#101 Posted by RedUFO (19 posts) -

@Patryn said:

@FluxWaveZ: Are you seriously that bothered by what we say in the GB thread on GAF?

You shouldn't taken it seriously. Lord knows I really don't.

I think that's the thing I find craziest about this. I hope nobody sees my posting in this thread as malicious, because it really isn't. It's just kind of amusing how much venom some of the people in here have for another internet message board where nerds talk about video games.

#102 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Crushed said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I think it would have been best if I had posted that comment differently, because my point wasn't to be defensive but to point out irony. There they are generalizing and being "Oh look how the GB forums are full of creeps" and then here I am pointing out that NeoGAF thread and then they say "Oh look, they're ignorant and think we're a bunch of pedophiles!" They have no perspective of themselves, and that's frustrating.

That's kind of generalizing, isn't it? And this forum CAN get kind of creepy at times, it's not just that picture. There was the "WHICH GB GUY DO YOU WANT TO BE YOUR DAD" thread and others that got really really weird.

THAT'S MY ENTIRE POINT. I'm sarcastically utilizing that underage girl thread as a counter-argument to show just how stupid their argument that "we're all creeps" is based on a single goddamn thread.

And in the same breath, you're doing just that: generalizing. Yeah, okay, I'll concede that these forums can get creepy at times. There's that one cannibalism thread about which staff member you'd eat which is pretty gross. Does that mean that NeoGAF is this pure, untouched and innocent place? Hell no. They have their share of creepy threads, but I at least have the sense to differentiate those from a fucking collective instead of claiming that their entire community is tainted like they do to ours.

Argues that it's wrong to judge an entire community based on a thread.

Uses a single person (questioning your use of a single thread as generalization) as proof that every one of the 79,000 members of NeoGAF has no self awareness.

The irony.

#103 Posted by Alucrid (12 posts) -

@Itwastuesday said:

I was going to play games, but now I can't take my eyes off of this thread and the Neogaf thread, as people shitpost on both to try and figure out which forum is the worst.

it's reddit

#104 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -

@Alucrid said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I mean, it's not as though NeoGAF seriously had a thread about a guy discovering RealDolls.

you sure do lurk neogaf a lot

Well, yeah? Should I be ashamed of that? I go through Gaf probably as much as I go through Giant Bomb. Their Off-Topic forums has a lot of fun topics at times and I also enjoy reading through their gaming threads like LTTPs or OTs to games that interest me. I know several members there by name/avatar and I just generally love NeoGAF.

So, what's with the statement?

@Crushed said:

Argues that it's wrong to judge an entire community based on a thread.

Uses a single person (questioning your use of a single thread as generalization) as proof that every one of the 79,000 members of NeoGAF has no self awareness.

The irony.

True, guess I made the mistake of generalizing there as well. Well, I can at least say that was in response to a few statements over there instead of it being uncalled for! But yeah, apologies for my own generalization to their own.

#105 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

I would give my account to someone here, but it's tied to my work email...so sorry. Can't do it. I may get around to posting there often one day

#106 Posted by Brodehouse (10127 posts) -

Hi NeoGAF.

#107 Posted by RedUFO (19 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Seriously? I thought I checked though.....

I hate myself right now.

Yep, for a few months now. Better luck next time buddy.

#108 Posted by Patryn (10 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Hi.

#109 Posted by Alucrid (12 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Alucrid said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I mean, it's not as though NeoGAF seriously had a thread about a guy discovering RealDolls.

you sure do lurk neogaf a lot

Well, yeah? Should I be ashamed of that? I go through Gaf probably as much as I go through Giant Bomb. Their Off-Topic forums has a lot of fun topics at times and I also enjoy reading through their gaming threads like LTTPs or OTs to games that interest me. I know several members their by name/avatar and I just generally love NeoGAF.

So, what's with the statement?

then, as crushed pointed out, you should realize that threads about who you want your dad to be isn't reflective on this forum as a whole one person's statements isn't representative as neogaf as a whole, hivemind jokes aside.

