• 168 results
#1 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I was just looking at the forums listed on the front page, and I noticed that a ton of threads have an extremely high number of views, but very small post counts. Looking at this picture I took, it seems to be about a 10:1 ratio of lurkers to posters on almost every thread. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and what you folks think about it.

#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19355 posts) -

There are tons of lurkers on any Internet forum. It's not something special to Giant Bomb.

For a forum with a massive amount of lurkers in comparison to posters, check NeoGAF out.
#3 Posted by Dawglet (312 posts) -

IM NO LURKER

#4 Posted by DystopiaX (5320 posts) -

Tons of lurkers, and you don't take into account the posters who look at a thread and don't have anything to say so don't post.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14698 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
There are tons of lurkers on any Internet forum. It's not something special to Giant Bomb.
#6 Edited by medacris (662 posts) -

I'm semi-shy and don't know anyone here terribly well, I guess that's my excuse.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19355 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
Tons of lurkers, and you don't take into account the posters who look at a thread and don't have anything to say so don't post.
There's that to take into consideration as well.
#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Because some people view certain threads more than once.

#9 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

I've been here from the start but I don't post often because I always get thrust into i-rguments. So I do everyone a favor and shut the fuck up. 

#10 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Axxol said:
Because some people view certain threads more than once.
This. Don't disregard the F5 crowd. 
#11 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3485 posts) -

I've lurked, and I'll lurk again.

#12 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Because not everyone who views a thread has something to say. There have been many times where I've clicked on a topic about a subject I had no knowledge of. In those cases I generally don't say anything, keeping myself from sounding like an idiot. Other times I post and sound like an idiot anyway, like right now for instance.

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@DystopiaX said:
There's that to take into consideration as well.
I get that, but it just struck me as odd how often it's the ten to one ratio. Just pop open general and take a look at the top threads, not counting the anchored stuff, and it's a ton of 300 views 30 replies, or 80 views 8 posts etc. I guess I'm more fascinated with how consistently it's that ratio giving a couple posts.
#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@medacris said:
I'm semi-shy and don't know anyone here terribly well, I guess that's my excuse.
BAH! That's no excuse! I don't know anyone here and I post all the time. Just read the OP and post your two cents on the subject. You don't have to try and jump into conversations. Post enough and people will start noticing your avatar and replying to your stuff.
#15 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
You don't take into account the posters who look at a thread and don't have anything to say so don't post.
This. I don't post in topics that I don't have anything relevant to add to or anything to share, but I look at nearly every thread that even seems semi-interesting.
#16 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19355 posts) -
@crusader8463: Just clicking on the forums tab, that ration doesn't seem very consistent:    

#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

If you think lurkers here are bad, try /b/.

That site has about 1,000,000,000/1 ratio.
#18 Posted by Revenant86 (156 posts) -
@medacris said:
how can you be shy on the internet
#19 Posted by Getz (3031 posts) -

I was talking about it earlier, and a good number of users seemed to agree with me, that I just don't like commenting on long topics. I still read lots of them but I only tend to comment on the fresh ones.

#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

If you think that's weird, I'm on your profile and lurking in your images.

#21 Posted by Lolzhacked (84 posts) -

Im in your thread watching you type =)

#22 Posted by Marz (5655 posts) -

I had made an account fairly early on, but i did lurk for about a year before i posted anything.

#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Point one, I hate you for burning out my eyes with that white background. Point two, when I did it that's all I saw.
#24 Posted by Deathbanger (11 posts) -
@medacris
This,and its fon to due.
#25 Posted by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -

I was going to lurk on this post but felt the irony would be lost if I didn't actually post. 

#26 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I did some heavy lurking in the past, and even now I'll look at threads and not post if it doesn't interest me to the point of writing something up.

#27 Posted by Korrz (62 posts) -

I browse forums to see other peoples opinions on topics that I'm interested in, I rarely post myself unless I have something specific to say/ask. I think a lot of people are the same way, and I've been signed up on this site since the day it launched lol.

#28 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

I'm totally cool with people showing restraint and judging whether or not they have anything of value to contribute to a thread. I almost wish more would do it.

