#201 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@TheSlothKing:

I'd be up for a war with GAF.
#202 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

@Aegon said:

Hold up, question time: Do you guys go under the same usernames over on GAF?

Nope, over there it's DennnisDyack. The first N is silent.

@DoctorWelch: Accountabilly.

#203 Edited by jerseyscum (925 posts) -

@FiestaUnicorn said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ It also breeds an atmosphere and attitude of inflated, unwarranted self-importance.

That's enough of your accuracy!!! Also I've read through some of their threads and many posts are rambling and unintelligent. People often mistake people who have a lot to say with someone who's worth listening too.

Ugh. They really want a fucking work or school email address just to post on a goddamn message board?! They can take their stupid website and shove it up their smug asses! You want a DNA sample and my credit history while you're at it? And nothing's better than overzealous, ban-happy moderators.

I'm happy here with the unwashed masses at Giant Bomb. At least I'm probably not going to get permabanned here for having an unpopular opinion. Fucking velvet-rope syndrome on a message board. The sheer nerve!

#204 Edited by mandude (2666 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

@FiestaUnicorn said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ It also breeds an atmosphere and attitude of inflated, unwarranted self-importance.

That's enough of your accuracy!!! Also I've read through some of their threads and many posts are rambling and unintelligent. People often mistake people who have a lot to say with someone who's worth listening too.

Ugh. They really want a fucking work or school email address just to post on a goddamn message board?! They can take their stupid website and shove it up their smug asses! You want a fucking DNA sample and my credit history while you're at it? And nothing's better than overzealous, ban-happy moderators.

I'm happy here with the unwashed masses at Giant Bomb. At least I'm probably not going to get permabanned here for having an unpopular opinion. Fucking velvet-rope syndrome on a message board. The sheer nerve!

Be careful of what you say about them. I heard that over at NeoGAF, they're so banhappy, that they'll find a way to ban you from another forum.

#205 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: What? I wasnt being sarcastic at all. Its hard to tell over the internet but I remember lurking Comic Vine and I think I saw your username like last year.

Well that's pretty awesome. I thought you were referring to my name being Nightcrawler which is sort of obvious.

#206 Posted by Marokai (3146 posts) -

Because if you create something that people can't have, then a lot of people want to have it. Sites with exclusive entry and "tougher" (aka, arbitrary) moderation exist to make the people therein seem special and more important than members of free sites that let in all the unclean rabble. It's the sort of cliquish bullshit I don't need as an adult. The best cure is to pay it no mind. 

The irony of a lot of sites with more exclusive acceptance like NeoGaf or SomethingAwful, is that they tend to end up bad not because of the exclusivity itself, but because the image they want to uphold ends up leading to a lot of bullshit moderating that jumps the gun more often than not, unwelcome attitudes towards newbies, and groupthink; ironic because these communities are presumably created to be an "oasis" or a "free thinking zone" from the rest of the evil uneducated and vulgar. People end up constantly watching their behavior not because they want to keep themselves acting mature but because if you step out of the sort of mob mentality that pervades a site like SomethingAwful, you're immediately targeted as an undesirable and harassed, not for doing anything bad, but simply for standing out or saying things that others don't like.  

Free sites like Giant Bomb may be harder to get yourself noticed in, but they're infinitely better for free and open discussion because people don't have to be scared shitless about, not maintaining maturity and order, but about following the specific social etiquette of the site in question. Structured and equally applied rules trump arbitrary and unequally applied rules, and that's why I choose not to participate in sites where I could get in trouble, not for anything I do that's out of line, but just for being who I am. Sites like Giant Bomb may have a bit more bullshit that you have to wade through, but at least when you don't follow the site's culture, say something unpopular, or disagree with a moderator, you're not going to get the banhammer on NeoGaf or pay2troll harassment from SomethingAwful.

#207 Posted by Sweep (8978 posts) -

@Aegon said:

Yep.

#208 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Aegon said:

Yep.

TRAITOR!

(can you get me back in er what?)

#209 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

It didn't seem that hard to get in, I mean, I got in. It just takes quite a while since they seem to only do activations in waves. Personally, I haven't really got in the habit of checking NeoGAF though, so my account is kind of collecting dust but oh well. I do the same with my SA account now.