#110 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

oh right, neogaf is here. i forgot because i was too busy figuring out which staff member i wanted to be my sister and grandmother. (Vinny by the way)

#111 Posted by stupei (22 posts) -

@Itwastuesday: Posting on a forum instead of playing games? Maybe you should rethink your stance on GAF, dude; you'd fit right in.

#112 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@adoggz said:

oh right, neogaf is here. i forgot because i was too busy figuring out which staff member i wanted to be my sister and grandmother. (Vinny by the way)

brb making that thread.
#113 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

They made a thread about this on NeoGaf?  Wow, thats not pretentious at all......  Ugh I can sense all that shitty entitlement coming from that site. 

#114 Posted by Typographenia (58 posts) -

I never took any of the "Those people on the GB forums!" stuff to ever be serious. I thought it was all very much just joking around. You know, like Funky Student. Well, maybe not like that, but yeah.

#115 Edited by Itwastuesday (982 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Of course not, they're posting in the Neogaf Giantbomb thread.

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Alucrid said:

arguments

craziness

what is even going on in this thread

#116 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -

@Alucrid said:

then, as crushed pointed out, you should realize that threads about who you want your dad to be isn't reflective on this forum as a whole one person's statements isn't representative as neogaf as a whole, hivemind jokes aside.

Yeah, again I think I get too on the defensive when it comes to this kind of stuff. It sucks to always have those few users making generalizations, but I guess that's the case anywhere, like I had the mistake of doing back there. I'll drop it... except for this:

@A_Pretty_Panda: Hey, you're not that brilliant either, dude. Posting in another community's thread—a community other than you usually post on—just to get a rise out of that community? Yeah, I think I'd get my head out of my ass if I were you.

#117 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

They all suck in their own way. I learned a long time ago to ignore most of what goes on in forums, as it's 99% of the time just people complaining about something without knowing all the facts or just trolling.

#118 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3242 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

They all suck in their own way. I learned a long time ago to ignore most of what goes on in forums, as it's 99% of the time just people complaining about something without knowing all the facts or just trolling.

I feel what you mean, but I don't think we have that too much here.

#119 Posted by Stink_Meaner (64 posts) -

It's not hard to get in, but I'll admit it's a hell of a lot better than most forums.

#120 Posted by backlot (1 posts) -

@Apparatus_Unearth said:

@crusader8463 said:

Certainly not in this thread, nope!

#121 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

I got perma'd for saying being white in America is a privilege. A few days earlier there was a thread about white privilege where anyone who suggested white privilege wasn't a big deal was shot full of pithy comments.

Tough being a junior is all I'm saying.

#122 Edited by Aegon (5821 posts) -

HEY GUYS!

I WOULD LIKE TO REMIND YOU THAT MY INITIAL IMPRESSION OF NEOGAF WAS THAT IT WAS FUN, BUT THE REQUIREMENTS TO GET IN KINDA SUCK.

Also, the bombcast is way late guys. At least you're distracted if you're reading this.

#123 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@RedUFO said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Seriously? I thought I checked though.....

I hate myself right now.

Yep, for a few months now. Better luck next time buddy.

Yeah... I quit this war. I'm not very good at it. And now I think I might be dyslexic.

#124 Posted by Calculating_Infinity (63 posts) -

@VitaminWaterYum said:

NeoGAF is the worst. Those guys don't do anything but think they're "all that". Ugh, I wish that website never existed!

me too, i think they are all big poo poo head.

#125 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

NeoGAF is one of the banes of the industry. I truly despise that site; not because of the elitism*, it is instead due to how much that site hurts the entire gaming industry. Alike to Metacritic, people have actually lost jobs due to that forum. Not to mention all of their “leaks” and “sources” which plague the industry on false information and can kill a title before they even start development on it.

