#1 Edited by BigJeffrey (5145 posts) -
Call Me "Master Chief"

So it turned out to be true, Windows Phone 8.1 update will bring it's answer to Apple's Siri Cortana your own personal lady in your phone. I really dont know if i'll use it but I'll totally be checking it out once the update hits. Also think it's pretty damn cool that they named it Cortana and got Jen Taylor to voice the assistant. As a huge Halo fan could not be happier since Cortana my waifu.

Update is free for all Windows Phone 8 (What's That?) phones.

The Verge

#2 Posted by Bones8677 (3271 posts) -

I wanna talk to Cortana...o_o

#3 Edited by mlarrabee (3031 posts) -

She has a great voice. Stupid Google Now doesn't even answer me!

#4 Posted by KirkyX (133 posts) -

I'm not willing to jump to Windows Phone for this.

I'm fucking close, though.

#5 Edited by Encephalon (1309 posts) -

Can I get her to say "I need you, Chief" while gazing at me plaintively?

#6 Edited by baka_shinji17 (295 posts) -

Pfff! Miku trumps her anyday!

#7 Edited by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

Neat feature. Not neat enough for me to switch from iphone but hopefully this help windows phone get some traction. I only know one person with a windows phone, and she hates it, but she's locked in a contract for another year.

#8 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1497 posts) -

So, is this like what Siri is for the iphone? I haven't read up on anything about this.

#9 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4296 posts) -

The most useful feature I could think of is the "remind me" for when to ask people something, like in a text or call.

The Lumia 930 is probably not coming to the US btw, but probably the Lumia Icon is getting re-released so it finally gets on to T-Mobile instead of Verizon, I'm thinking. Way more boring black & silver phones. Neat..

I saw that Verizon probably has a 6-month exclusive on the Lumia Icon. So the T-Mobile version wouldn't come out until August 20th. Cool..

#10 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

HUH..... still has that robotic speech patterns like siri. I thought we would be past that 30 years after max headroom

#11 Posted by zombie2011 (5035 posts) -

I really want a lumia 1020, i bought a 5s last year but i think i'm going to change to the Winodows eco system. I got rid of my macbook pro and now have a windows 8 laptop so it would probably sync better with my current stuff.

My current Siri voice is the british guy and he sounds dumb, i don't use Siri often but when i do it's doesn't work that well.

#12 Posted by ch3burashka (5180 posts) -

You're a pretty blue lady.

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

As something dumb, i fully support this. I only have an iPhone because i got it for a gift a few years ago (iphone4), but thats a cool use of a likable character.

#14 Posted by joshwent (2329 posts) -

Dumb. We all know that Siri is already completely flawless...

#15 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Yeah. The Internet had known about this for at least six months now. An update for a phone no one owns. Hooray...

#16 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -

I've always wanted to ask Cortana why Microsoft keeps making her breasts larger in each consecutive Halo game, and now I can finally make that dream a reality!

Still not buying a Windows phone.

#17 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

The prophecies have been fulfilled. This doesn't make me want a Windows Phone and I have no idea how well this system works compared to Siri, but I think it's actually pretty fucking great that they went ahead and did this.

#18 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

I've always wanted to ask Cortana why why Microsoft keeps making her breasts larger in each consecutive Halo game, and now I can finally make that dream a reality!

Her breasts increase with her AI - duh!

#19 Edited by RazielCuts (2982 posts) -
#20 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

That's pretty cool. I betcha that'll get at least a few Halo fans to hop on board just for the novelty.

#21 Posted by Village_Guy (2657 posts) -

Arrrhhh... I want that! I'm an idiot, but I really want that! No! Not gonna buy a dumb phone for that...

#22 Posted by Gatehouse (686 posts) -

Well, I've got to try it really. Got a Windows Phone just to try something different, now I have a new gimmick thing for it.

#23 Posted by selbie (1962 posts) -

MS just keep missing the boat with WP. They could have tied this to a Halo release. Windows Phone already had voice recognition built in to the first phones!

#24 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

As a huge Halo fan could not be happier since Cortana my waifu.

Amazing.

#25 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1188 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Dumb. We all know that Siri is already completely flawless...

XD haha

#26 Posted by m4r71n2012 (54 posts) -

I have a lumia 1020 and i really love it, this is probably something i will never use as i think siri is pointless too but cool idea anyway

#27 Posted by Random45 (1264 posts) -

@humanity said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

I've always wanted to ask Cortana why why Microsoft keeps making her breasts larger in each consecutive Halo game, and now I can finally make that dream a reality!

Her breasts increase with her AI - duh!

It all makes sense now!

#28 Edited by xyzygy (10065 posts) -

@shadowskill11 said:

Yeah. The Internet had known about this for at least six months now. An update for a phone no one owns. Hooray...

Over here in Europe the phone is thriving. I actually see Windows Phones about as equal as iPhones, and their popularity is only rising.

I've owned one for the past 3 years and while this one is super fucking old, it is absolutely reliable. I see my friends with their two year old iPhones and more especially Android phones that lag and slog through simple menus, while mine is still as buttery as when I got it.

#29 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@xyzygy: Sorry, American here. I tend to forget about other nations we aren't half heartedly shooting at. I had no idea Windows phone was popular anywhere. In the States Android dominates with Apple in second place. I forget if Blackberry or Windows phone takes haird.