#301 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -
@Meowshi

I don't have an "exclusive" email, so I've never even really bothered to look at the forum. Can't be much worse than this one though.

Can I ask why you continue to post, then? It seems kind of pointless to talk about how much you hate the GB forums (pretty consistently I might add) and then just keep showing up.
#302 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -
#303 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Meowshi

I don't have an "exclusive" email, so I've never even really bothered to look at the forum. Can't be much worse than this one though.

Can I ask why you continue to post, then? It seems kind of pointless to talk about how much you hate the GB forums (pretty consistently I might add) and then just keep showing up.

A turtle was happily swimming along a river when a scorpion hailed it from the shore.

"Dear friend turtle!" called the scorpion. "Please let me climb upon your back and swim me to the other side of the river!"

"No," replied the turtle, "for if I do, you shall sting me, and I shall die."

"Nonsense!" replied the scorpion. "If I kill you in the middle of the river, you shall sink, and I shall drown and die with you."

The turtle thought this over, and saw the truth of the scorpion's statement. He let it upon his back and began swimming towards the other side of the river. Halfway across, he felt a sharp pain in the back of his neck.

"Why have you stung me?!" cried the turtle as his body began to stiffen. "Now you shall die as well!"

"Because it is in my nature," replied the scorpion as the turtle sank beneath the waters.

#304 Posted by forkboy (970 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

I have no intrest in joining there fourms, but i think the hate is generally unjustified. All online fourms have issues and idiots, im sure there plenty of people who use both sites. So cant we all have a big man hug or something?

I really have no idea why someone would waste their time thinking about a forum they aren't a member of & has no impact on their lives. I'm not a member of NeoGAF. I think I've looked at it a couple of times in the past but really it's not somewhere I ever think about except when this silly thread gets bumped

#305 Posted by A_Pretty_Panda (26 posts) -

@Aegon: good question

#306 Posted by bennyboy (327 posts) -

I just got my account validated yesterday. I am now one of the elite. I will now proceed to never use it.

#307 Posted by packs217 (91 posts) -

I like being a part of NeoGAF, have been for a few years now and it's a great place for news and conversation. The "Off-Topic" area certainly isn't for me, but the conversation relating to video games and the industry is usually excellent. It's still the internet, keep that in mind :)

#308 Posted by AssInAss (2400 posts) -

@bennyboy said:

I just got my account validated yesterday. I am now one of the elite. I will now proceed to never use it.

Is that a My Bloody Valentine avatar?!

#309 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

Makes them feel important

It really has the same problems as any forum and some people tend to agree with what the community says so like it there

#310 Posted by A_Pretty_Panda (26 posts) -

NEOGAF TOUCHED ME INAPPROPRIATELY

#311 Edited by rentacop (107 posts) -

I've been getting away from posting on GAF lately. It sucks having to constantly tip toe on the many minefields of controversial topics. Some people on there get very over dramatic at any slightly politically incorrect term or position.

#312 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

Their rules ensure a certain kind of discussion is encouraged, but the "exclusivity" feel (not really all that exclusive, I mean, as long as you have an ISP email, you will almost definitely get an account, it just takes a while) seems to make some members think they are a class above the rest. I have yet to feel like really getting involved over there like I did when I started posting here. It's just more laid back and open here and I think easier to make some gaming buddies and actually have fun. Not impossible on Neogaf but, in spite of some inanity over here, it's a lot more welcoming here.

#313 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

Gentlemen, Neogaf is for the top 1% of all video game commenters. The elite. Best of the best. Tip of the spear. There are no points for second place.

Dismissed.

#314 Edited by Stimpack (727 posts) -

They post so many stupid pictures and gifs. So Many. The maturity level there is very low.

@jimbo said:

Gentlemen, Neogaf is for the top 1% of all video game commenters. The elite. Best of the best. Tip of the spear. There are no points for second place.

Dismissed.

We'll show them the tip of the spear! Am I right fellas? Zing!

#315 Edited by Kepler (36 posts) -

@wmwa: Well nobody cares about you so HA! Just kidding, I LOVE YOU :3

Also, yeah it does kinda suck, but I heard it's pretty awesome. If you aren't going to be active, I wouldn't even bother. But then again, I never been there so what do I know?

@redufo: Well you are Link so....

#316 Edited by 9cupsoftea (652 posts) -

It's hard to join Neogaf because they try to maintain quality discourse.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148851

#317 Edited by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

GiantBomb is Better. I have an account on NeoGaf but I never used it after joining GiantBomb!

#319 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -
#320 Edited by A_Pretty_Panda (26 posts) -
#321 Edited by egg (1339 posts) -

Because it's exclusive. It's a good thing because it makes for less trolls, no spammers, less idiots (since there's at least the minimum threshold of having a non free email address). There are reasons why it's a bad thing, too, but that's how it is.

