#1 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

Seriously. Next week Wednesday is the anniversary of the worst attack on American soil (I think more people died on 9/11, but Pearl Harbor was a FAR more serious and world/nation changing event).

So why isn't it a holiday? I live in Hawaii...its not a State holiday either.

Any idea why?

#2 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

Because people don't like celebrating days that mark anniversaries of military losses?

#3 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

I wonder why the day the nazis invaded France isn't a holiday in France. Oh wait....

#4 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Because people don't like celebrating days that mark anniversaries of military losses?

Isn't that what Remembrance Day is or am I getting something totally wrong? : (

#5 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -
@lazyturtle said:

Seriously. Next week Wednesday is the anniversary of the worst attack on American soil (I think more people died on 9/11, but Pearl Harbor was a FAR more serious and world/nation changing event).

So why isn't it a holiday? I live in Hawaii...its not a State holiday either.

Any idea why?

Because we have Veterans Day for that.
#6 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Quick! Somebody get KaosAngel on the phone - we obviously need a revision of his 'Happy Hiroshima Day' thread! Pearl Harbour style! 

Won't that be fun kids?!

#7 Edited by Marz (5655 posts) -

I'd consider 9/11 worse (mostly civilians died), Pearl Harbor was at least against a legitimate military target.

#8 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@babblinmule said:

Quick! Somebody get KaosAngel

I still run into him sometimes on the BF3 forums. : (

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Because we totally need another holiday right before Christmas.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Hailinel said:

Isn't that what Remembrance Day is or am I getting something totally wrong? : (

Veterans Day is in honor of the sacrifices our troops have made in general. Not a day of celebration in honor of a specific date we got our asses handed to us.

@babblinmule said:

Quick! Somebody get KaosAngel on the phone - we obviously need a revision of his 'Happy Hiroshima Day' thread! Pearl Harbour style! Won't that be fun kids?!

I hesitate to ask what happened to that lunatic in fear he might suddenly appear, Beetlejuice-style, commenting about that time he was in the food court with his friends before trying to promote that idea again.

#11 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:

@babblinmule said:

I feel for you... :(
#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

Why the hell would we celebrate the enemy victoriously attacking us.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Axxol said:

In this case, it would be justified. The images of Satan Claus and Pearl Harbor could merge a bit, bringing the notions close to reality (Satan Claus was fond of carpet bombing those who opposed him).

#14 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Because the attacks on Pear Harbor never happened, it's all a conspiracy.

@Hailinel: I'm pretty sure he was joining the Air Force or Navy. He made a thread talking about how he was going to abuse everyone that was a lower rank then him...

#15 Posted by Strife777 (1596 posts) -

@Marz said:

I'd consider 9/11 worse (mostly civilians died), Pearl Harbor was at least against a legitimate military target.

Yeah basically that. Don't get me wrong, a human loss is a human loss, but people in the military know the risks (especially in WW2), they are at war.

And if we start having a holiday for every significant event in history, it just won't end.

#16 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@babblinmule said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@babblinmule said:

I feel for you... :(

Good! he doesn't seem like a very nice person. : (

#17 Posted by Tearhead (2169 posts) -

Because that day is already reserved for... My Birthdaaaaaaay! :D

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -
@Strife777

@Marz said:

Yeah basically that. Don't get me wrong, a human loss is a human loss, but people in the military know the risks (especially in WW2), they are at war.

And if we start having a holiday for every significant event in history, it just won't end.

We wernt at war until after pearl harbor
#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Axxol said:

In this case, it would be justified. The images of Satan Claus and Pearl Harbor could merge a bit, bringing the notions close to reality (Satan Claus was fond of carpet bombing those who opposed him).

I think you're on to something.

#20 Edited by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -

@lazyturtle said:

but Pearl Harbor was a FAR more serious and world/nation changing event).