#29 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@Claude said:
I SWEAR TO GOD SHE'S 18!
#30 Posted by Soffish (139 posts) -

Personally I find the gb community to be very intimidating so I don't post much(or at all really).

#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19355 posts) -
@crusader8463: Well, I'd say that was pretty much a coincidence, then.

And I much prefer the white background.
#32 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -

I'd rather see that someone didn't post because they didn't have anything to say instead of the people who DO post because they have nothing to say.

#33 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

A lot of the time I'll look at a topic that has already ramped up several comments, but many people have already echoed my own thoughts so I don't feel it's necessary to post the same thing again.  I assume this happens at an exponential rate for threads that generate a lot of discussion, especially ones with heated arguments.  People are fascinated by the conversation but don't feel inclined to jump into the fray.

#34 Posted by 49th (2766 posts) -

I can't be assed to post the same thing someone else had already said. I nearly didn't post this either. I do post more actively on other forums though.

#35 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Claude said:
I laughed, but then I became worried. 
#36 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@BlastoTheSpectre said:
Personally I find the gb community to be very intimidating so I don't post much(or at all really).
Now I feel like a badass. Take that all you people that picked on me in high school.
#37 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Well I'm sorry if I'm very shy and don't feel as though anything I would say would contribute that much to the thread, it's just that sometimes others say or would say things a lot better than I would ever be able to. For instance, this post might be a rewording of what someone else says, hence my hesitation in posting in this thread.

#38 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
I've been here from the start but I don't post often because I always get thrust into i-rguments. So I do everyone a favor and shut the fuck up. 
I wish I could bring myself to do that >_> seems everything I say makes someone think of me as an asshole and oh so eager to reply to me to let me know I'm an asshole.
I am an asshole but it still hurts guys!
#39 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

I like to believe it's because Giant Bomb users think their responses through before posting, and are judicious enough to know when not to respond at all.

But that's probably not the case whatsoever. 
#40 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@BlastoTheSpectre said:
Let me go find my paddle so I can reinforce this line of thinking. I jest.......or am I?
#41 Edited by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

-comes to the thread, reads a few posts, then goes to a different page, without posting anything......oh wait-
If I don't have anything to say, I usually don't post. 

EDIT: What Shadow said below me.
#42 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

There's probably lots of people like me who read topics but don't post in some of them because they don't feel they can add anything to the topic at hand.
#43 Posted by Nighttide (34 posts) -
@Korrz said:
I browse forums to see other peoples opinions on topics that I'm interested in, I rarely post myself unless I have something specific to say/ask. I think a lot of people are the same way, and I've been signed up on this site since the day it launched lol.
Pretty much this. I've had this account since 2009, but never really feel like posting. I just like seeing what everyone's talking about, and a lot of the time, someone will have already expressed my opinion, anyway. 

So why am I posting this? I. Don't. Know.
#44 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Because some people just read the thread and don't feel it's necessary to make a comment on it?

#45 Posted by NorthSarge (252 posts) -

i think because if anyone else is like me. ill post on things that i have feelings about, but generally i enjoy reading about what the gb community has to say on a lot of subjects. Giantbomb is one of the few sites that i actually want to see all of what it has to offer and just because im reading about community thoughts doesn't mean i need to comment on them, like i currently am.

additionally i tend to write a lot on my replies that no one will ever read. probably like this post.
#46 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -
@NorthSarge24: ...what?
#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Maybe people just want to read the responses and stuff?

#48 Posted by Euryb (110 posts) -

hide yo wife, hide yo kids, and hide yo husband cause everybody be lurking in here

#49 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2382 posts) -

Because a lot of people have no Idea what to say but want to read.

#50 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@NorthSarge24: I read it! Not sure how others on the site fall into the same category, but I always take the time to completely read anything someone took the time to type to me personally in a reply or a thread I make, because if they cared enough about something I said to say something to me specifically then I feel like I owe it to them. Even if it''s just a few lines or a whole essay. Someone took the time to think about something I said and post something in response to it. To me that means something. 

Unless it's just some troll throwing around swear words and calling me names, because I don't agree with their POV.