#1 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -


#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

by the time e3 comes around sopa will be dead or passed

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5732 posts) -

This thread is terrible and you should feel bad.

Online
#4 Posted by James_ex_machina (899 posts) -

Sure, I'll boycott like I do every year but with a reason.
As long as I can still go to PAX.

#5 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Basement nerds vs. Congress

A battle of the ages.

#6 Posted by 49th (2851 posts) -

SOPA is shit and all but I'm annoyed that Newgrounds is blacked out because I can't watch dumb flash movies.

#7 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

I'm more annoyed by Wikipedia. Also, should I finally find out what the fuck SOPA is?

#8 Posted by Winternet (8059 posts) -

This is an assault to human integrity.

#9 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

Here is the video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8S8eJkMW8

I also wanted to give my opinion on the matter. I've seen a couple of threads were some people don't like the content that is created by the video game journalists and developers on the video and some don't think that boycotting E3 will do anything, but whether you like the guys or not or whether you think boycotting E3 will work isn't the point. We are all against SOPA and PIPA, we know nothing good can come of them and I think we need to express this and this is our chance to. If boycotting E3 turns out to do nothing, then so what. All it can do is show is our lack of support for SOPA and PIPA. The people behind SOPA and PIPA are probably thrilled that SOPA and PIPA got this far in the first place, and they're probably counting on people not expressing their hatred for these Bills.

But this is just my opinion, if you think differently then post below etc.

#10 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

I hate you for making such a long title. I know that's not really a reason to hate somebody, but my hate is a deep one and I cannot just forgive and forget. This title needs to die away in the wastes and pools of history. Never again, I say.

#11 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@AlisterCat: Why?

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@Duffy: What's the trick to making the long titles? I did it once by some weird copy/paste/delete thing but I could never get it to work again. Just want to know for those one or two times I'm a couple characters short of my title description making sense.

#13 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@Buscemi: I don't care Buscemi, because it doesn't matter.

#14 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@crusader8463: I just typed to the end hoping it wouldn't cut me off, and funnily enough it didn't. I didn't want to make a long title myself it's just there was nowhere that I could give the poll context.

#15 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Sooty said:

Basement nerds vs. Congress

A battle of the ages.

Congress wins! 
 
Apparantly using photoshop to put a censor-bar over ones avatar and being angry wasn't that effective
#16 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Duffy: What doesn't matter? That it is a bad title? Let's not even get started on the subject.

#17 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@Duffy

Here is the video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8S8eJkMW8

I also wanted to give my opinion on the matter. I've seen a couple of threads were some people don't like the content that is created by the video game journalists and developers on the video and some don't think that boycotting E3 will do anything, but whether you like the guys or not or whether you think boycotting E3 will work isn't the point. We are all against SOPA and PIPA, we know nothing good can come of them and I think we need to express this and this is our chance to. If boycotting E3 turns out to do nothing, then so what. All it can do is show is our lack of support for SOPA and PIPA. The people behind SOPA and PIPA are probably thrilled that SOPA and PIPA got this far in the first place, and they're probably counting on people not expressing their hatred for these Bills.

But this is just my opinion, if you think differently then post below etc.

Im not saying that convincing the esa to drop support for sopa is not a worthy cause. What im saying is that boycotting e3 is not the right battle.
#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@Dagbiker
@Duffy

Here is the video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8S8eJkMW8

I also wanted to give my opinion on the matter. I've seen a couple of threads were some people don't like the content that is created by the video game journalists and developers on the video and some don't think that boycotting E3 will do anything, but whether you like the guys or not or whether you think boycotting E3 will work isn't the point. We are all against SOPA and PIPA, we know nothing good can come of them and I think we need to express this and this is our chance to. If boycotting E3 turns out to do nothing, then so what. All it can do is show is our lack of support for SOPA and PIPA. The people behind SOPA and PIPA are probably thrilled that SOPA and PIPA got this far in the first place, and they're probably counting on people not expressing their hatred for these Bills.

But this is just my opinion, if you think differently then post below etc.

