• 53 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65f9e2f09d481
deactivated-65f9e2f09d481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I've been test driving Windows 7 (64-bit) recently and I like it. It's pretty much Windows Vista but with some cool enhancements. Some (minor) things I like:

• Dragging open programs on the taskbar and sorting their order.
  • The hover colour reflects the overall colour of the program's icon on the taskbar (e.g. pink for Last.fm, orange for Mozilla Firefox).
  • You can see the views of programs with multiple windows. For example, I have Google and YouTube open in Mozilla Firefox. I can hover over the icon on the taskbar, which shows me a thumbnail of those windows. I still prefer using tabs though over windows. You can do this on Windows Vista too but it will only show one Window.
  • Using and seeing themes being applied immediately. Interesting wallpapers, sounds and other settings in one package. I kinda get tired of 'Default' sounds and now they've added many more. Wouldn't mind the 'Musica' (think it was called that) sounds from Windows 98. Wallpapers often change if there are multiple ones in a theme too.
  • A more advanced Paint program. Calculator, WordPad looks better and a bunch of other programs have been improved.
  • Dragging two Windows to either side of the screen and having them of equal size next to each other.
  • Opening a new window is simple. Just middle click on the program you have opened on your taskbar. A little quicker than CTRL N! Neat. Of course, some programs will only allow one window (such as Last.fm and Windows Media Player), so this does nothing.
  • Windows XP in Windows 7 (download separate; need licensed copy of Windows XP). Not tried this but I really wanted to point it out.

I've been reading articles about Windows 7 and it seems whilst Microsoft promote this to be a major release, most changes seem to be minor. It looks like Windows Vista, it has user account control (the thing that pops up when making core changes) and many other elements too that were introduced in Windows Vista. It would be better as a service pack for Windows Vista. I would like to see some of these things come in the next service pack, although probably not going to happen, since Microsoft are not that nice. Although, one year of free Windows 7 - you can't complain!

If you've got Windows XP, then good for you (no, I'm not being sarcastic). That's a solid operating system and it's certainly going to be supported for some time. If you're wanting a fresh interface, enhanced security (whilst making some sacrifices) then go for Windows 7. No point getting Windows Vista now is there? Just wait for Windows 7. Suckers like me are keeping Windows Vista for a while, despite there being some interesting changes in Windows 7. Maybe I'll give in sometime.

Windows 7 (RC) is available now and you can use it for around a year, free. Around March next year, it will start to shut down on you if you haven't purchased the operating system. I have it installed on a different partition, so I can easily switch back to my other operating system. Good thing is, I can easily access my music, simply by adding the location from the other partition. Windows Media Player then picks up all those tracks, videos and organises them in your library. As for Mozilla Firefox, you can use the same profile as the one on your other operating system. So, switching back and forth keeps the same settings (and add-ons) throughout. It's a little complicated to explain but is possible. If I remember correctly, you can have this done automatically through an add-on (could just be bookmarks). Not tried any games but there could be some issues arise.

I recommend trying this out. It's very stable and available to download. It will last a year and you have the Ultimate edition. So, that's kinda cool having Windows free for a year, legally. If you're scared, then I recommend following the guide on Lifehacker (linked below). Everything is in tact on my main operating system and Windows 7 is treated separate. If you're interested in the Windows 7 wallpapers, you can download them here. I'll eventually get round to trying the new Ubuntu operating system too. Some screens to show off some parts of Windows 7...

(screenshots in gallery with larger views)

Useful Stuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been test driving Windows 7 (64-bit) recently and I like it. It's pretty much Windows Vista but with some cool enhancements. Some (minor) things I like:

