Why is there such hatred for "Emo" music?

• 100 results
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By baconbits33

So today I was sitting in my car waiting on my friend, being the chick he is when getting ready I was sitting there for awhile. So to resist the urge to ditch his ass I put on some music to make the whole wait seem less boring so I plugged in my ipod to my speakers and started to play Silverstein, now I'm halfway into the song "Smile In Your Sleep" when my friend finally comes out, he steps in the car, listens for a sec, then looks at me and says, "Why do you listen to such faggy emo music?." Now I listen to all forms of music, but I happen to really like bands such as; SIlverstein, Saosin, Aiden, Senses Fail, A Day to Remember, etc. So I don't get why people have to make such a big deal out of it? My friend loves to listen to Trivium, Cradle of Filth, Children Of Bodom, As I Lay Dying, and bands along that genre of metal, which I enjoy from time to time, although I really can't stand Children of Bodom, so I don't past judgement on him when we are hanging out cause its all a matter of taste. 
What gets to me though is the fact that this isn't the first time I've had to put up with that kind of crap, many kids at my school (most of which are fans of rap) criticize my choice of music because rock is "just a bunch of faggots screaming and making noise" now I don't take any of them seriously since I personally believe that todays modern form of rap shouldn't even be considered music and I think that 80% of the kids at my school could probably receive benefits for having Down Syndrome....  But hey that's just my opinion and I'm not gonna make too big of a deal out of it.  

All that being said, how do you guys feel about emo/punk music? I know there is a vast majority of rock lovers on this site, so I'm wondering have you guys ever had to go through the kind of situations I've been in? 

Ok for the record guys, I don't follow the emo lifestyle, I just love the music.... ah hell I also love emo chicks I'm guilty of that one too.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By baconbits33

So today I was sitting in my car waiting on my friend, being the chick he is when getting ready I was sitting there for awhile. So to resist the urge to ditch his ass I put on some music to make the whole wait seem less boring so I plugged in my ipod to my speakers and started to play Silverstein, now I'm halfway into the song "Smile In Your Sleep" when my friend finally comes out, he steps in the car, listens for a sec, then looks at me and says, "Why do you listen to such faggy emo music?." Now I listen to all forms of music, but I happen to really like bands such as; SIlverstein, Saosin, Aiden, Senses Fail, A Day to Remember, etc. So I don't get why people have to make such a big deal out of it? My friend loves to listen to Trivium, Cradle of Filth, Children Of Bodom, As I Lay Dying, and bands along that genre of metal, which I enjoy from time to time, although I really can't stand Children of Bodom, so I don't past judgement on him when we are hanging out cause its all a matter of taste. 
What gets to me though is the fact that this isn't the first time I've had to put up with that kind of crap, many kids at my school (most of which are fans of rap) criticize my choice of music because rock is "just a bunch of faggots screaming and making noise" now I don't take any of them seriously since I personally believe that todays modern form of rap shouldn't even be considered music and I think that 80% of the kids at my school could probably receive benefits for having Down Syndrome....  But hey that's just my opinion and I'm not gonna make too big of a deal out of it.  

All that being said, how do you guys feel about emo/punk music? I know there is a vast majority of rock lovers on this site, so I'm wondering have you guys ever had to go through the kind of situations I've been in? 

Ok for the record guys, I don't follow the emo lifestyle, I just love the music.... ah hell I also love emo chicks I'm guilty of that one too.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I don't hate it so much myself, least not anymore. It's more of a ill respected disliking...I do hate the fans, though.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tmthomsen

I don't listen to emo music since I use music to cheer myself up. Why would you want to be saddened?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Abyssfull said:
" I don't hate it so much myself, least not anymore. It's more of a ill respected disliking...I do hate the fans, though. "
Meaning you, OP. 
jk...but seriously.
but in all seriousness 
@baconbits33 said:
 I personally believe that todays modern form of rap shouldn't even be considered music
I stopped reading.
jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By jimi

Its a moot point. He listens to the same sort of "Faggy emo music" as you. He was probably just joking, at least that is my opinion. 

I have nothing against that sort of music. There are two types of music; Music you like and music you don't like. No good or bad :P.

Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MercuryCrusader

If you don't have Mojo Nixon, then your record store needs fixin'.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I don't mind the music.

I mind the kids dressing up in checkerclothing, crappy haircuts and who waste their time telling the world how hard life is.
That, or the kids who revel in it and want to point out there difference every possible chance.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Why would you want to hear people singing about their pain?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Some emo music used to be good, it used to be all out expressing emotions. (ex. old Weezer) But now it's kids whining into a microphone with their long, black hair and make-up. 

