• 114 results
#1 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -

I've recently had to opportunity to observe a curious spectacle that I had caught hints of before, but never from a perspective this close. Long story short, here it goes:

So this girl I know and hang out with (but we're not dating) by the name of Jen has always dressed well, demure and modest. She's one of these women who you think are on their way to church until you realize it's Tuesday. She dresses like that, and always has.

Until this other girl, Tina, started coming around, that is. Tina dresses somewhat provocatively but not going so far as the 'fuck me' outfits. Pretty good amounts of cleavage, sometimes an exposed midriff, etc. 

Suddenly, I see Jen start dropping her neckline and her skirts started going up. I watched the secret, unspoken contest between these two women play out for a few weeks and finally asked Jen something about it. 

"We dress like this for you guys, it's not like we wear clothes like this at home."

I called bullshit. She's not dressing like that for any man, she's dressing like that because she's trying to 'out-do' Tina. Period. She's jealous.

Women hate other women, I swear. This is just one example of two women playing the one-upmanship game, but what kinda stands on my last nerve is instead of just admitting that they're competing against each other, they have to pin the 'blame' as it were on my gender.

Personally I prefer demure dress to sexy, it leaves more to unravel later. 

So, GB, who is right? Do women dress sexy for men or to steal the thunder from the other women in the room?

#2 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

I know one thing, guy. They ain't dressing for me that's for damn sure.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

I WIN!
#4 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (322 posts) -

War, what is it good for?

#5 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -

Holy stereotyping batman.  So, if one of your friends is dressing like a slut to outdo your other slut friends, that means that all women are sluts trying to do outdo their slutty friends?  Pretty clear logic.
#6 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5403 posts) -

CRASHING AND BURNING CRASHING AND BURNING!

#7 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

It's a bit of both.  They are competing for our attention and to do that they have to out-do each other.  So if they think we're giving more attention to the one that is dressed more provocatively they will probably start showing a bit more skin, or doing whatever they think is winning the attention. 

I've had a girl tell me that it comes down to one thing which you did say though.. " Women hate other women".  Whether they admit it themselves or not,  competition is part of human nature. 

But what do I know, I'm not a Chemist.

#8 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Not all women hate all other women. And I also don't see how them saying they're dressing that way for men is somehow 'pinning the blame' on men. Who's really to blame for anything?

#9 Edited by melcene (3034 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim: As a chick, I'd say both.  Yes, they're trying to outdo each other.  And getting a guy to notice is part of that. 

However, it could also simply be that your friend didn't really have the confidence to dress like that until she started hanging out with this other girl.  I have a friend who never wore anything but jeans and hoodies till her and I started hanging out.  I practically dressed her out of my closet sometimes so she would at least look a little more feminine before we go double date for dinner or something.   Now she at least makes sure to have cute tops on under the hoodies lol
#10 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@phish09 said:

" Holy stereotyping batman.  So, if one of your friends is dressing like a slut to outdo your other slut friends, that means that all women are sluts trying to do outdo their slutty friends?  Pretty clear logic. "

Way to comprehend the point, Robin. Back to the Bat-Boy room.

FYI, the word "ALL" appeared 0 times in my entire post. The only scope I gave was as follows:
 This is just one example of two women
#11 Posted by l4wd0g (2016 posts) -

They dress to impress other women.

#12 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

They dress for attention, but are only happy as long as its the right kind of attention.

Just my two cents.

#13 Posted by Kyreo (4602 posts) -

Themselves and other woman.  Maybe a guy, but mostly other woman.

#14 Posted by Carbon (23 posts) -
@Ezekeilpurger said:
" War, what is it good for? "
Cleavage and short skirts, apparently.
#15 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@fwylo said:
" It's a bit of both.  They are competing for our attention and to do that they have to out-do each other.  So if they think we're giving more attention to the one that is dressed more provocatively they will probably start showing a bit more skin, or doing whatever they think is winning the attention.  I've had a girl tell me that it comes down to one thing which you did say though.. " Women hate other women".  Whether they admit it themselves or not,  competition is part of human nature.  But what do I know, I'm not a Chemist. "
But why do women think all men automatically prefer more skin? I prefer an evening gown over a mini skirt, for instance. 

Talk about an automatic stereotype. "He's a guy, if I show more cleavage he'll pay more attention to me."  Not this guy, lady.
#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@l4wd0g said:
" They dress to impress other women. "
hahaha
#17 Posted by swamplord666 (1763 posts) -

Bitches ain't hoes!

