Wireless pci-e card

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I built my first gaming rig last year and it's been amazing. However the built in wifi card that came with the mobo has worn out its welcome. Im getting about half strength signal at home where i used to get full with my iMac, and at some of my friends places I don't get a signal even when the router is mere feet away.

So I've been thinking about getting a wireless PCI-e card. Any suggestions?

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TyCobb

If you do get one, make sure to get one that has an antenna that is connected by cables to the card. You do not want one that a single antenna just screws into the back.

You want one like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122163

But not one like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124342

I have never had a good experience with the latter style. I am not recommending either product, just the style. Although I am pretty sure that Netgear is the one that was in my wife's computer and it worked OK. They can be such a pain in the ass sometimes and will do whatever I can to run an ethernet cable.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@tycobb: Thanks for the input. I would much rather run a wire too, but I'm at friends houses pretty often and a decent wifi connection is basically mandatory at this point. I had been considering saving for a laptop and making my setup at home a little more permanent but that's not really in the financial cards right now.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#4  Edited By Kidavenger
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3