#210 Posted by synt4x (160 posts) -

@Marokai: You're not gonna get banned from GAF if you disagree with a moderator's opinion. Nor will you get banned if you don't "follow the culture", whatever that means. You're also not gonna get banned if you say something unpopular. I don't get where this comes from. Don't equate GAF with SA.

If you do say something unpopular, people will argue with you over it just like anywhere else. And if you're an asshole about it, then you might get banned. That's it. If you're an asshole or break the rules, you'll be banned. And since you need to provide a non-free email address, which is likely your school or work email meaning it will be much harder to just re-register if you're banned, people have less incentive to be assholes and will instead attempt to discuss things in a civil manner with actual arguments and stuff, or alternatively just stay out of the discussion if they don't have anything of value to add besides being condescending.

As usual when people disagree though, it can get pretty heated and that can lead to name calling and bullshit like that and that will inevitably lead to a ban because name calling is a definite no-no on GAF. Thankfully that's a pretty rare occurance. If one has an unpopular opinion though, or disagrees with someone, one needs to be prepared to argue for it. If one can't argue for that opinion he's gonna look like a fool, again just like anywhere else including real life, and other members will probably make fun of him. If one does argue for it and they still make fun of him, then the arguments were probably weak or the opinion was stupid to begin with.

Also it's pretty hard to get permabanned from GAF I'd say. You need to really piss people off or continually break the rules despite warnings for that to happen. Mostly when a member gets banned it's a tempban. Junior Members on the other hand only get one shot and they're gone, but I think that's fair because a lot of new juniors really are assholes who don't know how to behave.

#211 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: What? I wasnt being sarcastic at all. Its hard to tell over the internet but I remember lurking Comic Vine and I think I saw your username like last year.

Well that's pretty awesome. I thought you were referring to my name being Nightcrawler which is sort of obvious.

Ohhhh, at first I didnt even know why you pointed it out!  
#212 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -

I actually wish the moderates around here were more willing to ban people.

#213 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

It's not hard if you have a paid email. After reading a post similar to this one I went and signed up and was accepted after two days. I now have an account that I'm never going to use.

#214 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

Hello neogaf! Let's make war but I rather we make love!

#215 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

It's not hard if you have a paid email. After reading a post similar to this one I went and signed up and was accepted after two days. I now have an account that I'm never going to use.

Some people have had to wait between 6 months and a year to have their account approved.

#216 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I have an account, I just never know what to say. I like the culture here because I understand it. I have no idea what I'm walking into when I visit NeoGAF.

#217 Posted by OldGuy (1575 posts) -

I've always followed the Groucho Marx Credo: "I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."

#218 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Some people have had to wait between 6 months and a year to have their account approved.

Just to join a fucking forum? That's kind of insane.

#219 Posted by Simulacrum (458 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

I've been waiting for almost two years to get mine approved.

#220 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Yeah, here's a thread on various members' waiting times. The delay definitely varies a lot because it depends on the administrator's willingness to go through sign-ups and stuff.

#221 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

And there's still a chance your account may not get approved.

Either way this thread provided some lulz when reading along with the GAF thread.

#222 Posted by Athadam (704 posts) -
@Marokai said:
Because if you create something that people can't have, then a lot of people want to have it. Sites with exclusive entry and "tougher" (aka, arbitrary) moderation exist to make the people therein seem special and more important than members of free sites that let in all the unclean rabble. It's the sort of cliquish bullshit I don't need as an adult. The best cure is to pay it no mind.  The irony of a lot of sites with more exclusive acceptance like NeoGaf or SomethingAwful, is that they tend to end up bad not because of the exclusivity itself, but because the image they want to uphold ends up leading to a lot of bullshit moderating that jumps the gun more often than not, unwelcome attitudes towards newbies, and groupthink; ironic because these communities are presumably created to be an "oasis" or a "free thinking zone" from the rest of the evil uneducated and vulgar. People end up constantly watching their behavior not because they want to keep themselves acting mature but because if you step out of the sort of mob mentality that pervades a site like SomethingAwful, you're immediately targeted as an undesirable and harassed, not for doing anything bad, but simply for standing out or saying things that others don't like.   Free sites like Giant Bomb may be harder to get yourself noticed in, but they're infinitely better for free and open discussion because people don't have to be scared shitless about, not maintaining maturity and order, but about following the specific social etiquette of the site in question. Structured and equally applied rules trump arbitrary and unequally applied rules, and that's why I choose not to participate in sites where I could get in trouble, not for anything I do that's out of line, but just for being who I am. Sites like Giant Bomb may have a bit more bullshit that you have to wade through, but at least when you don't follow the site's culture, say something unpopular, or disagree with a moderator, you're not going to get the banhammer on NeoGaf or pay2troll harassment from SomethingAwful.
#223 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

