• 160 results
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#101  Edited By fobwashed

@golguin: This prolly depends on where you get your hair cut and from whom. If you've been going to the same place and had the same stylist/barber for a long time, you'll eventually prolly start to talk to them. It's the same with any service that you repeatedly use. Hell, I used to go to a taco bell at 2AM and it was always the same dude working there and eventually we recognized each other and we'd say "hi, what's up" with some really short chatter while my food was getting ready. And that's during what amounts to like a 10 second interaction. They want repeat business so they'll try to be friendly to bring you back in and if they cut your hair well and aren't an introvert, you might as well talk while you sit there. Then again, if you go to some chain haircut store where the employees circulate every few months and you don't even know the name of the person cutting your hair, that's different.

Also, labeling someone a gamer at this point is like labeling someone a TV watcher, music listener or book reader. The only people who would label someone those things is someone who doesn't do it and thinks they're better because of it. On the flip side, someone who does something and considers themselves better than others who do the same thing but of a lesser quality (Oh, you listen to pop music? You read Harry Potter? You watch Jersey Shore?) needs to pull that stick out of their ass and just let everyone enjoy what they enjoy. I think there's plenty of crap out there but I don't go around trying to make people feel bad for enjoying themselves.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#102  Edited By ReyGitano

As a guy, I also hate talking to girls who tell me they know people who are into games, aka Call of Duty, so you have my sympathies.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#103  Edited By golguin

@Fobwashed said:

@golguin: This prolly depends on where you get your hair cut and from whom. If you've been going to the same place and had the same stylist/barber for a long time, you'll eventually prolly start to talk to them. It's the same with any service that you repeatedly use. Hell, I used to go to a taco bell at 2AM and it was always the same dude working there and eventually we recognized each other and we'd say "hi, what's up" with some really short chatter while my food was getting ready. And that's during what amounts to like a 10 second interaction. They want repeat business so they'll try to be friendly to bring you back in and if they cut your hair well and aren't an introvert, you might as well talk while you sit there. Then again, if you go to some chain haircut store where the employees circulate every few months and you don't even know the name of the person cutting your hair, that's different.

Also, labeling someone a gamer at this point is like labeling someone a TV watcher, music listener or book reader. The only people who would label someone those things is someone who doesn't do it and thinks they're better because of it. On the flip side, someone who does something and considers themselves better than others who do the same thing but of a lesser quality (Oh, you listen to pop music? You read Harry Potter? You watch Jersey Shore?) needs to pull that stick out of their ass and just let everyone enjoy what they enjoy. I think there's plenty of crap out there but I don't go around trying to make people feel bad for enjoying themselves.

I think I've only had 4 "regulars" that cut me hair. The first was a family friend who'd come to my house with all the equipment. I believe he had a place where he worked, but he did that for many of my cousins and it continued through elementary. The second was my friend's aunt (also a family friend) and she cut my hair through middleschool up until mid highschool. The third was a lady that worked at the same place as my friend's aunt, but this was only a few years. The one I have right now I've been going to for around 5 years, but if she's busy I don't have a problem with some of the other girls doing it despite the fact that they don't do it like her. The funny thing is that I don't know the name of any of the girls working there, but my main girl knows how I want it done.

Through all the years I've never had more than a casual "Hi, what's up, how's it going" type routine with them. However, when I get a haircut in the next few weeks I'll be sure to ask the girls there if people talk to them and what they talk about.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@RVonE: Would you prefer video game player, or just player? Being a gamer simply means you play video games.  And honestly i never understood the problem some people have with the word. 
Anyway, nice blog, it made me laugh.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#105  Edited By Vinny_Says

ohh so the people who have been judged for the longest time are now themselves judging other people (dudebros) and refuse to be associated with them....pretty ironic.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@HandsomeDead said:

A true gamer only plays the unpopular games where you shoot people.
No Caption Provided

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Meowshi

I love video games, but I hate everyone who plays them.  

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Meowshi
@blacklabeldomm said:
ohh so the people who have been judged for the longest time are now themselves judging other people (dudebros) and refuse to be associated with them....pretty ironic.
Yes, I love this.   

I mean, it isn't enough that the media portrays "gamers" as antisocial, overweight, sexually repressed, Mountain Dew-drinking degenerates.  It isn't enough that a lot of people treat gaming as some sort of creepy, childish hobby; but have no problem sitting on their ass watching reality shows all day.  No, we have to go the extra mile, and attack each other for not being "real gamers". 

Well, this goes out to all my real gamers out there. *pours a can PBR on the sidewalk*  One love.
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By Ramone

If you're going to rant do it about something important.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Red hair, love of games, hates Call of Duty...

Are you my long lost twin sister perhaps?

Edit: oh and love, if only gaming conventions get you laid, you're doing it wrong, very wrong. ;)

konradbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By konradbm
@Yanngc33 said:
@ThunderSlash
So... video games...
Apparently they get you laid???
Yeah. When the fuck did this happen?

Also, COD is pretty good. And it is also a game. Not liking the people that play it doesn't justify a moralistic shifting of the term gamer so that you can take the high ground.