• Dragging open programs on the taskbar and sorting their order.
  • The hover colour reflects the overall colour of the program's icon on the taskbar (e.g. pink for Last.fm, orange for Mozilla Firefox).
  • You can see the views of programs with multiple windows. For example, I have Google and YouTube open in Mozilla Firefox. I can hover over the icon on the taskbar, which shows me a thumbnail of those windows. I still prefer using tabs though over windows. You can do this on Windows Vista too but it will only show one Window.
  • Using and seeing themes being applied immediately. Interesting wallpapers, sounds and other settings in one package. I kinda get tired of 'Default' sounds and now they've added many more. Wouldn't mind the 'Musica' (think it was called that) sounds from Windows 98. Wallpapers often change if there are multiple ones in a theme too.
  • A more advanced Paint program. Calculator, WordPad looks better and a bunch of other programs have been improved.
  • Dragging two Windows to either side of the screen and having them of equal size next to each other.
  • Opening a new window is simple. Just middle click on the program you have opened on your taskbar. A little quicker than CTRL N! Neat. Of course, some programs will only allow one window (such as Last.fm and Windows Media Player), so this does nothing.
  • Windows XP in Windows 7 (download separate; need licensed copy of Windows XP). Not tried this but I really wanted to point it out.

I've been reading articles about Windows 7 and it seems whilst Microsoft promote this to be a major release, most changes seem to be minor. It looks like Windows Vista, it has user account control (the thing that pops up when making core changes) and many other elements too that were introduced in Windows Vista. It would be better as a service pack for Windows Vista. I would like to see some of these things come in the next service pack, although probably not going to happen, since Microsoft are not that nice. Although, one year of free Windows 7 - you can't complain!

If you've got Windows XP, then good for you (no, I'm not being sarcastic). That's a solid operating system and it's certainly going to be supported for some time. If you're wanting a fresh interface, enhanced security (whilst making some sacrifices) then go for Windows 7. No point getting Windows Vista now is there? Just wait for Windows 7. Suckers like me are keeping Windows Vista for a while, despite there being some interesting changes in Windows 7. Maybe I'll give in sometime.

Windows 7 (RC) is available now and you can use it for around a year, free. Around March next year, it will start to shut down on you if you haven't purchased the operating system. I have it installed on a different partition, so I can easily switch back to my other operating system. Good thing is, I can easily access my music, simply by adding the location from the other partition. Windows Media Player then picks up all those tracks, videos and organises them in your library. As for Mozilla Firefox, you can use the same profile as the one on your other operating system. So, switching back and forth keeps the same settings (and add-ons) throughout. It's a little complicated to explain but is possible. If I remember correctly, you can have this done automatically through an add-on (could just be bookmarks). Not tried any games but there could be some issues arise.

I recommend trying this out. It's very stable and available to download. It will last a year and you have the Ultimate edition. So, that's kinda cool having Windows free for a year, legally. If you're scared, then I recommend following the guide on Lifehacker (linked below). Everything is in tact on my main operating system and Windows 7 is treated separate. If you're interested in the Windows 7 wallpapers, you can download them here. I'll eventually get round to trying the new Ubuntu operating system too. Some screens to show off some parts of Windows 7...

(screenshots in gallery with larger views)

Useful Stuff
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By crunchUK

Changing paint?! heresy i say!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

So I have a question. Should I wait to get a laptop when they promise to upgrade it for free or have Windows 7 preinstalled? In other words is it worth waiting to buy a laptop to get this new OS?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ben_H

I got it too.  It's fantastic so far. Pinning items to the taskbar is actually useful now.  They made it so that your shortcut that you use to open it is also the link to reopen the page and minimize it.  They also added these little tick-thingies that tell you if you have multiple of the same thing open (Firefox and the download extension)

Here's what I'm talking about:

Note: Firefox tab
Note: Firefox tab
Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By guerrilla_mason

I'm thinking about installing 7 on my MacBook. I really like what I've been hearing about it.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By mracoon

I'm really excited for Windows 7. It looks like they've learned from the problems from Vista so that it looks good and is a stable operating system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a264ba32aa29
deactivated-5a264ba32aa29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been using 7 for a few months now and it's the best rendition of Windows in a long time. Cheers, everyone!

