#1 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

So I just checked my voice mail today..  A lawyer's office called me at noon today and didn't leave a voice mail...   

Why would they call me..... 

I'm going to call them tomorrow morning to see what's up but this is going to bother me all night...

#2 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

Did you do anything illegal?

#3 Posted by kerikxi (530 posts) -

Honestly, if it was something REALLY important, they would have left a message.

Maybe they heard your name on the voicemail and realized it was the wrong number?

#4 Posted by tsolless (465 posts) -

Lots of reasons.

Perhaps there is a group law suit (not sure of the technical name) that they figure you may be able to be  a part of. Perhaps there was an incident some time back that involved you that they are offering to represent you for. Maybe you're getting sued.

Who knows, dude.

#5 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

I don't have my name on my voicemail..  It just reads off the numbers...   

But nah, I haven't done anything illegal in a few years...   

Damn I hope no one is suing me..  

I looked up the law office and they don't a real website...  Just some weird site that doesn't look reputable...  (  http://web1.userinstinct.com/25673746-edwards-sammie-attorney.htm ) 

#6 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

An old woman called me and asked if I was the hospital once. 

Maybe something like that.

#7 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Sometimes they could be trying to scam you for your information, maybe like information fraud and stuff like that. He might not even be a real lawyer.

#8 Edited by altbotdos (124 posts) -

Illegitimate children are hard to decline, court requested tests are a bummer and can make the day a little rocky. I know how you feel, after about 8 of them, I just stopped carrying a phone with me. My permanent address is my parents house (I live with my dealer), which irritates them to no end. 

Freebird man.  

p.s. I like the bond pic

#9 Posted by tsolless (465 posts) -
@altbotdos said:
" Illegitimate children are hard to decline, court sequestered tests are a bummer and can make the day a little rocky. I know how you feel, after about 8 of them, I just stopped carrying a phone with me. My permanent address is my parents house (I live with my dealer), which irritates them to no end.  Freebird man.  "
Ha, what? Dude wasn't talking at all about parents or bastards. 

#10 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

WTF.... dug deeper on google and I see it is a "Ed Fenn Christian Counseling" place... that specializes in divorce and family law... 

#11 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -
@altbotdos said:
" Illegitimate children are hard to decline, court requested tests are a bummer and can make the day a little rocky. I know how you feel, after about 8 of them, I just stopped carrying a phone with me. My permanent address is my parents house (I live with my dealer), which irritates them to no end.  Freebird man.   p.s. I like the bond pic "
Hahhhh what man?  I don't think I have any kids out there.... But who knows...   

And thanks, Bond is the man.
#12 Posted by Nushi (28 posts) -

Might be you're required to appear at a hearing, or that you've got possession of disputed property, I work at a law firm and the family law stuff get's reall petty and ugly real fast. If someone obscure lent something to you and it's now an item that's under dispute may be that they're chasing that.  

#13 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -
@altbotdos said:
" Illegitimate children are hard to decline, court requested tests are a bummer and can make the day a little rocky. I know how you feel, after about 8 of them, I just stopped carrying a phone with me. My permanent address is my parents house (I live with my dealer), which irritates them to no end.  Freebird man.   p.s. I like the bond pic "
LOL
#14 Edited by altbotdos (124 posts) -

I wish I could take it all back... to relive it all over again.

#15 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

Now these bastards aren't answering the phone....  Damn it!

#16 Posted by armaan8014 (5316 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" Did you do anything illegal? "
Cool, nice trick with avatar :D
#17 Posted by jackbag (209 posts) -

Paternity suit.  

You're going to end up on Maury getting a DNA test. 

#18 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

Your parents get divorced?

#19 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

did you kill anyone lately? just askin, sort of thing happens all the time.  

no seriously, this lacks a whole lot of "cool story bro".  

lawyers call for ANYTHING. could just be advertising too.  

after i got in a accident, i was found not at fault, i had a MILLION lawyers calling me. thats what sucks about living in philly (or any big city for that matter), theres fucking lawyers EVERYWHERE, and the second they get informed of a possible lawsuit they ring your ear off. 

#20 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@doublezeroduck: No such things as aliens and they can't use the phone.
#21 Posted by Warfare (1632 posts) -

You in debt?

#22 Edited by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

Nope not in any debt and parents aren't getting divorced.. 

#23 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it's probably nothing man.

#24 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:

" @doublezeroduck: No such things as aliens and they can't use the phone. "

Think again 

#25 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Gabriel: You mean those types of aliens, I thought we were talking about ufos.
#26 Posted by lazyturtle (1227 posts) -
@MethodMan008: Just leave it alone. If its important in anyway, they'll call back. Or maybe you're parents are getting a divorce and just haven't told you yet.  

@tsolless:
 Its called a class action lawsuit. You are normally informed by mail first.
#27 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

Wrong number? That seems realistic.

#28 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

Maybe a long lost relative died and left you a billion dollars.

#29 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@jadeskye:  And the lawyer's like, "Oh well, guess I can keep the money myself."
#30 Posted by ManlyBeast (1134 posts) -

I know where you live.
#31 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Debt collectors bro.

#32 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -
@lazyturtle said:
" @MethodMan008: Just leave it alone. If its important in anyway, they'll call back. Or maybe you're parents are getting a divorce and just haven't told you yet.  

@tsolless:
 Its called a class action lawsuit. You are normally informed by mail first. "
I think I'm just going to let it go...   I don't owe anyone any money or anything of that nature...  Only thing I can think it might be is I sent my ex-fiancee a friend request on Facebook last week in a drunken stupor with the message "Hi, how are you doing"...  maybe she filed a restraining order or something like that?  But I would think in that case the police would contact me not some random family law lawyer?  I dunno.... 

I've called them like 10 times today and no answer...  So WTF
#33 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Sometimes they just call to ask if there's anything they can represent you with.  

#34 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

Most likely scenario: It's a collection agency, and you're doing exactly what they want you to do.

Let it go. If they call again, answer. If not, never think about it again.

#35 Posted by A_Dog (743 posts) -

Because you're a bloody wanker. 

#36 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

HOW DARE YOU YOU POM! 

pom wanker 

#37 Posted by DragonBloodthirsty (469 posts) -

Look, you don't need to be worried about a lawyer calling you and not leaving a message.  If they wanted something from you, they'd leave you a message.  It's likely that it was just a wrong number.

Even if it wasn't, it could be something as simple as "The place you used to work was sued in a class action lawsuit and you are entitled to a portion of the money".  One of places I used to work didn't give us breaks properly, but I never complained because I needed the money to eat.  I got a letter about it a few years later, but I was too busy to follow up on it (and I still wanted to be able to get a good reference from them -- hence not calling them out by name).  Another friend of mine had a similar opportunity, and made a nice Facebook post about how he got a $2 check from a class-action lawsuit, and "My ship has finally arrived.  I'm going to celebrate by buying a half gallon of gas."

In short, lawyers are people, but they don't actually have any authority.  If there really is a problem, you'll hear from them again; lawyers are tenacious if nothing else.

#38 Posted by Mickyykcim (24 posts) -

I've worked at various law firms over the years. A call from one with no message is probably a wrong number if it is actually from a law firm. Anything serious and you will get a letter, another phone call with a message, or an in person visit. So, don't worry about it. It's most likely a spam phone call with a fake caller ID.