#18 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
"
 I WIN!
"

YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOUNG DETECTIVE!
#19 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5403 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
" @phish09 said:

" Holy stereotyping batman.  So, if one of your friends is dressing like a slut to outdo your other slut friends, that means that all women are sluts trying to do outdo their slutty friends?  Pretty clear logic. "

FYI, the word "ALL" appeared 0 times in my entire post. The only scope I gave was as follows:
 This is just one example of two women "
When you say Women, its implied you mean at least most women which is still stereotyping.  You also said those two women were examples of what women feel of each other.
#20 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
" @fwylo said:
" It's a bit of both.  They are competing for our attention and to do that they have to out-do each other.  So if they think we're giving more attention to the one that is dressed more provocatively they will probably start showing a bit more skin, or doing whatever they think is winning the attention.  I've had a girl tell me that it comes down to one thing which you did say though.. " Women hate other women".  Whether they admit it themselves or not,  competition is part of human nature.  But what do I know, I'm not a Chemist. "
But why do women think all men automatically prefer more skin? I prefer an evening gown over a mini skirt, for instance.   Talk about an automatic stereotype. "He's a guy, if I show more cleavage he'll pay more attention to me."  Not this guy, lady. "
Again, it's not necessarily about men.  It's also simply a self-confidence thing.  A woman who has cleavage to show feels more self confident than the woman in a baggy t-shirt hiding that she's flat as a washboard.  And the latter is wearing a big baggy t-shirt because she cant properly fill a lot of the cuter stuff that may not be provocative.
#21 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@l4wd0g said:
" They dress to impress other women. "
I think that's true for Amber Heard, but not for most other girls. 

From what I can tell, unless you meet one of those "manic pixie dream girls" who just don't give a fuck about who they impress, girls dress for the most part (either knowingly or not) for others, not to mention the fact that society dictates that we all have to wear clothing. 

I used to really like fixing myself up a ton, buying clothes, putting gel in my hair, wearing clean shoes, etc. Now, I've gotten so lazy that I never iron anything anymore, I've worn the same shoes day after day after day and I just shave my head instead of actually bothering to fix it in any manner. I still subconsciously dress myself though because I want to impress (even though, let's face  it, I'm not all that impressive looking). Some girls, even if they won't admit it, are the same way.
#22 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
"

@Abyssfull said:
"

"

Great. Now I'm gonna be hard all day.
#23 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim: You can thank society for that.  Sex sells.
#24 Posted by jclane (345 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: I feel like a need a real long cold shower after that. I'm talking aeons. "Whoohooo,Nanako,I'm home."
#25 Posted by markini6 (451 posts) -

If it's the same as me, it's for confidence and also the feeling of superiority when you look at someone and you're better dressed than them. It's douchey, but true.

#26 Posted by medacris (674 posts) -

I/my female friends dress modestly, but in a way that doesn't make me look like a slob. Well-fitted jeans, t-shirt or tank top, a few accessories. I've never felt the urge to dress revealingly, and to be honest, I really don't enjoy the way I look, so revealing a lot of skin or wearing something super feminine would make me uncomfortable. The guys who I hang out with (some of who have asked me out) don't seem to mind, so it's not an issue.

#27 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Fajita_Jim said:
" @phish09 said:

When you say Women, its implied you mean at least most women which is still stereotyping.  You also said those two women were examples of what women feel of each other. "
Women is the plural ofr woman. If there are women in the room, that can mean anything from 2-infinity. You're just reading into it what you want to, rather than what I said.
#28 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@melcene said:
" @Fajita_Jim said:
" @fwylo said:
But why do women think all men automatically prefer more skin? I prefer an evening gown over a mini skirt, for instance.   Talk about an automatic stereotype. "He's a guy, if I show more cleavage he'll pay more attention to me."  Not this guy, lady. "
Again, it's not necessarily about men.  It's also simply a self-confidence thing.  A woman who has cleavage to show feels more self confident than the woman in a baggy t-shirt hiding that she's flat as a washboard.  And the latter is wearing a big baggy t-shirt because she cant properly fill a lot of the cuter stuff that may not be provocative. "
Personally, I find this more feminine and hot:

Than this:

It's insulting when women think I prefer the latter simply because I have a penis.
#29 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

Jen and Tina sound young.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Where's Pepsiman? Or PixelPrinny?

#31 Edited by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@JasonR86 said:

" Jen and Tina sound young. "

Jen and Tina sound like they're like 15 or something. 

@Video_Game_King said:

" Where's Pepsiman? Or PixelPrinny? "

PixelPrinny left Giant Bomb a while ago :( 

@Fajita_Jim: Trashy is sometimes attractive, if only because it appeals to our natural male instincts , but only some girls can pull that look off. 
#32 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@JasonR86 said:
" Jen and Tina sound young. "
Jen is 24 and Tina is 22, so yeah they're young. I'm 34. We aren't involved in any way, just friends.
#33 Posted by TobbRobb (4841 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: WHY DOES THIS EXIST@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Abyssfull said:
"
 I WIN!
"

" WHY DOES THIS EXIST
#34 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim

Wow, I was thinking high school.  I'm 23 and they sound young to me.  Yikes.