I don't really know about that anymore. It could be argued that American culture changed completely Post 9/11, as did much of the rest of the world. Pearl Harbor began our involvement in a conflict that we could resolve, did, and came out of stronger than ever in a few years, 9/11 put the US in a state of general fear, led to two of the longest US wars in history, the fracturing of our nation over whether or not the war is just, to the censorship of our media, constant invasions of privacy, and the violation of many of the rights US citizens once had. Our neighbors have tagged along with us in most of these conflicts and our interference has made areas such as the Middle East and Africa only more unstable and more dangerous, and while the US frets over what's left of Al Qaeda and new terrorist threats, nations such as China are catching up to us.

I mean, Pearl Harbor didn't even start the 2nd World War, it just got the US involved, but that would have happened eventually.

Anyways, just a thought, Pearl Harbor was terrible as was World War II, and many, many people died because of it. I don't see why taking the day off would help in honoring it, but I wouldn't mind.

#21 Posted by AjayRaz (12431 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Axxol said:

don't forget my girl girlbec--  

uhh, nevermind. forget i said anything. 
#22 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Hailinel: I'm pretty sure he was joining the Air Force or Navy. He made a thread talking about how he was going to abuse everyone that was a lower rank then him...

If that's the case, I hope his CO either knocks some sense into him or gives him a taste of his own medicine.

Not that I entirely believe he joined the military.

#23 Posted by Strife777 (1596 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Strife777

@Marz said:

True, my apologies for that mistake. But my point still stands, considering the war was on-going and it was probably just a matter of time before America got involved in it, by their own volition or not.

#24 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Pearl Harbor didn't change anything. We were going to go to war at some point or another anyways.

9/11 changed the world in many ways. And it isn't really a holiday either, we just have a moment of silence. I think that is appropriate for maybe another decade or so.

We don't need more holidays imo.

#25 Posted by H2Yo (17 posts) -

@Strife777: @Strife777 said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Strife777

@Marz said:

True, my apologies for that mistake. But my point still stands, considering the war was on-going and it was probably just a matter of time before America got involved in it, by their own volition or not.

Don't you guys remember Cole Phelps explaining that the US were blocking fuel depots, which instigated Japan to attack?

Also how many of you remember the bombings of Darwin, Australia in WW2? Not many I guess...

More bombs were dropped here than Pearl Harbor, heck it was bombed another 58 times over the years of 1942-1943. Australia don't have a public holiday for this specific event, they have ANZAC day for veterans across all of WW2.

#26 Edited by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

People forget about historical events that happened more than 5 minutes ago.

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13220 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Quick! Somebody get KaosAngel on the phone - we obviously need a revision of his 'Happy Hiroshima Day' thread! Pearl Harbour style! Won't that be fun kids?!

I hesitate to ask what happened to that lunatic in fear he might suddenly appear, Beetlejuice-style, commenting about that time he was in the food court with his friends before trying to promote that idea again.

If only... I miss that troll. There was some rumor about him being deployed for some military bullshit- but I see him on Steam all the time. I should ask him.

#28 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Isn't it the same reason we don't count 9/11 as a holiday? More of a day of remembrance.

#29 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Dont you guys already have a holiday to celebrate the losses of war in general?  Ive been to Pearl Harbour once.  It was really awkward being the only Japanese family there....

#30 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Oh no, it totally happened. The conspiracy lies in the fact that the government knew it was coming and allowed it to happen.

#31 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Oh no, it totally happened. The conspiracy lies in the fact that the government knew it was coming and allowed it to happen.

Yeah I know, I was just kidding.

#32 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Dont you guys already have a holiday to celebrate the losses of war in general? Ive been to Pearl Harbour once. It was really awkward being the only Japanese family there....

Yeah, that must be really awkward. I can only imagine what it would feel like for me to visit Hiroshima or Nagasaki. My grandfather was a Navy medic in the Pacific during the war, and he hated the Japanese until his dying day. Perhaps I will know one day. I'm planning on my next over-seas trip to be Japan.