For the record I tend to steer clear of mutliplayer for the same reasons you judged this girls boyfriend (pretty big pre-judgement by the way) and I get what you're saying, but this 'la-dee-dah I was saving the princess and using codes to beat Contra 3 before all you jocks came and hijacked my hobby' nonsense is tired. If you choose to define yourself by how much more committed you are to a hobby than some johnny-come-lately's then you come off looking like a tool.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#113  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Who cares what they definition of gamer is, not liking someone because of his dudebro mentality is a whole different issue from whether he is a gamer or not.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Meowshi
@Mr_Skeleton said:

Who cares what they definition of gamer is, not liking someone because of his dudebro mentality is a whole different issue from whether he is a gamer or not.

Not when your definition of dudebro is "plays Call of Duty" and ends there.
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#115  Edited By Bollard

Despite all the shit your getting, I thought that was a really good read. 

Not sure if you're right in all regards, but I enjoyed the rant nonetheless!

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By NMC2008

A true gamer doesn't give himself/herself a tag to be recognized by. Gamer, Casual Gamer, Hardcore Gamer, all bullshit. Just play your games without worrying about your status.

If you want to be recognized for your status and want to always remind people and probably yourself who you are and what you do, why not go join the WWE, go be all you can be in the WWE, then come back here and tell us who you are and what you do and how talented you are at doing it.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By CaptainObvious

Radical post!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I dunno, the whole post reeks of "I wish your boyfriend was fucking me instead, I'd show him a thing or two about gamers."

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By swamplord666

Honestly, it's hard to define what it is to be a gamer... if not impossible. I get where you're coming from as i constantly get the same sinking feeling when someone says "i'm a gamer too! I must play COD X 15 hours a day!" and yet when asked which games they're looking forward to this year they reply MW3... because "that's the COD that's made by those good guys I was told!"

But at the same time, although i take a better interest in games as all my friends, I probably play a lot less than them. Who's the bigger gamer at that point? Also they have as much interest in different types of games as Machinimas' Seananners and he is a gamer and a half! and how about that WoW or CS afficionado? I consider hem gamers but they're doing everything the same as the "non-gamer" COD dudebro.

In my case, my definition lies in the active daily interest in videogames. how often and what you play doesn't matter.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#120  Edited By artofwar420

I might not agree with all the points here, but that is some nice writing seldom seen in the depths of this forum. Usually when I see a long wall of text like that I recoil in the grammatical and chronological errors that may await, but today I was happily surprised.

Oh and that WoW analogy was exquisite. I really hope you didn't plagiarize this, but props.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#121  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@SeriouslyNow said:

I dunno, the whole post reeks of "I wish your boyfriend was fucking me instead, I'd show him a thing or two about gamers."

They do more stuff...

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#122  Edited By metalmoog

Way to stereotype two people that you don't even know. The haircut is definitely not the reason you're lonely. Too bad you couldn't go ahead and visit a personality stylist instead.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

They do more stuff...

You mean anal don't you?

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By left4doof
@BoG said:
I never refer to my self as a gamer. Actually, I usually withold revealing that I play a lot of games. Not that I'm ashamed, simply that people have this perception of avid game players as people who hide like hermts in their parent's dark basement and play World of Warcraft.
How is that not being ashamed ?
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#125  Edited By raviolisumo

@Afroman269 said:

A gamer is someone who plays games. Call of Duty is a game. People recently just started to look into redefining gamer because they don't like being associated with the dude bros that play CoD. People need to stop taking things so seriously and just move on.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@SeriouslyNow said:

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

They do more stuff...

You mean anal don't you?

Tip of the iceberg.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

They do more stuff...

You mean anal don't you?

Tip of the iceberg.

That's what she said.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Afroman269
@RVonE

At any rate, I never understood why one who plays video games is called a gamer. It wasn't like that in the 80s and 90s. Do you call a person who plays chess a chesser? How about checkers? Checkerser? Is a board game player also a gamer?

It's less about the name and more about how some of the people who play games don't want to be associated with other people that play the "uncool/mainstream" games.
nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By nrain

Can this shit please stop, not acknowledging the term gamer is the step forward. People who watch films aren't called filmers and people who read books aren't called bookers, they are people who partake in a medium, I hope the same can be said of people who play games.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Devilb0y said:

@Yanngc33 said:
@ThunderSlash
So... video games...
Yeah. When the fuck did this happen?

Popularity leads to intimacy...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Ravenlight

@Devilb0y said:

@Yanngc33 said:
@ThunderSlash
So... video games...
Yeah. When the fuck did this happen? Also, COD is pretty good. And it is also a game. Not liking the people that play it doesn't justify a moralistic shifting of the term gamer so that you can take the high ground. For the record I tend to steer clear of mutliplayer for the same reasons you judged this girls boyfriend (pretty big pre-judgement by the way) and I get what you're saying, but this 'la-dee-dah I was saving the princess and using codes to beat Contra 3 before all you jocks came and hijacked my hobby' nonsense is tired. If you choose to define yourself by how much more committed you are to a hobby than some johnny-come-lately's then you come off looking like a tool.

