• 81 results
#1 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

seriously! Like heresy an example that was just posted on RPS:

mamiebrown37 : “Benjamin responded I'm stunned that some one able to earn $9055 in 1 month on the internet. did you read this page...

Like that's not THAT bad but there are plenty of others that are way worse (some in this very forum, like the ones that advertise such great movies as twilight). Does incorrect grammar make someone more likely to click on that link? I seriously can't figure out a good reason why they can't take the time to actually write proper english instead of this crap.

#2 Edited by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

I have no idea. Maybe English isn't there first language? Like gold farmers in wow were the same way and I believe alot of them were Chinese.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

They're all just copy pasted messages though, it can't be THAT hard to find someone who can speak english and get them to write a template, replacing it with specifics as needed.

#4 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

@Animasta said:

They're all just copy pasted messages though, it can't be THAT hard to find someone who can speak english and get them to write a template, replacing it with specifics as needed.

If they cared about quality in advertising, they wouldn't be using spambots.

#5 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I can't wait for the day when we have grammatically correct spambots. That'll be fun.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I've read that it's supposed to get past spam filters or whatever.

#7 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

well spambots I always thought were more for catching people with trojans/viruses (I've not clicked on one of those links so I wouldnt know).

@Video_Game_King: but the misspellings aren't even in the important parts! they're all in the outlying stuff which wouldn't really get caught by anti spam software

#8 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

It'll get better...

#9 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1066 posts) -

There trying to get better hits in google by using specific words and links repeatedly, it helps give them better results for those words in google so they will hopefully get more hits.

#10 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Because they are all from China and China don't care.

#11 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Ha, I wonder if there is some deep statistic logic behind why they write the way they do. Though I'm guessing they're just too cheap or lazy to hire someone who... speaks English.

#12 Posted by GnomeonFire (778 posts) -

Its actually a secret language that only the KGB knows. And they're sending messages back and forth that detail an elaborate plan to take over the internet.

#13 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

Maybe so it will looks like a "real" person. Rather than a computer just sending these emails (or whatever) out. Even though mostly everyone knows they're spambots.

#14 Posted by ripelivejam (4852 posts) -

FOLLOW THE MONEY

NUMBERS STATIONS

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

ETC

#15 Edited by TruthTellah (9472 posts) -
#16 Posted by BBAlpert (1575 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Ha, I wonder if there is some deep statistic logic behind why they write the way they do. Though I'm guessing they're just too cheap or lazy to hire someone who... speaks English.

I'd guess that a lot of it comes from the use of spinning software. What spinning programs do is take some given text or sentence (for example "Please buy our erection pills"), and swaps out individual words or groups of words with what some dictionary file labels as approximate synonyms, even if the synonyms are for the words in different contexts (such as "Satisfy pay for my construction medicine"). They're used so that someone can quickly generate thousands of "different" versions of whatever they're writing, without having to actually write it more than once.

#17 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@_Zombie_ said:

I can't wait for the day when we have grammatically correct spambots. That'll be fun.

but... but....but how would that be fun D = you cant rip apart the poor grammar...

#18 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1216 posts) -

They no speaky english

#19 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

see this is what I sometimes think too. Like there was real thought into typing really terribly.

though @BBAlpert: is probably right

#20 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (888 posts) -

You guys complain about spambots using broken English now. When they eventually starting writing good English, we're all fucked.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

You guys complain about spambots using broken English now. When they eventually starting writing good English, we're all fucked.

basically I want spambot writers to hire me to write this stuff

#22 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

They're bots, they don't care. 
They just wanna kill us all or turn us into slaves! 

#23 Posted by csl316 (9432 posts) -

Seems like it'll fit in better with the average forum poster.

Also, here's*

#24 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@csl316: I fixed it for you

@ZeForgotten: nah, these bots just want us to buy cheap chinese knockoffs of popular products! a noble cause to be sure

#25 Posted by csl316 (9432 posts) -
@Animasta Close. Sorry, trying to help your post.
#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Half of the posts on the Internet are written in broken English, regardless of whether or not the poster is a native English-speaker. The spambots are just trying to blend in.

#27 Posted by believer258 (12184 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

but... but....but how would that be fun D = you cant rip apart the poor grammar...

Should I rip apart your poor grammar, brother?

