#1 Posted by Aegon (5117 posts) -

You need a certain type of email and you need to be approved after that. I have an educational email address, but I like my anonymity. I don't like the fact that I'll be giving away info on where I'm going to school and who I am just to join a forum about vidja gaemz. There seems to be a lot of bombers who use that site so it looks like fun, but why must it be so difficult to get in?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34603 posts) -

Because they don't want the Internet creeping in....I hope you know what I mean by that.

#3 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

Because it's exclusive. It's a good thing because it makes for less trolls, no spammers, less idiots (since there's at least the minimum threshold of having a non free email address). There are reasons why it's a bad thing, too, but that's how it is.

The reason why you want to particularly join Gaf is because it's so exclusive. If it wasn't, it'd just be another video game forum like ours, GameFaqs or any other, so why would it be so important to join theirs?

#4 Posted by adoggz (1952 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Because they don't want the Internet creeping in....I hope you know what I mean by that.

too late

#5 Edited by Aegon (5117 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

The reason why you want to join Gaf so bad is because it's so exclusive. If it wasn't, it'd just be another video game forum like ours and GameFaqs, so why would it be so important to join theirs?

I know, that's why I hate this whole situation.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Because it's exclusive. It's a good thing because it makes for less trolls, no spammers, less idiots (since there's at least the minimum threshold of having a non free email address). There are reasons why it's a bad thing, too, but that's how it is.

The reason why you want to particularly join Gaf is because it's so exclusive. If it wasn't, it'd just be another video game forum like ours, GameFaqs or any other, so why would it be so important to join theirs?

come now, it's not like there's less idiots.

#7 Posted by Droop (1792 posts) -

Don't bother, it ain't worth the wait.

#8 Posted by Aegon (5117 posts) -

Hold up, question time: Do you guys go under the same usernames over on GAF?

#9 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

@Animasta said:

come now, it's not like there's less idiots.

There definitely is. It's fun to hate on NeoGAF and think of it as any other video game forum, but it isn't. There are definitely idiots and jerks there like any other forum, but the strict moderation plus its inherent exclusivity makes for a higher barrier to entry, naturally making for less 12 year olds and such who make an account on forums and then proceed to make a dozen generic threads.

@Aegon said:

I know, that's why I hate this whole situation.

Well, it is how it is. Plus, we've already had this exact thread: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/cant-create-a-neogaf-account-with-a-free-email-address-why/548343/

#10 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Accountability

#11 Posted by Xolare (1257 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

Accountability

Punny.

#12 Posted by WMWA (1159 posts) -
@Aegon

I do
#13 Edited by CptBedlam (4439 posts) -

@Aegon said:

Almost, no "Cpt", just "Bedlam".

My desire to post there is not huge though. So far I only posted in one or two threads.

#14 Posted by Cloneslayer (1606 posts) -

its just Gaf, who cares?

#15 Posted by Hailinel (22708 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ It also breeds an atmosphere and attitude of inflated, unwarranted self-importance.
#16 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ It also breeds an atmosphere and attitude of inflated, unwarranted self-importance.

Yep, I don't disagree with that. Often displayed when members there make fun of "Juniors".

#17 Edited by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

Because they're pretentious assholes. *wink to the GiantBomb thread on NeoGaf I'm totally reading right now*

#18 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Gaf is a shithole, just like most gaming forums regardless of whether they are controlled or not.

#19 Posted by stinky (1545 posts) -

ever read this forum? its kinda shitty like all net forums.

doing what they can to make it better.

#20 Posted by VitaminWaterYum (381 posts) -

NeoGAF is the worst. Those guys don't do anything but think they're "all that". Ugh, I wish that website never existed!

#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Is anyone else drowning in Irony?

#22 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -
#23 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

That site sucks.

If you disagree with the mods, they ban you. And I hear the community there is full of a bunch of whiny bitches. I mean... we have our fair share of whiny bitches, but we aint got nothing on NeoGAF. Also... there site looks like something that crawled out of the 90's.

#24 Posted by A_Pretty_Panda (26 posts) -
@NlGHTCRAWLER: same thing happen to me dude it's alright we have this place
#25 Posted by 49th (2543 posts) -

Looks like we can communicate with NeoGaf through this thread.

I come in peace, also video games.

#26 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

I think it's a great source of news and the community threads are great as well .

I think I was axcepted on 3 weeks or so but hey there are plenty of places to discuss ganes

#27 Posted by Alucrid (12 posts) -

I bet the entire neogaf forum is looking at this thread laughing at us right now.

#28 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

I don't know too much about them to have any real opinion but as far as I'm concerned the internet's a giant shit hole no matter where you're parked at.

