalty kicks that are just unfair because you can determine who wins by a random kick that has no relevance to the rest of the game. Talk about cheap. It's also the only sport there is where you can turn on the TV and not have any clue which direction the teams are supposed to go in.

And also - tie games. Who wants to watch a sport where there is no winner? Not real competitors, that's for sure.

To those who actually like to watch soccer, can you explain why your sport isn't awful? Why can't the rest of Europe get with the program and pick up American football? You know, it's that one sport that actually requires skill and is exciting to watch.

1. They play for 2 × 45 minutes. Not for hours.

2. The fuck are you talking about? They are not crying, they are in pain because, you know, kicked in the chin with massive force.

3. You know what's unfair? The thing that caused the penalty in the first place.

4. You know what extra time is?

5. Oh yeah, football not require any skill. I bet you could play it... or maybe you can't and that's why you moved on to another sport.

You don't even know what are you talking about. I just leave this here.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By FancySoapsMan

why does anyone like anything 

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

@Living_Monstrosity: You're essentially stripping away everything about football and boiling it down to the basics, like saying baseball is nothing but throwing. Sure, running is one aspect, but it's an aspect of most sports; you still need the technical ability to actually play, particularly to a high-level which is what most people will watch on TV. And if you go in-depth, particularly when looking at tactics, there's a ton of complexity for the more "hardcore" fans to get some extra enjoyment from. It's why websites like this exist, and there a few better sites than seeing a superb, flowing move full of pinpoint passing and fantastic individual skill, even if it doesn't always result in a goal (and all the better if it does). It's a large part of most countries cultures, spanning hundreds of years of history, rivalries and memorable moments. It can unite entire nations with the passion they share for a national team: the World Cup being the biggest spectacle in sport aside from the Olympics. I love sport and football is the pinnacle.

Again, I'm not sure why I'm writing this down since you're not going to change your opinion, but I at least hope you won't be as ignorant about the sport.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Animasta said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

dude go check his earlier thread where he gets mad at 6 year old obama for eating dog meat :|

Seriously? We got a real winner here guys.

@RollingZeppelin said:

I don't see not how disliking a sport is being a douche. But name calling, however...

It's not the fact that you don't like soccer that makes you a douche. I don't like American football, baseball or basketball, but I don't go around belittling the sports and everyone that likes them. That's because I realize that it takes great skill to play any sport professionally and my maturity exceeds that of a 10 year old.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Zorn_a_Rust_Red_Scythe said:

I agree OP. Soccer is pretty joyful.

You are absolutely right.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By alternate

blatant troll.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By Lobster_Ear

I'll settle this for all of you. All sports are fucking boring to watch and you're all idiots for watching them. FUCK YOU. Every time I see a person watching sports or talking about them I immediately realize they are a lesser person than I.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Animasta said:

I especially enjoy watching a good game of soccer while eating a nice big plate of dog.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dany

I love watching soccer when I can, its just amazing at the ballet of balls being kicked by sweaty dudes. And it goes on for an hour and half!

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44  Edited By GS_Dan

@Zorn_a_Rust_Red_Scythe: More interesting than the unfunny video was the fact that Google decided that a MoH: Warfighter advert would be suitable to lay over it...

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an American I take the chance to watch Soccer/Football whenever there's a game on ESPN 2 (Premiere league or something?). I really got into it a few years ago, but not to the point where I know all the rules. The best part of Soccer/Football, for me, are the crowds. That and when they get close to scoring a goal.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Soccer Baseball is just the most slow and boring sport there is.

Fixed it for ya. Seriously though, you wanna know why it doesn't suck?

That's why.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NegativeCero
@Animasta

/thread.

Come on, dude you're clearly trolling.
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Living_Monstrosity

To those who actually like to watch soccer, can you explain why your sport isn't awful? Why can't the rest of Europe get with the program and pick up American football? You know, it's that one sport that actually requires skill and is exciting to watch.

I find soccer boring to watch, but to call it slow and boring while lauding gridiron as the opposite is absurd.

American football is the slowest, most stop-start football game on Earth.

I'll stick with my Rugby League and Rugby Union thanks; hell, I'll take goddamn terrible Aussie Rules over American Football.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By captain_clayman

not even close to as boring as golf.

i think most to least exciting to watch is something like: hockey (only for the fights), basketball, soccer, football, tennis, golf, bowling

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By soldierg654342

@alternate said:

blatant troll.