This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MrCandleguy (914 posts) -

First off, as some of you might know I live in Middle Earth (new Zealand) so i don't keep up with USA affairs. Anyway i heard this on the news that to be president you have to be publicly christian. I think that really blows, ok i'm a atheist so i'm not one for religion anyway but thats not the point. Shouldn't religion be kept private from the world? Because last time i checked religion was a private matter. Its not religion that makes you a great man, it's your actions that define you. 

So why is this?

#2 Posted by Beforet (2987 posts) -

It's not a legal requirement, but if you want to have a chance then you probably should look like a christian.

#3 Edited by jakob187 (22309 posts) -

This is one of the things I liked about McCain - he never made his religious beliefs public because he felt it would go against the Constitution's freedom of religion.  At the same time, Obama comes from a place where you don't hide your faith.  I'm sure that making sure the Heartland knows you are a Christian probably helps with the polls as well. 

Personally, I'd prefer someone who doesn't put their religion out in the open and instead just allowed themselves to practice in privacy. 

With all that said, there's only one man that should be in the President's chair: 

RON MUTHAFUCKIN PAUL!!!
#4 Posted by babblinmule (1280 posts) -

I dont live in the USA either, but from what i can gather, its because the south of the country will refuse to vote for somebody who isnt a die hard christian.

#5 Posted by MrCandleguy (914 posts) -
@Beforet: I heard it was required, because people think ATM that obama (who reminds me of Louis from L4D) is muslim
#6 Posted by Raven_Sword (4066 posts) -

Because we as a nation frown upon anyone that dosent believe in god. maybe.
#7 Posted by FixerofDeath (337 posts) -

Because the USA is a Christian nation no matter how much the constitution says otherwise. (I'm athiest by the way)

#8 Posted by Beforet (2987 posts) -

They were saying that to dissuade the  "EEEHH muslims are scary!" crowd from voting for him, not to get him off the ballot.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -
@AmonHouston said:
" @Beforet: I heard it was required, because people think ATM that obama (who reminds me of Louis from L4D) is muslim "
It's not a requirement. I don't know who the hell you heard that from.
#10 Posted by MrCandleguy (914 posts) -
@FixerofDeath said:
 (I'm athiest by the way) "
Thus we are already best friends
#11 Posted by Grilledcheez (4006 posts) -
@babblinmule said:
" its because the south of the country will refuse to vote for somebody who isnt a die hard christian. "
Basically this and the rest of the country doesn't care soooo
#12 Posted by Andrela (596 posts) -

America has "In God We Trust" printed on their money. 

The majority of every society (including America) is made up of ignorant, prejudiced people who need to be pandered to and who fear anything thats different. The fact that people even give a shit what religion a person is shows how far we still have to go. It shouldn't matter.

#13 Posted by habster3 (3618 posts) -

You don't have to be. However, the US is primarily Christian, so it sure helps.  

However, I'm not sure Obama's a true Christian (No, I'm not a Republican; I just can't stand the guy, and he probably isn't (based off some recent controversial actions)).

#14 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5771 posts) -
@AmonHouston: You don't have to be but the conservatives in our country are trying to push that idea.  

Our founding fathers weren't all Christians. 

Obama being a democrat has come under fire from a lot of Republicans because his name was muslim sounding and they are using that to try to get a lot of people afraid of him since the conservatives keep saying that muslims are terrorists.
#15 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

Well most world leaders are satanist worshippers, they trade their soul in exchange for power with satanic rituals. (hitman where is the proof?) You heard of skull and bones? Among other illuminati groups? Once this exchange has been made for their soul, they are perfect for puppets for power.

So what new zealand is doing is good because they will have a leader that's not illuminati. They will then have a world leader who isn't a puppet for the illuminati who worships the occult. 

(let's say i'll keep an open mind, are you sure your right about this hitman? I mean how many world leaders are illuminati, I might not belive it, however I might want to know) 

Well here are some publically showing the devil hand gesture that all illuminati uses as proof.  

#16 Posted by PufferFiz (1465 posts) -

hahah oh wow look at the arrogance in this thread. IM OUT

#17 Posted by mrfizzy (1651 posts) -
@AmonHouston: you dont have to be, but if your not that would mean you lose the votes of more or less the entire Christian Right which in America is fair large number. 
#18 Posted by adoggz (2081 posts) -

why do people have to post stupid political/religious threads on a video game web site?