What the eff is a non-free email address? :<

#322 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ It also breeds an atmosphere and attitude of inflated, unwarranted self-importance.

Very true, and of late its acting more like an industry inquisition; searching for any little personal detail, opinion or controversy to burn the personal life of people in the industry.. quite lame.

Just look at what happen to a Gearbox artist that dare to criticise some Atlus game... She was publicly humiliated, called to be fired and what not...

#323 Posted by Hailinel (22708 posts) -

@donpixel said:

@hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ It also breeds an atmosphere and attitude of inflated, unwarranted self-importance.

Very true, and of late its acting more like an industry inquisition; searching for any little personal detail, opinion or controversy to burn the personal life of people in the industry.. quite lame.

Just look at what happen to a Gearbox artist that dare to criticise some Atlus game... She was publicly humiliated, called to be fired and what not...

Geez, I hadn't heard about that particular episode.

#324 Posted by Reisz (1358 posts) -

What are people doing that gives them enough time to patronise multiple forums?

#325 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

NeoGAF is really just good for getting news, other than that:

@milkman said:

Hey GAF, if you're reading this

SUCK ON MY BAAAALLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#326 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

@egg said:

@fluxwavez said:

Because it's exclusive. It's a good thing because it makes for less trolls, no spammers, less idiots (since there's at least the minimum threshold of having a non free email address). There are reasons why it's a bad thing, too, but that's how it is.

What the eff is a non-free email address? :<

Anything thats not a gmail/yahoo/etc email. Mostly college .edu accounts and company email accounts are accepted.

#327 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

I'm in it for the fast moving threads and constant puns.

#328 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Hey guys, we all gotta chill out. We both like video games, yo!

#329 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

Is this the official Neogaf thread now? I think we need one since they have a Giant Bomb thread.

#330 Edited by Aegon (5117 posts) -

@skytylz said:

Is this the official Neogaf thread now? I think we need one since they have a Giant Bomb thread.

Uh...sure.

#331 Posted by A_Pretty_Panda (26 posts) -

@reisz: i only patronize one forum and htta forum is neojaff

#332 Posted by KarlPilkington (2654 posts) -

I used my Uni email and got in within a week of trying.

#333 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -

@aegon said:

@skytylz said:

Uh...sure.

alright, now we need to post "sexy" pictures of Miley Cyrus and we will be golden.

#334 Edited by Darji (5295 posts) -

@Animasta said:

come now, it's not like there's less idiots.

There definitely is. It's fun to hate on NeoGAF and think of it as any other video game forum, but it isn't. There are definitely idiots and jerks there like any other forum, but the strict moderation plus its inherent exclusivity makes for a higher barrier to entry, naturally making for less 12 year olds and such who make an account on forums and then proceed to make a dozen generic threads.

@Aegon said:

I know, that's why I hate this whole situation.

Well, it is how it is. Plus, we've already had this exact thread: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/cant-create-a-neogaf-account-with-a-free-email-address-why/548343/

The problem is that you can get banned so very damn easy that it is not even funny. For example as Junior member do not ever go into a thread about equality. The only thing I said was that men and woman have animalistic instincts and that these motherly instincts women normally have also decide which jobs they are interested in. And BAM I was banned forever XD

#335 Posted by Karkarov (2622 posts) -

@adoggz said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Because they don't want the Internet creeping in....I hope you know what I mean by that.

too late

Was about to say. doggz hit the nail on the head.

#336 Edited by bigjeffrey (4157 posts) -

I got in within days. Been a better place to converse, with out the fear of the delete hammer.

#337 Edited by DaRaxor (33 posts) -

I love the fact that my own paid domain email isnt good enough for them. Ah well

#338 Posted by Boopie (191 posts) -

that site is ultra lib and it seems like the mods ban people at a whim it's best use is as an up to the minute gaming site if anything is happening there will be a page in the front of gaming discussion

I didn't realize they were somehow linked to "Gaming Age" wasn't that a web ring thing back in the day? my earlier days of pre-"frames" internet surfing are hazy I am probably thinking of something else

#339 Posted by Bugbear (4 posts) -

It's just a typical gaming forum that isn't even good for gaming news, since it's still slower than, well, a certain imageboard.

Their users are nothing special, either. They are all the same common, boring people you can find on any other website.

The signup procedure isn't really worth it. It certainly failed to protect their forum from the myriad of morons that currently post there.

It's not even that difficult to get in. The fact that some of them think that they were accepted because they are in some way special is more than a little ridiculous.

I can only imagine how sweet their tears must taste when they are suddenly banned for having an opinion that a mod doesn't like.

#340 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

@bugbear: Bumping a month old thread to rag on an internet forum. Did you get banned?