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By DBoy

I'm going to have to make the change to 7 when it officially comes out... and I'm just getting used to Vista too!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben_H: Yeah, rather neat. Better than just making a new icon, which uses up more space.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Demyx

I have the 64-bit as well, I'm really liking it so far.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I'll definitely buy Windows 7 when it comes out. :D

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adam_grif

I'll purchase it with my next PC. I'm still getting millage out of XP.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love windows 7. Just can't wait for the software to accomadate the new os.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Johnny5

cant wait.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Aaron_G

Windows 7 looks like it could be a really good version of Windows. I hope it works out, it gets old people ripping on Microsoft because of Windows Vista. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By KaosAngel

I heard it takes up 20 gigs of HDD space.  If this is the case, I can't use it.  I'm running OSX and I can't afford to give up 20 gigs JUST for the OS.  I give up the entire Windows Partition to 20 gigs.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai

And again Microsoft are copying Apple and features already present in Leopard. And now Apple ups the ante with Snow Leopard. Sad, just sad. 

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By justinnotjason
@Mordukai said:
" And again Microsoft are copying Apple and features already present in Leopard. And now Apple ups the ante with Snow Leopard. Sad, just sad.  "
Too bad most of those UI features were already present in most distros of Linux, and Linux ups the ante by staying open source. Sad just sad.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ben_H

It's about 16 gigs unless you are upgrading over Windows Vista, then it's less.  I didn`t notice a hut to my harddrive space when I got it.  A month later it still runs smooth.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshs
@Mordukai: Copy this, copy that. Your mom copied my mom by having a kid.

Oh, and Apple copied Rolex by making things way more expensive than a similar product for no legitimate reason.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai
@JoshS: Did you just compare the quality of Apple's products to Microsoft made products?. At least Apple does not try to cheat their costumers by putting half backed, untested components. At least Apple Does not charge hundreds of dollars for a cluster fuck of an OS. Apple's computers are expensive, yes. But you get what you pay for. I'll take Linux and OSX over windows any day of the week. AT least with them I don't get half assed os that may or may not run properly. 
joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshs
@Mordukai: Funny how all the Mac supporters say Windows is crap when I have no problems, and haven't for many years. Pro tip:  Don't click random shit thinking you know what you're doing unless you really do.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By JJOR64

I'm happy with Vista.  :-)  Might check out the final release if it gets some good buzz.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By justinnotjason
@Mordukai: Actually you don't at all get what you pay for. I hate this bullshit argument. The components of a Mac computer are in no way worth what they charge. Take all of those components off of a wholesaler such as newegg and you basically cut the price in half. Let's also assume that OSX is worth 200 bucks a shot (which I'm 90% sure it sells for less, but regardless). You still get a computer that cost almost half as much as they charge.

They have control of their market so they charge what they want, pure and simple, all Windows vs OSX bullshit aside.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mordukai
@JoshS said:
" @Mordukai: Funny how all the Mac supporters say Windows is crap when I have no problems, and haven't for many years. Pro tip:  Don't click random shit thinking you know what you're doing unless you really do. "
And you've proven me wrong on what subject exactly?! Be a Windows drone, I don't really care. OSX and Linux are better then windows and have been for years now. All the features Mr. L described in his blog are features already present in OSX and have been for years. maybe it's you are the one who needs do some research before posting. Windows 7 is much more stable then Vista but after 3 years I say its about damn time. 

I wonder how much Windows 7 will cost? 

ChopperDave47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ChopperDave47

i've been using the windows 7 beta, and the release candidate since it came out, and i have to say i'm very very pleased with what i've seen so far. it's already better than vista in almost every way possible, and it's only in beta.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By justinnotjason
@ChopperDave47 said:
" i've been using the windows 7 beta, and the release candidate since it came out, and i have to say i'm very very pleased with what i've seen so far. it's already better than vista in almost every way possible, and it's only in beta. "
What I'm about to say is off topic but, awesome name/avatar. Sealab 2021 was an awesome show.
ChopperDave47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ChopperDave47
@JustinNotJason said:
" @Mordukai: Actually you don't at all get what you pay for. I hate this bullshit argument. The components of a Mac computer are in no way worth what they charge. Take all of those components off of a wholesaler such as newegg and you basically cut the price in half. Let's also assume that OSX is worth 200 bucks a shot (which I'm 90% sure it sells for less, but regardless). You still get a computer that cost almost half as much as they charge.They have control of their market so they charge what they want, pure and simple, all Windows vs OSX bullshit aside. "
1. you're absolutely right, the hardware is not worth what they charge for it.
2. IMO, macs are still worth it (sort of) because of
           A. the TONS of software that come with it ( a lot of expensive stuff such as garageband) not to mention time machine, etc.
           B. the stability, cleanliness, and the overall look of the system. it's really really really pleasing to look at, the OSX desktop environment.
           C. their laptops are THE BEST. bar none. (unless you're looking for games)

