Why Linux is the Best

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By macandcheese

So my laptop was Bricked and I spent a good amount of time trying to fix it. I am happy to announce that the laptop has been fixed through my tireless efforts and with a good dash of help from the Ubuntu Support pages and natural ease of Ubuntu. So my efforts were centred around creating a Ubuntu Live CD which allows you to run Ubuntu from the CD without actually installing it on your machine. Its general uses are to let users try out Ubuntu without making a commitment immediately and also to help you fix your computer. I was hoping to get Ubuntu running again so I could at least use the web and basic functions then from there I could try to fix the computer and if that failed I could install Ubuntu again on the free space in my Hard Drive and then wait until I got home to recover my old files. Turns out Ubuntu is very smart. I got the disk running and made it to the Desktop, I noticed a link to my hard drive and used to to find that I could access my old documents. After this I restarted the computer to find that my problem was solved. As far as I can tell the computer had lost its way when it tried to access my Hard Drive and it did not know where to look, when I accessed the documents when I loaded up through the CD it reconstructed the computers path to the Hard Drive thus allowing me to boot up normally. 
     So enough tech talk, I actually did things today. The big draw for today was visiting the Archaeological Museum which contained most of the best pieces from Pompeii, things like frescos, it really whetted my appetite for seeing Pompeii tomorrow but I think that if I had to choose now I would go to Pompeii since it would give you a better idea about some of the things in the Museum. After the Museum I also visited the Castle nearby, not as interesting as I wished, it was a castle and the view was good. After exploring the attractions I went back to the Hostel and thats when I fixed the laptop. 
     While finishing up the laptop I met with the new Hostel mate who had just come from Athens and we decided with 2 other people to go to dinner at Sorbillo, one of the top pizza places in the city. I had a really simple Pizza the Margherita, it was just tomato sauce, mozzarella and Basil, its was amazing and the pizza was huge, it was maybe 7 inch diameter and the pizza only costed 3.3 Euro. The thing was amazing, the pizza was super flavorful and very filling, I actually finished the whole thing and it did not need anything more. I would say it was easily the best pizza I have EVER had. Tomorrow the weather should hold fair and I plan on going out to Pompeii so I should have photos and a blog for that tomorrow.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By macandcheese

So my laptop was Bricked and I spent a good amount of time trying to fix it. I am happy to announce that the laptop has been fixed through my tireless efforts and with a good dash of help from the Ubuntu Support pages and natural ease of Ubuntu. So my efforts were centred around creating a Ubuntu Live CD which allows you to run Ubuntu from the CD without actually installing it on your machine. Its general uses are to let users try out Ubuntu without making a commitment immediately and also to help you fix your computer. I was hoping to get Ubuntu running again so I could at least use the web and basic functions then from there I could try to fix the computer and if that failed I could install Ubuntu again on the free space in my Hard Drive and then wait until I got home to recover my old files. Turns out Ubuntu is very smart. I got the disk running and made it to the Desktop, I noticed a link to my hard drive and used to to find that I could access my old documents. After this I restarted the computer to find that my problem was solved. As far as I can tell the computer had lost its way when it tried to access my Hard Drive and it did not know where to look, when I accessed the documents when I loaded up through the CD it reconstructed the computers path to the Hard Drive thus allowing me to boot up normally. 
     So enough tech talk, I actually did things today. The big draw for today was visiting the Archaeological Museum which contained most of the best pieces from Pompeii, things like frescos, it really whetted my appetite for seeing Pompeii tomorrow but I think that if I had to choose now I would go to Pompeii since it would give you a better idea about some of the things in the Museum. After the Museum I also visited the Castle nearby, not as interesting as I wished, it was a castle and the view was good. After exploring the attractions I went back to the Hostel and thats when I fixed the laptop. 
     While finishing up the laptop I met with the new Hostel mate who had just come from Athens and we decided with 2 other people to go to dinner at Sorbillo, one of the top pizza places in the city. I had a really simple Pizza the Margherita, it was just tomato sauce, mozzarella and Basil, its was amazing and the pizza was huge, it was maybe 7 inch diameter and the pizza only costed 3.3 Euro. The thing was amazing, the pizza was super flavorful and very filling, I actually finished the whole thing and it did not need anything more. I would say it was easily the best pizza I have EVER had. Tomorrow the weather should hold fair and I plan on going out to Pompeii so I should have photos and a blog for that tomorrow.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheGremp

Giant wall of text is terrifying.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jambones

Loves me a good rescue CD. I've been on Linux a while now,  so I am not quite ready let it do all the thinking on it's own, but Ubuntu's great. I must bend it to my will!  ;-)

Sounds like you've been having some good times there...Made me so hungry....Man....   Have fun in Pompeii, Mac.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deusdigit
@TheGremp said:

"Giant wall of text is terrifying. "

Indeed, and while i generally like linux my self. i am unable to play many of the PC video games i like. 

