• 80 results
#1 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -

For the past couple days I have been almost in tears from this pain. Actually sometimes I have literally been in tears. Right now it's really fucking bad, I can feel my jaw throbbing every time my heart beats. Since a lot of us here are the age when wisdom teeth come in, I figured this was an alright place to ask! Do any of you have any helpful hints for making this pain even just a little bit more bearable? Really ANY advice or your stories would be appreciated. Even just knowing that I'm not the only one with this horrible pain would help... :(

#2 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Heat usually helps me with toothache, hot water bottle and hold it on the side that hurts.

#3 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

Warm towel, whiskey,  aspirin,  anbesol.

#4 Posted by JCTango (1361 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" For the past couple days I have been almost in tears from this pain. Actually sometimes I have literally been in tears. Right now it's really fucking bad, I can feel my jaw throbbing every time my heart beats. Since a lot of us here are the age when wisdom teeth come in, I figured this was an alright place to ask! Do any of you have any helpful hints for making this pain even just a little bit more bearable? Really ANY advice or your stories would be appreciated. Even just knowing that I'm not the only one with this horrible pain would help... :( "
You should really get your wisdom teeth taken out if they're hurting man :(...  if they're impacted, they could really screw up your teeth!  My dentist had me take out all 4 of mine even though a few weren't impacted - they're a pain to keep clean.
PS:  They suggest tylenol 3 if you had them taken out recently.  Don't take em  if you're not in super pain though.. that stuff is dangerously addictive to some.
#5 Edited by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@JCTango: Since it started Friday night I couldn't call to make an appointment but I'm going to first thing tomorrow morning. Well, this morning :P I can't sleep because of the pain. I really just want him to take out all of them because I never want to have to go through this ever again!
#6 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

Wisdom teeth are the single most dramatic health-related issue I've had in my twenty-three years of life. I've broken bones and had some serious lacerations before, but I'd rank my wisdom teeth experience above all that. 

I let my (impacted) wisdom teeth go unaddressed for way too long, and it got to the point where I was routinely spitting out thin shavings of tooth matter because my wisdom teeth were grinding against my molars because of the angle at which they were protruding through the gums. Constant headaches at the peak of the trauma. And the headaches were bad. Fucking bad. 

Ultimately, the only thing you can do is get x-rays done on your jaws and determine whether it's a legitimate wisdom tooth issue or something different. But it totally sounds like your wisdom teeth are making their presence known. And if that's the case, then your only option is to have them removed. Some people are blessed with wisdom teeth that cooperate with the rest of their mandible structure, but most aren't.

Long story short, I had my wisdom teeth (all four) surgically removed last summer. The operation itself was ridiculously fast. Like, over-before-I'd-realized-they'd-started fast. The recovery period was definitely the hardest for me. Some people have bragged to me about their ability to walk out of the operation and take not a single Vicodin before feeling fine, but that was about the farthest reality from my experience. I didn't get dry socket, but my jaw swelled pretty good and I was taking a consistent dose of Vicodin (talking, like, one every four hours) for a solid two weeks after the surgery. And the pain/swelling combo made eating a really frustrating venture. I wasn't really able to open my mouth wide enough to enjoy a sandwich until probably a month or six weeks post-operation. It was really the most unenjoyable post-surgery process I've ever had.

Get the surgery, though, man. Because the post-surgery stress is nothing compared to living day-in and day-out with the dreadful existence that is living with emerging wisdom teeth. 
#7 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

Wow that sucks, my wisdom teeth came in just fine, sounds really painful. 

#8 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: Did you feel anything through the actual surgery? I'm more scared about the surgery than the after effects.
#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Advil saves all.

I actually never had any harsh wisdom tooth pain. Maybe that's strange. Oh well, I'm happy about ti.
#10 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -
@xyzygy: Not at all. They'll put you to sleep. It's literally like blinking, and then being delirious for a few seconds after realizing you've slept through having a dude cut bone out of your skull. 
#11 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

my mouth is kinda weird.   My top left wisdom tooth and my bottom right wisdom tooth have grown out a few years ago.   But the bottom left and top right wisdom tooth have yet to make an appearance at all.

