• 129 results
#1 Posted by mikey87144 (1664 posts) -

In honor of Mass Effect 3 I want to ask what's the worst ending to a story you've ever experienced? This isn't for things that have bad stories to begin with, I mean good-great stories that have terrible endings.

#2 Posted by Foxtrot0245 (319 posts) -

I really, really hated the ending to Red Dead Redemption, even though I understand that most people think it was awesome. Playing as John Marston's shitty, whiny snot-nosed son was the opposite of what made that game great.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Inb4 LA Noire

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Also LA Noire

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@Foxtrot0245: The "ending" is when Marston died. The stuff with his son doesn't matter it was simply a way for them to let you continue playing in the open world if you wanted too.

#6 Posted by wjb (1637 posts) -

Not spoiling anything since it's a recent game, but Rage.

I'm talking about the actual ending and the events leading up to it. When I got to the final cut-scene, I was like, "Wait...that was the final mission?"

#7 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

I believe that this is the wrong forum for this.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

I didn't really like either of the Bioshock endings. They set up a great setting, great atmosphere and characters and then just shit out a rushed, silly ending. Deus Ex: Human Revolution had a really, really dumb 'push the red button' ending as well. In terms of movies, Sunshine really let me down. It took a smart, creative sci-fi movie and turned it into a monster flick. Ugh.

#9 Posted by mikey87144 (1664 posts) -

Uh just to say it doesn't have to be video game related. Sopranos is another example of something with a terrible ending. I don't care how obvious it is that Tony will probably die there. Let us at least here some gunshots or something.

#10 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

Assassins Creed 1 has the worst ending of all time, and almost made me quit videogames.

#11 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (713 posts) -

the shield had a shitty ending. i have a feeling sons of anarchy will end on a shitty, bittersweet note, too. KOTOR 2's ending was bad due to it being incomplete.

#12 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

Because I'm old mcjadedman: 

Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura had the worst ending I've ever seen. The plot basically meanders around without any point, until the very last chapter of the game. Then suddenly you fight a tacked on final boss who wanted to bring all of humanity into the realm of death because death is more peaceful then life. Had nothing to do with the game and clashed badly with it's pre-steampunk steampunk thing. Top it off, the final boss glitched on me completely. He never ever attacked me once. God that was an awful game.

#13 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

TV: Battlestar Galactica

Games: Mass Effect 3

Movies: I Am Legend.

#14 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Persona 3

#15 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

#16 Posted by PassiveKaerenai (326 posts) -

Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy, or whatever...)

I only care because the opening is story-driven, and very well done. So it's tragic when the second-half devolves into a supernatural conspiracy Matrix rip-off. Classic problem, game-developers have to 'ramp up' the ending sections, and forget to finish the story they set out to tell...

#17 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (726 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Foxtrot0245: The "ending" is when Marston died. The stuff with his son doesn't matter it was simply a way for them to let you continue playing in the open world if you wanted too.

I consider the end-of-game title card after you take Jack to kill the man responsible for John's death to be the actual ending.

To answer the OP: Halo 2 possibly?

#18 Posted by Korolev (1700 posts) -

I didn't like BioShock's ending but the only ending that has actually made me very disappointed and just.... tired..... is ME3's ending. I enjoyed the game quite a lot right up till the last 15 minutes. After I saw the ending to ME3, I wasn't stunned or shell-shocked. I was just.... tired. Disappointed. Lethargic. I didn't want to do anything for 2 hours, except just stare at the ceiling in absolute defeat. Yeah, that's right - the ending to ME3 made me feel that, despite winning, I lost.

I played through ME1 and ME2 6 times. I'm not going to play ME3 a second time. Won't even consider it.

Aside from ME3's bad ending, another bad ending would be Far Cry 2's two endings - none of which were good.

Oh - yeah, now I remember, there WAS another ending that I hated (although not nearly as much as ME3's) - Killzone 2's ending.

#19 Posted by AMyggen (2538 posts) -

@RubberBabyBuggyBumpers said:

the shield had a shitty ending. i have a feeling sons of anarchy will end on a shitty, bittersweet note, too. KOTOR 2's ending was bad due to it being incomplete.

Say what?! Imo, season 7 of The Shield might be the best last season of any TV, ever. It ends perfectly. And I'm saying that as a person who's not a huge fan of the overall show, it just got the last season and the ending incredibly right.

Shows how opinions can differ, I guess.

Sons of Anarchy's ending will probably suck, because the show is pretty mediocre. The ending of this season showed that the showrunner has no balls - he should have learnt from David Simon; you put the story, not your characters, first.

#20 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

Crysis. It didn't even follow up on it properly.

#21 Posted by Xeiphyer (5594 posts) -

From what I understand, Catherine's ending is pretty horse shit? I never got around to finishing it though.

I thought Final Fantasy XIII had a terrible ending. The actual cutscene looked awesome, but the whole plot of that game makes no sense. Orphan wants you to destroy him so cocoon gets destroyed, but you don't want to, so then you go and kill him anyways. The end. What?!

#22 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

"THE ENDING OF BORDERLANDS SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED!!!!!!!!!"

#23 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

L.A. Noire. That ending came outta nowhere.

#24 Posted by RedRoach (1176 posts) -

@RubberBabyBuggyBumpers said:

Fuck you man, don;t say that about Sons of Anarchy! If that show has a terrible ending I'll hate everything forever.

The Lost ending was pretty bad, but by the time the last episode tolled around, I knew i wasn't going to get the answers i wanted. I don't remember any game endings being as disappointing as ME3 but maybe It's just because that's still fresh. I remember the Force Unleashed games had pretty bad endings, and Fable 3's whole last half was horrible. I loved the first two Fable games to death, but I couldn't even finish 3.

