Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By HoldSteady828

Design would indeed imply a designer.

Life is not a design, however.

Argument from incredulity is a classic logical fallacy: "It's too complex for me to understand, therefore it must be magic."

Intelligent design is not testable, it is not science.  It is creationism in the guise of pseudoscience.  It has absolutely no place in a public funded classroom.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
HoldSteady828 said:
"Design would indeed imply a designer.

Life is not a design, however.

Argument from incredulity is a classic logical fallacy: "It's too complex for me to understand, therefore it must be magic."

Intelligent design is not testable, it is not science.  It is creationism in the guise of pseudoscience.  It has absolutely no place in a public funded classroom."
Right. If you want to deal with fantasy & science-fiction, I suggest taking a Creative Writing class. Further, there was a chart on Wired Magazine that showed the percent of believe in Evolution around the world. The USA scored the second to the lowest in all other countries around the world. This means most of us Americans are either the dumbest people on the Earth...or the smartest, depending on which side you take.
NotaStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By NotaStalker
DirtyTime said:
"Sweep said:
Comment removed.
You have such an open mind......."
says the guy who was tought christianity by his parents and never gave thought to any other possibilities
SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By SpecTackle

Simple answer: No respected scientist with any sort of body of work supports ID. It's bullshit, and that's that.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By Patchinko

IC9, is that you?

Avatar image for ultimate_pwr_rngr
Ultimate_pwr_rngr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO! they are already teaching us enuff! i don't wan't to "learn" anymore!! i already have enuff homework. why is it that adults think they need to feed all this shit into kids brains? JUST TEACH ME THE BASICs, I'LL LEARN THE REST ON MY OWN, IF I WAN'T

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Colonel_Cool

To keep this brief, school systems (in the US at least) will NEVER have intelligent design in their curriculum. First of all, it's not science, and would be a waste of taxpayer dollars. Second of all, the Supreme Court is always in favor of separation of church and state, and will not allow religion to be taught in public schools. People who want to push the idea that God created humans have no respect for other people's beliefs or for the Constitution. Seriously people, we fought a war for our independence and created one of the first modern Constitution that ensures equal rights, and some people just treat it like nothing.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Endogene
Patchinko said:
"IC9, is that you?"
hahahaha was thinking the same thing
anyway i think the OP noticed that the majority of us disagree with him, at least i hope he has...
intelligent design is flawed, deal with it
thread closed
Canadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By Canadian

The Earth is 6000 years old too right?

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#110  Edited By thebeast
Thread cleaned.
It's great to be able to discuss this stuff, but try to keep it civil. Thanks all.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#111  Edited By Meowayne
Colonel_Cool said:
"To keep this brief, school systems (in the US at least) will NEVER have intelligent design in their curriculum. First of all, it's not science, and would be a waste of taxpayer dollars. Second of all, the Supreme Court is always in favor of separation of church and state, and will not allow religion to be taught in public schools. People who want to push the idea that God created humans have no respect for other people's beliefs or for the Constitution. Seriously people, we fought a war for our independence and created one of the first modern Constitution that ensures equal rights, and some people just treat it like nothing."
Reading what people wrote actually helps, Colonel_Cool:

>>So there is no religion class in the US? That's interesting. I'd say thats a reason threads like this happen. I'm not religious, even though I was raised by christians, but teaching the
diversity of world religions, different schools of thought and different takes on experiencing the world to students can only make them more tolerant. "Religion"-class is anything but about "truth". It's showing the kids that there are differently thinking people on the world, and having a place were such controversial issues can be adressed. You might also call it "Religion and Philosophy class". You learn about the origin of the bible, you learn about how and what christians, muslims, jews etc. believe, you work your way through text and essays of renowned theists, fundamentalists and atheists, you talk about death (penalty), the origin of life, the influence of culture, politics and geography on beliefs, etc.
There's room for every school of thought. No "truths" are put into your head. Teachers do not take sides, but students can, and are encouraged to debate with each other. When doing exams, most often you're given a text and you're supposed to analyze it under different points of view.
Now if every child in the US were taught neo-darwinism in biology class, but at the same time had another place/class to discuss ID, and how some people chose to view the world differently, this stupid, neverending debate would finally vanish.