#35 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:

"
Oh Christ, man. What did I ever do to you?!
#36 Posted by dilllweeddude (42 posts) -

WOMEN HATE OTHER WOMEN.....only when they are better looking of course otherwise it doesn't matter. also she prob has confidence issues otherwise she wouldn't feel the need to dress that way. plain and simple. i bet shes less attractive, the one trying to dress more sexy then originally.

#37 Edited by melcene (3034 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim: But see, you're also being sexist by taking it that far.  We could simply be talking about the difference between: 

This girl wearing a big, baggie guys-sized Horde JINX hoodie 

or this girl wearing girls-sized Horde JINX hoodie 

Do you see what I mean?  This isn't about trashy vs. classy.  At least when I talk about girls dressing to their confidence.  Trashy doesn't have to come into it at all.
#38 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@melcene said:
" @Fajita_Jim: But see, you're also being sexist by taking it that far.  We could simply be talking about the difference between: 

This girl wearing a big, baggie guys-sized Horde JINX hoodie 

or this girl wearing girls-sized Horde JINX hoodie 

"
Am I? I thought I was pretty clear in my description of what they were wearing, I didn't realize anyone would read into it any other way. I am most defiantly NOT talking about those styles, but rather more like the two pics I posted above. Jen dresses (dressed) as in the first pic and Tina as in the second. I am most certainly not making a comment on all fashions and women, just two particular women and their respective fashions, nothing more.

I just find it interesting that one can influence the other in such a way, and that both seem to think its for the men in their lives.
#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

I am sexier then any other chick and I will take on any clothing contest with pleasure.

That, or I murder her and dump her body.
And if a guy happens to notice (the sexy clothing part, not the body dumping), that's cool, two birds with one stone right?

Like Melcene says, its good to show your strong points.
That's why I like muscled men in tanktops...if you're hiding underneath a sweater how can I ever fall in love with your biceps?

#40 Edited by waitwhat (247 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @Fajita_Jim said:

" @phish09 said:

When you say Women, its implied you mean at least most women which is still stereotyping.  You also said those two women were examples of what women feel of each other. "
Women is the plural ofr woman. If there are women in the room, that can mean anything from 2-infinity. You're just reading into it what you want to, rather than what I said. "
 when you say "Women hate other women, I swear," you would be referring to at least 4 wimmins.

fyi - there are not infinite wimmins.
#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" I am sexier then any other chick and I will take on any clothing contest with pleasure.  That, or I murder her and dump her body. And if a guy happens to notice (the sexy clothing part, not the body dumping), that's cool, two birds with one stone right?  Like Melcene says, its good to show your strong points. That's why I like muscled men in tanktops...if you're hiding underneath a sweater how can I ever fall in love with your biceps? "
what is this creature ?
#42 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -
@TobbRobb:  BECAUSE IT HAS TO
@Azteck: Dojima found his persona and learned to accept his inner self.
#43 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
" I prefer an evening gown over a mini skirt, for instance.  "

The way this is stated makes me imagine a man preying on widows at their husband's funerals.
#44 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
" @melcene said:

Am I? I thought I was pretty clear in my description of what they were wearing, I didn't realize anyone would read into it any other way. I am most defiantly NOT talking about those styles, but rather more like the two pics I posted above. Jen dresses (dressed) as in the first pic and Tina as in the second. I am most certainly not making a comment on all fashions and women, just two particular women and their respective fashions, nothing more.  I just find it interesting that one can influence the other in such a way, and that both seem to think its for the men in their lives. "
Bullshit.  Jen didn't walk around wearing evening gowns all day, and you as much as admitted that Tina didn't walk around in hooker attire.  So I'm trying to bring it to everyday wear.
#45 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: ... what did his boss look like?
#46 Posted by CharkeeFarlee (896 posts) -

Women should dress for themselves. 

#47 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@waitwhat said:

" @Fajita_Jim said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @Fajita_Jim said:

" @phish09 said:

Women is the plural ofr woman. If there are women in the room, that can mean anything from 2-infinity. You're just reading into it what you want to, rather than what I said. "
 when you say "Women hate other women, I swear," you would be referring to at least 4 wimmins. "
Notice how that sentence is it's own paragraph (edit: I just looked, the break didn't take so looks like its the start of the next paragraph, damn GB text editor), with no supporting sentences and no clarification behind it? It's an off-the-cuff, not-really-serious, shaking-my-head-and-whistling-between-my-teeth remark. Make of it what you will.
#48 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

I would think age factors in quite a bit. But yeah, we do dress to impress and attract. But sometimes you don't want to feel like the lone frumpy chick in a room full of mini skirts (cue societal pressure). Self Confidence is a huge variable.

#49 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -
@Azteck: You do not want to know, trust me.
#50 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -
@auspiciousqueue said:
" I would think age factors in quite a bit. But yeah, we do dress to impress and attract. But sometimes you don't want to feel like the lone frumpy chick in a room full of mini skirts (cue societal pressure). Self Confidence is a huge variable. "
Great way to put it, truly.