#33 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Why isnt D day a national holidurr

#34 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Where do people get these topic idea's from?

#35 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@McGhee said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Dont you guys already have a holiday to celebrate the losses of war in general? Ive been to Pearl Harbour once. It was really awkward being the only Japanese family there....

Yeah, that must be really awkward. I can only imagine what it would feel like for me to visit Hiroshima or Nagasaki. My grandfather was a Navy medic in the Pacific during the war, and he hated the Japanese until his dying day. Perhaps I will know one day. I'm planning on my next over-seas trip to be Japan.

My grandfather fought in the Second World War but I barely know anything about him...  Ill ask my dad about him some day.  Ive been wanting to visit Hiroshima or Nagasaki but my family always goes to Tokyo.  My grandma escaped from Nagasaki before any bombs were dropped and her house was destroyed...  Damn I wish I could ask her what it was like
#36 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I think Veteran's Day covers that. (We should have that day off)

#37 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

If that's the case, I hope his CO either knocks some sense into him or gives him a taste of his own medicine.

Not that I entirely believe he joined the military.

If KaosAngel were to be believed, he's right now a super-secret agent in space having sex with three different women at the same time while signing autographs to fat kids who want to be like him.

#38 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

We already have Veterans' Day for that, but I still think 9/11 was a lot worse.

#39 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

It should only be a day of remembrance not a holiday.

#40 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Real reason why: It was on a Sunday,

#41 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

People don't like to remember that one day where they got caught with their pants down. 

Also, celebrating a loss like that seems like a terrible idea. "Heeey brah, today is "Happy oh-shit-someone-dropped-bombs-on-us-day" so what do you feel like doing?"  
Veterans day I get, but not a Pearl Harbor day... God, they would probably show the movie all day too. ugh

#42 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

People don't like to remember that one day where they got caught with their pants down. Also, celebrating a loss like that seems like a terrible idea. "Heeey brah, today is "Happy oh-shit-someone-dropped-bombs-on-us-day" so what do you feel like doing?" Veterans day I get, but not a Pearl Harbor day... God, they would probably show the movie all day too. ugh

" "Heeey brah, today is "Happy oh-shit-someone-dropped-bombs-on-us-day" so what do you feel like doing?""

Blowing myself up in a public place :D

I can be a human bomb!!

#43 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

@Strife777:

@Marz said:

I don't disagree about the every significant event comment..but there are a couple of events that are a much bigger deal than others to me. I'd include: PH Day, 9/11, 4/9 (Lee surrenders). All three of these events pretty much adjusted the course of US history in a significant way.

9/11 wasn't an act of war, it was a criminal act (the perpetrators didn't officially represent any government). While PH was a legitimate target..we weren't at war. While it might have been inevitable that the US got involved in WW2, it would have been a lot different of a war if it had started on our own terms.

Remember..12/7, a day which will live in infamy. Like I said, it's not even a holiday in Hawaii. This occurred to me as I was looking down on Pearl Harbor from a facility I frequent.

#44 Posted by dudeglove (7907 posts) -

A day celebrating the beginning of bombing the shit out of several thousand people is not exactly the best idea for a celebration. Maybe something to do with kittens instead. Kittens are cute.

#45 Posted by TheHBK (5488 posts) -

You don't make a holiday for every time something bad happens. Holidays are usually for celebration. Except Easter. Some guy gets fucked up and we get to hunt for eggs. Go figure.

#46 Posted by PenguinDust (12533 posts) -

The Second World War began September 1st, 1939, it just wasn't until December 7th, two years later that the US officially got involved. Unofficially, the US had been supplying the British, the Russians and others through the Lend-Lease program earlier that year. The American public was against getting pulled into more of Europe's disputes following World War I, so it took a direct attack on US forces to change public opinion. President Roosevelt controversially decided to focus the Nazi threat first before shifting to the Japanese.

I don't think there needs to be a federal holiday for every important event in American history. There are two holidays in the US to cover the service and sacrifice military people have made.