Other forums may have more spammers and annoying idiots but at least they can say that their forum hasn’t affected real life jobs. (NeoGAF does still have idiotic users though; in fact while they won’t care to admit, they are an extremely meme-heavy forum).

NeoGAF does have some great things in it and some good, pleasant users (although they are still in the minority) but I hate that site on pure principle and it doesn’t have anything significantly better than other sites to warrant sticking around it and ignoring its faults. My dislike of it is purely on about 1% of it which does that stuff but man is it despicable (along with all other sites which promote such shitty fake leaks and such - I'm looking at you Kotaku) but I can't overcome it for the 99% which are likely just normal human beings who just want to talk about videogames.

*(Which there assuredly is: if Reddit is the closest thing we will ever get to equality on the internet – which I damn sure hope it isn’t, that has problems too – then NeoGAF comparatively has the hierarchy of an Ancient Egyptian dynasty).

#126 Posted by JDillinger (163 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle: Hmm.. Why do I not believe you?

Also lol at this thread.

#127 Posted by RedUFO (19 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Yeah... I quit this war. I'm not very good at it. And now I think I might be dyslexic.

It's not a 'war' dude, and don't get yourself down, I just thought it was a funny mistake :)

#128 Posted by Calculating_Infinity (63 posts) -

@Aegon said:

HEY GUYS!

I WOULD LIKE TO REMIND YOU THAT MY INITIAL IMPRESSION OF NEOGAF WAS THAT IT WAS FUN, BUT THE REQUIREMENTS TO GET IN KINDA SUCK.

Also, the bombcast is way late guys. At least you're distracted if you're reading this.

The requirement might kind of suck, but it helps on the amount of trolls and people getting back in who has been banned.

#129 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

Oh look, it's this thread again.

#130 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

@backlot said:

@Apparatus_Unearth said:

@crusader8463 said:

Certainly not in this thread, nope!

Any forum is mostly just people posting their opinions on random topics. The sad fact is that we all form opinions on anything/everything without knowing the facts most of the time. What makes it so hard online is that people tend to get super defensive when others point out that they are wrong or the person who points it out does so in such a dickish way that the person keeps disagreeing just to spite him for being such a dick about it. Then it spirals into a flame war of one side never giving any ground on a topic until one side gets bored and walks away.

#131 Posted by RedUFO (19 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

NeoGAF is one of the banes of the industry. I truly despise that site; not because of the elitism*, it is instead due to how much that site hurts the entire gaming industry. Alike to Metacritic, people have actually lost jobs due to that forum. Not to mention all of their “leaks” and “sources” which plague the industry on false information and can kill a title before they even start development on it.

Other forums may have more spammers and annoying idiots but at least they can say that their forum hasn’t affected real life jobs. (NeoGAF does still have idiotic users though; in fact while they won’t care to admit, they are an extremely meme-heavy forum).

NeoGAF does have some great things in it and some good, pleasant users (although they are still in the minority) but I hate that site on pure principle and it doesn’t have anything significantly better than other sites to warrant sticking around it and ignoring its faults. My dislike of it is purely on about 1% of it which does that stuff but man is it despicable (along with all other sites which promote such shitty fake leaks and such - I'm looking at you Kotaku) but I can't overcome it for the 99% which are likely just normal human beings who just want to talk about videogames.

*(Which there assuredly is: if Reddit is the closest thing we will ever get to equality on the internet – which I damn sure hope it isn’t, that has problems too – then NeoGAF comparatively has the hierarchy of an Ancient Egyptian dynasty).

I think you are overestimating how much of an affect GAF has, I'm pretty sure developers and publishers don't look to it for approval. GAF doesn't 'promote' fake leaks, it is a forum, it's users discuss whatever leaks, fake or not, they want.

#132 Posted by Seroth (726 posts) -

There are a few people on NeoGAF who get all hissy whenever you call the Persona 4 Protagonist "Charlie Tunoku." That's kinda weird.

#133 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Oh look, it's this thread again.