did someone in the gaf GB thread just try and say that they are better than us because we have the colored names button selector?

#224 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Like Kotaku and the star system.

#225 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@adoggz said:

did someone in the gaf GB thread just try and say that they are better than us because we have the colored names button selector?

It's the same guy who used a GB account to come in this thread and troll users. Just ignore it.

#226 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Yeah, here's a thread on various members' waiting times. The delay definitely varies a lot because it depends on the administrator's willingness to go through sign-ups and stuff.

That seems incredibly dumb. Also, the disdain for juniors in that thread is kinda gross on some people's parts. Why do they refer to them as batches?

#227 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

@A_Pretty_Panda: You mean the war the US declared on the British and attempted to annex what is now Canada.

#228 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

@mandude said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

That seems incredibly dumb. Also, the disdain for juniors in that thread is kinda gross on some people's parts. Why do they refer to them as batches?

Because over there new users are things not people.

#229 Posted by RiccochetJ (19 posts) -

@mandude: Because they approve a whole bunch of people at once. So you'll see a whole new 'batch' of juniors pop up. Then it goes dark for 3 months or maybe longer before you see the new wave of approvals come in.

#230 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I was thinking as much. Oh, this was a bad batch. Better fuck 'em out the window.

@RiccochetJ: You see how when you weren't quoting the word 'batch' specifically, you naturally called them a wave? Like a normal person? :D

#231 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

@mandude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I was thinking as much. Oh, this was a bad batch. Better fuck 'em out the window.

@RiccochetJ: You see how when you weren't quoting the word 'batch' specifically, you naturally called them a wave? Like a normal person? :D

I pictures cookies being thrown in the trash. Hooza!

#232 Edited by mandude (2666 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@mandude said:

Another successful batch of NeoGAF Juniors.
#233 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

Don't ever spell "video games" like that ever again.

#234 Posted by Tamaster92 (271 posts) -

I actually got in two days ago after waiting 6 months... Feels good man

#235 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

@mandude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@mandude said:

Another successful batch of NeoGAF Juniors!

The top right one won't last long. He's a little burnt and isn't smiling as wide as the rest.

#236 Posted by RiccochetJ (19 posts) -

@mandude: Just depends. You'll see people use wave, or batch, or nothing at all. And there isn't truly disdain for juniors (well maybe some might have it). It's just razzing as you're learning the ropes. Of course there are some juniors that clearly didn't read the TOS or lurk long enough, and they try and comment like they're on youtube.

#237 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@RiccochetJ said:

@mandude: Just depends. You'll see people use wave, or batch, or nothing at all. And there isn't truly disdain for juniors (well maybe some might have it). It's just razzing as you're learning the ropes. Of course there are some juniors that clearly didn't read the TOS or lurk long enough, and they try and comment like they're on youtube.

I can understand that to a degree, but when something like that becomes normalised to the point of being a recurring joke, it can be difficult to differentiate. Obviously, in the case of NeoGAF, I can imagine that everyone knows what they're getting into when they join, but I was on a forum where it eventually became the norm to do exactly that and it was absolutely awful. New users either had to have a thick skin or they could just fuck off.

Granted, I haven't read enough on NeoGAF to know exactly what it's like there, but when a moderator says that the latest batch of juniors is turning out badly, it just comes across as elitism.

#238 Posted by RiccochetJ (19 posts) -

@mandude said:

@RiccochetJ said:

I can understand that to a degree, but when something like that becomes normalised to the point of being a recurring joke, it can be difficult to differentiate. Obviously, in the case of NeoGAF, I can imagine that everyone knows what they're getting into when they join, but I was on a forum where it eventually became the norm to do exactly that and it was absolutely awful. New users either had to have a thick skin or they could just fuck off.