#12 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

Cloves, put two cloves each side of the tooth and it should numb the pain a little,
#13 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@Marz said:
" my mouth is kinda weird.   My top left wisdom tooth and my bottom right wisdom tooth have grown out a few years ago.   But the bottom left and top right wisdom tooth have yet to make an appearance at all. "
My two top teeth are in perfectly and they feel just like any old tooth but it's the bottom ones that are giving me trouble.
#14 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

Have you tried Ibux or other painkillers? It won't take it away entirely, but it will atleast help a little.

#15 Posted by diz (918 posts) -
@Red12b said:
" Cloves, put two cloves each side of the tooth and it should numb the pain a little, "
Or clove oil - for instant, although brief pain relief
#16 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Get them pulled, get some heavy pain medication and relax (to the best of your ability) for the next few days. If worse comes to worse, take a warm bath and get really low in the warm water. The steam helps relax my muscles and soothes my sinuses, which is where I feel a lot of pressure.

#17 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -
@choffy21: Yours is good advice. When I was doped up on Vicodin I played through, like, four games I'd meant to get through and I read seven books. Two in one day, even!
#18 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@foggel: Yeah I've been popping acetaminophen and ibuprofen all weekend.

@Red12b: What is Cloves? Like the spice?
#19 Edited by Raakill (870 posts) -

Try gargling with warm saltwater, BC headache powder always helps my toothaches too. 

Edit: Both solutions taste awful but always helped me.
#20 Posted by diz (918 posts) -
@xyzygy: 
Oil of cloves is the medical application of the Clove spice. It is used in dentistry and dispensed by chemists.
#21 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @foggel: Yeah I've been popping acetaminophen and ibuprofen all weekend.

@Red12b: What is Cloves? Like the spice?
"
ya@diz said:
" @xyzygy: 
Oil of cloves is the medical application of the Clove spice. It is used in dentistry and dispensed by chemists.
"
This guy has your back 
#22 Posted by mrfizzy (1528 posts) -
@Marz said:
" my mouth is kinda weird.   My top left wisdom tooth and my bottom right wisdom tooth have grown out a few years ago.   But the bottom left and top right wisdom tooth have yet to make an appearance at all. "
you may not have them or you might but they may never come down/up. I had my two top ones come down and nothing happen on the bottom, went to my dentist who sent me for x-rays, turns out i didnt have any on the bottom at all. Neither of my parents had them at all and my sister had all four. 
#23 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

im 23 and mine have yet to appear. Im fairly sure my dentist said they'd probably never come in

#24 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Try powered aspirin (or crushed aspirin) packed inside some sugar free chewing gum, stick it locally where the pain is.

#25 Posted by EricSCH (16 posts) -

You may want to ask the doc for a cortison injection after the operation. It's a really small dose of cortison and it prevents any kind of swelling, which'll make the recovery process a lot easier.

#26 Posted by artofwar420 (6286 posts) -

@xyzygy: Go to you doctor, tell them about this. They probably will give you some strong peelz and schedule a removal. After said removal you will also get strong peelz.

PROFIT.

#27 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

Grab a friend and have them kick you in the balls as hard as he can. If he does it right you will be so overcome with pain that you will completely forget about your wisdom teeth.

#28 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -

First, make dentist appointment, ASAP. That should frankly have been your first move, instead of asking the internet for advice.
Second, take painkillers untill dentist appointment where the dentist will most likely tell you thast you need your wisdom teeth pulled out.
The rest will work itself out.

#29 Posted by TooWalrus (13178 posts) -

I don't know how you feel, my wisdom teeth came in perfectly, I only had them removed to make room for the braces to work properly. Tooth pain is the worst, isn't it?

#30 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -

Hold a mouthful of whiskey against the affected area until it goes numb, then try and get to sleep in the ten minutes before it starts hurting again.  Repeat until you see a dentist.  In my experience, having them taken out was nothing, I just felt like I'd been punched in the mouth for a couple of days.  Which obviously is better than being in constant agony!  