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By justinnotjason
@ChopperDave47 said:
"
@JustinNotJason said:
" @Mordukai: Actually you don't at all get what you pay for. I hate this bullshit argument. The components of a Mac computer are in no way worth what they charge. Take all of those components off of a wholesaler such as newegg and you basically cut the price in half. Let's also assume that OSX is worth 200 bucks a shot (which I'm 90% sure it sells for less, but regardless). You still get a computer that cost almost half as much as they charge.They have control of their market so they charge what they want, pure and simple, all Windows vs OSX bullshit aside. "
1. you're absolutely right, the hardware is not worth what they charge for it.2. IMO, macs are still worth it (sort of) because of            A. the TONS of software that come with it ( a lot of expensive stuff such as garageband) not to mention time machine, etc.           B. the stability, cleanliness, and the overall look of the system. it's really really really pleasing to look at, the OSX desktop environment.           C. their laptops are THE BEST. bar none. (unless you're looking for games) "
yeah but here's my thing. They're offering everything you said there for 130 dollars, so the remainder of the price is transferred over to the hardware, which you agree is over priced.
Which would mean that the features really aren't worth it, technically.

Now the only reason they are worth it is because you can't get them anywhere else, which proves my point; that the only reason that Mac's are priced so high are because of the fact that they control their market. Not because they're actually worth it.

OS X Retail- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8559197&st=OS+X&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1188561458224
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mordukai
@JustinNotJason said:
"
@ChopperDave47 said:
"
@JustinNotJason said:
1. you're absolutely right, the hardware is not worth what they charge for it.2. IMO, macs are still worth it (sort of) because of            A. the TONS of software that come with it ( a lot of expensive stuff such as garageband) not to mention time machine, etc.           B. the stability, cleanliness, and the overall look of the system. it's really really really pleasing to look at, the OSX desktop environment.           C. their laptops are THE BEST. bar none. (unless you're looking for games) "
yeah but here's my thing. They're offering everything you said there for 130 dollars, so the remainder of the price is transferred over to the hardware, which you agree is over priced.

Now the only reason they are worth it is because you can't get them anywhere else, which proves my point; that the only reason that Mac's are priced so high are because of the fact that they control their market. Not because they're actually worth it.

OS X Retail- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8559197&st=OS+X&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1188561458224 "

IMO macs are still worth their price.  Their products are some of the best in the world. Even their " low end" computer, the mini, is an amazing workhorse. I have Logic, Final cut and Photoshop running on it without a single problem. Fuck, even with all these still use Garageband and iMovie. 

I only started using mac about 3 years ago, I was a hardcore windows users ever since windows 3.1. So after one day my old computer died a friend of mine recommended a mac. I got the mini and it works like a charm and purrs like a cat. I am never going back to windows ever again. 
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By TheHBK

Wow your post sounded like you were trying to sell us this thing but I have been using it too and have to agree with you.  It is fantastic.  I am gonna get a new Laptop when this comes out, but gonna wait and see if Apple puts in the new Core i7 chips into the 13 inch macbooks this holiday season and put it on that.  If not, I go with a pc laptop and enjoy what will probably be 6 gigs or ram by then.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By justinnotjason
@Mordukai said:
"
@JustinNotJason said:
"
@ChopperDave47 said:
"
@JustinNotJason said:

OS X Retail- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8559197&st=OS+X&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1188561458224 "

IMO macs are still worth their price.  Their products are some of the best in the world. Even their " low end" computer, the mini, is an amazing workhorse. I have Logic, Final cut and Photoshop running on it without a single problem. Fuck, even with all these still use Garageband and iMovie. 

