• 112 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cskazenit (7 posts) -

every other race gets one, why not whites? whites have history too. if there is a white guy proud to be white, he is suddenly called a racist, but oh foreigners can say that and they don't get any trash talk to them. it's time to step up. -_-

#2 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6270 posts) -

Someone post that Morgan Freeman video, please.

The idea of a black history month itself is racist and only a ploy to maintain the bullshit facade of political correctness in the US. There shouldn't be any "race months".

#3 Posted by cskazenit (7 posts) -

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

Someone post that Morgan Freeman video, please.

The idea of a black history month itself is racist and only a ploy to maintain the bullshit facade of political correctness in the US. There shouldn't be any "race months".

Yes, its best there is no race month.

#4 Posted by Ducksworth (656 posts) -

I didn't know there was a heritage month other than Black History Month.

#5 Posted by mordukai (7093 posts) -

I'm all for a second Christmas. :P

#6 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -
#7 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

The same reason there are no white schools or scholarships. It would be considered racist.

#8 Posted by cskazenit (7 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

The same reason there are no white schools or scholarships. It would be considered racist.

Which sucks.

#9 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

Every month is white heritage month

#10 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2074 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner said:

"Im gonna stop calling you a white man, and I'm going to ask that you stop calling me a black man..."

Oh god I would love that. There's more to a person than a physical color.

#11 Posted by Dagbiker (6899 posts) -

You must be some kinda raciest for wanting equality.

#12 Edited by mandude (2667 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

The same reason there are no white schools or scholarships. It would be considered racist.

This is essentially what the OP says, with the underlying point of it being stupid.

#13 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

You must be some kinda raciest for wanting equality.

Lol.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

white people are terrible is why

#15 Posted by Getz (2955 posts) -

The idea of white people needing a heritage month is silly because they don't need one: anybody who wanted to know the legacy of white men need only look in a history book. By that same token, black history is intrinsic to American history, as Mr. Freeman said. I would argue for more awareness of any marginalized culture, such as Asian Americans or Native Americans but black American history is readily available and has numerous invested parties to disseminate it.

#16 Edited by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@Getz said:

The idea of white people needing a heritage month is silly because they don't need one: anybody who wanted to know the legacy of white men need only look in a history book. By that same token, black history is intrinsic to American history, as Mr. Freeman said. I would argue for more awareness of any marginalized culture, such as Asian Americans or Native Americans but black American history is readily available and has numerous invested parties to disseminate it.

I'm pretty sure there's a native american history month? as well as an asian american history month?

they're definitely not as... celebrated as african american history month though.

#17 Posted by Akyho (1551 posts) -

@Landon said:

Every month is white heritage month

What I was going to say.

#18 Posted by DonutFever (3520 posts) -

There should also be Straight Pride parades and Male Rights Groups.

#19 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Here we go again. Hit us with your crazy, Animasta.

#20 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@Everyones_A_Critic: Black history is American history, making a month SEGREGATING black history is almost a slap in the face. I am white and cringe when I see black history month plastered everywhere, it's so wrong.

Simplified version: We need to celebrate what the black community has done for our history in all of the months, not just February. Dedicate months to cancer and burn awareness, that's it.

#21 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

Those "months" are nothing more than self-righteous ploys to fund ridiculous parades, public television, and feel good banners on your local new channel in the morning. Racial pride is pretty fucking stupid anyway, given that you had no particular choice in the matter. To paraphrase an old George Carlin bit: how can you be PROUD of something you had no part in? I didn't choose to be Israeli, for example.

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10227 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

Straight Pride parades

This would provide some wonderful trolling opportunities.

#23 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (317 posts) -

Because we are horrible, horrible people. 
 
Or so I'm told.

#24 Posted by Mikemcn (6875 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@BigChickenDinner said:

"Im gonna stop calling you a white man, and I'm going to ask that you stop calling me a black man..."

Oh god I would love that. There's more to a person than a physical color.

Ideally the only time physical color should come up is when you're physically describing someone, it doesn't make any sense as a cultural description.

#25 Posted by PillClinton (3284 posts) -

I'm fully with Morgan Freeman on this. An individual race heritage month only perpetuates separation and distinction, rather than moving toward any sort of equality. We're all just Homo sapiens, and when we eventually become a space faring civilization, we're all just going to be Earthlings and race won't fucking matter at all. And yes, I've been playing Mass Effect.

#26 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@Bruce said:

Those "months" are nothing more than self-righteous ploys to fund ridiculous parades, public television, and feel good banners on your local new channel in the morning. Racial pride is pretty fucking stupid anyway, given that you had no particular choice in the matter. To paraphrase an old George Carlin bit: how can you be PROUD of something you had no part in? I didn't choose to be Israeli, for example.