#29 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@A_Pretty_Panda said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: same thing happen to me dude it's alright we have this place

But I miss it soo much.... :'(

#30 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

What kind of email do you need in order to register?

#31 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

This is weird, but if that one EmCeeGramr person is referring to me concerning that locked thread, I have the compulsion to reply something akin to:

"If that thread doesn't prove that gaf is full of pedophiles, then neither does odd fan art involving the staff members prove that Giant Bomb is full of "creeps"."

@Mr_Skeleton said:

What kind of email do you need in order to register?

Ones that you can't obtain freely; typically ISP provided emails or work/school specific emails.

#32 Posted by LumpOfCole (49 posts) -

During the Great Internet War of 2006, source code and GUI interfaces were strung out in rubble all across the netscape. It took the blood, sweat, and tears of General Frederick Neo and his son Sergeant William Gafferton to forge an exclusive e-club for themselves and a select few bros. The circle has slowly expanded into letting only the most trustworthy of newcomers in, but even these Junior Members are subject to the harsh laws of GAF's institution of Eternal Martial Law (EML). It is because of EML that GAF enjoys its exclusive status and direct discussion with writers and developers of highly esteemed gaming culture. GAF is the Red Lobster of Internet forums, where folks journey from across land and sea just to taste (and contribute) to GAF's figurative Crab Linguini Alfredo. Whenever one posts to GAF, it is not uncommon to shed a single tear of pride for the site and the honor it is to post amongst similar geniuses and heroes. It is the dream of all GAF members that the GAF spirit will take the rest of the Internet to promote civility, and then take the world to ensure world peace. If General Frederick Neo and Sergeant William Gafferton were alive to see the treasure and hope that GAF has become, they would assuredly salute the honor that the site has built for itself. They would be proud.

#33 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@Alucrid said:

I bet the entire neogaf forum is looking at this thread laughing at us right now.

Oh come here you. Let me confide in you with some of our official Giantbomb secrets.

#34 Posted by VitaminWaterYum (381 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Ha, so NeoGAF members are looking at this thread over at their own Giant Bomb thread. I feel observed.

In any case, they like to often make fun of how "creepy" we are, but I can just refer to their very own thread dangerously approaching pedophilia as well. Yeah, we're creepy.

Sheesh, what a bunch of creepy peepers.

I found that image on their website, I mean seriously. What the hell? First they have a thread where they all acknowledge they they're pedophiles, and now this?

#35 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Also the gb staff post there more than their own boards for some reason

#36 Posted by A_Pretty_Panda (26 posts) -

we should restart the war with those jerks. it'll be like the war of 1812 where the british invaded the US to try and show them what for

#37 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@A_Pretty_Panda: The war with Comicvine was much more subtle than this. It's like... you guys aren't even trying.

#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

Also the gb staff post there more than their own boards for some reason

Happens with a lot of websites, it seems. I remember when 1UP was a thing and members of their community complained about that. Though, I'm pretty sure Jeff posts more here than he does on NeoGAF. Brad posts more over there, but it's mostly to correct people or respond to people who he thinks interpreted something the staff said incorrectly.

#39 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

Hey GAF, if you're reading this

SUCK ON MY BAAAALLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#40 Posted by AssInAss (2400 posts) -

Who watches the watchmen. *I'm on Neogaf too :D *

#41 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@Milkman said:

#42 Posted by A_Pretty_Panda (26 posts) -
@NlGHTCRAWLER: i'm kind of not lol.
#43 Edited by A_Pretty_Panda (26 posts) -

and you know who else posts there? former intern ben. what a traitor (not sure if he posts here though)

#44 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2460 posts) -

@VitaminWaterYum: That was posted on GB 2 months ago.

#45 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@A_Pretty_Panda: No.. not really.

#46 Edited by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

A lot of hate on Gaf here it seems, I actually really like it, wish I was a member.

Hey, snoopeasystreet! Are you also gonna change your name to something with cats? Snoopstreetcat.

#47 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

@A_Pretty_Panda said:

and you know who else posts there? former intern ben. what a traitor

That's, uh... that's simply amazing.

#48 Edited by Aegon (5117 posts) -

Shit, this is like if the US overheard the Russians Spying on them spying on the Russians.

Also, this:

@Milkman said:

#49 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

I post there sparingly under the same name. It's great for getting a run down of news quickly because it's usually as fast or faster than most news websites. OT can be amusing at times too. There is a definite pecking order around there unfortunately, even among non-junior members and I'm sure that discourages a lot of posrters, myself included, from expressing a dissenting opinion in some threads. All Neogaf users are not created equal!

#50 Posted by RedUFO (19 posts) -

I am posting on both NeoGAF and Giant Bomb at the same time. Isn't that magical?