Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

HINT TO ALL COLLEGE STUDENTS 

Buy books from half.com 
Sell books back onto half.com 
Lose almost no money, occasionally make some. 

SubaS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SubaS77

So let me get this straight... You wan't your government to prioritize the price of text books over that giant oil spill... Jesus fucking christ, how someone so god damn stupid made it into college is beyond me.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Lemoncookie01

So according to the OP 
Textbook prices > Oil Spill?

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
@Senile_Kyle: As a graduate student I understand why textbooks cost a lot of money. I've spent years writing for very little money, while a university puts their stamp on my published material to gain a profit. If your going to school for eight years you have to be able to make money somehow. Textbook sales are a great way to do that. Still, charging $100 for a text book is criminal.
jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By jinxman
@ThatFrood said:
" Because people like you are outraged at every hike in the price of tuition, despite rising standards and greater upkeep costs, so universities and professors are forced to find alternative sources of income? "
The funny part is that government subsidies and grants are a big part of the reason tuition costs are rising so much.
PirateNeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By PirateNeal

I find ways around it, used books are a good solution. Also doing good in school helps gets them moneys from student loans.
but yeah, free market, Government should not get involved in Americas colleges, they tend to fuck up everything it touches

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#57  Edited By RJay_64

check amazon

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

You should send him a link to this forum. That would change his mind.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#59  Edited By AgentJ
@Senile_Kyle said:
" Why does the government allow textbook companies to sell overpriced textbooks!!!! Example, Prentice Hall's Deitel and Deitel programming books. They have two main series, the "How To Program...." and the "....for Programmers" series.  The "How To Program..." books are always $100+ new, however, the "...for Programmers" books are all only $35-$40.  Both series feature paperback books, and 1200-1500 pages.  I don't know about you guys, but, $100+ is way too much for a paperback book, I think $35-$40 is right.  Here's the problem I have, both series have the same amount of pages, give or take.  The "How To Program..." books are aimed for college courses, while the "...for Programmers" books are not. So they jack the price for the "How To Program..." books because they know college students are gonna be forced to buy them.   This is ridiculous, Obama should be fixing this problem instead of trying to find who's ass he should kick for the oil spill problem. "
Unfortunately if people keep buying them at 100 dollars companies will keep selling them at 100 dollars
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By shirogane

It's not just a US problem, text books are expensive as hell everywhere. In my experience, you hardly use them half the time. Well, i hardly did. Anything you need you can find on the internets.
Senile_Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Senile_Kyle
@SubaS77 said:

" So let me get this straight... You wan't your government to prioritize the price of text books over that giant oil spill... Jesus fucking christ, how someone so god damn stupid made it into college is beyond me. "

The gov is wasting their time, either appoint some scientist and engineers to figure out how to do something or just let BP keep fiddling around like headless turkeys.  Again, so far all Obama has done is check out the damage and try to find specific people to point a finger at for the poor execution of stopping the gushing.  So far BP has showed no signs of fixing this on their own, get outside scientists and engineers and let them have a crack on it, that's all you can do. Whats been done has been done, there is no taking the oil out of the water, that can't be done until synthetic life research is fully understood and creatable on a large scale.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#62  Edited By Termite

The prices can be rather unreasonable, but it's not cheap making those things, and obviously there's enough demand for them to keep it in the 100+ range. It's a bummer, true, but the government's job isn't to regulate textbook prices.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Hosstile17

Textbook companies charge whatever they charge. When the system is working properly, the school chooses the book because it is the best. It is nice if it is cheaper than the average one. But, that is not always the case. Yes, there have been cases of corruption when it comes to book purchasing. But, be hopeful that for the price, you are getting the best that money can buy.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Hunkulese
@Senile_Kyle: Everything I buy is overpriced and I think it should be cheaper. WHY WON'T THE GOVERNMENT LISTEN
theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By theduke

the prices are unreasonable but I'm pretty sure the oil spill is of greater urgency