Im not saying that convincing the esa to drop support for sopa is not a worthy cause. What im saying is that boycotting e3 is not the right battle.
Sorry, double negitive, convincing the esa to drop sopa is a worthy cause.
#19 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2733 posts) -
@crusader8463: I think only poll threads can have long titles. Not sure if it's deliberate or just some bug they never fixed.
#20 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@Duffy said:

@crusader8463: I just typed to the end hoping it wouldn't cut me off, and funnily enough it didn't. I didn't want to make a long title myself it's just there was nowhere that I could give the poll context.

ESA members tackle SOPA: boycotting E3 the next step?

That's a hell of a lot more succinct.

Saying that, I'm not entirely sure protesting SOPA/PIPA will be relevant come May.

#21 Posted by AlisterCat (5732 posts) -

@Duffy said:

@AlisterCat: Why?

Long thread titles are terrible.

Online
#22 Posted by xdaknightx69 (450 posts) -

holy shit that was a long ass title

#23 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:

@Duffy said:

@AlisterCat: Why?

Long thread titles are terrible.

Also, threads with long titles usually get locked because of the long title. So all we can do now is sit and wait
#24 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

This thread is terrible and you should feel bad.

No, this is actually a pretty good question, though the relevence of it will be nill by the time the SOPA/PIPA decision is over.

I used to have a lot of respect or the ESA, but their involvement with the SOPA lobbyists just reeks of bad business. They complain ever year about how difficult it is to find funding for e3 put on this show, yet they still have the money to pay off people who support a method of restriction that they know won't work, it doesn't make any sense.

Unfortunately, if things go our way, by the time this is over very few companies will remember the ESA's involvement. But between GDC, PAXEast, PAXprime, ComicCon and...that one in germany who's name I can't remember, a boycott of e3 could take place with no real negative fallout for individual developers.

#25 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@Dagbiker: @Dagbiker said:

@Dagbiker
@Duffy

Here is the video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8S8eJkMW8

I also wanted to give my opinion on the matter. I've seen a couple of threads were some people don't like the content that is created by the video game journalists and developers on the video and some don't think that boycotting E3 will do anything, but whether you like the guys or not or whether you think boycotting E3 will work isn't the point. We are all against SOPA and PIPA, we know nothing good can come of them and I think we need to express this and this is our chance to. If boycotting E3 turns out to do nothing, then so what. All it can do is show is our lack of support for SOPA and PIPA. The people behind SOPA and PIPA are probably thrilled that SOPA and PIPA got this far in the first place, and they're probably counting on people not expressing their hatred for these Bills.

But this is just my opinion, if you think differently then post below etc.

Im not saying that convincing the esa to drop support for sopa is not a worthy cause. What im saying is that boycotting e3 is not the right battle.
Sorry, double negitive, convincing the esa to drop sopa is a worthy cause.

That's a fair point, it's just I feel like we have nothing to lose by fighting this battle. What other battle is there for us to fight? We could all make a significant impact because I think we as a community could totally do this. I also think the fact that E3 is in June long after SOPA and PIPA will be decided on is a fair point too. But I think the guys behind the video realize this. And who knows if it will be the end of this bill or fight in general. I think that if your saying you don't want to boycott E3 then your supporting SOPA and PIPA, unless you have a good reason and my point is I personally don't think I've heard any. But again if I'm wrong please let me know.

#26 Posted by ServbotSteve (15 posts) -

I think the idea of the video is to say that we will boycott E3 should the ESA continue support for SOPA/PIPA. E3 is one of the biggest money makers for the ESA. Lobbyists and political folks tend to listen when you grab their wallet by the balls. I'm in favor of saying we won't go if the ESA continues support.

#27 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@AlisterCat said:

@Duffy said:

@AlisterCat: Why?

Long thread titles are terrible.

Also, threads with long titles usually get locked because of the long title. So all we can do now is sit and wait

well if they get locked then that's a legit reason to shorten it! Can I edit the title now?