I only started using mac about 3 years ago, I was a hardcore windows users ever since windows 3.1. So after one day my old computer died a friend of mine recommended a mac. I got the mini and it works like a charm and purrs like a cat. I am never going back to windows ever again. 
"
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the mac. I'm just saying there pricing is off. They offer all the capabilities you speak of for 130 bucks. Then they go and jack up the price on hardware because "legally" you can't put it on anything but their machines.
You could say it's business, but you know that they already factored in profit in the 130.

I'd love to have a MAC (along side a windows computer) but I can't justify spending that much on hardware. I'm not really into the whole mac vs PC thing. Just stick with whatever's most efficient for you. Just wish Mac would bring their prices down to competitive levels. They could probably have 50% of the market if they lowered their prices and expanded how much software they have. But then I suppose they'd run into compatibility issues. It's all a struggle either way.
Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Amilmitt

the best thing ive heard for the mac vs. pc is this
"macs are for those who dont want to tweak anything and just want the job done, and PC are for people who like to take risks and tweak stuff, and try things out."
personally i think i would be bored with a mac, my current computer keeps be busy with tweaking and some occasional problems(its just to damn slow for me)
Mac laptops are a complete waste of money, i could get the exact same thing for half the price, oh and guess what it could run OSX and im not lying.
buddy at school got a comp from an online site, he has just the right specs and got a partition of mac on it, works with no problems.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By justinnotjason
@Amilmitt:
Yeah Hackintosh or OS x86.
Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Amilmitt
@JustinNotJason: nope a pure mac OSX, nothing hacked nothing fancy. the computer just has to have the right hardware.
Nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nikita

I've always wondered what people mean when they say they can 'tweak' Windows. Do you mean like make it more efficient or change the look of GUI slightly? 

Also, Macs are a goddamn investment. Just across the room from me is a 7-year-old Mac running the latest release of OS X. It runs everything real smooth, too. Sure, OS X 10.6 won't run on it. But nobody has ever had to buy a new computer to run the latest version of OS X before, unlike what happened with Vista. A question like, "Should I wait to get a laptop when they promise to upgrade it for free or have Windows 7 preinstalled?" just isn't something that's asked when discussing Mac OS X.

Other than that, there are bunch of little things that make OS X great. Text anti-aliasing is complete trash. Oh, and Windows still doesn't have Helvetica. 

I don't know if anyone's noticed but the GUI of Windows 7 is pretty much identical to KDE from what I can see in screenshots.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Amilmitt
@Nikita: ive tweaked my GUI alot, it has a mac theme to it(mainly cause i wanted the dock) the dock has the same style and uses. there are other things but im not an uber tweaker.
that 7 year old mac may run its programs smooth but any computer would run its recommended programs fine if it was maintained. the reason people keep needing new computers is so that the newer programs run fast.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Meowayne
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Johnny5

Im really looking forward to this again, hell I might buy a new pc in unison with it.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By meptron

@L: Thanks for the links. I found them useful. I'm downloading as I write this and plan on doing a partition.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#42  Edited By the8bitNacho

Windows sucks.  OSX sucks.