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By adoggz

is this emo music the stuff that gets put over those shitty youtube montage videos?

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

people hate anything they don't understand.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jkz

*Sigh* Someone else who conflates the shit you hear on the radio with the rest of the genre. Rap has its good artists and its terrible artists, just like every genre, and both you and your friend made the mistake of thinking that the shit is representative of the genre as a whole (he just made it with respect to "emo music").

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By artofwar420

I'm not a hater, but some of those bands are just cookie cutter and generic, they follow the motions of making sounds but it's like connect the dots. Almost as bad as Nickelback. Not all of course, there are some noteworthy "emo" bands.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By meteora

I don't mind emo music. The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance is a actually pretty good album in my opinion. Its just when the majority of the song consists of annoying and irritating screeches or screams, then I have a issue. Some people also has a problem with the music being too whiny about life and things, which is well, a turn off from most people. 

My problem with people who hate emo music however, is that for some reason before I've seen a bunch of people just throwing that label all over the place on many bands. Its not nearly as big a issue now, but back then it was irritating.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheFreeMan

People hate on shit because people hate on shit. Coming back to your friend, in general I find that metal fans are the ones that are most vocal about insulting other people's tastes in music, but that's just from my experiences I've had with the short music discussions I've taken part in (which is one of the reasons why I don't talk about music much-people are just naturally pretentious when it comes to music. Including me).

I don't differentiate between genres much, just because separating bands into the smaller and smaller types gets confusing after a while. I just place emo and punk under the "rock" genre and leave it there.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By natetodamax
Because it's mostly terrible
tyler1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tyler1285

People like their shitty music more than your shitty music, I like my shitty music

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By gamb1t

The people that like the music are idiots. Tight jeans, long hair, jewelry..... you think im talken about a female im talken about males that like emotional music. (why listen to depressing music is beyond me?)

AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AsianSwagger
@baconbits33 said:
SIlverstein, Saosin, Senses Fail
These are emo bands?
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mazik765

Honestly a lot of the hatred comes from two sources I think. Firstly there are idiot teenagers who just think it's cool to hate emo, so they hate it without listening to it. Secondly, a lot of the lyrics are so centered around dumb teenage angst that anyone above the age of 17 usually has a hard time taking it seriously. 

I don't particularly like the emo whine that is partial to that type of music, but I have no problem with people who do like it. It's more than dumb, teenage angst filled culture that bothers me than the music itself.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By tranquilchaos

because it sucks... it sucks hard...

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Interfect
@MercuryCrusader said:
" If you don't have Mojo Nixon, then your record store needs fixin'. "
I got that.... The worse part. Is I know that song from Tony Hawk's Project 8....
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By toowalrus

Well, the music fuckin' sucks, BUT it's the culture that goes along with it that's garbage.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By meteora
@TheFreeMan said:
" People hate on shit because people hate on shit. Coming back to your friend, in general I find that metal fans are the ones that are most vocal about insulting other people's tastes in music, but that's just from my experiences I've had with the short music discussions I've taken part in (which is one of the reasons why I don't talk about music much-people are just naturally pretentious when it comes to music. Including me).  I don't differentiate between genres much, just because separating bands into the smaller and smaller types gets confusing after a while. I just place emo and punk under the "rock" genre and leave it there. "
I seem to notice that too. Metalheads seem to insult other genres more frequently than others. 

WHY CAN'T WE ALL COEXIST IN PEACE?! >_<
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By baconbits33
@TMThomsen: @Lemoncookie01: I don't listen to it cause of the lifestyle that some kids choose, it's far from being the majority of music I listen to, but I mainly listen to it cause I love the mix of guitar and vocals, every now and then its a nice change from Killswitch Engage from time to time.
WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" That, or the kids who revel in it and want to point out there difference every possible chance. " 

Thats it in a nutshell. I enjoy listening to such types of music (I Killed The Prom Queen etc :P) but when it came to a point of people forcing themselves into stereotypes and loving the fact that they were stupidly different got me. I very rarely listen to new bands of this music type due to the fanbase that comes with them. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zeforgotten

I kinda like a little emotional rock music now and then, so I'm not hating

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By baconbits33
@AsianSwagger said:
" @baconbits33 said:
SIlverstein, Saosin, Senses Fail
These are emo bands? "
Apparently, I can kinda understand Senses Fail but.... SIlverstein? 
Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dom

i just don't like anything emo-related... except the chicks 

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheJohn

How can you have a good conversation about music, when you start by stating that kids with a different taste than you has Downs Syndrome?

Also, drop the shitty MTVmo and listen to Fugazi, and all your problems will be gone.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By flaminghobo
@baconbits33: There is some good emo music just like there is some good rap and some good metal but there are also a lot of terrible acts in each respective genre.