#19 Edited by Karmum (11515 posts) -

You don't have to be, it's just that, well, the American people seem to like anyone that is a Christian. I just wish we could see an open atheist (or even, non-Christian or non-Catholic) politician or two. At least a few more.

#20 Edited by iKANNIBAL (602 posts) -

To put it simple "Politicians LIE" a large portion of America is christian thus to appeal to christians its ideal to "Be Christian" just like it was ideal for Obama to be "Black" for the black crowd even though Obama does not act culturaly black at all, he did the black thing because thats what people wanted to see. 

You know? people criticized Condoleeza Rice just for being "Too white". 

We don't have an official religion and never did, Politicians just pull stunts like that to get support.

#21 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Well most world leaders are satanist worshippers, they trade their soul in exchange for power with satanic rituals. (hitman where is the proof?) You heard of skull and bones? Among other illuminati groups? Once this exchange has been made for their soul, they are perfect for puppets for power.

So what new zealand is doing is good because they will have a leader that's not illuminati. They will then have a world leader who isn't a puppet for the illuminati who worships the occult. 

(let's say i'll keep an open mind, are you sure your right about this hitman? I mean how many world leaders are illuminati, I might not belive it, however I might want to know) 

Well here are some publically showing the devil hand gesture that all illuminati uses as proof.  

"
You believe anything you see on YouTube, don't you?
#22 Posted by Tasus (544 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  I also do that hand gesture from time to time. That doesn't mean I'm a psycho-satan-dude.

You continues to baffle me every time.
#23 Posted by rflx (597 posts) -

Because the general public of america are fucking nutjobs.
That's right, I said it.

Being religious should be a minus in politics, not a plus.

#24 Posted by AlisterCat (6095 posts) -
@jakob187:  Obama gave a rather nice speech on the separation between state and religion though. Even if he is publicly Christian he has made it clear about it's standing in his politics.

#25 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

Nobody in the u.s actually is christian, they are all serving a satanist agenda, obama as alleged by the bible and conspiracy theorist isn't even a christian, rather the anti christ. That's what they said, not me, look as the video i've posted above, there isn't a single real christian at all, zero who is in the position of power. Personally I think obama is a cool guy however the conspiracy theorist circle has uncovered alot of carefully maniputated backwards speech that tells us to serve satan. Or thank you satan from obama. He intentionally used subliminatl messages, which is also common in illuminati music. Here is just a few samples to prove my point. I am not asking if you belive it or not, I just telling you the truth, we never ever had a real christian serve as a president or in positions of power.   

Strong language here, so click at your own discretion, not posting it here. 

#26 Posted by Shadow (5108 posts) -

Because everyone else in federal office is, and they'll go to great lengths to keep it that way.

#27 Edited by ajamafalous (12365 posts) -

There is no legal requirement to be Christian, it's just that a majority of Christians won't vote for a non-Christian politician.

@HitmanAgent47: You fucking baffle me with every new post.

#28 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5771 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @HitmanAgent47: You fucking baffle me with every new post. "
This
#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

People usually want the president to be like them, in some way. Most of the country is Christian, and a lot of it is pretty forward with that. If you have a president who isn't Christian, suddenly things feel weird. Hell, JFK was Christian, but since he wasn't the right type of Christian for America, he still got that little tidbit in history books. (First Catholic president.)

#30 Edited by Brendan (8664 posts) -

This is why I continue to not care about politics.  The majority of people who vote aren't intellligent, and this very situation proves it.  Why should I care about politics when in the end, none of it really matters?  People get into power not because of platforms and ideas (and even those are tainted by being a panderer to bigoted people) but because they please the ignorant masses better than the other guy. 
#31 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

I didn't say it would be easy to hear, all I said is it would be the truth. Keep an open mind, the evidence is right there in front of you, or for my above post.  

You see the word in god we trust, there are two gods, one is the creator the other is satan, the senate is not there for the creator, they are all occult satanist worshippers who we call illuminati. The truth is right in front of you, you are so easily fooled and manipulated by the smarter elites of the world.

