#1 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

The much hyped zombie book has been turned into a movie about BRAD PITT fighting zombies, and the first trailer is out.

Not to spoil anything for those who don't want to watch, but A) the computer graphics look rather outdated, B) whoever made this movie apparently really likes showing zombies as churning floods of human bodies, and C) HELL OF BWAAHM. It also looks like they just took I Am Legend (the movie) and are showing how it all went down.

I never had a chance to read the book, so I dunno how accurate this is. For those of you who have read it, how's this look? And is the book worth checking out? I know it got a lot of love when it was released, and I'm curious if that still holds.

#2 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3795 posts) -

This movie could be rad, I'm really hoping it is, but it's so far from the book that it's kinda a bummer. The book takes place after the war and humans have fought back the Zombies and it's basically a journalist getting a bunch of first hand accounts of the different stages. An american in the army, a chinese submarine captain, an english historian etc. The book is incredible you should totally check it out. Also slow zombies which I always prefer.

#3 Edited by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

This is not accurate to the book. At all. The book is definitely worth checking out - it's nothing spectacular, but the format and the style of how it weaves its zombie narrative is rather unique, and on the whole, pretty fun. Whilst this could be fun in a dumb zombie/action movie (ZOMBIE WAVES!) way, this looks nothing even remotely like WWZ the novel, except for in name and the fact that there is some kind of undead in there.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11663 posts) -

Looks like it could be cool. Or it might be crap. The trailer made it look like one of those popcorn movies you and a few friends would go see because it's Saturday afternoon and you've all got fifteen bucks and a few hours to kill.

As long as you keep your expectations in check (i.e. 28 Days Later this ain't), it should be all right.

#5 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Movie looks like it could be alright. The book is amazing though. Also check out the audiobook if you're into that. It's got a great bunch of actors playing different characters. 

#6 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

I can't believe Max Brooks signed off on this, it looks like it totally goes against the whole fiction of his books.

#7 Posted by troll93 (386 posts) -

Going by first impressions, it might, might be remaking some of the stories of each part but instead of jumping between them with different leads, just having Brad Pitt as the main in all of them.

This is a concept that I can see why they did it, the only other way would be to make it like the animatrix, which I think would be great but you can't screen that well at the movies.

Also, go read the book, it is one of the better books that I have read in a while. Also, if you are looking for something ele to read, I can't recommend anything more than Seven Ancient Wonders (Seven Deadly Wonders in the USA), or anything else by Mathhew Reilly. They are my favourite books of the past 10 years, including the game of thrones books.

#8 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

@Ramone said:

I can't believe Max Brooks signed off on this, it looks like it totally goes against the whole fiction of his books.

If look closely towards the end you see Israel, so I think there may be more than meets the eye to the movie.

Also the book totally holds up, to put it in perspective of how good it is, one of my politics professors lists it as a textbook for political psychology, it's really fucking good.

#9 Posted by Chaser324 (6329 posts) -

The best part of the book is that it delivers its crazy zombie story in the style of non-fiction documentary. That's something that does not appear to have been translated over to the film, and I'm not sure that it'll really be anything all that special without that.

I wish they had gotten someone like Neil Blomkamp (District 9) to take the helm on this.

#10 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

B) whoever made this movie apparently really likes showing zombies as churning floods of human bodies

Yeah it's really weird, honestly judging from this trailer alone you wouldn't even know they were zombies, they just seem like crazy humans who have suddenly started swarming together for some reason. The only zombie you see up close doesn't look or even sound particularly like a traditional zombie, though perhaps this is closer to a rage type thing like the 28 series. It looks like 2012 if they replaced all the water effects with CGI zombies.

I haven't read the book (though I do own it) so can't really help you on that front, I did try reading through the zombie survival guide (written by the same guy) but found it too self serious in a way and much more like an actual guide than I was expecting. The lists of weapons and items and how they could be effectively applied to the situation got a little tedious, it was all very dry despite being about something so unrealistic.

#11 Edited by LTSmash (603 posts) -

@Eidderf said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

I haven't read the book (though I do own it) so can't really help you on that front, I did try reading through the zombie survival guide (written by the same guy) but found it too self serious in a way and much more like an actual guide than I was expecting. The lists of weapons and items and how they could be effectively applied to the situation got a little tedious, it was all very dry despite being about something so unrealistic.

I had the same problem with The Zombie Survival Guide, but found World War Z to be a real page-turner.