We all agree that Religion doesn't belong to science classes, and that seperation of church and state is a good thing. In Germany, teachers aren't allowed to wear religious symbols (headscarfs for example) in class. But there's still a "Religion/Philosophy" class, neither teaching religion nor teaching religiously, but giving young people an overview of world religions and how different people believe different. This is exactly the kind of education most of the more stubborn participants in this debate lack.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Endogene
Meowayne said:
"Colonel_Cool said:
"To keep this brief, school systems (in the US at least) will NEVER have intelligent design in their curriculum. First of all, it's not science, and would be a waste of taxpayer dollars. Second of all, the Supreme Court is always in favor of separation of church and state, and will not allow religion to be taught in public schools. People who want to push the idea that God created humans have no respect for other people's beliefs or for the Constitution. Seriously people, we fought a war for our independence and created one of the first modern Constitution that ensures equal rights, and some people just treat it like nothing."

>>So there is no religion class in the US? That's interesting. I'd say thats a reason threads like this happen. I'm not religious, even though I was raised by christians, but teaching the
diversity of world religions, different schools of thought and different takes on experiencing the world to students can only make them more tolerant. "Religion"-class is anything but about "truth". It's showing the kids that there are differently thinking people on the world, and having a place were such controversial issues can be adressed. You might also call it "Religion and Philosophy class". You learn about the origin of the bible, you learn about how and what christians, muslims, jews etc. believe, you work your way through text and essays of renowned theists, fundamentalists and atheists, you talk about death (penalty), the origin of life, the influence of culture, politics and geography on beliefs, etc.
There's room for every school of thought. No "truths" are put into your head. Teachers do not take sides, but students can, and are encouraged to debate with each other. When doing exams, most often you're given a text and you're supposed to analyze it under different points of view.
Now if every child in the US were taught neo-darwinism in biology class, but at the same time had another place/class to discuss ID, and how some people chose to view the world differently, this stupid, neverending debate would finally vanish.

We all agree that Religion doesn't belong to science classes, and that seperation of church and state is a good thing. In Germany, teachers aren't allowed to wear religious symbols (headscarfs for example) in class. But there's still a "Religion/Philosophy" class, neither teaching religion nor teaching religiously, but giving young people an overview of world religions and how different people believe different. This is exactly the kind of education most of the more stubborn participants in this debate lack."
they dont teach religion in the us??? heh didnt expect that one, our modern world is based on religious ideas, understanding what ideas made the world of today is understanding how the world of today works, where i live religions is teach along side socioligy not that much during philosophie, whell its not debated in philosophie, just presented.
I'm talking about every religion here not the one that is domination locally
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#113  Edited By Meowayne
Endogene said:
our modern world is based on religious ideas, understanding what ideas made the world of today is understanding how the world of today works [...]
I'm talking about every religion here not the one that is domination locally"
Exactly.

HoldSteady828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By HoldSteady828

We do teach comparative religion in the US, and that information certainly is invaluable to understanding the shaping of thought in human civilization. Intelligent design presented in a comparative religion class as a belief that some people hold is something that I don't think anyone is really opposed to.

Mysticism has no place in an empirical science class, however.

Avatar image for blacksuitandtie9
BlackSuitAndTie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The belief is that religion should be kept out of school, so I guess that has something to do with it. I'm a Christian, but I still wouldn't want teachers to teach its concepts or any other religious concepts.

HoldSteady828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By HoldSteady828

Religion is allowed in school- and contrary to popular belief, students are absolutely allowed to pray in school.

Faculty lead or mandated prayer is what is prohibited.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By serbsta

Im over this debate, but heres my opinion. Its futile arguing about it. You cant convince a non-believer and you cant argue with a faithful believer. So, who cares?

EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By EndlessMike

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By EndlessMike

Oh yeah also because intelligent design is only specific to certain religions so teaching it in a secular school would be inappropriate. They don't teach concepts like reincarnation either for the same reason but to be honest you learn about them indirectly anyway, especially if you have classes on religion.