I'm using DOS.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mordukai
@Amilmitt said:
" the best thing ive heard for the mac vs. pc is this"macs are for those who dont want to tweak anything and just want the job done, and PC are for people who like to take risks and tweak stuff, and try things out."personally i think i would be bored with a mac, my current computer keeps be busy with tweaking and some occasional problems(its just to damn slow for me) Mac laptops are a complete waste of money, i could get the exact same thing for half the price, oh and guess what it could run OSX and im not lying.buddy at school got a comp from an online site, he has just the right specs and got a partition of mac on it, works with no problems. "
ROLFLMAO, that is by far the most stupidest thing I ever heard. it is as stupid as Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calling Linux "A cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches" or when he said "...I am going to kill Google". You sound like that guy from the Laptop hunters ad where he looked at a mac and said that "macs are about the style not the computing power", I nearly about pissed myself  from laughing. I brought your post to friend of mine who is a very gifted programmer and he liked it so much he nailed it on his office wall. Thanks for the laughs. 
justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By justinnotjason
@Mordukai said:
"
@Amilmitt said:
" the best thing ive heard for the mac vs. pc is this"macs are for those who dont want to tweak anything and just want the job done, and PC are for people who like to take risks and tweak stuff, and try things out."personally i think i would be bored with a mac, my current computer keeps be busy with tweaking and some occasional problems(its just to damn slow for me) Mac laptops are a complete waste of money, i could get the exact same thing for half the price, oh and guess what it could run OSX and im not lying.buddy at school got a comp from an online site, he has just the right specs and got a partition of mac on it, works with no problems. "
ROLFLMAO, that is by far the most stupidest thing I ever heard. it is as stupid as Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calling Linux "A cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches" or when he said "...I am going to kill Google". You sound like that guy from the Laptop hunters ad where he looked at a mac and said that "macs are about the style not the computing power", I nearly about pissed myself  from laughing. I brought your post to friend of mine who is a very gifted programmer and he liked it so much he nailed it on his office wall. Thanks for the laughs. 
"
Hmmm.....I would make a comment about this but when you said gifted programmer it reminded me of what my Comp Sci professor said one time, i think it's a common quote. Went something like 98% of all programmers are lousy and should find another line of work. Not that I'm saying your friend isn't one of those 2% just pops into my head whenever anyone talks about good programmers.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mordukai
@Amilmitt said:
Ok, lets analyse the points he brought up in his post. 
1) "macs are for those who dont want to tweak anything and just want the job done, and PC are for people who like to take risks and tweak stuff, and try things out."
- Actually you can legally hack and "tweak" the shit out of your mac. Apple provides the source code along with x11 and x86 SDK to compile nix code for whatever app you want as well as getting the dev tools and support tools needed to do full development for your mac....for free.  With Microsoft you have to pay 250 a year, buy .net studio and you still do not get the source. If you use any of Microsoft's code you have to pay them royalties.

2)"...oh and guess what it could run OSX and im not lying. Buddy at school got a comp from an online site, he has just the right specs and got a partition of mac on it, works with no problems."
- Hackintosh just proved itself wrong by saying you can't tweek the OS and then mentioning running Mac OS X on non apple hardware. There are no installs out there that are native outside of apple hardware, they all require " Tweeked " or hacked code base or drivers to operate. The Maintainance and learning curve required to maintain and or troubleshoot a hackintosh is well above that of a normal " PC " user.

So..his argument is invalid. 
justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By justinnotjason
@Mordukai: Don't be so defensive. I'm pretty sure his comment wasn't even directed at you. It wasn't even malicious, he was just stating his opinion. Calm down.
Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Amilmitt
@Mordukai: im not trying to be mean here im just stating what ive heared.
plus that mac an a pc thing, its real no hackintosh. its a pure mac, But if you listened to what i said before You Need the Correct hardware or it wont work.
and the thing about legally hacking your mac, well i know some people who are big mac users and they have never heared or mentioned any of that, so thats why thats a bit invalid of a point.

But of course everybodys opinion is there own, just dont go calling me stupid and such. and your gifted programmer friend should try new things cause if he dosent know its possible hes behind.
my programming friend at school tries alot of different things(actually i have 2 prog friends they do some nutty things).
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RetroIce4

A Windows OS that is actually good compared to... Vista. XP was great too.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By GreggD
@JoshS said:
" @Mordukai: Funny how all the Mac supporters say Windows is crap when I have no problems, and haven't for many years. Pro tip:  Don't click random shit thinking you know what you're doing unless you really do. "
This guy knows what he's talking about.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mordukai
@Amilmitt: I will repeat again. There are no installs out there that are native outside of apple hardware. You need to check your sources. It is a Hacknitosh.