Granted, I haven't read enough on NeoGAF to know exactly what it's like there, but when a moderator says that the latest batch of juniors is turning out badly, it just comes across as elitism.

Hehe. Bish is awesome. Yea, I noticed that a lot of juniors in this latest batch/wave of approvals aren't lasting too long. I'm not sure how that's coming off as elitism, they're getting themselves banned right out of the gate! And you can't be an outright dick to the juniors. You'll get yourself banned just as easily.

#239 Posted by Jtwo (3 posts) -

Ha, don't think I've ever posted on GB before.
Hey everyone!

#240 Posted by RiccochetJ (19 posts) -

Heh, as you can see, we may not post here, but a lot of us like GB. We even give money!

#241 Edited by mandude (2666 posts) -

@RiccochetJ said:

@mandude said:

@RiccochetJ said:

Hehe. Bish is awesome. Yea, I noticed that a lot of juniors in this latest batch/wave of approvals aren't lasting too long. I'm not sure how that's coming off as elitism, they're getting themselves banned right out of the gate! And you can't be an outright dick to the juniors. You'll get yourself banned just as easily.

I'm not saying that the latest juniors didn't deserve their bans (obviously, I've not seen them), but it's that they're all tarred with the same brush. They're referred to in the collective form, and must adhere to stricter rules, which really makes it seem like they're another class. That's what makes me think elitism, even though that's way too strong a word.

Well, that and referring to them as coming in batches. A batch comes out of an oven (or an assembly line). It's even somewhat derived from the word 'bake' and it really makes them seem like 'product' or something.

#242 Posted by Marokai (3146 posts) -
@synt4x:  I invite you to take a look over the different rules and guidelines threads, because parts of them are crazy subjective, and as far as I"m concerned, subjectivity in rules/rule enforcement is all the red flag I need to never post on a certain site. "Juniors" can get banned for being perceived as a troll by a moderator or administrator. For being perceived as being a jerk. For being perceived as being a console fanboy. And even if for the sake of argument 90% of bannings for all those reasons are perfectly legitimate and fair (which I doubt is the case considering that level of subjectivity) the fact that someone could get banned for being in the wrong place at the wrong time near the wrong moderator, is fucking stupid. People shouldn't have to go through some sort of ridiculous boot camp process where you're trained to fit in with the rest of an internet message board. It's why I greatly respect a site like Giant Bomb which has more lax rules and more by-committee moderation because you don't have to train yourself to not say anything that could be perceived as borderline.  

You might argue that tough moderation like that is "better" for a specific kind of end goal, but it's a throwing-the-baby-out-with-the-bath-water kind of approach that is inevitably going to kick out legitimate users or users that just rub a certain admin the wrong way. Giving that level of "case by case" determination to a single individual is never going to work out all of the time. I'm not even sure it speaks well of a site who's entire appeal is the exclusivity and the shallow hope that you might get to talk to a video game "celebrity" since it's become a hangout for industry notables because they apparently could never speak openly to such unclean sites that let in all the dirty poor folks on a free message board.

The very fact that the site refers to a wave of new users as "a batch of juniors" is condescending in the extreme and indicative of the sort of pretentious and classist attitude I simply just want no part in. Like Hailinel said in the first page, the site is a hotbed for unwarranted and inflated self importance. Hell, the thread on Gaf people are talking about here is critiquing our moderating to Jeff himself (who posts more on a site that isn't even his own community) as if they have some sort of expertise in the matter and have any right to comment to the co-founder of the site about our commenting and user-creation procedures when they're not even on Giant Bomb proper. Send me down with the rabble and I'll be a hell of a lot happier than I would with the sort of people that gravitate to a gated community.
#243 Posted by JDillinger (163 posts) -

@Marokai: This entire post gets one big LOL.

#244 Posted by RiccochetJ (19 posts) -

@mandude said:

@RiccochetJ said:

@mandude said:

@RiccochetJ said:

I'm not saying that the latest juniors didn't deserve their bans (obviously, I've not seen them), but it's that they're all tarred with the same brush. They're referred to in the collective form, and must adhere to stricter rules, which really makes it seem like they're another class. That's what makes me think elitism, even though that's way too strong a word.