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ShadowSkill11
@Senile_Kyle: 

What does the government have to do with setting prices for private companies in a capitalist society? Did you immigrate from China or something? Anyways, the answer to your question is that the book companies sell very little textbooks and they need to be updated every year. As a result of such low volume they need to cover their expenses by raising prices. You are buying textbooks, not the Bible or Harry Potter. If no one told you college textbooks are expensive I take it you must be a dumbass freshman.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By Jadeskye

Capatalism is your friend! =D

seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By seanvail99

If you want to complain to somebody, complain to your professors and your school. They're the ones who decide to purchase new editions of textbooks from publishers and stifle the used book market on campus. There are more pressing issues for the government to worry about. 

Also, remember that your campus bookstore is not the only place to find these books. Check amazon, ebay etc and you may find the same book much cheaper.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By YoThatLimp

Your blaming Obama for your text books being expensive?  

Don't bother with the books, your not going anywhere kid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jinxman: The idea that student grants and financial aid are what cause the increase college costs is nonsense.  The demand for higher education went up, simple as that.  It was a shift in a demand more than a "government distortion" of the markets.  However, I would accept the argument government aid helped to shift the demand, but It alone can not to be blamed.
jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jinxman
@JSUMAN said:
" @jinxman: The idea that student grants and financial aid are what cause the increase college costs is nonsense.  The demand for higher education went up, simple as that.  It was a shift in a demand more than a "government distortion" of the markets.  However, I would accept the argument government aid helped to shift the demand, but It alone can not to be blamed. "
Government gives out a bunch of aid, often times more than is necessary to pay for college, so the college boosts it's tuition costs to the level of aid so it can get all the federal money.  But yes, demand has gone up too, and you're right, it certainly isn't the only issue at hand.

The same thing happens on a smaller level when the government gives out grants for things like internet.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Icil
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" Since when does the government have anything to do with capitalist prices?  "
First thought I had, too. 

To fix this problem, you speak with your wallet. There are some really cool used textbook sites out there whose prices are way lower than market (which is inflated, sure). I think there's even a website that lets you lease textbooks for 6 months at a huge reduction of price, if you can find it.
yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By yukoasho

Capitalism.  It's the benchmark of our great society, warts and all.

Senile_Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Senile_Kyle
@Metalideth said:
" Your blaming Obama for your text books being expensive?   Don't bother with the books, your not going anywhere kid. "
Um...I'm not blaming Obama, I never pointed the finger at Obama. Please read and comprehend before you make a statement, I said he should do something about college textbooks.  And why would this opinion have anything to do with my success in college, I'm in Computer Science, not Political Science.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

This is what happens with a muslim president from kenya who is a nazi and a communist.  Deal with it.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Tennmuerti

Buy second hand, or make copies of only pages you need, or use a library or buy past editions (newest ones rarely add much), or buy second hand past editions.
Problem solved, use your head.
Government doesn't need to wipe your ass.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By penguindust

In Soviet Russia, government....ah, forget it.

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TomWhitbrook

Of course, if you haven't heard of a library then the other answer is to do a course where the books have mass market appeal, like history. A far higher volume of production meant that for roughly the same amount of "book", my history texts cost about a third of some of the politics and international relations books. 
Computer science? I'm guessing very few people have that stuff on their bedside table.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Tennmuerti
@PenguinDust said:
" In Soviet Russia, government....ah, forget it. "
In Soviet Russia textbooks govern you!
or 
In Soviet Russia government texts you!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By penguindust
@Tennmuerti said:
" @PenguinDust said:
" In Soviet Russia, government....ah, forget it. "
In Soviet Russia textbooks govern you!or  In Soviet Russia government texts you! "
That's pretty good.  Bonus points.  The second one flashed through my mind, too which is when I said "ah forget it" to myself. :-)
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#81  Edited By JonathanMoore

oight govonor.