The main problem I have when it comes to emo music is that often it will be about loosing a loved one, whining about trivial problems etc. as well as the fact that a lot of them chose to dress in a ridiculous manner and complain about how hard life can be.

This is the main problem I have with 'emos' as well.
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@Interfect said:
I got that.... The worse part. Is I know that song from Tony Hawk's Project 8.... "

I first heard that song from an episode of Beavis & Butt-Head. Heh... 

I don't listen to punk much.  I listen to psychobilly quite a bit, though.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By meteora
@Dom said:
" i just don't like anything emo-related... except the chicks  "
Yes. Just yes.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By baconbits33
@TheJohn: Your mistaken, I didn't take a shot on their taste of music, I meant to take a shot at their IQ overall. 

@FlamingHobo: I agree, I can't stand emo kids but I love the music... for some reason everyone seems to think I'm with that kind of style.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By flaminghobo
@baconbits33: I can honestly say that I was almost dragged into the trend of dressing like that. (Thank god I didn't.) 
I'm 15, for the record.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PercyChuggs

Because it's the latest trendy music that the kids listen to. It's no different than disco in the 70's or hair metal in the 80's.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ryax

because emo bitches are faggots and their music sucks

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By trophyhunter

not everyone wants to kill themselves

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ryax

do i really need to say more?
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArchScabby

Because the people who make it or listen to it act like their life is so bad and tough even though they all grew up in the suburbs in a middle to upper class family.

Also they dress like idiots.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheJohn
@baconbits33:  Ok. I misread that, what with the dismissing of modern rap etc.

I think a lot of the hatred towards emo stems from basic homophobia. IE "feelings are faggy"
With homophobia being quite blatant in both hiphop and metal, one should not be surprised that this seems to be a mainstream sentiment.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By baconbits33
@Ryax: I have yet to find an emo that dresses like that, and I've known a lot of emos and lived in a lot of places.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By crusader8463

The only music I hate is Rap music.  I have yet to hear a rap song, that was not a parody, that I liked hearing. Everything else I'm willing to listen to.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

those are some of the gayest band names ever

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By yakov456

Well it's not ICP, so it has that going for it.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By baconbits33
@yakov456 said:
" Well it's not ICP, so it has that going for it. "
I still find it hard to believe that they have a rather large fan base....
thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thedj93
@ArchScabby said:
" Because the people who make it or listen to it act like their life is so bad and tough even though they all grew up in the suburbs in a middle to upper class family.  Also they dress like idiots. "
This is alot of the reason why I don't like it. Also they have a certain style of singing that kind of puts me off. But geez, bro, GEEZ! Emo is a much less nuanced genre than rap is. Rap is nearly all encompassing! How can you pigeonhole songs like this and this as all the same bullshit? THEY ARE VERY DIFFERENT KINDS OF BULLSHIT!

And those songs aren't even bad, yo.

Also can't we listen to metal AND rap? I mean I do it! Admittedly, I lean towards the latter, since I kind of grew up with it, but I don't see they are necessarily exclusive, taste-wise. Could someone enlighten me, please
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Whisperkill

I like Yellowcard. Is that emo?

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By IcySandman
@baconbits33: Really?  I've seen tons of them, go to the mall and hang out near a Hot topic and they'll be everywhere. 

The only reason for me to dislike emo music is because it's so depressing, so that's why I don't listen to it...but it's the fanbase that ticks me off.  "My life sucks, I live in an upper-class suburb guys.  Let's go to hot topic with all the money my parents gave me now and get the latest emo music and clothing to show how our lives suck and make people wish their lives could be as bad as ours."   
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ArchScabby
@thedj93 said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" Because the people who make it or listen to it act like their life is so bad and tough even though they all grew up in the suburbs in a middle to upper class family.  Also they dress like idiots. "
This is alot of the reason why I don't like it. Also they have a certain style of singing that kind of puts me off. But geez, bro, GEEZ! Emo is a much less nuanced genre than rap is. Rap is nearly all encompassing! How can you pigeonhole songs like this and this as all the same bullshit? THEY ARE VERY DIFFERENT KINDS OF BULLSHIT!  And those songs aren't even bad, yo.  Also can't we listen to metal AND rap? I mean I do it! Admittedly, I lean towards the latter, since I kind of grew up with it, but I don't see they are necessarily exclusive, taste-wise. Could someone enlighten me, please "
I hope you don't mean me, because I listen to a lot of rap and a lot of various genres of metal.  In fact those two genres are most of my music collection.   I listen to emo occasionally too, but it still annoys me.