#28 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@Duffy

@Dagbiker: @Dagbiker said:

@Dagbiker
@Duffy

Here is the video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8S8eJkMW8

I also wanted to give my opinion on the matter. I've seen a couple of threads were some people don't like the content that is created by the video game journalists and developers on the video and some don't think that boycotting E3 will do anything, but whether you like the guys or not or whether you think boycotting E3 will work isn't the point. We are all against SOPA and PIPA, we know nothing good can come of them and I think we need to express this and this is our chance to. If boycotting E3 turns out to do nothing, then so what. All it can do is show is our lack of support for SOPA and PIPA. The people behind SOPA and PIPA are probably thrilled that SOPA and PIPA got this far in the first place, and they're probably counting on people not expressing their hatred for these Bills.

But this is just my opinion, if you think differently then post below etc.

Im not saying that convincing the esa to drop support for sopa is not a worthy cause. What im saying is that boycotting e3 is not the right battle.
Sorry, double negitive, convincing the esa to drop sopa is a worthy cause.

That's a fair point, it's just I feel like we have nothing to lose by fighting this battle. What other battle is there for us to fight? We could all make a significant impact because I think we as a community could totally do this. I also think the fact that E3 is in June long after SOPA and PIPA will be decided on is a fair point too. But I think the guys behind the video realize this. And who knows if it will be the end of this bill or fight in general. I think that if your saying you don't want to boycott E3 then your supporting SOPA and PIPA, unless you have a good reason and my point is I personally don't think I've heard any. But again if I'm wrong please let me know.

You cant think in absolutes, just because someone dosent boycott e3 dosent mean they havent sent letters to their representives.
#29 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Duffy: Just the fact that it's long is a legit reason to shorten it. Unfortunately, no, you can't edit it.

#30 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@Buscemi said:

@Duffy: Just the fact that it's long is a legit reason to shorten it. Unfortunately, no, you can't edit it.

Why? You haven't justified anything

#31 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1257 posts) -

Congress won't care if a bunch of gamers don't go to E3...

#32 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Duffy said:

@Buscemi said:

@Duffy: Just the fact that it's long is a legit reason to shorten it. Unfortunately, no, you can't edit it.

Why? You haven't justified anything

You write the oddest things. Lesson of the day: let's not make titles with 42 words in them.

#33 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Duffy

@Dagbiker: @Dagbiker said:

@Dagbiker
@Duffy

Here is the video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8S8eJkMW8

I also wanted to give my opinion on the matter. I've seen a couple of threads were some people don't like the content that is created by the video game journalists and developers on the video and some don't think that boycotting E3 will do anything, but whether you like the guys or not or whether you think boycotting E3 will work isn't the point. We are all against SOPA and PIPA, we know nothing good can come of them and I think we need to express this and this is our chance to. If boycotting E3 turns out to do nothing, then so what. All it can do is show is our lack of support for SOPA and PIPA. The people behind SOPA and PIPA are probably thrilled that SOPA and PIPA got this far in the first place, and they're probably counting on people not expressing their hatred for these Bills.

But this is just my opinion, if you think differently then post below etc.

Im not saying that convincing the esa to drop support for sopa is not a worthy cause. What im saying is that boycotting e3 is not the right battle.
Sorry, double negitive, convincing the esa to drop sopa is a worthy cause.

That's a fair point, it's just I feel like we have nothing to lose by fighting this battle. What other battle is there for us to fight? We could all make a significant impact because I think we as a community could totally do this. I also think the fact that E3 is in June long after SOPA and PIPA will be decided on is a fair point too. But I think the guys behind the video realize this. And who knows if it will be the end of this bill or fight in general. I think that if your saying you don't want to boycott E3 then your supporting SOPA and PIPA, unless you have a good reason and my point is I personally don't think I've heard any. But again if I'm wrong please let me know.

You cant think in absolutes, just because someone dosent boycott e3 dosent mean they havent sent letters to their representives.