#31 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" For the past couple days I have been almost in tears from this pain. Actually sometimes I have literally been in tears. Right now it's really fucking bad, I can feel my jaw throbbing every time my heart beats. Since a lot of us here are the age when wisdom teeth come in, I figured this was an alright place to ask! Do any of you have any helpful hints for making this pain even just a little bit more bearable? Really ANY advice or your stories would be appreciated. Even just knowing that I'm not the only one with this horrible pain would help... :( "
Get something that would come close in texture to the teething rings babies use...my remedy when I woke up at night in pain was chewing on my finger for a while, the pressure helps.
#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Nothing worked for me but having the teeth yanked out. At one point I had taken 3 Tylenol 3 with codine and 6 extra strength Tylenol and it didn't even take the edge off. After they yanked them out though it was gone almost instantly. The gums were a bit tender for a few days after, but there was no real pain after the surgery for me. The worst part is the smell/taste of dead rotting flesh in my mouth. That took about a week to go away.

#33 Posted by GrandHarrier (180 posts) -

While this isn't entirely appropriate to the situation, I had to deal with the pain from a tooth that eventually was crowned about 6 months ago. I too didn't realize what was going on until friday evening, well past any chance of getting a dentist to take a look at it. I had to endure the pain for almost 3 days. What you need to realize is that nothing is going to really work to make things pleasant for you; The best you can hope for is taking a slight edge off of the problem. But you can try these: hot salt and honey water. Like, really hot. Then gently swish it around the teeth that are bothering you. Not the best but it should help a little bit. Of course, you can also head to the store and buy some orajel; Simple but effective, it does a pretty good job of numbing the area for 30m or so per application. So just liberally spread it around and then, as someone earlier suggested, SLEEP. Sleep as much as you can.

Also, I too have had my wisdom teeth removed and its just as some people have said, you blink and *boom* you are done. That same day I went to the library with gauze in my bloody mouth to use the computers there (back in like early 2000.) But eventually had to go back home and pass out for a couple days. After that it was great.

#34 Edited by jNerd (2011 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

Bro.... I'm having the same problem. I've been eating 3 extra-strength Tylenol every few hours. Ibuprofen helps since it's an anti-inflammatory. I also take a percocet every few days.
Main advice is call a dentist ASAP!
#35 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

Had mine removed before they even came up, the recovery was a pain but its nice to know ill never have problems.

#36 Edited by fr0stb1te (71 posts) -

Alright, as both an army medic and a guy who just had his wisdom teeth out, here's my advice.
Both Ibuprofin (Advil, Motrin, etc) and Acetominophen (Tylenol) regularly. 
Ibuprofin is for the swelling and needs time to get into your system, so you can't really take it as needed. You need to adhere to a schedule. Acetominophen is more for straight up pain, so you can be a bit more lax with it.

Cepracol or some kind of antibacterial lozenge might help with the pain depending on what medication it's based on. At the very least it'll help prevent an infection. Ask a pharmacist, they'll be able to help you with painkillers more than any of us here.

You've likely already called your dentist, but if you haven't yet, make sure you mention you're in *pain*. Lots of pain. If you're lucky they'll be able to fit you in sooner because of your situation.

You're probably going to be given the choice of either having the dentist remove the offending teeth in his office, or be sent to a hospital to have it done by an Oral Surgeon. If they're bad enough, you might be forced to go to a hospital.

I had one taken out by the dentist, the other 3 in a hospital. The experience is different depending, but totally pain free in either case.
It took the dentist 35 minutes to remove the one tooth, and I was conscious (although full of local anesthetic (freezing)) the whole time.
Took the surgeon 22 minutes to get the other 3, and the IV sedative had me out like a light.

Cheers.

Edit: If you're curious about recovery, it varies widely from case to case. Some people are a wreck and take a while to heal with the aid of heavy medication such as vicodin (which was mentioned I think). Others like myself are eating solid food after 24 hours, and don't even get prescribed a painkiller (FUCKERS). 

Also, If you're thinking about having it done in a hospital, you might be in for a wait. It took 6 weeks for me to get an appointment here in Canada. The one I had removed by the dentist was because I just couldn't bear it any more.

Edit 2: I'm just going to keep adding as I remember. A few things other things that may help. 