Anyway, this is probably a combination of their programmers speaking bad English and computers being, well, computers and not humans. You could put all the subtle rules and nuances of a language in a computer that you want to but it still won't ever be able to make a sentence as well as a human being who practices the language in question. It will always sound off, even if it is mostly correct.

Note that by "practices" I don't just mean "speaks and writes bad Facebook posts". I mean, can actually read and write it properly and well.

#28 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

Anyway, this is probably a combination of their programmers speaking bad English and computers being, well, computers and not humans. You could put all the subtle rules and nuances of a language in a computer that you want to but it still won't ever be able to make a sentence as well as a human being who practices the language in question. It will always sound off, even if it is mostly correct.

Note that by "practices" I don't just mean "speaks and writes bad Facebook posts". I mean, can actually read and write it properly and well.

you know what i meant ass hole.

#29 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@believer258 said:

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

Well someone's upset.

#30 Posted by believer258 (12184 posts) -

@_Zombie_ said:

@living4theday258 said:

@believer258 said:

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

Well someone's upset.

He's easily offended.

#31 Edited by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

@living4theday258 said:

@believer258 said:

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

Well someone's upset.

He's easily offended.

no im just not the most grammatically correct in the world and he likes to be an ass about it.

#32 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@believer258: Oh. So he's your typical internet user, then?

#33 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

buy premium nikee shoes 4 cheap $$ at link
superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com

watch free redsocks vs chickago bulls here freebsskerballderp.com

does sister wear look good in this ?

#34 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Animasta: You say potatoe I say world domination!  
Though I really feel like buying a ViiO hope a bot comes along and sells me one
#35 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

buy premium nikee shoes 4 cheap $$ at link superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com watch free redsocks vs chickago bulls here freebsskerballderp.com does sister wear look good in this ?

omg ill tke 5

#36 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@_Zombie_ said:

fuck you.

#37 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@living4theday258: Gladly. Name a place.

#38 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@_Zombie_

@NekuSakuraba said:

buy premium nikee shoes 4 cheap $$ at link superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com superawesomehappyfuntimenikeshoesarecheap.com watch free redsocks vs chickago bulls here freebsskerballderp.com does sister wear look good in this ?

omg ill tke 5

Sorry sir, no Zombies are allowed to shop at our website without a permit.
#39 Posted by BeachThunder (12410 posts) -

Not any worse than most forum members...

#40 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: Racist motherfucker.

#41 Posted by believer258 (12184 posts) -

@_Zombie_ said:

Yep.

#42 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@_Zombie_: there is a wal-mart nearby that will do nicely.

#43 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@living4theday258 said:

@believer258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

@living4theday258 said:

@believer258 said:

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

Well someone's upset.

He's easily offended.

no im just not the most grammatically correct in the world and he likes to be an ass about it.

Neither am I, see if I care, english is like my 4th language(in order of importance) 
So if someone feels like Grammar Nazi'ing me, that's fine, at least it means they have something to do with their shitty lives.

@believer258 not aimed at you, btw. just so we're clear :P
#44 Posted by believer258 (12184 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

fuck you.

That's a great way to attract mod wrath.

#45 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@living4theday258: Ew. Walmart. Peasants shop there.

#46 Edited by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

fuck you.

okay. your one to talk about mod wrath. banned from escapist....

@ZeForgotten: it doesn't bother me either. its just that my brother feels the need to correct me both in person and on the internet and he enjoys doing it. so i do get mad at him.

#47 Edited by believer258 (12184 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@living4theday258 said:

@believer258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

@living4theday258 said:

@believer258 said:

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

Well someone's upset.

He's easily offended.

Neither am I, see if I care, english is like my 4th language(in order of importance)
So if someone feels like Grammar Nazi'ing me, that's fine, at least it means they have something to do with their shitty lives.

@believer258 not aimed at you, btw. just so we're clear :P

Ha! No, I wouldn't have taken it like that. He's my brother - note the names, he copied me. I'm messing with him. I wouldn't "Grammar Nazi" someone unless their own grammar wasn't great and they were Grammar Nazi'ing someone else (points ) and even then I generally don't bother.

Also, when the fuck did "Grammar Nazi" become a verb?

#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@believer258 said:

@living4theday258 said:

@_Zombie_ said:

fuck you.

okay. your one to talk about mod wrath. banned from escapist....

???

#49 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@_Zombie_ said:

@living4theday258: Ew. Walmart. Peasants shop there.

ok the local BP is slightly better

#50 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: i dont get it....?