• 167 results
#1 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

I don't get, what's the point other than to make our brain chemicals feel good? Why help other people? Why seek out companionship? Why care how the Mass Effect trilogy ends? Why drink Pepsi over Coke? Why Giant Bomb over Gamespot? Why PS3 vs 360 vs PC (because fuck the Wii that's why)? Why change my desktop background? What's the point? I mean why burn the specific amount of calories on caring about anything? So what if Michael Jackson might have diddled Home Alone? Who cares and why do we care? About anything. Ever.

#2 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16:

Because that's what makes us human, and individuals. We constantly strife to define ourselves by what we do and don't, what we like and dislike. Otherwise life would be pretty empty, don't you think?

#3 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

You sure seem like a "glass is half-empty" kind of guy!

#4 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

If you don't care, then you are a sociopath.

#5 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

This is the saddest and most depressing post I've ever seen in my life.

#6 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

Fuck philosophy and enjoy your life.

#7 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -
#8 Edited by foggel (2763 posts) -

If you don't care, it's because lower tier needs in the Maslow have not been satisfied. If you do care, I guess it has something to do with social identity etc. 

Edit: Helping other people and contributing to society needs emerges at the Esteem tier.  
Also, an interesting side note: At this tier an individual also wants to share content one feels would be of value to others, such as new, or a funny picture. This is partially why content goes viral on the internet. Other reasons to share content is to "confirm" ones social identity, or hope to reach ones ideal social identity. Maybe as a sports expert, or fashionista.

#9 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

No one cares about your apathy

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

You know what you should care about? Lexapro.

#11 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Because its what makes life what it is.

#12 Posted by AssInAss (2541 posts) -

Uh Oh...

#13 Posted by mwng (921 posts) -

#14 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2376 posts) -

Because if there is no point either way, and no final meaning to justify your actions or bring you to choose one path definitively then it finally becomes a matter of pure choice and there is nothing to hold you back on either side. But we live in a world where no one really tries to think that far on a mass population scale, and instead pushes the mass amount of "choices" we've predefined for our lives and futures. Everyone who does come to that point will have a different reason on their answer to the choice and in a way have a slightly less "pure" choice. In the end without clear justification there is no reason, no logic.

"At the core of all well-founded belief lies belief that is unfounded" -Wittgenstein

So basically, in the end it's an unsensible choice based on personal unfounded belief. In a brute way of speaking.

#15 Edited by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

We want to stay alive a species. That's what pretty much drives us. Since many of us have so many of our immediate needs satisfied by default we have started inventing other stuff to care about because that's what we do, that keeps most of us away from suicide.

If you would be dying of hunger and thirst you wouldn't give a fuck about most of that shit you mentioned. There is no purpose. You could kill yourself right now and it wouldn't matter. Do you want to? Probably not, so stop worrying, have a good lunch and enjoy your life.

#16 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

I mean what's the point of becoming a doctor just to add a couple of extra years to another human's (who sometimes are drug addicts) life at the cost of your own healthiness and time? So what if your shirt isn't the latest fashion or you possess an incredible amount of Britney Spears knowledge? Christians, Sikhs, Jews, Buddhists, etc., who and why would someone care what you believe or worship? If I were to think 2+2=5, why would you care to correct me? Who won the gold at the Summer Olympics in Discus? Who cares? Someone will just win it again next year. I'm not dull and I don't see any glasses as half-empty or half-full. I see the road in front of me as I drive my car, I see the glass of milk as I tilt it towards my mouth, and I see the eyes of the people I talk to everyday. What I don't understand is human preference: our desire to be individuals, our desire to be accepted by other people we have never met before or who have any integral importance whatsovever. Why do we care about anything other than surviving to see another sunrise? Who cares about subtext can be found in the writings by an old British man who died centuries ago? Does it make you better that your appearance adheres more closely to what you believe to be the most attractive appearance for a human of our species? I just don't get why we, as a species (beyond sexual reproduction), care about anything at all? Especially considering the permanence and absoluteness of death.

#17 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

I'll leave you with my favorite quote from Angel:

"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

#18 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Because yolo

#19 Posted by McHampton (63 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16 said:

I don't get, what's the point other than to make our brain chemicals feel good?

That's the point. Make that happen.

#20 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2376 posts) -

Rereading my paragraph I sound a little bit like a pretentious asshole so I'll rephrase it in a less assholish way.

We choose to live the way we do because we'd rather it to the alternatives we see.

#21 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

I think the bigger question is why did you care enough to make this thread?