Like was already mentioned, salt water rinses are a good idea. Warm water and salt, swish it around the affected area, spit, repeat. Might not have a dramatic effect, but takes the edge off and prevents infection. You're going to be told to do this post op to keep the area clean and prevent dry socket.

There is also tropical benzocaine that I've prescribed before for mouth pain that I heard good things about. One of the brand names is Orajel IIRC. It's only a temporary fix and you have to be sure to follow the directions and not use too much.
#37 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@rflx said:
" First, make dentist appointment, ASAP. That should frankly have been your first move, instead of asking the internet for advice.
It was the weekend, my dentist isn't opened on the weekend. I called firs thing this morning. And they got me in for today! I go in in a few hours

@fr0stb1te: Wow thanks for all that advice! I totally forgot about Orajel and I didn't know that you can take Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen art the same time. I just did. Hopefully it'll be good for until I go to see the doc in a few hours.
#38 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

Good luck dude. Dentists are the fucking worst! Also if they end up doing anything crazy to you, make sure you have a ride waiting. For some reason they aren't too keen on letting goofed up people drive home.

My wisdom teeth pain comes and goes. Right now I'm just fine, but out of the blue one can decide to start hurting like hell and it gets to the point where I can only chew on one side of my mouth. After a week or so, it just goes away and everything is fine and dandy. Weird things those wisdom teeth.
#39 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok: Did you feel anything through the actual surgery? I'm more scared about the surgery than the after effects. "
personally i didnt feel a thing.... well actually if I did then I dont remember it because they gave me some drugs that made me loopy and while I was conscious I dont remember it and if you have ever had 1 too many drinks you will know that if you dont remember something then it basically didnt happen in your mind.  The after effects arent bad and they will give you vicodin to help ease the pain
#40 Posted by Maluvin (265 posts) -
@fr0stb1te: @fr0stb1te said:
" Alright, as both an army medic and a guy who just had his wisdom teeth out, here's my advice.
Both Ibuprofin (Advil, Motrin, etc) and Acetominophen (Tylenol) regularly. 
Ibuprofin is for the swelling and needs time to get into your system, so you can't really take it as needed. You need to adhere to a schedule. Acetominophen is more for straight up pain, so you can be a bit more lax with it.

Cepracol or some kind of antibacterial lozenge might help with the pain depending on what medication it's based on. At the very least it'll help prevent an infection. Ask a pharmacist, they'll be able to help you with painkillers more than any of us here.

You've likely already called your dentist, but if you haven't yet, make sure you mention you're in *pain*. Lots of pain. If you're lucky they'll be able to fit you in sooner because of your situation.

You're probably going to be given the choice of either having the dentist remove the offending teeth in his office, or be sent to a hospital to have it done by an Oral Surgeon. If they're bad enough, you might be forced to go to a hospital.

I had one taken out by the dentist, the other 3 in a hospital. The experience is different depending, but totally pain free in either case.
It took the dentist 35 minutes to remove the one tooth, and I was conscious (although full of local anesthetic (freezing)) the whole time.
Took the surgeon 22 minutes to get the other 3, and the IV sedative had me out like a light.

Cheers.

Edit: If you're curious about recovery, it varies widely from case to case. Some people are a wreck and take a while to heal with the aid of heavy medication such as vicodin (which was mentioned I think). Others like myself are eating solid food after 24 hours, and don't even get prescribed a painkiller (FUCKERS). 

Also, If you're thinking about having it done in a hospital, you might be in for a wait. It took 6 weeks for me to get an appointment here in Canada. The one I had removed by the dentist was because I just couldn't bear it any more.

Edit 2: I'm just going to keep adding as I remember. A few things other things that may help. 

Like was already mentioned, salt water rinses are a good idea. Warm water and salt, swish it around the affected area, spit, repeat. Might not have a dramatic effect, but takes the edge off and prevents infection. You're going to be told to do this post op to keep the area clean and prevent dry socket.

There is also tropical benzocaine that I've prescribed before for mouth pain that I heard good things about. One of the brand names is Orajel IIRC. It's only a temporary fix and you have to be sure to follow the directions and not use too much.
"
This is superb advice all around.