EDIT: also the topic at hand seems to be falling off of topic more.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Black_Raven

Yep, the Ubuntu Live CD has helped me many times, even if it's just used as a means of using your computer because you can't be fucked fixing it right away.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By flaminghobo
@JakJ said:
" http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/supported_features.png "
Heh, nice.

@TheGremp said:
" Giant wall of text is terrifying. "
Stand back citizen, I'll handle this!
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Ben_H

Yeah, my Windows 7 RC is really unstable so I've been using Linux a lot.  I use Mint because I can't get flash to work with Ubuntu which makes using Giant Bomb tedious and not fun.  I really like Mint.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By phlegms

TL;DR

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RetroIce4

I use Ubuntu on one computer. I like everything except for all the updates at the start. First was like 400mb.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By pirate_republic

Yep, I usually have a duel boot with Ubuntu at hand. With a live cd of gparted. If it was fully compatible with Windows programs I would use it all the time.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
@macandcheese said:
"      So my laptop was Bricked and I spent a good amount of time trying to fix it. I am happy to announce that the laptop has been fixed through my tireless efforts and with a good dash of help from the Ubuntu Support pages and natural ease of Ubuntu. So my efforts were centred around creating a Ubuntu Live CD which allows you to run Ubuntu from the CD without actually installing it on your machine. Its general uses are to let users try out Ubuntu without making a commitment immediately and also to help you fix your computer. I was hoping to get Ubuntu running again so I could at least use the web and basic functions then from there I could try to fix the computer and if that failed I could install Ubuntu again on the free space in my Hard Drive and then wait until I got home to recover my old files. Turns out Ubuntu is very smart. I got the disk running and made it to the Desktop, I noticed a link to my hard drive and used to to find that I could access my old documents. After this I restarted the computer to find that my problem was solved. As far as I can tell the computer had lost its way when it tried to access my Hard Drive and it did not know where to look, when I accessed the documents when I loaded up through the CD it reconstructed the computers path to the Hard Drive thus allowing me to boot up normally.       So enough tech talk, I actually did things today. The big draw for today was visiting the Archaeological Museum which contained most of the best pieces from Pompeii, things like frescos, it really whetted my appetite for seeing Pompeii tomorrow but I think that if I had to choose now I would go to Pompeii since it would give you a better idea about some of the things in the Museum. After the Museum I also visited the Castle nearby, not as interesting as I wished, it was a castle and the view was good. After exploring the attractions I went back to the Hostel and thats when I fixed the laptop.       While finishing up the laptop I met with the new Hostel mate who had just come from Athens and we decided with 2 other people to go to dinner at Sorbillo, one of the top pizza places in the city. I had a really simple Pizza the Margherita, it was just tomato sauce, mozzarella and Basil, its was amazing and the pizza was huge, it was maybe 7 inch diameter and the pizza only costed 3.3 Euro. The thing was amazing, the pizza was super flavorful and very filling, I actually finished the whole thing and it did not need anything more. I would say it was easily the best pizza I have EVER had. Tomorrow the weather should hold fair and I plan on going out to Pompeii so I should have photos and a blog for that tomorrow. "
GTFO.
simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By simian

Ubuntu was my OS of choice for my laptop but I've been given a MBP and OSX with darwinports is good enough for what I need to do.
Windows for the media center running XBMC though VM's to load linux machines.
FreeBSD / Solaris for servers.
Different tools for different jobs.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By skrutop

Wow, that certainly was a lot of text there.  Keep up the good fight, brother (though I still have XP on everything).

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hitchenson
@phlegms said:
"TL;DR "

He thinks a bad OS is good.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MeierTheRed

You might need to draw your next post in crayons so that people will actually read it, cause apparently its just too demanding.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By farmer
@TheGremp said:
" Giant wall of text is terrifying. "
Giant wall? It has three paragraphs with a maximum of seven lines.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gizmo

Yeah, not reading that.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Eurobum
@JakJ said:
" http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/supported_features.png "
Yeah, flash has been a pain with the last Ubuntu incarnation (9.04 Jaunty), I'm using the 9.10 (Ubuntu Karmic Koala beta) right now and most of flash videos i can watch, though performance is still better when you download them first. 

People still need to learn linux basics, when they switch to Ubuntu. It's not made to keep people oblivious to the inner workings of the operating system. So Ubuntu Karmic Koala will be out end of this months (9.10). If you are not a PC-gamer who craves directX 10.1/11 (though WoW, TF2 and many older popular titles can be played under Ubuntu) there really is  no reason to purchase Win7.