#12 Posted by DukesT3 (1893 posts) -

Oh fuck this.

#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3795 posts) -

@Eidderf said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

B) whoever made this movie apparently really likes showing zombies as churning floods of human bodies

Yeah it's really weird, honestly judging from this trailer alone you wouldn't even know they were zombies, they just seem like crazy humans who have suddenly started swarming together for some reason. The only zombie you see up close doesn't look or even sound particularly like a traditional zombie, though perhaps this is closer to a rage type thing like the 28 series. It looks like 2012 if they replaced all the water effects with CGI zombies.

That's part of what I love about the Survival Guide. It's so absurd but done so straight forward. If you quit before finishing you should skip to the end and read the historical accounts, some of those are real cool.

#14 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

I was interested in this movie, but this trailer just took away any interest I had left. Maybe it's just a bad trailer, but I wasn't expecting this movie to turn into an action flick.

#15 Posted by Capum15 (4819 posts) -

...were those zombies running?...

The fuck?

Also, it looks like they threw the documentary style out the window.

Oh well. The book is still awesome, though now I have no clue how the movie will be. Might just be an okay action flick or something. Not all too interested anymore.

#16 Posted by CoverlessTech (737 posts) -

Well this is quickly shaping up to be the worst zombie movie ever. Shit looks worst then Survival of the Dead. Shame to because the book is really good.

#17 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3795 posts) -

@CoverlessTech said:

Well this is quickly shaping up to be the worst zombie movie ever. Shit looks worst then Survival of the Dead. Shame to because the book is really good.

Dude there is zero chance it could be worse then the last few ___ of the Dead movies. I don't know what happened to George Romero but holy hell are those ever terrible.

#18 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN SOMETHING TO ME

Ok..

Why make an adaption from a book if the film is going to be totally different? The whole point of WWZ was to document the experiences of people around the globe AFTER a zombie epidemic. Unless Brad Pitt is playing 7 different people, I don't get why the hell he couldn't just title this heap something else and let someone who actually wants to adapt the book into a movie do that later on? I

EDIT:

THIS IS WWZ. Fuck you Brad Pitt! :P

#19 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3795 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Ok..

Why make an adaption from a book if the film is going to be totally different? The whole point of WWZ was to document the experiences of people around the globe AFTER a zombie epidemic. Unless Brad Pitt is playing 7 different people, I don't get why the hell he couldn't just title this heap something else and let someone who actually wants to adapt the book into a movie do that later on? I

Could be a number of reasons. Things could change after a bunch of different script writers take a crack at it, could be the suits with the money think a movie needs more explosions. It is a bummer that it's strayed so far from the source material but at this point, after it's happened so much with comic book movies and the like, I just ignore my disappointment and hope for a good movie.

To be fair I think that book would work way better as a tv show or a mini series or something. Or spread over a few different movies. It sucks we're not getting a movie version of the book but if it turns out to be a good movie I'll be ok with it.

#20 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3040 posts) -

Looks like this is a zombie flick geared towards the mainstream audience, It might be fun who know. Like most movies based on books I've read I'll save my reservations for when the movie comes out. One question though in the trailer, I'm kinda wondering what job Brad Pitt was assigned to do to maybe save the world? Also just another random thought, but wouldn't it be cool if the zombies could combine together and become a bigger entity.

#21 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6288 posts) -

Brad Pitt's presence has me hopeful, although I've never read the book. Still, the zombie genre has been done so many times, what exactly makes this any different? This can either be really good or the point in which Brad Pitt goes into "I'll do anything for a buck territory" where he'll be joined by Samuel L. Jackson and Jack Nicholson.

#22 Posted by Stonyman65 (2596 posts) -

The book is amazing. The trailer is a fucking travesty. Don't get your hopes up guys.

READ THE BOOK.

#23 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Holy shit, the CG looks terrible. Like a fucking Syfy film. No wonder they've delayed it a couple times now.

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Looks like they just wanted the name of the book instead of creating an adaptation of it.

#25 Edited by SlickShoes (13 posts) -

BWAAAAAAAAAAM its just this with zombies:

#26 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Damn, I was hoping this would be more of an anthology film with an ensemble cast full of different scenes during the war, not just a single narrative following one character. Why even option the book if you were gonna make this?

#27 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

It looks like they took the exact premise from the book.

Oh, and it looks like--after they took that premise--they disregarded it for a stereotypical big-budget zombie flick.