#22 Edited by John1912 (1829 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16: I thought a bit about the issue. From a metaphysical stand point energy wants to fill a void. In this case the void between opposites (or all cases). Thats about as simple, and prob accurate as your going to get. Vague as that statement may be.

Ponder this. In order for us to care about anything, or know what something is, the universe has to know or understand what these things are. We detach ourselves from reality. In our day to day thinking we dont consider ourselves to be a actual piece of the universe. In that respect the universe itself, is alive, self aware, and intelligent. Its capable of self organization. Before you try to answer why do we care, answer how the fuck does the universe understand what it is your caring about. We like to think we are somehow independent of, or solely responsible for creating the intangibles of reality, but logically the universe has to have the information before hand. We just puzzle it out afterwards.

#23 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16: If you really truly believe all that you are saying, then why are you still posting here? What's the point, right? Oh, you want some attention? Well then, carry on.

#24 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

@foggel: I think quite a few of us have taken PSYC 101 at University, or plan to. But who cares what Maslow said other than to comfort us into thinking that there is a way for us to justify our own existence? Humanistic approaches to purpose and self-acctualization are baseline comfort mechanisms that we adopt to make us feel better about our tragically short life spans and our inadequacy in the face of objects such as the Sun, water and oxygen molecules, or even McDonald's. Having another person, such as Maslow or Freud (for all you first year students), explain what they think makes the Earth spin shouldn't mean anything to you because they are just insubstantial thoughts written down by men who desire the same things you want (just a few years in the past).

@deathstriker666: Apathy? Absolutely. But why spend time and calories (you only get so much) dismissing my thoughts? Contributing to an interesting discussion with like-minded people? Great! Why, though?

I appreciate the references to 'The Big Lebowski' and 'Office Space', but I just enjoy reading about how the Giant Bomb community interprets their world and where they see themselves in it.

And the production of iPhones and virus vaccines as a product of not contemplating suicide? Quite preposterous of you ask me because to end one's own life based on boredom levels(whatever boredom is) seems quite absurd. Why die and be unable to pass on your genetic material because there weren't enough toys to tinker with? Enough substances to ingest and experiment with? Why even allow the concept of suicide enter your consciousness when it is a means to one's own execution. To court the idea of self-inflicted death is counter- intuitive to the ancestral brain which urges us to copulate, consume, and care.

But why care?

#25 Posted by Blackout62 (1328 posts) -

Because you would be amazed how hard it is to actually be apathetic without getting incredibly bored.

#26 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

Yeah I agr

Why PS3 vs 360 vs PC (because fuck the Wii that's why)?

AW HELL NAW

#27 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

Because humans are the most selfish and vile creatures to ever walk the Earth. The sooner they are gone the better.

#28 Posted by golguin (3842 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16 said:

But why care?

There are plenty of things I don't care about and yet there are probably an equal number of thing that I do care about. I don't consciously think of finding things interesting or worthy of my attention and yet I continue to do it.

The question isn't why we care. It's an automatic process. It's like asking why we breathe at a constant rate.

#29 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

Because I can.

#30 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

Wow....just wow.

#31 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Because there's nothing better to do.

#32 Edited by RazielCuts (2926 posts) -

Someone just got dumped/rejected and is now proceeding to listen to Staind's back catalogue.

#33 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Don't worry, you won't be 15 forever.

#34 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

Why attack me as a person for writing the starting topic to a thread on the internet? Why not contribute to the discussion in a meaningful and constructive manner? or, conversely, why evem respond?

#35 Posted by Tebbit (4449 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Because yolo

That's beautiful.

#36 Posted by BeachThunder (11695 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16 said:

Why attack me as a person for writing the starting topic to a thread on the internet? Why not contribute to the discussion in a meaningful and constructive manner? or, conversely, why evem respond?

Why do you even care?

#37 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -
@MKSKILLZ16: I have a degree and work in advertising, lol. Just kind of seem like you didn't know, the answers do lie in quite basic psychology. 

It's not about justifying ones existence, because it can't be. We're all a result of a series of coincidences, and for he past millions of years, evolution. And in evolution the humans that have cared are the ones who have survived. Those who have had his psychological build-up are the ones who have been most fit. That's why we can use Maslow and psychology to atleast partially explain this question. 

But if you want answers, this is not the most original question. It's probably in some book, somewhere.
#38 Posted by zels (204 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16: Well, do I even need to argue when you seem to be arguing all sides of the discussion anyway?

Also, with all the "why should you care" questions being thrown around I ask "why should you not care"?