One thing to be careful about acetominophen: watch your dose and  be cautious about mixing it with anything that also gets processed by the liver.  Tylenol is generally safe but people take it with things like alcohol and cold medicine that also contain acetominophen and it can really beat up your liver in high doses.  Having had really bad tooth pain in the past and understanding the desire to make the unbearable pain stop at almost ANY cost  I just urge  you to be careful and think about what goes into your system.   

I found that being consistent with a rotating schedule of Ibuprofin and Acetominophen worked well.    Ibuprofin gets processed by your system differently so can often be used in conjunction with other things.   If you have other health issues or medications to take into consideration I'd advise calling in and see if they have any pain management advice for you.

The first night when I couldn't make it to the store to get topical benzocaine (Orajel) I did use cloves to numb the pain.  At first I used ground clove but it was old and I had a container of whole cloves as well and just stuck one between the gum and my cheek near the offending tooth.  Cloves contain eugenol which has anesthetic properties.   It definitely works but I've heard it can irritate the area if left for too long for some people.  I have no scientific advice to offer on that;  I just know it worked well for me.

Hope someone has been able to check it out for you by now.  Good luck!
#41 Posted by fr0stb1te (71 posts) -

The only drug interaction that comes to mind in your situation would be Ibuprofin and Aspirin (ASA), as they both thin your blood. 

And realistically you're not going to take too much Ibuprofin and/or Acetominophen unless you do it on purpose.
Never combine any drug with alcohol. Ever.

This is starting to get off topic now though. I hope you get taken care of soon buddy. Feel better.
#42 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Get them out, then take Hydrocodone and lose all memory of the next several days of your life. Worked like a charm for me.

#43 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

The only permanent solution is to get them pulled. Though, most wisdom teeth pain is caused by infections or inflammation, so if you can get your hands on some general antibiotics or anti-inflammatory meds that should help as well. 

#44 Posted by lucky13devil (2 posts) -

Yeah like everyone is saying... pull them out! Your mouth will be soar and full of blood for about a week after they're pulled out, but it's worth the trouble. Just eat lots of soft foods like yogurt in the mean time.

#45 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -

I just got back from the dentist: He's taking my two bottom wisdom teeth out! My top two are in and fit perfectly so it's just the bottom they're worried about. I feel so much happier! But still am in a lot of pain... :P

#46 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I actually got my wisdom teeth out on Friday! Still hurts pretty bad and I'm almost out of Vicodin. :( Seems like hot compresses is the way to go. If you fill a cloth with uncooked rice and heat it in the microwave, it makes a nice hot pad to put on your face.

#47 Edited by MisoRonery (468 posts) -

How very fortuitous that this was at the top of the forum!  I woke up a week or so ago with small pieces of what I guess were my wisdom tooth in my mouth, and have been in a moderate amount of throbbing pain since.  The nerve doesn't seem to be exposed, but it doesn't feel great.
Long story short, I probably should have had them out years ago, and have been avoiding dentists like the plague.  I'm currently uninsured, and unemployed, and was curious what kind of monetary setback getting 2-4 of the bastards removed is likely to be?  I'm in the US if it matters.

#48 Edited by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@Dtat: What's it like where the teeth used to be? Will they forever be holes or is it like a cave kinda thing?

@MisoRonery: Sorry buddy, couldn't tell you. I'm in Canada and all I need is to be insured under my parents and everything is taken care of. I can't imagine it would be TOO expensive though, it's not like putting braces on or anything.
#49 Posted by DystopiaX (5301 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Dtat: What's it like where the teeth used to be? Will they forever be holes or is it like a cave kinda thing? "
Some of the gums healed back, there's a small depression but not anywhere near as deep as right after the surgery.

As for pain, I can't really help you. When I did it, either I did it earilier than you (before they were grown all the way in) or my jaw is bigger or something, but I barely felt any pain at all. Hurt while I had to bite down on those gauze pads and there was a mild ache for about 2 hours after that, but I was off pain medication by the end of that day (I had the operation at 10am)
#50 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@DystopiaX: Holy hell! That sounds like it went awesome for you, only a day of pain! Another guy on here said it was terrible, for over 3 weeks for him. Guess I'll just have to wait and find out. (PS: This is the first time my wisdom teeth actually hurt. I'm assuming they were growing fine before this)