You needed codes to beat Contra 3. I say you are not a true gamer.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#132  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@fembotbeck: To be fair, Halo and Portal are about the only games my girlfriend could tell you that I played. Maybe Dragon Age because of that time we...

My point being, if your girl isn't into games, she probably won't give a rats ass what you play, so only the recognizable ones will come out.

That said, I really hope he is exactly that jackass. I can't wait until anyone who has sex is called a "sexer". Gamer is already there, mind as well apply that rule to everything else. Next thing you know, anyone who kills someone'll be a killer. Talk about unfair! It was one time guys, jesus!

PS: Write more shit, I'll read it. I dig the way you write. So tired of reading shit form assholes like me who don't even try to make the actual writing palatable.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By GaspoweR

@Ghostiet said:

I like wearing baseball caps backwards, but I don't like Call of Duty.

WHERE IS MY PLACE IN THE WORLD

Do you also wear faded brim visors up side down and sideways and drink Natty Ice?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#134  Edited By Ghostiet
@GaspoweR said:

@Ghostiet said:

I like wearing baseball caps backwards, but I don't like Call of Duty.

WHERE IS MY PLACE IN THE WORLD

Do you also wear faded brim visors up side down and sideways and drink Natty Ice?

We don't have anything like that in Poland and I hate brim visors.

YOU ARE NOT HELPING

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I also play tons of various stuff including COD games but I also thought Bastion was way overrated. I guess it  would have never worked out between us :(
* Though a Fallout Road trip would be kinda cool although you have to drive a 1973 Ford Falcon for the full enjoyment.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#136  Edited By Thor_Molecules
seeing as this is pretty much the only week of the year a nerd girl like me can actually get laid,

Stopped reading there. That's some bullshit of the highest order.

You girls are probably the holy grail for 75% of men out there, and you know it all too well.

BEGONE!

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#137  Edited By Kazona

As funny as your little rant was, you come across as kinda snobbish to me. Just because someone plays Call of Duty doesn't mean they're the generic stereotype that you peg him for. You've never even met the guy, so how can you possibly form any kind of opinion about him? Unless you have a general hatred for all who play CoD of course, then, naturally, you would form such a negative opinion about someone you've never met, based on something entirely trivial a random stranger tells you.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Deusx
@kmdrkul said:
Get off your high horse.
THIS.  

I don't know how to feel about your whole post OP. You know how to write that's for sure but this sure seems like copy pasta to me.
thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By thornie_delete

I just came in to say that I was born with a joystick in my hand, and have been playing games since my dad brought home a C64 for me when I was young boy. Since then, I've played 1000s of games and am proud and very open about my hobby. For as much as I love Bastion, Mass Effect, Fallout, and the near 200 hours I've spent traversing the lush planes of Cyrodiil in Oblivion, I have no reservations about cracking open a beer in front of my 52" plasma and playing some COD/Battlefield. I don't judge you for being a female gamer, and you shouldn't judge those "bro's" who enjoy kicking it to Madden or COD.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is gamer gonna be like the word nigger now?

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Meowshi
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

sigh
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By mnzy
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

Did you really just use the g-word?
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By ninjakiller

I play angry birds. I'm a gamer.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#144  Edited By lethalki11ler
@Afroman269 said:

A gamer is someone who plays games. Call of Duty is a game. People recently just started to look into redefining gamer because they don't like being associated with the dude bros that play CoD. People need to stop taking things so seriously and just move on.

This
matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By matoya

Oh fuck you

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#146  Edited By veektarius

You sure do run off at the mouth at the slightest mention of video games, it seems to me.

gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By gexecuter

I think trying to define what is a gamer is kinda lame, at the end of the day who gives a shit it doesn't mean anything., i also think the term itself isn't needed. Oh and there's gotta be a better way to get laid other than going to cons, seriously if you would use the internet i bet you would find an endless supply of lonely guys, just saying.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imayellowfellow said:

you are probably fat

/thread. Holy fuck sir, you have not only won a follow, but my undying respect.

servothx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By servothx
@fembotbeck: Bravo! This thread has brightened my day after reading some of these responses. Redheads are the best.  

Funny to see how it has changed from Madden being that "dude-bro" thing to now COD. Still miss my old Atari days... 
konradbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By konradbm
@Ravenlight said:

@Devilb0y said:

@Yanngc33 said:
@ThunderSlash
So... video games...
Yeah. When the fuck did this happen? Also, COD is pretty good. And it is also a game. Not liking the people that play it doesn't justify a moralistic shifting of the term gamer so that you can take the high ground. For the record I tend to steer clear of mutliplayer for the same reasons you judged this girls boyfriend (pretty big pre-judgement by the way) and I get what you're saying, but this 'la-dee-dah I was saving the princess and using codes to beat Contra 3 before all you jocks came and hijacked my hobby' nonsense is tired. If you choose to define yourself by how much more committed you are to a hobby than some johnny-come-lately's then you come off looking like a tool.

You needed codes to beat Contra 3. I say you are not a true gamer.

I needed those 21 lives so bad it hurt.
I've brought shame upon my family.