Wisdom teeth removal - Permanent numbness??? HALP!

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DriveupLife

I got one troublesome wisdom tooth taken out on Thursday at 9 AM, its now Friday 6 PM (33 hrs later) and I still don't have feeling in the right side of my tongue! I called the doctor and he said the feeling will return gradually, but that was before 24 full hours had passed. Has anyone else gotten their wisdom teeth taken out and had numbness like this that didn't go away after 4 hours or so when the local anasthesia wore off? I'm fucking worried.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When I got my wisdom teeth removed a couple years ago I was told that numbness could last for awhile but almost always fades away. It depends from person to person. The reason for that is because the wisdom teeth are so close to the nerves in your mouth. Having them disturbed is fairly normal. If feeling hasn't returned in a week or two, then it might be an issue, but even then, it can still sometimes take longer to return. Only in very rare cases are loss of feeling permanent, as far as I know. (Fortunately though I had none of these issues.)

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

When I get teeth pulled it usually takes about 3-6 hours for the numbing needle to wear off, but I have heard it affects everyone differently. If it's still there when you get up tomorrow then I would go see a doctor as it's probably nerve damage.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Just don't try to bite your tongue. For the love of God don't bite your tongue.

Numbness will go away in a little while. Like the poster above said, if a week or two passes and it's still numb, then you should be worried.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Bestostero

Are you experiencing anything like this...

No Caption Provided
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says
@DriveupLife: Got em removed a couple of months ago and feeling returned in a few days (I slept most of the time so I can't recall too well). The surgeon should have mentioned the possibility of permanent numbness due to teeth being too close to jaw nerves. That happens in rare cases.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TheHBK

Numbess took a couple days for me.  Sucked ass too because my mom had made amazing food those days. 

Molenator85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Molenator85

Hey duder I also got my wisdom teeth taken out that exact same day at that exact same time no less. No problems to report though, bummer for you.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JammyJesus

I would suggest asking a professional, not a community on a video game website.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doctorchimp
@JammyJesus said:

I'm a dentist.

You should smash a bottle and chew on the glass until feeling returns.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By imsh_pl

Touch her shoulder.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By gearhead
@JammyJesus said:

Are you saying that I, as a 17 year old freshman in college, majoring in business, who likes to play video games is not an expert on dental health? For shame. 
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

No idea. All four of my wisdom teeth came through fine and I still have them. 

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jmfinamore
@OllyOxenFree said:
Just don't try to bite your tongue. For the love of God don't bite your tongue.

Numbness will go away in a little while. Like the poster above said, if a week or two passes and it's still numb, then you should be worried.
Oh man, I remember the first time I had my mouth numbed, I kept pinching my lip because it felt so cool that it didn't hurt. Cut to a few hours later and my lip was fucked for like a week. 
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Not for wisdom teeth, but I had my mouth numbed at the dentist relatively recently and it lasted for days.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fajita_Jim

As long as your mouth is swollen, you can experience numbness. As someone else said, the roots of wisdom teeth are close to the maxillary nerve which is basically a bundle of all the nerves that go into that side of your jaw. Swollen tissue around this point can separate the axons of the nerves to the point they don't function. Once the swelling goes down, they'll fire back up.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By HydraHam

If your mouth is still 100% numb and your mouth isn't swollen you could have a problem going on, you might want to do a check up asap.

When i had mine removed mine stayed numb for about 24 hours, it really depends on the person, i also had a tooth removed because i didn't have enough to pay for a root canal and i was only numb for about 6 hours. try going to the ER tomorrow, you have nothing to lose by doing so.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By dillonwerner

Never had any of mine pulled thankfully.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Pibo47

When i got my wisdom teeth out i got laughing gas. Holy shit that was amazing.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Dany

My tounge was numb for maybe 3 days. I had some weird nerve twitching when I would stretch out my tounge, my left cheek would burn but that went away in a week.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RsistncE
@DriveupLife said:
I got one troublesome wisdom tooth taken out on Thursday at 9 AM, its now Friday 6 PM (33 hrs later) and I still don't have feeling in the right side of my tongue! I called the doctor and he said the feeling will return gradually, but that was before 24 full hours had passed. Has anyone else gotten their wisdom teeth taken out and had numbness like this that didn't go away after 4 hours or so when the local anasthesia wore off? I'm fucking worried.
Sometimes the orthodontal surgeon can cause minor damage to some of the nerves in that area, but in nearly all cases sensation generally returns to the area. Only in rare cases in the damage permanent or serious. Of course if things don't get better gradually over the next day or so then I'd call up your orthodonal surgeon asap.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By teh_destroyer

@Pibo47 said:

When i got my wisdom teeth out i got laughing gas. Holy shit that was amazing.

Whenever I got laughing gas at the dentist they would torcher me with dumb jokes and I would bust out laughing at all of them, good times.