I wonder if you're the only one who posted in this thread who got perma'd over there when you weren't a Junior. I think it's interesting.

Though, yeah, I think this is the third or fourth major thread we've had on Gaf.

#134 Posted by Alucrid (12 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

i don't know if they had their way mass effect 3 would have had a new ending

#135 Posted by TheSlothKing (333 posts) -

Hey Gaf, the vita is dead.

#136 Posted by Alucrid (12 posts) -

@TheSlothKing said:

i just got this email from atlus "The long awaited fourth of the Growlanser saga is finally here! (and it works on Vita)" so i don't think that's true

#137 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@JDillinger: Yeah man sour grapes for sure. Check out my 500 word poutfest on the facebook page.

#138 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

@Jolt92 said:

Because they're pretentious assholes. *wink to the GiantBomb thread on NeoGaf I'm totally reading right now*

put your gb thread on gb

*winks back. "you sly fox you."

#139 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Alucrid said:

@Dixavd said:

Technically, it did get a new ending.

#140 Posted by Warchief (661 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@skyebaron said:

This is the average male poster on gaf:

enough said

The fuck? Anywho I joined NeoGaf about 2 years ago. I honestly love the site and its "restrictions" on getting in. The best part is you have to essentially use a company email address so it keeps a lot of folks in check [and if you are a dick you get banned]. Hate NeoGAF if you want but to me its an oasis on the internet.

#141 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

@RedUFO: It is more to do with how Leaks in general really hurt companies and employees (I have personally known someone who lost their job working in a completely different industry due to a badly publicised leak which was completely false - I am certain it has happened in the video game industry too) and NeoGAF just happens to be a forum full of industry people who have access to this sort of stuff (or have the authority to make people think they do) and thus when someone in that forum makes up a rumour then they are actually listened to unlike in most others. It is a legitimate downside of gating off the community and giving it a fake authorities position. My anger isn't really against the users of the site - more towards the entire system behind it breeding this out.

#142 Posted by stupei (22 posts) -

@Alucrid said:

@TheSlothKing said:

i just got this email from atlus "The long awaited fourth of the Growlanser saga is finally here! (and it works on Vita)" so i don't think that's true

"May not be immediately accessible via Vita store." Heh.

#143 Posted by Aegon (5821 posts) -

@WoodenLung (GAF) said:

I just really don't like the forum itself, as in the software. Seems so shitty.
#144 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@Itwastuesday said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Of course not, they're posting in the Neogaf Giantbomb thread.

Ah nevermind then.  I just checked out that thread and it doesnt seem that bad.  I thought they were acting like the users from Comic Vine or something.  
#145 Posted by Alucrid (12 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Alucrid said:

@Dixavd said:

Technically, it did get a new ending.

it was extended, not revised

#146 Posted by Calculating_Infinity (63 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@WoodenLung (GAF) said:

I just really don't like the forum itself, as in the software. Seems so shitty.

That was me. Sorry but shitty might be harsh, but it's just hard not to prefer vbulletin so much more and not bother with custom created ones like this.

#147 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

NeoGAF made Justin McElroy freak out on twitter, that was fun. I dunno how you guys could hate on a forum that does that.

#148 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

I'm just gonna respond to posts in the neogaf bombcast topic here because i am bors without my bombcast.

Skytylz, you are right on about the moderation here.

Jintor, people are TOTALLY taking this seriously.

vitaminwateryum, WTF is that? I'm scared it they will eat my soul.

slightconfuse, no we cant.

Felix lighter, what if they are and you just dont know it? DUN DUN DUN!

ok, that was not entertaining.

#149 Posted by Warchief (661 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

Just so you know NeoGaf is made up of a lot of folks who in fact work in "the industry"

#150 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Ah nevermind then. I just checked out that thread and it doesnt seem that bad. I thought they were acting like the users from Comic Vine or something.

Ah... so searching for it, this was the famous Giant Bomb and Comicvine war. Ha, neat, I vaguely remember that.