Also, what is up with the way the zombie mobs look? It looks ridiculous for them to be falling over each other at a hundred miles an hour like they are.

#28 Posted by mordukai (7140 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Ok..

EDIT:

Money.

#29 Posted by SomeJerk (3145 posts) -

Usain Bolt was cloned and turned into an infinite mass of zombies? I'll stick with the book and being an old bitter fuck about zombies and mobility.

#30 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

Movie looks like it could be alright. The book is amazing though. Also check out the audiobook if you're into that. It's got a great bunch of actors playing different characters.

This, the audiobook is great. Plays out like a radio drama due to the way the book is written.

#31 Edited by Hats (360 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg:The book is setup as collection of interviews about different peoples experiences in dealing with a zombie outbreak.

Such as someone explaining how Israel fared a lot better then other nations by acting quickly and being heartless, or how the American armed forces didn't adapt to fighting the undead and paid for it.

Its a really cool book and an easy read if your interested in how it might go down if it should ever happen.

This looks to be nothing like the book just some action film where the bad guys are people who turn into ants

#32 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy:Yeah I have heard that the ending is a bit more story driven, I'll probably give getting through it another try at some point. I do get what you mean about the tone of the guide, I have a certain respect for it for trying to be so straight-faced throughout even if I didn't particularly enjoy it.

#33 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@Capum15 said:

...were those zombies running?

...The fuck?

Also, it looks like they threw the documentary style out the window.

Oh well. The book is still awesome, though now I have no clue how the movie will be. Might just be an okay action flick or something. Not all too interested anymore.

I know, right? Why can't it just be the original, slow moving zombies in action movies?

#34 Posted by Stete (725 posts) -

Yeah, PG-13 zombie movie, good luck with that.

Also you should definitely read the book, alongside with The Zombie Survival Guide. And I would definitely recommend the physical book over the audio book because even though they put alot of effort into it by hiring different actors and such, it is missing some of the better stories that are in the book.

#35 Posted by Cheesebob (1232 posts) -

Brad Pitt trying to get that big budget bucks again before he loses all relevancy.

#36 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

What this guy said. I've not read the book, but I understand it's meant to be a report to the UN or some such, so as a radio play the premise probably works far better in this form (at least for me it's engaging). Some of Lovecraft's stuff has been done as radio plays too, like the Shadow over Innsmouth (with Donald Sutherland!).

#37 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Ok..

Could be a number of reasons. Things could change after a bunch of different script writers take a crack at it, could be the suits with the money think a movie needs more explosions. It is a bummer that it's strayed so far from the source material but at this point, after it's happened so much with comic book movies and the like, I just ignore my disappointment and hope for a good movie.

To be fair I think that book would work way better as a tv show or a mini series or something. Or spread over a few different movies. It sucks we're not getting a movie version of the book but if it turns out to be a good movie I'll be ok with it.

Why even call it World War Z then? I doubt that name holds that much sway with film going audiences.

#38 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

I'm curious as to how this is going to go since they brought in Damon Lindelof (of Lost/Prometheus fame) to fix the third act of the script apparently. Maybe they just had him erase large chunks.

I know it has nothing to do with the book, but I do find the idea of a "zombie swarm" like the trailer shows pretty interesting. It's a new take on the guys that could be cool. Not at all like the book though.

@dudeglove said:

@Breadfan said:

What this guy said. I've not read the book, but I understand it's meant to be a report to the UN or some such, so as a radio play the premise probably works far better in this form (at least for me it's engaging). Some of Lovecraft's stuff has been done as radio plays too, like the Shadow over Innsmouth (with Donald Sutherland!).

The real way this should have been done was Ken Burn's World War Z on PBS.

#39 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Ok..

EDIT:

This for sure. That trailer just turned me the fuck off on that movie. Also World War Z's zombies were the slow shambling type but I guess that doesn't make for a compelling movie anymore. I think I'll just read the book again, fuck that movie.

I would have been on board if the journalist was Brad going around talking to all of the people and the movie would just consist of multiple flashbacks to several key moments of the rising epidemic and aftermath.

#40 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

The book was awesome. I didn't think the trailer was terrible, but the zombies do have an I am Legend sort of thing going on with the. Instead of remaining faithful to the book, they've decided to go another route so they can cash in while zombies are still popular.

#41 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2571 posts) -

The book was very poorly conceived and written, so I surely hope the movie is different.

#42 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

its easily one of my favorite books ive ever read.

the movie trailer looks awful.