Carlin strikes again.

#27 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

Ideally the only time physical color should come up is when you're physically describing someone, it doesn't make any sense as a cultural description.

This. I hate how people look at me twice when I say "The black guy over there." or something...

#28 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Here we go again. Hit us with your crazy, Animasta.

I love how you're dedicated to trolling me but think about this. African Americans are still marginalized in American society, as are most minorities. Now, people can argue that segregating them is worse (I think that's wrong but I respect the sentiment). However, how many black people do people get taught in US history? Fredrick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, mostly people before/during the civil war. Maybe the guy who did all the experiments on peanuts (I can't remember his name atm, something carver?). Now, black history month, as I have come to understand it, is purely designed as reminding people about others who were relevant to society, history, whatever. They aren't segregating them, but reminding people that history has more people in it than just old white men.

I mean at least African Americans get taught in history at all, The only Mexican-American I can remember is Cesar Chavez and I never actually got taught that (we made it to WW2 and that's it, he was in the 70's and later in the book)

#29 Posted by MechaKirby (181 posts) -

Our heritage is founded on oppressing all other races

#30 Posted by louiedog (2331 posts) -

When will America finally embrace white culture?

#31 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

Because:

#32 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

Black History month was most likely established by white people to assuage their white guilt, Once you find a group of people who feel guilty about something their ancestors did to white people, you'll see a white history month. Till then, you'll have to settle for the other 11 months of the year when ALL you study is white history.

Don't say African American, either. That's even more racist than calling them black. To quote the lovely girl I went to high school with when all this African American bullshit first got started - "My family is from Cuba and I have no connection to Africa". Not all black people came from Africa.

#33 Edited by TzarStefan (423 posts) -

@MechaKirby said:

Our heritage is founded on oppressing all other races

Oh wow i hope that you are joking.@BionicRadd said:

Black History month was most likely established by white people to assuage their white guilt, Once you find a group of people who feel guilty about something their ancestors did to white people, you'll see a white history month. Till then, you'll have to settle for the other 11 months of the year when ALL you study is white history.

Don't say African American, either. That's even more racist than calling them black. To quote the lovely girl I went to high school with when all this African American bullshit first got started - "My family is from Cuba and I have no connection to Africa". Not all black people came from Africa.

" white people to assuage their white guilt" You mean the jews, we Europeans "white people" are getting brainwashed into white guilt by the jews simple fact.

#34 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Didn't you hear?  Its bad to be white and if you a white man then zomg, you are the worse.  I just tell everyone no matter what sex or race to stay the hell off my lawn.

#35 Posted by Wes899 (2102 posts) -

How old is OP? It seems to me it's just kids that are really bothered by this.

#36 Edited by Itwastuesday (853 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner said:

The fucking man.

#37 Posted by DonutFever (3520 posts) -
@TzarStefan said:

@MechaKirby said:

Our heritage is founded on oppressing all other races

Oh wow i hope that you are joking.@BionicRadd said:

Black History month was most likely established by white people to assuage their white guilt, Once you find a group of people who feel guilty about something their ancestors did to white people, you'll see a white history month. Till then, you'll have to settle for the other 11 months of the year when ALL you study is white history.

Don't say African American, either. That's even more racist than calling them black. To quote the lovely girl I went to high school with when all this African American bullshit first got started - "My family is from Cuba and I have no connection to Africa". Not all black people came from Africa.

" white people to assuage their white guilt" You mean the jews, we Europeans "white people" are getting brainwashed into white guilt by the jews simple fact.

I... I don't... 
 
@Wes899 said:

How old is OP? It seems to me it's just kids that are really bothered by this.

I'd say it's REALLY old people more than kids. But yeah, the OP is probably younger.
#38 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@TzarStefan said:

@MechaKirby said:

Our heritage is founded on oppressing all other races

Oh wow i hope that you are joking.@BionicRadd said:

Black History month was most likely established by white people to assuage their white guilt, Once you find a group of people who feel guilty about something their ancestors did to white people, you'll see a white history month. Till then, you'll have to settle for the other 11 months of the year when ALL you study is white history.

Don't say African American, either. That's even more racist than calling them black. To quote the lovely girl I went to high school with when all this African American bullshit first got started - "My family is from Cuba and I have no connection to Africa". Not all black people came from Africa.

" white people to assuage their white guilt" You mean the jews, we Europeans "white people" are getting brainwashed into white guilt by the jews simple fact.

never quote or reply to me, again. wow.