#32 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5094 posts) -
@rflx said:
"Because the general public of america are fucking nutjobs. That's right, I said it.  Being religious should be a minus in politics, not a plus. "

Dumbass.
#33 Posted by B0nd07 (1744 posts) -

Because there is this group of people that, no matter what, keep believing stupid things despite the facts; like he wasn't born in the U.S. (a requirement for becoming President), is a Muslim, is a terrorist and a bunch of other evil, bad things.  Now, there's nothing wrong with being a Muslim, it's just that this group of people believe that all Muslims are terrorists.  There is no requirement that the President be Christian.

There's the short version for you.  It mostly boils down to these people having not voted for him and not having the same political views, so they grasp at anything they can as reasons he should be taken out of office.

#34 Edited by natetodamax (19417 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: Are you kidding me? People take a part of his speech, reverse it, and it just so happens to roughly say "serve Satan"? How do you know he intentionally said "Let me express" to secretly say "serve Satan"? That is the biggest load of bull I have ever seen in my life. You are insane.
#35 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5771 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I didn't say it would be easy to hear, all I said is it would be the truth. Keep an open mind, the evidence is right there in front of you, or for my above post.

"
I can't tell if your joking or not.
#36 Posted by CptBedlam (4479 posts) -

Because idiots also have the right to vote.

#37 Posted by CptBedlam (4479 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse said:
" @rflx said:
"Because the general public of america are fucking nutjobs. That's right, I said it.  Being religious should be a minus in politics, not a plus. "
Dumbass. "
He is totally right. Religion should be kept as far away from politics as possible. Religion in politics is a stupid charade anyway but idiots still believe it.
#38 Posted by arab_prince (2117 posts) -

America is a christian nation

#39 Edited by iKANNIBAL (602 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  Satan didn't create the horns, someone else much cooler did. 

:D 

#40 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5771 posts) -
@iKANNIBAL said:
" @HitmanAgent47:  Satan didn't create the metal horns, someone else much cooler did. 

"
It was a cover.  

He was SATAN!
#41 Posted by Zimbo (872 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:
I really hope you are trolling. You seem to be constantly spouting bullshit conspiracy theories every time I log in to the forums.
#42 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5094 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:
" @PeasantAbuse said:
" @rflx said:
Dumbass. "
He is totally right. Religion should be kept as far away from politics as possible. Religion in politics is a stupid charade anyway but idiots still believe it. "

I don't care about that, I was calling him a dumbass for calling me, many users on this forum, and the creators of this site fucking nutjobs.
#43 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (820 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
"there's only one man that should be in the President's chair: 

RON MUTHAFUCKIN PAUL!!!
"
YA GODDAMN RIGHT
#44 Posted by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  I had no idea all metalheads were part of the illuminati!!
#45 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1511 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:
Golly! That was a real eye opener. Those evil peoples must be eliminated from society.
#46 Posted by Landon (4134 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:

" @iKANNIBAL said:

" @HitmanAgent47:  Satan didn't create the metal horns, someone else much cooler did. 

"
It was a cover.   He was SATAN! "
 Just remember iKANNIBAL, SethPhotopoulos didn't say it would be easy to hear, all he said is it would be the truth. Keep an open mind, the evidence is right there in front of you.
#47 Posted by CptBedlam (4479 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse said:
" @CptBedlam said:
" @PeasantAbuse said:
" @rflx said:
Dumbass. "
He is totally right. Religion should be kept as far away from politics as possible. Religion in politics is a stupid charade anyway but idiots still believe it. "
I don't care about that, I was calling him a dumbass for calling me, many users on this forum, and the creators of this site fucking nutjobs. "
Okay, yeah it's wrong to generalize like that. But from the outside it seems sometimes as if the idiot part of the nation is completely in control of politics in the US ... no matter what party (much more obvious on the right though).
#48 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1420 posts) -

Bravo sir for fitting two of the most volatile issues(religion and politics) together into one thread.

#49 Posted by trophyhunter (6039 posts) -
@adoggz said:
" why do people have to post stupid political/religious threads on a video game web site? "

#50 Posted by yinstarrunner (1253 posts) -

They don't have to be Christian, but most of them are because they choose to or because it appeals to demographics.

That's all, that's it.  A study of what the American people are like and trying to pull in as many as you can to vote for your guy.