Also if you take a look at all the bullshit controversy this thread probably started the school system doesn't need to add anymore reason for parents to complain at them about.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Colonel_Cool
Meowayne said:
"Colonel_Cool said:

We all agree that Religion doesn't belong to science classes, and that seperation of church and state is a good thing. In Germany, teachers aren't allowed to wear religious symbols (headscarfs for example) in class. But there's still a "Religion/Philosophy" class, neither teaching religion nor teaching religiously, but giving young people an overview of world religions and how different people believe different. This is exactly the kind of education most of the more stubborn participants in this debate lack."
As you can see, I didn't quote the italicized section, because I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to the TC's post. And this thread is about Intelligent Design. Intelligent Design isn't just a religion class, it is a pseudoscientific theory that is essentially just a re-labeled form of creationism. I have no problems with a religion class learning about different religions, in fact, many schools do have that. But ID teaches kids that God created humans and completely refutes evolution. There is no chance of our public schools ever including ID in their curriculums, so there is really no sense in arguing for it.
Avatar image for thedarkguardian
TheDarkGuardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By TheDarkGuardian

hey guys have you seen the new.... *looks at topic and runs*

Jacob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Jacob
TheDarkGuardian said:
"hey guys have you seen the new.... *looks at topic and runs*"
CORY!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#123  Edited By Jayge_
DirtyTime said:
"Vaxadrin said:
"Mind providing the source for that copy & paste job?"
What? I didn't copy that man. Maybe I should have used smaller words. Anyway, since no one wants to have a discussion, a Mod can close this. I see all the trolls from gamespot just ran over here. Good day."
Paste that little essay that this guy posted into google. It shows up 2 or 3 times. It's not his.

As far as this thread, it's just a bunch of immature ad hominems. I don't know why it's still here. No discussion will ever be produced. Good night.
Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Jotun

Because the theory of intelligent design cannot be supported using the scientific method. Such a belief is fine in the sanctity of ones preferred temple of worship, but not a public education forum.

I'm an atheist but I have no problems with people believing in what they want. I just don't think it really pertains to something educational. Perhaps in a social studies class but definitely not a science class.

Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Iffy350
atejas said:
"roofy said:
""Explain to me how god popped out of nowhere, you can't.
Yes the big bang theory is just a guess, and I'm not sure how that works either, no one is sure.
But the idea of a Supreme being popping out of nowhere with seemingly infinite power is a little far fetched as well."

the definition of God is a being an omnipotent being that transcends time and space.

by that definition it is impossible for me to "prove" that to you because he not confined by time, which means he was never born not died and was always there, and transcends space which means he cannot be confined to a certain area. that's why religions are called "faiths", by the fact that there will be no proof that he exists and that you must make a leap of faith to believe. im not asking you or anyone to take that leap or believe. all that i am asking is to have an open mind when it comes to these matters"

As long as you accept that there is currently no proof for it, and, acknowledging that, do not try to push your beliefs on others(not to say that you are), I acknowledge the possibility that
a- An external creator made life as a cell.
b- An external creator is influencing our evolution.
c- An external creator made us in such a way that he knew how he would evolve."
An 'excellent creator' made a giant 99.9995% uninhabitable universe that is ever expanding. I hate pink 'smart apes.' God made Pigs and man made MiG's and I believe the latter is of far superior design. The human body is made of water and puss and easily susceptible to radiation which is all around us 'humans.'
Avatar image for starshiptrooper
StarshipTrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By StarshipTrooper
Avatar image for starshiptrooper
StarshipTrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By StarshipTrooper
Tarsier said:
"I don't like getting involved in these weak religious debates but I am just going to say that I think they should make kids understand that they have a choice in what they want to believe in/learn. Forcing a belief down their throats (evolution) is the same as teaching religion in a school. It's not right and you should let the person decide what they want to learn/believe in. The way they teach evolution is like it is total fact. Which is bullshit you know? It's a theory. A theory shouldn't be taught like it's a fact.  my 2 cents."

Did you know that it's also a theory that the Earth revolves around the Sun? Now, I wouldn't think it  unfair to teach a kid that. There are numerous theories that are highly supported and warrant being taught as fact (at least until they can be proven wrong), evolution being one of them.