#39 Posted by actionTACO (498 posts) -

i know, right? and why isn't there a WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION channel? really ~~~makes u think~~~

why yes i did get my degree in racial studies from youtube university. why do you ask?

#40 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

@Landon said:

Every month is white heritage month

Every second of every minute of every day of every month of every year is more like it....whites have had it good for the longest time. It's all going to come crashing down one day but for now it's all good.

#41 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

We need a thread like this every few months to filter out the crazies.

#42 Posted by MechaKirby (181 posts) -

@TzarStefan: White people were responsible for: holocaust, asian internment camps, salvery, slaughtering native americans... anything else?

You can't have a "White History Month" and ignore these and only recognize discovering electricity, founding democracy and inventing bacon cheeseburgers.

#43 Edited by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@MechaKirby said:

@TzarStefan: White people were responsible for: holocaust, asian internment camps, salvery, slaughtering native americans... anything else?

You can't have a "White History Month" and ignore these and only recognize discovering electricity, founding democracy and inventing bacon cheeseburgers.

Crusades, can we count the Spanish Inquisition since I kinda consider most Europeans to be some form of white?, Barry Manilow's career

Edit - "founding democracy" is a statement I will always laugh at, considering only rich, white, male land owners had ANY say in America's "democracy".

#44 Edited by MariachiMacabre (6939 posts) -

It could have something to do with that, often, when white people advanced, we did so by stepping on other races. Not to say other races don't have their closet skeletons but white people's skeletons are a great deal more well-known. I agree that the general concept of Black History Month kind of divides society.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Morgan Freeman had some really fantastic fucking points in that video. Bravo, Mr. Freeman.

#45 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@MechaKirby said:

@TzarStefan: White people were responsible for: holocaust, asian internment camps, salvery, slaughtering native americans... anything else?

You can't have a "White History Month" and ignore these and only recognize discovering electricity, founding democracy and inventing bacon cheeseburgers.

Crusades, can we count the Spanish Inquisition since I kinda consider most Europeans to be some form of white?, Barry Manilow's career

Edit - "founding democracy" is a statement I will always laugh at, considering only rich, white, male land owners had ANY say in America's "democracy".

Maybe he was attributing founding democracy to the Greeks?

#46 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

It could have something to do with that, often, when white people advanced, we did so by stepping on other races. Not to say other races don't have their closet skeletons but white people's skeletons are a great deal more well-known. I agree that the general concept of Black History Month kind of divides society.

The importance of history is inversely proportionate to how many people they killed?

#47 Posted by TzarStefan (423 posts) -

@MechaKirby said:

@TzarStefan: White people were responsible for: holocaust, asian internment camps, salvery, slaughtering native americans... anything else?

You can't have a "White History Month" and ignore these and only recognize discovering electricity, founding democracy and inventing bacon cheeseburgers.

Slavery? Sold by Arabs, Other Africans tribes, and jews. And also shipped by jews aswell ( look it up ). As for asian internment camps also conducted by the jews, Japan was Axis remember fighting along side white people.... And the holocaust i wont get into that only trouble awaits on such topic. I'm not a racist but i am proud to be white, The lies about us is unbearable.

#48 Posted by MechaKirby (181 posts) -

@BionicRadd: Rich white people are still white people!

#49 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Here we go again. Hit us with your crazy, Animasta.

I love how you're dedicated to trolling me but think about this. African Americans are still marginalized in American society, as are most minorities. Now, people can argue that segregating them is worse (I think that's wrong but I respect the sentiment). However, how many black people do people get taught in US history? Fredrick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, mostly people before/during the civil war. Maybe the guy who did all the experiments on peanuts (I can't remember his name atm, something carver?). Now, black history month, as I have come to understand it, is purely designed as reminding people about others who were relevant to society, history, whatever. They aren't segregating them, but reminding people that history has more people in it than just old white men.

I mean at least African Americans get taught in history at all, The only Mexican-American I can remember is Cesar Chavez and I never actually got taught that (we made it to WW2 and that's it, he was in the 70's and later in the book)

But that is still foolish. History classes in general tend to leave out an extraordinary amount of people of all races simply because there is so many different people and events that have left their mark on our worlds history. That is why there is specializations in history courses such as Latin American History, or pure American History. When I took American History blacks got plenty of attention because they have a huge part in American history. It is simply unnecessary to give a race a month because, as many have already quoted from the Morgan Freeman video, it simply retains that idea of racial separation.

#50 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

God damn I hate whenever this shit is brought up.