Well, that and referring to them as coming in batches. A batch comes out of an oven (or some cases an assembly line). It's even somewhat derived from the word 'bake' and it really makes them seem like 'product' or something.

You're reading way too much into the word 'batch'. It can easily replaced with the words 'round' or 'wave' which I tend to use. It just means that a lot of new people were accepted and are now allowed to post. To start, they have the word 'junior member' underneath their name. Every person posting on GAF was a junior member at one point. And you became a junior member with a batch of other people at the same time. Sometimes there's an official thread announcing that there's a large number incoming! Gives them a place to introduce themselves and they're ever so gently sent to go read the TOS again. The mods are a bit more lenient to those actually wanting to learn the ropes and members will answer questions to help new juniors out.

Hell, I'm absolutely certain that you've seen new people posting here who don't completely understand things. I don't really post here, but I'm confused to see that I could possibly have a blog post I made turn up on the forum list? I don't want that! And I've seen enough posts or people starting threads bitching about those new people to see that this forum is not so different. And lo and behold that I find helpful members here trying to help those new people out as well. I don't paint the GB forum community with broad strokes, and I hope that you don't paint active members of GAF that way either. Yes, I call the new batch of juniors a new batch, because that's what they are. The new batch/wave/round etc etc. It doesn't mean I treat them all the same. Some won't survive to become a member, while others seem to be pretty damned fun to have around.

If you're interested, just lurk for a while. Read the threads and see how the responses happen. You'll get to understand what will get you banned and what is tiptoeing the line. Just know that those of us who are actually posting here are fans of GB if it's not already evident by our low number of posts but we're paying members here.

#245 Posted by Humanity (10087 posts) -

It seems a lot like a Lite version of SomethingAwful. At least on SA there are subforums where you can get the pretentious elitism out of your system and then go back to the main boards to post in a civilized manner. Building up an entire site on the foundations of juniors and seniors seems terrible. Even GiantBomb has some posters who, I can only assume because of their seniority with the site, will put a lot less effort into their posts because hey they're obviously right.

#246 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@RiccochetJ: You know, you're absolutely right. I've lurked NeoGAF before on certain threads about something that interested me, and from what I saw, it was mostly a cool place. To be honest, I wasn't even aware of the user registration process until this thread.

It's mainly just the vibes I'm getting from a few people in the two threads linked to on here that make me wary. Obviously, when that's the subject at hand, it's going to crop up more, though.

#247 Posted by synt4x (160 posts) -

@Marokai: I've been looking at the TOS and other threads in the FAQ section and I don't really get what you mean by subjective. Sure every ban is subjective to that particular moderator, but isn't that the case everywhere? I seriously doubt that moderators on most forums get together for a meeting to decide if a particular poster should be banned or not. The first paragraph of the TOS may seem a little harsh but it really isn't. It's not a human right to be a member on NeoGAF and you can loose your membership for any reason. That's not to say that people actually are banned for silly reasons though. I've never seen anyone banned if they didn't do something bad in the first place.

The rules are pretty clear and they seem fair to me. Here's the most important pages:

And here's the policy on hotlinking images. Please do point out any other points of subjectivity because I really can't.

And the whole "batch" thing is just silly. He didn't mean it in a bad way at all. It was said in a joking manner. And who cares what it's called anyway? Is the word "batch" really that offensive?

#248 Posted by Recall (103 posts) -

Its just all list threads, people asking wether not they should play a game, people unwilling to spend more than $1 on steam and generally a place where lots of people are not as clued as up as you expect them to be, which blows my mind considering NeoGaf is so highly talked about.

#249 Posted by synt4x (160 posts) -

What the hell are you talking about? List threads aren't even allowed there. Not as clued up? What does that mean? If everyone knew everything why even have discussions about anything? It would all just be circle-jerking at that point, much like what is going on in this thread.

#250 Posted by Recall (103 posts) -

There is a thread right now about fighting game stances. Its a list thread in the form of GIFS and then people going, what game is that?

People don't know KOF or Street Fighter 3 when they see it just seems....odd.