#39 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

YOLO

#40 Posted by byrjun (154 posts) -

Well, you're right. Why do anything, ever? There is no rational justification to the majority of the things we do, especially the western population of post WWII. We have for the most part relegated basic survival to be a human right, for the most part ensuring that most of us will eat and sleep. So now, our troubles are, as Louis C.K. points out, which of the million blue ray players we should pick and which amazon review we should trust. Our tastes are constantly being challenged in the face of globalization. Things that some countries do, seem appaling or silly in other countries, but in the end we all see each other for the humans we are I guess. But that also means the fact that everything we think we like, are just constructions, games we are playing with our selves.

So yeah, it's constructed and silly, but even then, if something makes you happy to do, and it doesn't hurt other people, why not do it? Or else go climb a mountain or cure cancer or go to Mars and do it every second of your life that you have left. Or masturbate.

Dude, I can recommend start reading philosophy, in this case for example start reading some Martin Heidegger, it has helped me a lot when I've had the same kinds of thoughts.

#41 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

Why do you care about why we care?

#42 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

There very well might be no purpose to our existence. But hey, it's like you're at a party where there's a lot of booze and suggestible chicks, why leave?

#43 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

Because not caring about anything is really fucking boring! My one single point of living is to feel entertained, I don't care about being important, or helping others. Just give me something fun to watch/play/read and someone to talk with and I'll try to do all I can to facilitate living. Just because there aren't any points to life by default, doesn't mean you can't make any!

#44 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -
@Fearbeard said:

Why do you care about why we care?

Tou-fucking-ché.
#45 Posted by Freshbandito (654 posts) -

Because if it were all simply explained by "the release of chemicals in the brain" then a whole plethora of things in society and society itself wouldn't exist, there's more to life than boring psycho-science takes on "Why?" and people who don't think there's more to everything are awfully boring people who ruin every dinner party I've ever been to.

#46 Posted by Hilbert (349 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16 said:

I don't get, what's the point other than to make our brain chemicals feel good? Why help other people? Why seek out companionship? Why care how the Mass Effect trilogy ends? Why drink Pepsi over Coke? Why Giant Bomb over Gamespot? Why PS3 vs 360 vs PC (because fuck the Wii that's why)? Why change my desktop background? What's the point? I mean why burn the specific amount of calories on caring about anything? So what if Michael Jackson might have diddled Home Alone? Who cares and why do we care? About anything. Ever.

Why look at this picture? Its to feel good.

Life ->>>> Serving positive emotions ->>>> Serving your needs.

#47 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

You ask why but if you really wanted to know you could get off your ass and do some reaserch instead of wanting the answers to be spoon feed to you. Why be christian or jewish or muslim you ask? Go pick up a Bible and Korran and Torrah and see what those books are all about. Pick up a copy of The Origin of Species and get a basic understanding of evolution. Read the Communist Manifesto and find out the original pitch for communisim. Go read the Five Dialogues, Meditations on First Philosophy, On the Geneaology of Mortality, Utilitarianism, and The Virtue of Selfishness. Read what these people say and you will be able to compare the wildly different things that modivate people, and you will also be able to to connect the dots on what they have in common. If you want answers, find them youself.

Also I appologise for any and all typos, this is being written from a Vita.

#48 Edited by beeftothetaco (420 posts) -

If you don't care about/can't be bothered to do anything, why did you make this thread?

#49 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

Just a fun thought experiment guys and gals. I enjoy reading everyone's responses immensely, the GB community is a always a great source for discussion. To those asking me why make this thread, simple: the discovery and sharing of opinion (I thought that point was clear in my previous posts; my mistake). To those pointing me, and hopefully other interested in learning more, to other writings and sources, it is much appreciated (although I wasn't expecting 'the one and only' answer from an internet forum thread, who honestly could?). One of the reasons for caring I found most appealing was the pursuit of knowledge and to share it. Through the combining of one's own resources with the resources of others, we can strive to make the short amount of time we are permitted to exist quite nice for one another, much like the Angel youtube quote above on page 1 or 2 of this thread. To live an ignorant and resentful life is wasteful. The search for a source to blame is much easier than the the search for a source to learn and grow from.

Analogies and metaphors for the path one takes in life is fantastic (I just used 'path')! Reaching out to the GB community on topics surpassing our common interest of HHH and videogames is refreshing. I care because you care, and you care because I don't know why; everyone is different.

#50 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@MKSKILLZ16: Why do you like Venture Bros.?! Huh?!