#25 Posted by Jeust (10473 posts) -
  • Mass Effect - the cheesiest ending I remember
  • KOTOR 2 - incomplete
  • Persona 3 - to subtle to make sense
#26 Posted by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -

ME3 lol

#27 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 of course...

Ok, fine I'll give another example. The ending to Borderlands always bugged me.

#28 Posted by gamefreak9 (2344 posts) -

I don't know if anyone agrees with me but I thought Skyrim's ending was terrible... it was just so boring. Go find the bad guy and kill him! I thought they could have had some nice twists and turns...

#29 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I am sure that the kids who picked Mass Effect 3 have never played any other game their entire life if that's the "worst" ending they can come up with.  
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Or maybe Final Fantasy 5. 

#30 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

I never played the game, but I'm sure Stroker has the worst ending.

#31 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@AlexanderSheen said:

I never played the game, but I'm sure Stroker has the worst ending.

Someone made a game where you go around as a black man(or at least his hand) and jack off Smurfs and white people? 
#32 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@will_leisure said:

I'm talking about the actual ending and the events leading up to it. When I got to the final cut-scene, I was like, "Wait...that was the final mission?"

Was it worse than Borderlands?

#33 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: Looks like it. Thanks for Sweep for letting me know about this game.

#34 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@AlexanderSheen said:

@ZeForgotten: Looks like it. Thanks for Sweep for letting me know about this game.

Why am I not surprised that it was him who made you aware of it? :P
#35 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

MegaMan Legends 2, partly because they never followed up on it.

Borderlands was also pretty bad, but not as bad as ME3.

#36 Posted by wjb (1637 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@will_leisure said:

Was it worse than Borderlands?

Hmm...you got me there...

That's a tough one because they're both equally bad for different reasons. At least with Borderlands, I knew it was the actual end (even though the end-boss wasn't a challenge) when with Rage, I assumed there would be more to it, like an actual climax.

#37 Posted by Veektarius (4590 posts) -

Kotor 2 has the legit worst ending in video games. Mass Effect 3 is very similar in the general concept, that it seems rushed and does an unsatisfactory job of tying up the stories of the characters. The difference is, Mass Effect's problems were limited to very last scene of the game, whereas Kotor 2's were the entire last area.

My least favorite ending in movies... is probably a matter of taste, but I would say Fallen is an example of a movie that'd be much better with a different ending. Yes, I know he says at the beginning that he 'almost died'. But that movie would have been much more satisfying, and still have been enough of a downer ending, if everyone *including* Azazel had died.

I have an answer for books, too, but it's too obscure to talk about specifically here. Just beware of Joe Abercrombie if you like 'gritty' fantasy. Good writer, great buildup, shafts you with the endings.

#38 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Deus Ex Human Revolution had a fucking shit ending.

#39 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4. I really dislike Mass Effect 3's ending because I invested so much into the trilogy. I invested so much more into the Metal Gear series... and I was completely unsatisfied with the fourth game. The answer to just about every question is nanomachines. They overuse nanomachines to fill in plot holes, and really, destroy the magic of the series. Psychics and vampires don't exist in real life, but that is what made the MGS series so fun. Of course, it all comes down to nanomachines. Naomi can't die? Nanomachines. Raiden is alive? Nanomachines. STOP IT. IT'S SO STUPID. Then, Big Boss shows up, and... gosh. I still pretend that MGS4 never happened, and that the story ends after MGS2.

#40 Posted by RobKenno (99 posts) -

Borderlands 
What a kick in the balls that was.

#41 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Most recently: The Darkness 2

Overall: Tie between Borderlands/Fallout 3/Deus Ex: HR

#42 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

I know it's crazy to get picky about this but the ending of SSX's (2012) deadly descent mode (the game's story mode). Having to race a guy down a slope lined with crevasses with very little visibility sucked.

#43 Edited by mikey87144 (1664 posts) -

@RobKenno: @Arker101: @jonnyboy: @JeanLuc: The story wasn't good enough for me to care about the ending in Borderlands. Loved the game, just the story was one big meh.

#44 Posted by Rapid (1346 posts) -

Musashi Samurai Legend what a dumb boss fight and then it just ends.

#45 Edited by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Fallout 3. Easily. Before and after the patch. Both of those.

Other bad endings are either funny bad or bad-bad or "This is kind of disappointing" bad Fallout 3 is "Shoot whoever wrote this" bad.

#46 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

I'd love to hear why people seem to dislike Human Revolution's ending(s) so much. While I was less than impressed with the actual mechanics behind them, I loved the endings themselves.

As for what ending I thought was the worst, has to be Halo 2. It's a lot like Mass Effect 3's ending in that it sets up something awesome, and then proceeds to under-deliver in terrible ways. Difference is, in this case, Mass Effect kept going when it shouldn't have, while Halo 2 ended before it should have. If they'd cut from Master Chief's 'Let's finish the fight.' (or whatever it was) line to one final level with you trying to stop the Prophet from invading earth, I think it would have been spectacular.

#47 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

@RobKenno: @Arker101: @jonnyboy: @JeanLuc: The story wasn't good enough for me to care about the ending in Borderlands. Loved the game, just the story was one big meh.

Oh, were talking purely story. I was thinking of Borderlands from a gameplay point of view.

I'd have to say KOTOR 2 then. Seemed like it was going somewhere interesting but then it just turned into a mess.

#48 Posted by SilverTorch1 (66 posts) -

The ending of the James Bond Quantum of Solace game was fucking awful. Anybody who has played it knows what I'm talking about.

#49 Posted by Bawlsz (84 posts) -

Rage's ending was awful, it just happens out of nowhere, Borderlands ending sucked, but the whole story sucked of Borderlands.

#50 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@James_Giant_Peach said:

Persona 3  

Dude, that's one of my favourite endings.