Why does the name mama’s boy have a negative connotation?

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dr_nefarious

I just think it is the stereotype of Mamas boy that is insulting. The 30 year old who lives at home with mom and mom still does his laundry, cooks his meals and cleans up after him. The stereotype of Daddy's Girl is a girl who will always have her daddy to fall back on when things just get a little rough and they need money to buy a new dress or something. On the other hand there are sons who don't live at home but still have a closeness with their mother (which would be me) and there is nothing wrong with that. He is independent, but still looks up to his mom and cares about what she has to say. There is the daughter who is in dependent because of her father. She knows that it is okay to go out in the world and try and do great things and not be afraid to fall and if something did go wrong, her father would be there. Therefore she can accomplish so much. I think it depends on which scenario you go with. If you go with the stereotype than it would be insulting, but if it is the other than it is very endearing for both.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

I love my Mommy. I'm proud to be a Momma's boy!

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Snipzor

Because of man's insecurities with their own masculinity. I could go on, but Michael Kimmel wrote an excellent piece about it and it is worth a read. Ignore the editorial additions in the article please.

/Yes, it is completely relevant

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Adam Smith was a momma's boy.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By inkeiren
Snipzor said:
"Because of man's insecurities with their own masculinity. I could go on, but Michael Kimmel wrote an excellent piece about it and it is worth a read. Ignore the editorial additions in the article please./Yes, it is completely relevant"
A smarter reply than I expected in this thread.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dr_nefarious
Vinchenzo said:
"I love my Mommy. I'm proud to be a Momma's boy!"
Same here. I'm like Joe Pesci with his mom in goodfellas.

Snipzor
said:
"Because of man's insecurities with their own masculinity. I could go on, but Michael Kimmel wrote an excellent piece about it and it is worth a read. Ignore the editorial additions in the article please./Yes, it is completely relevant"
I skimmed through most of it but it looks like a good read. I understood many of the points he was making.