That's true, I was being rhetorical. Like why wouldn't you boycott E3 if there's a chance that it could make a difference. Because I don't think the fact that E3 is on after the bills are meant to be passed is a reason to despair. If the ESA saw a movement against E3 they could withdraw their support. Can anyone say they really know that this can't happen, because if it is a real possibility then why not boycott E3. Is there a good reason not to hold out for this possibility? I've heard some people saying that it could do more damage then it would be worth, I think this would be a legit reason, but do we really know this?

#34 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@Buscemi: Buscemi I'd like you to know that I'm not going to address you any more unless I feel your worth replying to because I don't think you've said anything constructive to any of the arguments in this thread so far. No hard feelings, I'm sure your a nice guy :)

#35 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I don't even know how the two relate but I'm watching E3 this year anyway.

#36 Posted by JM12088 (40 posts) -

I like E3 more than freedom. Sorry.

#37 Posted by Jeffsekai (7054 posts) -

You don't understand how this industry works if you think boycotting E3 would ever happen.

#38 Posted by Sherlock_Pwnz (49 posts) -

It's a threat. A way of getting the ESA to listen. Regardless of whether it actually happens or not, it's about getting them to realise that if they don't change their stance their reputation could be damaged. I think that this is at least worth the discussion.

#39 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

I don't think the video game industry matters enough for it to make a significant impact on congress. The only way congress and the rest of the world would pay attention is if google closed down for a day. And that will never happen.

#40 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#41 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@Sherlock_Pwnz said:

It's a threat. A way of getting the ESA to listen. Regardless of whether it actually happens or not, it's about getting them to realise that if they don't change their stance their reputation could be damaged. I think that this is at least worth the discussion.

I agree

#42 Posted by Duffy (124 posts) -

@Yanngc33 said:

I don't think the video game industry matters enough for it to make a significant impact on congress. The only way congress and the rest of the world would pay attention is if google closed down for a day. And that will never happen.

I don't think you should take into account whether or not the game industry matters, I think it's the same as voting, it still counts. We may not be the most significant part of the movement against SOPA and PIPA but if everyone thought that then their wouldn't be as strong a movement there is against SOPA or PIPA, hell there mightn't of even been a movement at all.

#43 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

I think you, as an American, should boycott anything or anyone that is supporting less freedoms and more censorship. Boycotts and protests are some of the most patriotic things you as an American can do. You are unamerican if you believe we should sit down and let the Government do their work. The values and principles that America was founded on, however, are not things just Americans should be upholding or standing for. If you are a European, especially one in the U.K and other North Americans you should also consider speaking out and fighting against these two bills. The values America was founded on are not American specific and it's arrogant to think so, so defending them as a European is not a waste of breath as we all know if America goes through with this, the U.K and mainland Europe may be next. It's all about precedent. If other Governments see that the American people were eager to bend over and take it in the butt by their leaders, then even the educated and evolved Europe will try to do it as well. Other Governments are not above this level of barbarity and tyranny.

I always boycott E3 anyway, so it's nothing new to me. I prefer to just wait and access trailers post event when they're not surrounded by publisher sponsored hype and journalist bias.

#44 Posted by TheVideoHustler (404 posts) -

@49th: Where will I get my baldy animated porn now?

#45 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I don't care.

#46 Posted by Scrawnto (2467 posts) -

I don't think most of us are in a position to boycott E3. I know I've never attended the show, anyway. It's primarily press and developers/publishers who hold the power to boycott the show. That said, even if the bill passes and it's old news by the time E3 rolled around, I would support a boycott of the show by exhibitors.

#47 Edited by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Man, the dude with the shitty beard is REALLY bad at reading lines without looking like he is reading lines. 
 
Edit: lets not Boycott E3. It will all be over by then.

#48 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I will boycott E3, but only because I never watch or attend it anyway, and I want to feel like I'm making a difference, without having to do anything anyway.

#49 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Duffy: I've said at least one constructive thing: that damn thread title is too long. How is that not constructive? People should get a clear view on what the hell their clicking without having to read over forty words, duder. Ignore me all you want, it doesn't change the fact that I'm right.